PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Enjoying my Pes 18 ML,picked up my save,on the first season still.
A few scripted goals here and there,nothing like 19s insane scripting though.

Had a game Vs Cagliari that ended 3-2,and was furious with their 2-2 goal only to watch the replay and my shitty defending,instead of clearing the ball I took an extra touch,and the scored!
Really solid gameplay

Its crazy. The more I play Pes18 the more Im amazed how poor Pes19 AI is in compare to this. Its so different, so fresh, not knowing what AI will do next.

But its not only that. I think the game overall took a step back. I see cutscenes of stands with supporters here and there, even replays are better on 18.
Just graphics, grass and weather is better on 19.

If only there was more fouls and injuries it would be an amazing game.

On -1 speed, no pass assist, profesional, 15mins matches - it really feels like a proper simulation.

And the shots! Shots are brilliant! I thought shots were a bit crazy when I played it year ago. But now, coming from Pes19, where currently its nearly impossible to score a screamer, its such fun! Love the shots!

One more thing. I lost one of the matches, where AI was all over me. 0-4. Couldnt do anything. I thought to myself
"Oh, here we go. Hello, mr script"
So, just as a test, I did what I never do - I replayed this match, to see how bad and repetitive scripting is on 18.
Second round. Won 2-0. Completely different match.

Its crazy. The more I play Pes18 the more Im amazed how poor Pes19 AI is in compare to this. Its so different, so fresh, not knowing what AI will do next.

But its not only that. I think the game overall took a step back. I see cutscenes of stands with supporters here and there, even replays are better on 18.
Just graphics, grass and weather is better on 19.

If only there was more fouls and injuries it would be an amazing game.

On -1 speed, no pass assist, profesional, 15mins matches - it really feels like a proper simulation.

And the shots! Shots are brilliant! I thought shots were a bit crazy when I played it year ago. But now, coming from Pes19, where currently its nearly impossible to score a screamer, its such fun! Love the shots!

One more thing. I lost one of the matches, where AI was all over me. 0-4. Couldnt do anything. I thought to myself
"Oh, here we go. Hello, mr script"
So, just as a test, I did what I never do - I replayed this match, to see how bad and repetitive scripting is on 18.
Second round. Won 2-0. Completely different match.
Have you discovered the nice shifts in tempo ,experimenting with R2 after R1 and vice-versa, transitionings from walking to running or slowing down from running full speed?Or drifting with L-stick between two R1s.
Although the animation in these situations seem cheaper than 2019 , sometimes it is like the players body is trembling like jellyfish, it actually gives you better control on the ball. Or it gives a purpose to try a run facing the enemy defense without searching desperately for the one-two with a team mate.

Have you discovered the nice shifts in tempo ,experimenting with R2 after R1 and vice-versa, transitionings from walking to running or slowing down from running full speed?Or drifting with L-stick between two R1s.
Although the animation in these situations seem cheaper than 2019 , sometimes it is like the players body is trembling like jellyfish, it actually gives you better control on the ball. Or it gives a purpose to try a run facing the enemy defense without searching desperately for the one-two with a team mate.
I wish I had some laptop handy and I knew how to do some compilation. Some of the things im doing there are insane!
On Pes19 its so awkward to dribble pass anyone! This morning on 18 I dribbled pass 3 defenders like Ronaldinho! By accident! :LOL:
They pressed me all at once and I started panicking, doing little tweeks with Left stick, R2 and finally R1. They didnt know what happend! (Neither did I to be honest :LOL:)

Dribbling and skills are so responsive on 18!
Im not a big fan of FIFA overpowered skills and tricks, but this is just as it should be. Not overpowered, but possible!

I wish I had some laptop handy and I knew how to do some compilation. Some of the things im doing there are insane!
On Pes19 its so awkward to dribble pass anyone! This morning on 18 I dribbled pass 3 defenders like Ronaldinho! By accident! :LOL:
They pressed me all at once and I started panicking, doing little tweeks with Left stick, R2 and finally R1. They didnt know what happend! (Neither did I to be honest :LOL:)

Dribbling and skills are so responsive on 18!
Im not a big fan of FIFA overpowered skills and tricks, but this is just as it should be. Not overpowered, but possible!
It was my biggest letdown since the 19 demo.The limitations in L stick efficient, movement to 4 basic axis.
One of my favorite moves in 18 is running down the flank with my winger and as the opponent side back contains me I move slightly diagonally realizing R1, like you driving a boat and put your engine neutral leaving the current stream push you, and while the sb gets dumbed I do a single or double R1 diagonally to the other direction, about 30 degrees. Then if I have space a make a cross, if he catches me up I slow down a little and before the animation stops I bust again to directly 90 degrees to the penalty spot .
In 19 trying the same move for months, first of all I hardly can escape the straight forward rail to go diagonally and if I succeed, when I try the diagonal turn, the opponent usually snaps through my body and steals the ball , or in the luckiest cases my players tries the Pele dribble,throwing the ball from one side and running around from the opposite one.But he is so responsively heavy in rail, that it is like a try to dribble with the 80 years old Pele, not the good old one. :)

It was my biggest letdown since the 19 demo.The limitations in L stick efficient, movement to 4 basic axis.
One of my favorite moves in 18 is running down the flank with my winger and as the opponent side back contains me I move slightly diagonally realizing R1, like you driving a boat and put your engine neutral leaving the current stream push you, and while the sb gets dumbed I do a single or double R1 diagonally to the other direction, about 30 degrees. Then if I have space a make a cross, if he catches me up I slow down a little and before the animation stops I bust again to directly 90 degrees to the penalty spot .
In 19 trying the same move for months, first of all I hardly can escape the straight forward rail to go diagonally and if I succeed, when I try the diagonal turn, the opponent usually snaps through my body and steals the ball , or in the luckiest cases my players tries the Pele dribble,throwing the ball from one side and running around from the opposite one.But he is so responsively heavy in rail, that it is like a try to dribble with the 80 years old Pele, not the good old one. :)
The only move that works for me on 19 (its partially because im using weaker teams) is right stick down for body feint and left stick up. Thas the only weapon i had on flanks.
Double R1 didnt work for me, defenders always snatched it. Skill moves didnt work. Left stick dribbling didnt work.

Now on 18 Im playing with Mallorca and I dont have a single winger or striker who would be 70OVR. Yet I can still do some moves and I can still trick the defenders.

It has its flaws. Animations are also a bit stiff, like you said. But coming from 19 is really, really solid.

And those shots! Did I mention shots? ;)

The only move that works for me on 19 (its partially because im using weaker teams) is right stick down for body feint and left stick up. Thas the only weapon i had on flanks.
Double R1 didnt work for me, defenders always snatched it. Skill moves didnt work. Left stick dribbling didnt work.

Now on 18 Im playing with Mallorca and I dont have a single winger or striker who would be 70OVR. Yet I can still do some moves and I can still trick the defenders.

It has its flaws. Animations are also a bit stiff, like you said. But coming from 19 is really, really solid.

And those shots! Did I mention shots? ;)
Yes wierd animations, lacks the 19's physics, no fouls etc, some collisions are like two marshmallows come in contact than two human beings colliding. But it is better package with an AI pretty verstie compared to 19 mambo jumbo AI.

Fun fact:
Although diping/rising shot traits dont exist in 2018, they are present in game (2018) as random? situational shots. I see much much more often diping/rising in 18 than in 19. It is what it is, but is good.

Fun fact: Although diping/rising shot traits dont exist in 2018, they are present in game (2018) as random? situational shots. I see much much more often diping/rising in 18 than in 19. It is what it is, but is good.
Yup. I had two yesterday with my 69OVR CM. Its almost criminal that they are bringing such a "new" features and basically selling game on those.
Same with ICC cup which is in 18 as well.

Basically, the only new feature in 19 was visible fatigue, where you really can see players struggling and pulling muscles.
I have an awful feeling that Pes20 will fuck up the 3 things they did right - fouls, injuries and fatigue. Apart of them, animations and graphics - the rest has to be completely redone.

Wonder what sort of bullcrap theyll be selling this year about Pes20. Its gonna be fun to watch. I have second, "secret" Twitter account that they didnt block yet, so I'll be lurking from the bushes. :LOL:

just re-downloaded the game and played one exhibition match in default setting
and it surprised me and made me realize much more how bad 2019 is
just one match, I saw ai dribbling, shooting and even scoring a goal outside the box against me
the control is much responsive which help me both in offence and defense
and I can dribble and out run ai easier than 2019
yes, 2018 also has its flaws eg the op through ball but there are still varieties
at least the through ball come from left ,right and central, 30 meters and 20 meters etc
they are not as annoying and boring as 2019 low cross which only come from the side
furthermore, ai sometimes dribble and shoot on their own, definitely more varieties
my ai teammates awareness is also better, they won't just look at the ball and do nothing like 2019
To be honest, the shooting is not much better and is quite similar to 2019 but ai make good use of them and thats the difference
you can see high shots, low shots and control shots from ai while 2019 is mostly high shots
holy crap, I can't understand how konami fk this up, 2019 is only better than 2018 in graphics
things like shooting, animations, responsiveness are worse than 2018
and remember thats all in default setting, I can edit players skills, teams tactics to make the game much better
but seriously just one match and it already surprised me....

just re-downloaded the game and played one exhibition match in default setting
and it surprised me and made me realize much more how bad 2019 is
just one match, I saw ai dribbling, shooting and even scoring a goal outside the box against me
the control is much responsive which help me both in offence and defense
and I can dribble and out run ai easier than 2019
yes, 2018 also has its flaws eg the op through ball but there are still varieties
at least the through ball come from left ,right and central, 30 meters and 20 meters etc
they are not as annoying and boring as 2019 low cross which only come from the side
furthermore, ai sometimes dribble and shoot on their own, definitely more varieties
my ai teammates awareness is also better, they won't just look at the ball and do nothing like 2019
To be honest, the shooting is not much better and is quite similar to 2019 but ai make good use of them and thats the difference
you can see high shots, low shots and control shots from ai while 2019 is mostly high shots
holy crap, I can't understand how konami fk this up, 2019 is only better than 2018 in graphics
things like shooting, animations, responsiveness are worse than 2018
and remember thats all in default setting, I can edit players skills, teams tactics to make the game much better
but seriously just one match and it already surprised me....
Thats the thing. I was giving out shite about Pes18 last year. But when you go back to it after spending some time on 19 you start apreciate it, even with its flaws.

Shooting is not much better, but at least tou can score a screamer from distance. After last few patches its nearly impossible on 19.

I did few adjustments to minimize my main gripes with 18.
Im holding the ball, shield more, dribble more, so im getting some fouls. Not as many as in 19 but they are there.
I switched to No Pass Assist, as tiki-taka back heels fiesta was wrecking my head on 18. Not only by AI, my own first time passes were annoying as well. On manual i have to slow it down and AI doesnt do much first time passing either.
For OP lob passes i switched Deep Defensive Line. AI rarely do runs behind the defense this way as my defense is too close to GK.
So far so good.

You can also do any transfers update you like,create teams, feel free to try apply Matt space fix through tactics, anything that the Live Update would mess under season circumstances. The only side effects here is that due to delicate player models you can not do a lot more about space between lines and the cpu tactics will start revert to more PES formation as the ML runs and managers/squads change.

Could you recommend an option file with the latest squads for PES 2018? Because Mallorca was in the 3rd Division last season.
I dont have full, latest OF for 18. I had 2018 OF installed and I only added Mallorca. I edited one team from LaLiga123, using this guys file:

(Link is in the description. In Edit Mode I selected Mallorca from USB and ticked all the boxes. First box lets you pick a team to edit, so I just picked some crap team from last years D2)

For some reason names were off on the shirts. Maybe in Division 3 they didnt have names printed on. But you can switch them on. You just have to do it for every kit.
Any issues - give me a shout.

Edit:
@Flame - after playing nearly 20 matches in ML I have to disagree that shots are not much better on 18. They are.
Animations are better on 19, but shots have much more variety and, most importantly, there is more outcomes.
I see shots missed wide and high. I also seen few completely missjudged volleys, were ball just bounced of the player leg and went straight up in the sky. Never seen it on 19.

Last edited:
man, I never realized 2018 was that good when I played the game last year
but after comparing to 2019, I found 2018 was a pretty good game
I love the control of the players, its responsive
surprisingly I think animations are smoother than 2019
I suppose they should've developed further in 2019 but I think they just took a step back
the dribbling was great in 2018, when I control players like messi and hazard, I could out pace easier and turn quicker than others
I feel like stats like ball control, dribbling, speed and explosive power are matter in 2018

I hated 18 year ago. I thought it was too fast, too accurate and too arcade. But i never played without Pass Assistance back then. When I went back to it and switched PA off, it slowed things down and uncovered a really solid game underneath.

My big issue was the first-time passes from the AI. 2018 was the worst for this IMO - I'm tempted to reinstall it (though I'm really enjoying 2017 at the minute) but I remember this being a huge issue, and I even posted a video on YouTube after (what I THINK was) the last game update showing that it still happened pretty much constantly on Top Player and above.

There is a bit too much work for me to get 17 and get it up and running in a state that would be satisfactory to me. I've done more than enough messing with all the footy games this year.

I agree with you, Chris, it was a huge issue for me too. Like I said - it was too arcade.

Cant really say it still is tho. Cant recall any AI goals, which would piss me off due to back-heel-back-heel-one-two-three passes..
Is it Prof difficulty, Division 2, or is it PA0? Honestly not sure. I'll keep a closer look at this tonight and see if AI abuse first time passing. But I dont think so to be honest.
I think it would hurt my eyes and generally pissed me off by now, if that was the case.

I know I was surprised with them taking me head on with some skill moves, or passing to the back and killing time when they were winning. Not to mention shots from every range and angle. Whole game feels much more natural and organic than I remember last time I played it.

...and (probably due to PA0 and the fact, that I am forced to hold on to the ball more and dribble more, to find a pass) Im getting some fouls. Not as many as Id like, but enough to have a nice FK opportunity in every match.

Something also posted last year in this topic, that I cannot achieve it anymore in 2019, I cannot escape the rail. In 2018 after a through ball in opponent defense back, while the ball is traveling and is still 50-50, if you run straight with only R1, you are usually caught up.If you run the same path with super cancel, your player is de-magnetized from the game rails, so if you control a pacey one player,it is very possible to begin the run even 2-3 meters behind the defense and end up winning the ball. I will upload a replay later to so what I mean, it is just a replay but it is very visible how my player won a ball and scored a goal in an occasion, that usually when I run with R1 it is 9/10 o clearance by the defender, despite the speed differences.

Something also posted last year in this topic, that I cannot achieve it anymore in 2019, I cannot escape the rail. In 2018 after a through ball in opponent defense back, while the ball is traveling and is still 50-50, if you run straight with only R1, you are usually caught up.If you run the same path with super cancel, your player is de-magnetized from the game rails, so if you control a pacey one player,it is very possible to begin the run even 2-3 meters behind the defense and end up winning the ball. I will upload a replay later to so what I mean, it is just a replay but it is very visible how my player won a ball and scored a goal in an occasion, that usually when I run with R1 it is 9/10 o clearance by the defender, despite the speed differences.

PS.: My friend @mj23 from wehellas, tutored me about Freekicks In 19 as I was terrible, now I have 3 goals from FK. I tried the same input method in 18 today and I scored a FK, after many games. It seems the logic is the same, the only difference that made obvious this year, is that in 19 there are really much more fouls than in 18.

@Emroth, this is the stuff that puts me off trying it again (let alone downloading another option file and having to set all that up) - from June 2018 (surely the last patch was out by then?):

Whenever i think i have learned more about defending when CPU goes into hypercheating mode, manages to make more than 10 super precise and fast passes in few seconds, with my players running like idiots and CPU players feeling like top players. It's so frustrating. This must be the worst Pes ever against CPU.

I'm talking about master league, top player difficulty.

It's mostly frustrating because there is no way a 2 star rated team should play like this, even at the highest difficulty level.

Based on what you've said, perhaps the difficulty level is the issue. But I really don't enjoy PA0 and as soon as you're on PA1 I think it's probably going to be too easy. Sigh...

@Emroth, this is the stuff that puts me off trying it again (let alone downloading another option file and having to set all that up) - from June 2018 (surely the last patch was out by then?):

Based on what you've said, perhaps the difficulty level is the issue. But I really don't enjoy PA0 and as soon as you're on PA1 I think it's probably going to be too easy. Sigh...
Chris if you plan to make a move here, it is now or never.The server will close on end of May or August iirc. So I think the last Live Update will be available for a while ( I think so).
Speaking of all these two questions come in my mind.Why is it so terrible for them to leave the last LiveUpdate come by installation like the Datapacks.?
Secondly, since in console it is only OF, so basically images ,why don’t they come like the old pc OF, where only the “EDIT.bin” and the images were needed. It is 3 years now we have this messy hell with these separate team files , needing this special and timewasting treatment.

It is quite possible, Chris. I dont want to get your hopes up and set you up for a day or two of editing, just to be pissed off at the end.

I havent played a single match on PA1 since I came back, so I simply dont know how it is on Top Player and above. It took me a while to get my head around PA0 and to start enjoying it, but now Im the opposite. I cant enjoy PA1 anymore. Still have basic shooting. Its a nice combo, as a lot of my passes are a bit off so I see more volleys, scissor kick attempts and diving headers.

@slamsoze I think it might be too late now.
Each time Im logging in, there is this greatings window message with recent updates and stuff and it says there, that in Feb online services were terminated.
Fuck it tho, doesnt make a difference to me having latest transfers or not.

Also, I agree with you that Supercancel is much much more efficient in Pes18. You can really feel the difference, when chasing the ball using it.

Question.
As Im quite lacking, when it comes to technology in general. Is there a way to get you replays or full matches uploaded here or onto youtube without PC?
Does, for example, PS account have an option to record and store clips, so I can just go to their page (on mobile phone) and upload it on youtube?
I've seen @PRO_TOO clips all have Playstation intro at the start like it was taken straight from PS account, so I wonder is there an easy way, that doesnt involve PC.
If anyone knows a handy way - please drop me PM, with some "Version for idiots" instructions in it.

If I knew how, I could upload few matches on different difficulty and Pass Assistance level. Picture is more than 1000 words.

It is quite possible, Chris. I dont want to get your hopes up and set you up for a day or two of editing, just to be pissed off at the end.

I havent played a single match on PA1 since I came back, so I simply dont know how it is on Top Player and above. It took me a while to get my head around PA0 and to start enjoying it, but now Im the opposite. I cant enjoy PA1 anymore. Still have basic shooting. Its a nice combo, as a lot of my passes are a bit off so I see more volleys, scissor kick attempts and diving headers.

@slamsoze I think it might be too late now.
Each time Im logging in, there is this greatings window message with recent updates and stuff and it says there, that in Feb online services were terminated.
Fuck it tho, doesnt make a difference to me having latest transfers or not.

Also, I agree with you that Supercancel is much much more efficient in Pes18. You can really feel the difference, when chasing the ball using it.

Question.
As Im quite lacking, when it comes to technology in general. Is there a way to get you replays or full matches uploaded here or onto youtube without PC?
Does, for example, PS account have an option to record and store clips, so I can just go to their page (on mobile phone) and upload it on youtube?
I've seen @PRO_TOO clips all have Playstation intro at the start like it was taken straight from PS account, so I wonder is there an easy way, that doesnt involve PC.
If anyone knows a handy way - please drop me PM, with some "Version for idiots" instructions in it.

If I knew how, I could upload few matches on different difficulty and Pass Assistance level. Picture is more than 1000 words.
doing all my editing using the sharefactory app on ps4! easy as pie!
here you go buddy:
no computer involved! you dont have to be a tech geek! this software is for the players!!! :D

My big issue was the first-time passes from the AI. 2018 was the worst for this IMO - I'm tempted to reinstall it (though I'm really enjoying 2017 at the minute) but I remember this being a huge issue, and I even posted a video on YouTube after (what I THINK was) the last game update showing that it still happened pretty much constantly on Top Player and above.
I picked up my 17 today (seven seasons in) and I had a great time
Played 3 games 1-1 1-1 and 2-0 with my super charged Milan (worst player 79 ovr).
Free kicks ,I have two injuries so far.
But it feels quite one dimensional at times,AI defenders stealing the ball to easy etc,a lot like it's in 19.
Love defending in this game though,always have!
If this game only had Pes 18 ball physics/dribbling/loose ball it would have been one of the greatest no doubt.

Can't really decide whether to keep my save going or go back to 18.
Actually love that I'm having a tough time on it right now.
I think I've won CL twice,EL once,a few cup wins (uefa super cup/Italian cup/world club championship) and 5 Serie A titles.

I'm having major issues finding a complete PES 2018 PS4 option file that launched after the last data pack (to avoid problems) so I might be holding off for a while...!

@PRO_TOO - much obliged, pal. Appreciate it.

I have two injuries so far
Believe it or not, I have 3 injuries on 18! :LOL:
None of them were in the game, unfortunately, all of them got injured "during training". But Im 3 men down nonetheless.

I regret that I missed out on 17, but Im having such good fun with 18 at the moment, that it should keep me going till they (hopefully) sort 19 out.

Back
Top Bottom