PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

@PRO_TOO - much obliged, pal. Appreciate it.

Believe it or not, I have 3 injuries on 18! :LOL:
None of them were in the game, unfortunately, all of them got injured "during training". But Im 3 men down nonetheless.

I regret that I missed out on 17, but Im having such good fun with 18 at the moment, that it should keep me going till they (hopefully) sort 19 out.
I'm getting back to my 18 as well,having fun on 17 right now and I'm probably playing both of them off and on,both solid games.
If you see a cheap copy online or in a local store,well worth picking it up.
I bought a second copy the other day as a backup for €9
How's your Mallorca save going ?

How's your Mallorca save going ?
Really solid, fair and quite challenging, pal. 24 matches in, 3rd place. I dont feel cheated even when Im losing. Ball feels really free on manual and through balls are just right, not OP, but effective.

Had to get few decent players to increase my chances for promotion, but couldnt do a whole lot, due to very small Salary Budget. Would love to be able to move some of the Transfer Budget over. I dont spend any money there, as I only sign youth players and young, free agents.
But I could only afford salaries for 5 or 6 average (69OVR) players and even to get that I had to release 5 or 6 useless ones.
It keeps things interesting tho. Wouldnt like to have a big team in season 1.

Really solid, fair and quite challenging, pal. 24 matches in, 3rd place. I dont feel cheated even when Im losing. Ball feels really free on manual and through balls are just right, not OP, but effective.

Had to get few decent players to increase my chances for promotion, but couldnt do a whole lot, due to very small Salary Budget. Would love to be able to move some of the Transfer Budget over. I dont spend any money there, as I only sign youth players and young, free agents.
But I could only afford salaries for 5 or 6 average (69OVR) players and even to get that I had to release 5 or 6 useless ones.
It keeps things interesting tho. Wouldnt like to have a big team in season 1.
Sounds good pal.
Yeah I'm getting mine going again later on.
Kinda makes Konamis D2 decision look even more stupid once you play a game that has them.
I have 5-6 young players in my Milan save that I know will become 80-85 ovr in 3-4 seasons (had them on 17)
My goal is to make Milan a powerhouse again,I really like how this game feels ,how loose it is.
I thought I'd gine mad when I returned to it in sep/oct the first time.
Really hated it on release

Hi. So i want buy 17 or 18. I read a little bit of this thread. I am offline player since Pes 3. But the last games i haven't played. I tested pes 2019 lite. Its okey but too much scripting. I want to ask which of the 17 or 18 game is less script and better for offline playing.

Hi. So i want buy 17 or 18. I read a little bit of this thread. I am offline player since Pes 3. But the last games i haven't played. I tested pes 2019 lite. Its okey but too much scripting. I want to ask which of the 17 or 18 game is less script and better for offline playing.
Guys will be able to help you there more than me, as I skipped 17.
What settings you play on?
Game speed, pass support, difficulty?
They might feel different depending on your style.

One game?
I'd take 18.
But what differs from 17 is that 17 has free kicks,and often a lot.
But I'd still take 18.
Or if it was me I'd take both
Just like @Emroth says,settings are very important for enjoying it fully.
If you are a PAO player you like 18,I'm not sure how it plays on PA1.
Ball physics are great on 18,dribbling really good.

Thanks you booth. I play mostly speed 0 and pa1 at top player. The two games are cheap on the ebay germany. So i buy booth and check for myself which fits me better. I hope its not like 19. I dont like it at all.

Have two separate MLs on 18,neither updated properly,so I decided to edit some tactics and teams and start a new one.
AC Milan.
First game Vs Inter (of course) needless to say,it wasn't very good ,2nd on the ball constantly,but that's down to low TS and derby scripting.
Anyway Icardi (cunt) was on fire and impossible to stop,dribbling (see video) shooting.
Game ended 2-1 Inter,all in all after 90 min,an ok game in the end.
Should have adopted my derby tactics on Icardi that I use on 17 (take a few yellow hacking him down and bye bye with injury)

But I'm glad to have a nice current ML going.

Have two separate MLs on 18,neither updated properly,so I decided to edit some tactics and teams and start a new one.
AC Milan.
First game Vs Inter (of course) needless to say,it wasn't very good ,2nd on the ball constantly,but that's down to low TS and derby scripting.
Anyway Icardi (cunt) was on fire and impossible to stop,dribbling (see video) shooting.
Game ended 2-1 Inter,all in all after 90 min,an ok game in the end.
Should have adopted my derby tactics on Icardi that I use on 17 (take a few yellow hacking him down and bye bye with injury)

But I'm glad to have a nice current ML going.
Rock what level are you on mate? Icardi possessed by Robben? :P
The DOWN of the clip: 18 lacks much in physical game, in 17 or even 19 , a serieA defender in that shoulder-to-shoulder challenge , would send Icardi on the add boards.
The big UP: the whole dribbling sequence and concept by the COM controlled Icardi , was one of the best I have seen all these years of playing PES, he was like being controlled by the best human driblbler player, although in the end with two teammates in point blank positions, he chooses to shot.
Again remind me this meme about Robben :P
controllers-for-certain-football-players_o_3622133.jpg

So I'm sad enough to have purchased PES 2017 and 2018 from the PS Store in the past, and decided that seeing as I'm loving PES 2017 and my respected colleagues are enjoying PES 2018 again, I should give it a go.

Finding an option file created after the final data pack was quite difficult, but I found one from PESfan.it that does the job nicely - not too much faffing compared to 2017!

However... I'm just not feeling the gameplay. The ball moves in an odd fashion, with little acceleration or deceleration - the increase in response time is great when it's there but REALLY noticeable when the AI takes it away from you because it needs the ball back - and the constant chipped balls over-the-top are SO frustrating (though admittedly I saw less ping-ponging).

For me, the physics of 2017 - including some crunching tackles - are a breath of fresh air after PES and FIFA seem to have gone all "fair play" and "floaty" on us. It feels really nice to smash a ball!

My one 2017 grievance at the minute - and it's coming back to me now, what it was like on here at the time of release - is that the AI sticks so rigidly to their tactics that... When Stoke get the ball, they literally never look for a simple pass, they just immediately hoof it forward. It's a bit silly, and I'm sure it'll all get too much eventually.

At which point, I'm (very seriously) going back to ISS PE2 I think... :D

The ball moves in an odd fashion, with little acceleration or deceleration - the increase in response time is great when it's there but REALLY noticeable when the AI takes it away from you because it needs the ball back - and the constant chipped balls over-the-top are SO frustrating (though admittedly I saw less ping-ponging)
Ball movement hit me as well when I went back to it. But it went away after few matches and its barely noticable.
What is getting more noticable tho, is how creative and random AI is.
I just had to switch Deep Defensive Line on to take away space for the lob passes and start tracking strikers.
The difference between this and 19 is - on 18 they will look for other options and will surprise you with some lovely moments.

Just finished few games myself keeping a close eye on ping-ponging. While there is a good amount of first time passing, it doesnt feel forced or abused. They pass the ball around, not just hammering forward. So I cant really complain.

It takes a while to adjust after spending some time on 19 tho. For me it took a good while till I started "believing" again, that dribbling and shots from distance are effective.

Just miss the physicality. For that reason alone i might get 17.

Edit. Order placed. Thought im done, when it comes to Option Files this year, but just couldnt resist when I saw some clips from 17 with players flying around.. kinda weird to enjoy brutality.. ;)

Last edited:
Edit. Order placed. Thought im done, when it comes to Option Files this year, but just couldnt resist when I saw some clips from 17 with players flying around.. kinda weird to enjoy brutality.. ;)
Yesssssss! Welcome aboard, buddy. ;)

I posted a little option file guide in the PES 2019 thread, it takes 2-3 hours to do - download, install and edit the final bits to get it up-to-date (by which I mean, just having everything appear licensed - it actually puts you at February 2017, which I like, it's a different footballing world from today and that's a big part of the appeal to me).

It's made worse by not being able to import competition names / settings... Why the hell did it take them a year to add that (most basic of) basic functionality? Oh wait, KONAMI!

But it's worth it. After finishing installing the PES 2018 option file and not being enamoured by it, I put 2017 back on and in my FIRST MATCH of the night, I kicked off, turned to face my own goal and got SCYTHED down by the opponent, who got a yellow card. Straight from kick-off. In the centre circle. I laughed for about five minutes. :D

(Then cried, because I remembered this...)

Rock what level are you on mate? Icardi possessed by Robben? :P
The DOWN of the clip: 18 lacks much in physical game, in 17 or even 19 , a serieA defender in that shoulder-to-shoulder challenge , would send Icardi on the add boards.
The big UP: the whole dribbling sequence and concept by the COM controlled Icardi , was one of the best I have seen all these years of playing PES, he was like being controlled by the best human driblbler player, although in the end with two teammates in point blank positions, he chooses to shot.
Again remind me this meme about Robben :P
controllers-for-certain-football-players_o_3622133.jpg
Ha ha that's funny!
Your right,on 17 (especially) and in 19 they'd close him down faster.

I'm playing professional on 18,can't believe how much tougher it is on 18 Vs 19.
Feels like TP when playing tough teams.
Should be more physical,that's why I'm on and off between this and 17

@Emroth, this is the stuff that puts me off trying it again (let alone downloading another option file and having to set all that up) - from June 2018 (surely the last patch was out by then?):

Based on what you've said, perhaps the difficulty level is the issue. But I really don't enjoy PA0 and as soon as you're on PA1 I think it's probably going to be too easy. Sigh...
A year has passed, a new Pes released yet still the same issues. I don't really enjoy playing against cpu since Pes 2012. That was the year bullshit scripted was introduced with Cpu players passed through my defenders to score.Cpu cheating and stats boost is almost a 10 years old issue now, it's obvious it can't be fixed by tweaks but they really need to completely rework the way the game manages difficulty levels, Cpu stats boost and realistic AI passing, shooting and dribbling.

I posted a little option file guide in the PES 2019 thread, it takes 2-3 hours to do - download, install and edit the final bits to get it up-to-date (by which I mean, just having everything appear licensed - it actually puts you at February 2017, which I like, it's a different footballing world from today and that's a big part of the appeal to me)
Yes, I know, I was already studying your post. Was even trying to "add it to favourites" or something for quick access, but dont know how. ;)
I've installed a lot of them recently, so I more or less know whats what. Didnt know you couldnt import competition. Thats a bit of a pain in the hole, but sure, we'll manage.
I will leave national teams as well, not interested in those.
I kicked off, turned to face my own goal and got SCYTHED down by the opponent, who got a yellow card. Straight from kick-off. In the centre circle
I dont get why are they making footy games more soft these days. Surely if you play against people it doesnt make a difference. But we all know that no fouls can be a gamebreaker.
Sure look at any EPL Match of the day. We got few penalties per week, on regular basis..
I'm playing professional on 18,can't believe how much tougher it is on 18 Vs 19.
Feels like TP when playing tough teams.
It really is nicely ballanced. Challenging enough to make you work hard for the win, but not crashing your soul in the same time. ;)

It really is nicely ballanced. Challenging enough to make you work hard for the win, but not crashing your soul in the same time. ;)

It truly is.
I had to check my settings after each game I played last night,thought I was on TP.
They also play a tactically smart game on that level,not being able to go short from your goalie since they mark you,never saw that on profesional in 19

20190314_212154.jpg
Well... she's here. Now I just have to spend another half a day on editing..
Hope this is it, coz if it continues like that I'll be installing Pes13 in few weeks.. :LOL:

Apologies for a horrible off topic. ;)

I've said this often down the years, but I think PES - when a player "hobbles" like that, so it's not a "complete" foul if you like - judges AI fouls by "intent" and not by "outcome". Whereas, for the human player, it doesn't know your intent, so it goes entirely on outcome.

In other words, reverse that situation and the AI would get a penalty. The AI isn't pressing the stab tackle button, in code terms - it's trying to get the ball and failing without deliberately taking you out, so it's not considered for a refereeing decision - whereas when it's reversed, you're pressing the stab tackle button and so it judges it as a foul (you'd even get a different animation, I bet).

But also (and probably primarily) - there are barely any fouls in 2018...

View attachment 13136
Well... she's here. Now I just have to spend another half a day on editing..
Hope this is it, coz if it continues like that I'll be installing Pes13 in few weeks.. :LOL:

Apologies for a horrible off topic. ;)
Got Pes 10-11-12-13-14 installed on my PS3:)
Only reason I stopped playing my Pes 13 is that horrible PS3 controller.
Btw we've all switched to sensible soccer,try to keep up pal:)
Ps have fun

Guys, especially @rockstrongo , @slamsoze and @Chris Davies , who helped me with all suggestions, settings and Option Files for 17.
Thank you very muchly!
17 is epic! I was after nightshift yesterday and stayed up till 2AM coz I just couldnt stop playing it! :LOL:

I started on Top Player, PA0, -2 speed, basic shooting, Mallorca, spanish D2.
Im yet to win my first match, best result was 2-2 draw so far. Im considering going Profesional (so im not stuck in D2 forever), altho it is so nicely challenging on Top Player... its really tough, but tough, not annoying. Id even say enjoyable tough!
So part of me is tempted to stay Top Player even if I have to spend few seasons there.

Its weird, coz initially it feels bit stiff, like old games. But after a while I started to notice that ball is actually more free than on 18/19. Not as good physics-wise, but doesnt feel "stuck" to the players. Its a separate entity, that you can snatch at any stage. Which bring me to defending.
Defending is brilliant! No more X abuse, even secondary pressure doesnt work as good, coz you dont have second player indicator so cant really pick and choose who does secondary pressing. So its tough. Tough but so fun! And even when you snatch the ball it doesnt mean its safe, as the ball is still around, ready to be taken back. So rewarding and so fun!

Physics are brilliant. I love how they are flying around! Im not getting many more fouls than on 19 but there is always someone being sent flying. Found myself giggling few times last night, when two or three players were flying at the same time in penalty box
("What is going on?!?" :LOL:)

It seems bit rough and less responsive but sharperin the same time. They can send the ball much further when bursting into space, it just feels good.

Lastly - I dont know if im going insane or what, but some animations for me are better than 18 and 19. Especially air battles and clearances in penalty box. They just feel responsive, effective and look really cool, like proper karate kick clearance!

I just had to increase game speed to -1 half way through. -2 felt ok, but it was easier and it was missing a "punch".
-1 is more unpredictable and lets you enjoy the speed bursts more.

Long story short - love it, guys!

@Emroth glad you like it pal.
It's a nice game,especially when I came from Pes 16 (no fouls) and to this!

I'm not sure (can't remember) it had that much fouls on arrival,but I do remember this forum was full of guys screaming "placebo" when a few of us said that the game change a lot for the better with patches.

@Emroth glad you like it pal.
It's a nice game,especially when I came from Pes 16 (no fouls) and to this!

I'm not sure (can't remember) it had that much fouls on arrival,but I do remember this forum was full of guys screaming "placebo" when a few of us said that the game change a lot for the better with patches.
I had a look back at the 2017 review I wrote for the site on release day and it all holds true for me - you can see the joy in my writing, at how much of a leap forward the game is. For me, it's the essence of the best PS1/PS2 PES games, at a time when the modern games just didn't click for me, with a big enough boost in response times etc. to feel even better than the "originals".

That review is PROOF - to me - that we're not just miserable bastards who want the game to fail because it's not how we remember it, and that we're not the "elite" people label this site as. In all honesty, we joke about it, but I hate that we have that label - when clearly, we aren't impossible to please.

And funnily enough, looking back at the 2018 review (see the transcript at the bottom), I feel exactly the same about that too - feeling like it was a big step back in terms of variety, unpredictability, and AI.

(I was also relieved to find posts like this across the internet that seem to agree with my feelings about 2018, at a time where other reviews were a little too glowing, in my opinion - and lo-and-behold, we didn't get a review copy of 2019...)

The Eurogamer review of 2017 talks about it being the start of the "three year plan" - meaning 2019 was supposed to be the pinnacle. Now admittedly, I really enjoyed it at the start of 2019, but playing 2017 is giving me much more joy (not via nostalgia but via the AI scoring unexpected goals and teams genuinely playing differently from each other - which you can prove by looking at the WILD variety in the pass accuracy rates between teams, EVEN ON SUPERSTAR).

So yeah, I worry about the future games!

Guys, especially @rockstrongo , @slamsoze and @Chris Davies , who helped me with all suggestions, settings and Option Files for 17.
Thank you very muchly!
17 is epic! I was after nightshift yesterday and stayed up till 2AM coz I just couldnt stop playing it! :LOL:

I started on Top Player, PA0, -2 speed, basic shooting, Mallorca, spanish D2.
Im yet to win my first match, best result was 2-2 draw so far. Im considering going Profesional (so im not stuck in D2 forever), altho it is so nicely challenging on Top Player... its really tough, but tough, not annoying. Id even say enjoyable tough!
So part of me is tempted to stay Top Player even if I have to spend few seasons there.

Its weird, coz initially it feels bit stiff, like old games. But after a while I started to notice that ball is actually more free than on 18/19. Not as good physics-wise, but doesnt feel "stuck" to the players. Its a separate entity, that you can snatch at any stage. Which bring me to defending.
Defending is brilliant! No more X abuse, even secondary pressure doesnt work as good, coz you dont have second player indicator so cant really pick and choose who does secondary pressing. So its tough. Tough but so fun! And even when you snatch the ball it doesnt mean its safe, as the ball is still around, ready to be taken back. So rewarding and so fun!

Physics are brilliant. I love how they are flying around! Im not getting many more fouls than on 19 but there is always someone being sent flying. Found myself giggling few times last night, when two or three players were flying at the same time in penalty box
("What is going on?!?" :LOL:)

It seems bit rough and less responsive but sharperin the same time. They can send the ball much further when bursting into space, it just feels good.

Lastly - I dont know if im going insane or what, but some animations for me are better than 18 and 19. Especially air battles and clearances in penalty box. They just feel responsive, effective and look really cool, like proper karate kick clearance!

I just had to increase game speed to -1 half way through. -2 felt ok, but it was easier and it was missing a "punch".
-1 is more unpredictable and lets you enjoy the speed bursts more.

Long story short - love it, guys!

Not surprised. It's the modern Pes I've played, and liked the most. Glad you're enjoying it :) .

I had a look back at the 2017 review I wrote for the site on release day and it all holds true for me - you can see the joy in my writing, at how much of a leap forward the game is. For me, it's the essence of the best PS1/PS2 PES games, at a time when the modern games just didn't click for me, with a big enough boost in response times etc. to feel even better than the "originals".

That review is PROOF - to me - that we're not just miserable bastards who want the game to fail because it's not how we remember it, and that we're not the "elite" people label this site as. In all honesty, we joke about it, but I hate that we have that label - when clearly, we aren't impossible to please.

And funnily enough, looking back at the 2018 review (see the transcript at the bottom), I feel exactly the same about that too - feeling like it was a big step back in terms of variety, unpredictability, and AI.

(I was also relieved to find posts like this across the internet that seem to agree with my feelings about 2018, at a time where other reviews were a little too glowing, in my opinion - and lo-and-behold, we didn't get a review copy of 2019...)

The Eurogamer review of 2017 talks about it being the start of the "three year plan" - meaning 2019 was supposed to be the pinnacle. Now admittedly, I really enjoyed it at the start of 2019, but playing 2017 is giving me much more joy (not via nostalgia but via the AI scoring unexpected goals and teams genuinely playing differently from each other - which you can prove by looking at the WILD variety in the pass accuracy rates between teams, EVEN ON SUPERSTAR).

So yeah, I worry about the future games!
Ai has gone backwards so much in how they both defend and attack since 17.
Responsiveness (not to be confused with unrealistic moves/times it takes to shoot) etc has gone backwards too.

Sometimes I can pull off a nice move on 18/19 but sometimes it takes to much time/cpu closing down your shoot way to fast.

I'd say Pes 17 is a breath of fresh air in that trilogy,just a shame it came as the first of the three.

Give me the most of Pes 17,throw in ball physics from 18,some of the AI attacking,and how the on ball experience feels on 19 ,and obviously the looks of 19 and I'm very pleased.

I also think that the further away from the golden era of Pes we get,the less we expect from current games, unfortunately!
Some of the outrage and critisism tw Pes 17 Vs the critisism tw19 doesn't add up.

17 got more and fiercer stick than 19 gets today.
Probably down to a worn out and hardened clientele I guess.
I know 19 are criticized heavily to,but the beating 17 took (if I still remember correctly) was very heavy (and often uncalled for).
At least that's how I see it.

Ps re rea your review on it and it took me back,even remember that text between upstairs and downstairs

Also remember this game was dead for a while ,people weren't talking about it,the ML thread was quiet except for a few (@Deco @geeeeee ) then it took off again,must have been after a patch,and got talked about a lot again.
Good times Chris

Last edited:
then it took off again,must have been after a patch,and got talked about a lot again.
With a bit of luck we might get some proper patch for 19 at the end of its life cycle. Judging by what you say about 17 and my own experience with 18, it looks like it takes them a year but at the end they usually deliver a solid game.

At @Chris Davies - i fully agree with this bit
That review is PROOF - to me - that we're not just miserable bastards who want the game to fail because it's not how we remember it, and that we're not the "elite" people label this site as. In all honesty, we joke about it, but I hate that we have that label - when clearly, we aren't impossible to please
It is funny and amusing the way they see us.
But I also cant help but feel sad at times, especially on Twitter. I give them some sarcastic stick from time to time, but deep down I just wish they openned their eyes and let us have a proper, honest chat.
Coz at the end of the day I believe we all want a good, enjoyable game. They (even developers) might be focused mainly on myClub, but im sure theyd be happy if whole fan base was pleased. To me, people like us, old school Pes players, we are the best, most honest judges.
Pity they are so separated from the community and you cant even send them PM..

With a bit of luck we might get some proper patch for 19 at the end of its life cycle. Judging by what you say about 17 and my own experience with 18, it looks like it takes them a year but at the end they usually deliver a solid game.

I have faith I that to.
Just remember how it was on release!
And they made both 17+18 better.
So fingers crossed

Is it me or does the AI in this often roll the ball out (to hit a long pass) and give the ball away really easily as a result? I've seen it loads, but this was the latest example:

Also, absolutely hilarious face being pulled from "Aaron Lennon" at the end, I laughed for about five minutes when the screen froze at this exact moment. :LAUGH:

zkDgYQB.jpg

Is it me or does the AI in this often roll the ball out (to hit a long pass) and give the ball away really easily as a result? I've seen it loads, but this was the latest example:

Also, absolutely hilarious face being pulled from "Aaron Lennon" at the end, I laughed for about five minutes when the screen froze at this exact moment. :LAUGH:

zkDgYQB.jpg
It happens pretty often in 18, even in 2019 (not so often there).
It must be the worst tuned special control skill in the history of gaming.This is the one you do pushing R2+R-stick to a direction.
All special skill moves with R-stick have timing-response issues to be honest , but this one is in a different league. Whenever you execute it, despite any player agility/explosiveness/positioning, it is like your player drops an anchor back and rolling the ball forward. It renders you player So unresponsive in contrast with opponent player , that in most situations 9/10+, you loose the ball. I find it pretty unusable, the best I’ve taken from this is if I successfully hit it and the defense chops me, to take a free kick, but very occasionally and only if I have the momentum.
It makes me wonder why they put AI to use it and why they keep it working like this in first place.

After several attempts (about 15), I manage to beat Man City on Superstar. Group stage CL. The script was heavy and I was forced to use super cancel on every move to free my players from the sinking sand.

Anyway, Its so nice to see the AI trying to score by so many ways.

Back
Top Bottom