PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

After several attempts (about 15), I manage to beat Man City on Superstar. Group stage CL. The script was heavy and I was forced to use super cancel on every move to free my players from the sinking sand.
Anyway, Its so nice to see the AI trying to score by so many ways.
0:35 to 0:39 perfectly sum up two of the main gripes I had with this game though.
Backheels like there's no tomorrow (even when they're not really needed) like at 0:35 and goalkeepers often doing awkward things like the one at 0:39 (you see better here what I mean, look at Romero jumping too high and with the "wrong" hand, you see it best at around the minute mark).
I mean, if the shot is that high and that powerful on your left you'll of course dive to the left but hardly go with the left hand to meet the ball. The keeper reaching the ball with his right hand and tipping it wide would've been a way better thing.
This actually happened way more often in PES 2017 (and even more often in PES 2015 to be honest) and looked more natural.

Here you see a comparison in real life: it's not that Robles "does it wrong" but it surely looks more unnatural than the following save by Oblak. In PES 2018, 99% of the saves (even when the ball is heading to the top corner) are similar to the one Robles did, while they should be way more mixed (e.g. including also some in Oblak's style when they'd look natural).

Then I definitely agree about the CPU being more varied than in PES 2019 in terms of shooting (well, the only bad thing is that they rely a little bit too much on lofted through balls during buildup) and about the animations looking better. PES 2018 is, probably, the best-looking PES ever released for PC.

Last edited:
After several attempts (about 15), I manage to beat Man City on Superstar. Group stage CL. The script was heavy and I was forced to use super cancel on every move to free my players from the sinking sand.

HAHA... the crazy amount of backheels...

Can't believe the things we have to put up with year after year.
It's like... a new incredibly annoying flaw in each version that doesn't get resolved throughout the entire year. Again, unbelievable.

Last edited:

It is unbelievable how good the transition animations look. When I don’t play and watch at others footage it seems even smoother.
Every transition from standing to moving or running animation has a very smooth flow.
I believe it is related to the “Real Touch+” engine,which is not mentioned nowhere in 2019.

HAHA... the crazy amount of backheels...

Can't believe the things we have to put up with year after year.
It's like... a new incredibly annoying flaw in each version that doesn't get resolved throughout the entire year. Again, unbelievable.
Are you sure? I'm now watching the final of Uefa League and I count 18 backheels just for first 45 min.

Come on :D you know that is not true, yeah there was some " bad " passes but not all. The point is... backheels in real football are not that RARE as you try to make it.
True. But we're talking about Europa League Final.. problem starts, when all the teams are doing it..

I have 1100 hours in PES 2018 and backheels was NEVER a problem for me, in any case.
Oh..
To be completely honest with you, I wasnt even aware it was Pes18 thread.. :LOL:
Thought we were talking about Pes19.
Pes18 still had some traces of individuality. It wasnt that bad in terms of backheals. There was some amount of them, maybe bit too much, along with first time passing and maybe it was all a bit too accurate, but still - it wasnt too bad.
Lack of physicality was annoying me much more there.

Holly crap :D Konami are greedy as...
Did they terminate PES 2018 online servers? What the frick... are they serious? How you will terminate servers just after 2 years...

Just booted up 2018 again... it's miles better than 19. Not perfect by any means but the AI in comparison makes 2019 look like a complete joke. Animations are also much smoother to echo the previous posters, players feel more responsive. Playing the 2 games back to back I can't even fathom how they regressed the game so much. If it weren't for slightly better pitch visuals and net physics you would think that 2018 was the newer, more advanced game of the 2.

Come on :D you know that is not true, yeah there was some " bad " passes but not all. The point is... backheels in real football are not that RARE as you try to make it.

I saw two poorly aimed air-backheels from none other than Hazard and one from Giroud in the first half. Each of them went straight to an Arsenal player or to nobody. Seriously!

Holly crap :D Konami are greedy as...
Did they terminate PES 2018 online servers? What the frick... are they serious? How you will terminate servers just after 2 years...

Back in 2015, MyClub was fresh. We only found out 3 years later that this 2 year cut off was to be a regular occurrence.

I was pushing (on pesfan) for konami to extend time til server shutdown - but in hindsight I think this was good for me otherwise I'd still be MyClubbing til 1am and waking up at 8am all weekend just to enter as many competitions as I could for more GP.

Just booted up 2018 again... it's miles better than 19. Not perfect by any means but the AI in comparison makes 2019 look like a complete joke. Animations are also much smoother to echo the previous posters, players feel more responsive. Playing the 2 games back to back I can't even fathom how they regressed the game so much. If it weren't for slightly better pitch visuals and net physics you would think that 2018 was the newer, more advanced game of the 2.
Haha! Thats how I started..
Went back to 18 and was shocked how much better it was.. but then guys in here told me to check 17 and... I cant stop playing this now.. :LOL: on my third ML season as we speak.
17 is another step up in terms of AI unpredictability, shot variety, physicality, randomness.... everything is better, apart from slightly worse ball physics (this feeling goes away after few matches).
Basically it looks like last few years game got gradually worse, more shallow and arcade, with no regards to any stats and individuality. Shameful really.

Here's another PES 2017 lover. :ROCK:

If only 2018 had the variety 2017 has (it's nowhere as varied as FIFA 14 was, but it's the most varied of all the "Fox-based" PES games in my opinion) it would instantly become one of the best games of the series.
Who knows: maybe tweaking tactics (giving more "radical" values to some things) or trying to differentiate more players from one another (traits, skills and such) something similar could be achieved. Imma try, sooner or later.

Here's another PES 2017 lover. :ROCK:

If only 2018 had the variety 2017 has (it's nowhere as varied as FIFA 14 was, but it's the most varied of all the "Fox-based" PES games in my opinion) it would instantly become one of the best games of the series.
Who knows: maybe tweaking tactics (giving more "radical" values to some things) or trying to differentiate more players from one another (traits, skills and such) something similar could be achieved. Imma try, sooner or later.
Haven't touched any of my Pes games since march probably
But when I got fed up with 19,I returned to Pes 18 (played 18 very little after release) and instantly felt how refreshing it felt Vs 19
Ball physics is brilliant.
To bad that the free kick was non existent (still more than fifa 18-19)
I like 18,not as much as 17,but it's a solid game

I have 1100 hours in PES 2018 and backheels was NEVER a problem for me, in any case.

Have you literally never played against the AI? Because it will string together 3-4 of those in a row. In 19 it usually only goes for a backheel in the box as an assist, just to tell the player to eat shit.

Still find this game much more fun than Pes 19 now that I've played 17-18-19 the last two days.
Issues yes,but for me playing Vs a CPU ,then the CPU needs to be smart and unpredictable which I don't see in 19.

Some close control dribbling, special to my friend @Danny Henry . It is not so representative but i do not capture really often, as decent close control happens all time in 2018. Also it looked much better from my gameplay camera, the replay camera angles do not help much. So in this video below, i run with my RWF, the opponent LB is checking me with side-stepping defense, i release R1, press R2 to receive and a little touch towards the defender, as i fool him, keeping the R2 just in case i don't fool him, so i can turn my back and shield. Then i release instantly R2 and press forward+R1 immediately. Even if there is a little bit clipping in this video, it has no effect, the context is decent.

I am sure @Danny Henry has tons of more videos of this dribbling.

P.S.: @Chuny as i do not want to hijack the other thread about 2020, is this the simple dribbling you described? it is only with Left-stick, R1/R2.

P.S.2.: @Bonano video with Messi from 2018, was spot-on on the smoothness of dribbling in that PES.

Last edited:
Some close control dribbling, special to my friend @Danny Henry . It is not so representative but i do not capture really often, as decent close control happens all time in 2018. Also it looked much better from my gameplay camera, the replay camera angles do not help much. So in this video below, i run with my RWF, the opponent LB is checking me with side-stepping defense, i release R1, press R2 to receive and a little touch towards the defender, as i fool him, keeping the R2 just in case i don't fool him, so i can turn my back and shield. Then i release instantly R2 and press forward+R1 immediately. Even if there is a little bit clipping in this video, it has no effect, the context is decent.

P.S.: @Chuny as i do not want to hijack the other thread about 2020, is this the simple dribbling you described? it is only with Left-stick, R1/R2.

P.S.2.: @Bonano video with Messi from 2018, was spot-on on the smoothness of dribbling in that PES.

Awsome! Best dribbling mechanics, tempo and animation I ever see in a football game. Animations are so smooth and authentic as well!
Sometimes you are sprinting at full speed, then you make the no touch dribble, the ball goes far away in front of you, because it mantain its speed. Very good physics!

Its awsome man.

Last edited:

Hey mate!
Nah, I don't think it's the same as what I've shown in the PES 2013 videos I posted.
Sorry but, unfortunately (for me) the only game that could ever come close to the way I feel about PES 2013 dribbling mechanics, is FIFA 16.

All you had to do was time it right with the left stick and use the sprint button sometimes. If you had the right player, you could skin 1, 2 and 3 defenders and it looked so realistic. Specially with short players.

I remember why I dont play PES 13 as you guys did. Because it dont have league modes. I remember now. Thats why I dont have many memories of PES 13.

Ps: but I remember that shooting and goalies reaction on PES 13 was very intuitive and authentic as well. Perhaps because it was the last PES that Seabass worked on.

Last edited:
And the ai cant play possession game. Only counter and counter.

Yeah, I remember now! And because you put the body between the ball and the ball carrier and your players foot, clips through the ball but you dont disposess the attacker. I hated defending on that game. It seems that tackling was about luck and not about timing. Just like PES 2012.

Last edited:
On Rock's advice, I've been hammering PES 2018 over the last week or so.

I've never been able to get past the lofted-through-ball-fetish the AI had, but it's not quite as bad after it's all patched up. I've been enjoying it - however...

As Inter Milan, the owner said this to me, on the eve of our first Europa League game:

D-aCz1EWsAE0f7M.jpg

I laughed my head off for about five minutes - it's not even real cockney, that's not how you'd use the word "savvy" - and tweeted Adam about it.

His response was pretty great.

Any money says that, in the PES 2020 Master League, Maradona has the same tone...

Bet Pes 20 will be awful with the new dialogue they're so proud of.
I for one really don't like them in fifa and will skip them so hard I'd get carpal tunnel syndrome (Rip X button and my wrist)

Back
Top Bottom