Exactly this, this is also one of the things that piss me off. And even worse, the player with no cursor does nothing, he isn't even concerned with the game, until you press L1 several times, and by the time you managed to get him the cursor you concede a goal.

use right stick to change the players cursors

Sometimes not even the right stick will solve the problem. I've tried selecting one player and the right stick selected a player further behind him. You waste some precious seconds in this struggle, I tell you. Enough for the opposition to take advantage of it.

I was particularly furious when playing MyClub online and the ball was bouncing in front of my box, right next to my Level 10 De Rossi. I was trying to select him with all means possible, all to no avail, and he did absolutely nothing. He just let the ball bounce right by his side. My opponent took it and scored no problems.
I know MyClub makes everything worse by dumbing down all our players, and a level 10 player is still a bit of a chump really, but still... it's a shame to concede from cheap stuff like that.

At this point, I think Konami should be looking into our AI controlled team mates, as someone else pointed out here. If there's this issue with selecting certain players, at the very least make the AI team mates smarter, for Christ's sake! If they were just a little more proactive, you know. I'd happily take a "Beginner" level of AI for them, cause as it is, they're brain dead most of the time.

nothing ban you to set some keyboards buttons as if they was the right stick directions...

C'mon, now that would be a nightmare, wouldn't it? Nothing stops him from mapping the keyboard this way, yeah, but it would be simply unplayable.

Anyways, I'm gonna quote 2 posts that echo perfectly what I feel about player switching and AI team mates awareness - which go hand in hand, inevitably. If the content of this thread is going to reach Konami in any way, these gameplay issues need to be stressed out.

Player switching; needs fixed ASAP - hopefully first patch addresses this.

Awareness - This does tie in with player switching but if you are not in control of a player its as if he forgets he's a footballer! The number of times a team mate watches a ball roll past him is unbelievable. Defenders with high defensive stats have no awareness of danger. An example of this is the number of times I'm chasing a winger down the line for my CB's to decide to start heading towards the half way line. Also playing against 1 striker, 1 of the cb's will not drop off. Defending just doesn't work in it current guise.

1) Nonreacting players. They ignore passes, they dont try to intercept passes, they dont try to clear the ball. In PES 2017 when I pressed clearence or pressure, the player would go into a 1v1 all in to try kick or get the ball. In 2018 the defender often does absolutelly nothing even if Im pressing it.

after watching that i am convinced against the AI at least the have turned penalties off in the box, and if you do get one its due to a mistake in the programming. I think that they are just not confident with their collision detection, refereeing decision making or whatever it is that is the issue with fouls.
Same for the advantage rule that has been broken for 2 years now, sorting that out alone would increase fouls outside of the box - and by sorting out i mean the advantage rule being classed as advantage once your player touches the ball when the symbol shows, regardless if any advantage is actually gained. Once contact is made that's it advantage played. If you look how FIFA implements it it is much better a player can touch the ball but if no advantage is made play is called back. How it should be

Did you notice any changes with new gameplay patch?
For me is the same... too less of CPU fouls... and it's not my play stile...
Last year i gained at least 7-8 fouls against CPU (20 minutes, superstar level)....
I do faints, fake shots, direction changes, not so much of "special abilities" as i hate mortal kombat, anyway... in real football many fouls are called when a defender try to intercept a pass from backwards, and in simple "body" collisions...
I'm really giving up... the gameplay is nice in general, but this bug of Fouls is ridicoulous...

Weak foot accuracy and usage should be reconsidered since the real effect these stats have in the game is not that noticeable and is more favored on the stronger side (players' weak foots are too accurate and used too often inside the scale). I've been forced to decrease accuracy and usage by 2 points for 99% of players.

I must admit that I miss the past 1-8 scale, despite of it not working to perfection. This is an idea with a proposed scale of six instead of four, and with a real/noticeable impact in the game alongside a realistic distribution, could provide a more realistic reflection of real life:

Weak Foot Accuracy

0.1% of players in the database (Only people named Cazorla, Adriano Correia, Pedro, Hernanes, Falcao, Maldini, Iuliano, Brehme, Kolyvanov, Sneijder, Forlán, Solskjaer, fit here. People who are as accurate as with their strong foot. 99.9% of them are right footed.

5 0.9% of players in the database (Only people named Neymar, Lallana, Kroos, Hazard, Modric, Ibrahimovic, Ribery, Villa, van Basten, Son Heung-Ming, Ronaldo, Nicolás Olivera, Moravcik, Zidane, Zambrotta, Sergi Barjuan, Nedved, Ginola, etc. fit here.)

4 14% of players in the database (Only people named Azpilicueta, Kallstrom, Lahm, Xabi Alonso,Totti, Figo, Matthaus, etc. fit here. A rare breed of GK in the mold of Ronald Waterreus fits here too.)

3 60% of players in the database (Default accuracy for most right footed players who play from the midfield and up, and lefties who are more than capable with their weak foot like Messi, van Persie, Ozil, Silva, Ryan Giggs. Other players like John Tery, Neuer and van der Sar could fit here too.)

2 24% of players in the database (Default accuracy for most GK's, most CB's/SB's and for most left footed players unless named Messi, van Persie, Sergi Barjuan, Giggs, Kallstrom, etc. Some righties such as Quaresma, Beckham, Verón may fit here too)

1 1% of players in the database (Only people named Čech, Robben, Bale, Ryan Babel, Antonio Valencia, Di María, Shaw, Moutinho, Maradona, Rivaldo, etc. fit here)

Weak Foot Usage

Same corresponding list as above. People who can actually switch foot at will for set pieces and be as accurate with their weak foot. They can transform into opposite footed players whenever they want too.

5 Same corresponding list as above, including some players with WFA 6 and WFA 4

4 Same corresponding list as above, including some players with WFA 5 and WFA

3 Most right footed players in the database who play from midfield and up, including players who highly favor their strong foot despite having a very good weak foot such as C. Ronaldo, Robert Pires, van Nistelrooij. Lefties such as van Persie and Ryan Giggs, Kallstrom could fit here. CB's who use their weak foot a lot like John Terry fit here too.

2 Default usage for most right footed players who play from the midfield and down (with WFA 2) and for most left footed players (including many lefties with WFA 3/4) unless named van Persie, Sergi Barjuan, Giggs, Kallstrom, etc.

1 Most players with WFA 1/WFA 2, and some with WFA 3/WFA 4. Same list as above, including some players with WFA 2 and WFA 3.

On another note, and I've been asking this forever, I would like to see a button combination to switch foot (and have the AI opponent switch foot if appropriate) for the main set piece taker (penalties, corners, free kicks). This should only be available for players with weak foot accuracy 5 and 6 in my proposal.

Another option is for these players to have their preferred foot options branched out. Having a default preferred foot for fk's, corners and penalty kicks.

For Example:

Preferred foot Options: right, left or both (switches foot automatically depending on the side of the pitch and at the press of a button for manual liking).

Anderson Hernanes:
Preferred Foot:Right
Weak foot accuracy:6
Weak foot frequency:6
FK foot:Both (have the option to switch foot with a button combination & AI if controlled by CPU)
CK foot:Both (have the option to switch foot with a button combination & AI if controlled by CPU)
PK foot:Both (have the option to switch foot with a button combination & AI if controlled by CPU)

Paolo Maldini:
FK foot:Left
CK foot:Both (have the option to switch foot with a button combination & AI if controlled by CPU)
PK foot:Both (have the option to switch foot with a button combination & AI if controlled by CPU)

Hernanes can take set pieces with both feet at will when he choses too, Diego Forlán still switches foot for set pieces outside and inside the area in Hong Kong. Andreas Brehme used to switch foot for taking penalties at will, Wesley Sneijder used to switch foot at will for free Kicks and corner kicks when younger, Paolo Maldini, despite being right footed, chose his left foot for kicking set pieces and making long passes. Nicolas Olivera (ex Uruguayan international) plays with his left foot but kicks penalties with his right foot.

Last edited:
Weak foot accuracy and usage should be reconsidered since the real effect these stats have in the game is not that noticeable and is more favored on the stronger side (players' weak foots are too accurate and used too often inside the scale). I've been forced to decrease accuracy and usage by 2 points for 99% of players.

I must admit that I miss the past 1-8 scale, despite of it not working to perfection. This is an idea with a proposed scale of six instead of four, and with a real/noticeable impact in the game alongside a realistic distribution, could provide a more realistic reflection of real life:

Weak Foot Accuracy

0.1% of players in the database (Only people named Cazorla, Adriano Correia, Pedro, Hernanes, Falcao, Maldini, Iuliano, Brehme, Kolyvanov, Sneijder, Forlán, Solskjaer, fit here. People who are as accurate as with their strong foot. 99.9% of them are right footed.

5 0.9% of players in the database (Only people named Neymar, Lallana, Kroos, Hazard, Modric, Ibrahimovic, Ribery, Villa, van Basten, Son Heung-Ming, Ronaldo, Nicolás Olivera, Moravcik, Zidane, Zambrotta, Sergi Barjuan, Nedved, Ginola, etc. fit here.)

4 14% of players in the database (Only people named Azpilicueta, Kallstrom, Lahm, Xabi Alonso,Totti, Figo, Matthaus, etc. fit here. A rare breed of GK in the mold of Ronald Waterreus fits here too.)

3 60% of players in the database (Default accuracy for most right footed players who play from the midfield and up, and lefties who are more than capable with their weak foot like Messi, van Persie, Ozil, Silva, Ryan Giggs. Other players like John Tery, Neuer and van der Sar could fit here too.)

2 24% of players in the database (Default accuracy for most GK's, most CB's/SB's and for most left footed players unless named Messi, van Persie, Sergi Barjuan, Giggs, Kallstrom, etc. Some righties such as Quaresma, Beckham, Verón may fit here too)

1 1% of players in the database (Only people named Čech, Robben, Bale, Ryan Babel, Antonio Valencia, Di María, Shaw, Moutinho, Maradona, Rivaldo, etc. fit here)

Weak Foot Usage

Same corresponding list as above. People who can actually switch foot at will for set pieces and be as accurate with their weak foot. They can transform into opposite footed players whenever they want too.

5 Same corresponding list as above, including some players with WFA 6 and WFA 4

4 Same corresponding list as above, including some players with WFA 5 and WFA

3 Most right footed players in the database who play from midfield and up, including players who highly favor their strong foot despite having a very good weak foot such as C. Ronaldo, Robert Pires, van Nistelrooij. Lefties such as van Persie and Ryan Giggs, Kallstrom could fit here. CB's who use their weak foot a lot like John Terry fit here too.

2 Default usage for most right footed players who play from the midfield and down (with WFA 2) and for most left footed players (including many lefties with WFA 3/4) unless named van Persie, Sergi Barjuan, Giggs, Kallstrom, etc.

1 Most players with WFA 1/WFA 2, and some with WFA 3/WFA 4. Same list as above, including some players with WFA 2 and WFA 3.

On another note, and I've been asking this forever, I would like to see a button combination to switch foot (and have the AI opponent switch foot if appropriate) for the main set piece taker (penalties, corners, free kicks). This should only be available for players with weak foot accuracy 5 and 6 in my proposal.

Another option is for these players to have their preferred foot options branched out. Having a default preferred foot for fk's, corners and penalty kicks.

For Example:

Preferred foot Options: right, left or both (switches foot automatically depending on the side of the pitch and at the press of a button for manual liking).

Anderson Hernanes:
FK foot:Both (have the option to switch foot with a button combination & AI if controlled by CPU)

Paolo Maldini:
FK foot:Left

Hernanes can take set pieces with both feet at will when he choses too, Diego Forlán still switches foot for set pieces outside and inside the area in Hong Kong. Andreas Brehme used to switch foot for taking penalties at will, Wesley Sneijder used to switch foot at will for free Kicks and corner kicks when younger, Paolo Maldini, despite being right footed, chose his left foot for kicking set pieces and making long passes. Nicolas Olivera (ex Uruguayan international) plays with his left foot but kicks penalties with his right foot.
good analysis and food for tought . i'm agree with the most of that also the feature about the free kick foot's changing is really interesting.

btw about free kicks in the KONAMi db the most of players have wrong values in this field.. a lot of keepers have a better chance to be selected by the IA then normal players. And that really broke the realism and of course give to human player a chance to score if the free kick will be wasted.
Also a lot of players need a better value.

@kilay Indeed, just as many keepers (especially world class ones) have kicking power in the 80s and 90s when in fact that stat doesn't affect the distance of goal kicks.

Have you thought about a better stat or scale for Gks? For me outfield players should have set piece taking in the 60 to 99 range. And Gk's should be in 40-59 range with only a few exceptions in the 60 to 99 range.

About the outfield players who do you think need better values?

@kilay
Have you thought about a better stat or scale for Gks? For me outfield players should have set piece taking in the 60 to 99 range. And Gk's should be in 40-59 range with only a few exceptions in the 60 to 99 range.

Agree

@kilay
About the outfield players who do you think need better values?
just few examples Coutinho, CR7, E. Hazard, Arnold (Liverpool) and a lot of others that i didn't remember cuz i have already changed them in my DB. and btw a lot of tweaks are needed to have also a right value in PK (cuz is based over different stats respect free kick) , e.g. Dybala needs a better value.

Back
Top Bottom