PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Does anyone get the feeling that this game changes completely from session to session? I'm on FUMA/Top Player, having a pretty hard time in ML. I'm all hyped up to continue the season, turn on my PS4 and then what follows are some of the worst matches i've played in my whole life, where the A.I.'s main attacking method (Passing all the way from the back to a player way forward that is always unmarked) works flawlessly every time, their player is always free and when he receives the ball i just can't tackle him at all, after that he usually does a lob to the wing and a cross creates a goal, or they just tiki-taka inside my box where none of my defenders are bothering with marking, a lot of first touch backheels aswell bacause why not, if it isn't a backheel you can bet it will at least be a first touch, always. After that i usually play a few more matches with hope that it will get better, but it doesn't, not even when i win i get any enjoyment out of it. I turn my PS4 off and that's that. After a while i turn my PS4 on again and go for a few more matches, suddently everything good about the game gets so evident it's almost trying to jump out of the TV, the benefits of manual passing and shooting, the game looking and feeling like a real match, i can intercept their attacks because they are not as ridiculously fast, not as many backheels, they are still competent, but more predictable, slower and overall less clynical, most games are tight defensive battles that look like real life, i don't even mind when i lose because i had a good time playing a good footy simulator.

What's wrong with this game? Is it just me?

btw, in one of the great matches i've mentioned, i was winning 1x0 until the 86', i conceded the 1x1 and it felt like it was over, i still enjoyed the match but it was quite a bummer to lose a couple of points like that, suddently i get a free kick in the 95', definitely the last play of the match no matter what i do with it, i hadn't scored a single free kick yet so i didn't get my hopes up. 2x1. Just like that. If it wasn't so late at night i would have screamed. I try to save the replay and... I have to overwrite one of the ten(just 10) replays i had saved... a limit of ten(WHY JUST 10?) replay save slots... WHO THOUGHT THAT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA? I mean, i have like fifty(50) saved replays in PES 2010 and 2012 (I think fifty was the limit at the time), that was pretty decent, but ten?! I mean, to me a limit shouldn't even be there, if my hard drive has space then let me save it, but if you have to have a limit, make it more than that! To quote the AVGN: "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!"

Thank God for the PS4's share feature. Rant over.
About the momentum, it is really broken since 2018. After professional level, everything is like you play a mad video game, when things go strange as you describe.
About the replays, once i discovered the share button, i just didnt bother again saving a replay in-game. I just record them with share button. i know it is not the same an it is a one-shot, you cannot go back and change the angles cameras (although limited) etc, like with the in-game replays, but life is too short to cause problems to my mind about what i will save in only 10 fakin slots. And since they do not have even a description, when the time comes that i must overwrite one, i do not even remember what is which. So share button and no mess with saving replays in PES

Reactions: MKC
Ok honeymoon over.....again.
All my matches feel the same. I like really having to battle but a bit more variation would be nice.

As soon as i score a goal the cpu goes in the next gear and scores a, often ugly, goal.
Usually with a high throughball.
My defenders respond badly, cpu makes me stumble all the time without a foul being called.
Starting to remember why i stopped playing pes.

I’m literally screaming “come on ref, thats a foul!!!” Sometimes i really hates this game, the scripting is so damn obvious.
Playing bundesliga as Schalke and most games end in a draw, or a win with only 1 goal difference.
Maybe it’s just me sucking at this game.

On a positive note : i realy like the 2020 demo. But will not buy untill way after the release.
I fear the same scripting shit will still be there.

Ok honeymoon over.....again.
All my matches feel the same. I like really having to battle but a bit more variation would be nice.

As soon as i score a goal the cpu goes in the next gear and scores a, often ugly, goal.
Usually with a high throughball.
My defenders respond badly, cpu makes me stumble all the time without a foul being called.
Starting to remember why i stopped playing pes.

I’m literally screaming “come on ref, thats a foul!!!” Sometimes i really hates this game, the scripting is so damn obvious.
Playing bundesliga as Schalke and most games end in a draw, or a win with only 1 goal difference.
Maybe it’s just me sucking at this game.

On a positive note : i realy like the 2020 demo. But will not buy untill way after the release.
I fear the same scripting shit will still be there.

With my 3 week experience of having as my main footy game, i can tell you this, PES 2018 is the definition of a "Love/Hate Relationship".

I don't know what mode you're playing, but i'm going to guess it's ML, although the scripting is present in any mode besides exhibition as far as i can tell.

Well, yeah, the CPU doesn't have much variety in the way it plays, especially the more you turn up the difficulty (Would be great to know which one you're using), They usually go from the back to the front of the field in 2 or 3 passes, because they always have someone up front completely unmarked (PES defenders are pretty bad in marking and in tracking runs, you're usually left on your own to do all of this) and the unmarked player receives the ball and does a lob through ball to the wingers (whose runs are also never tracked, unless you do it yourself), in this situation i usually track the runs by myself and use the secondary press to pressure the man with the ball, but once or twice it doesn't work because i'm not perfect obviously, so it's normal for me to concede in almost every match).

Conceding immediately after scoring is also common outside of exhibition, because, at least in my opinion, that's when the scripting kicks in. I usually concede after scoring a goal that gives me a 2 goal advantage, almost like the CPU goes "2?! That's too much, having only 1 goal of advange makes it more interesting!", and then they score, in an attack that feels literally unstoppable.

About getting no fouls called, well, all i can say is: Fouls? On a Fox Engine PES? Hahaha (Although PES 2020 seems to be an exception so far, which is refreshing and makes me optimistic for the future, as flawed as the new system may be).

My personal recommendations to get the most out of PES 2018 are:

1. Avoid the higher difficulty settings, more specifically Superstar and Legend, to me they are just unplayable if you're looking for a realistic simulation of football, or even if you're just trying to have some fun. A dozen first touch backheels in succession? No, thanks.

2. To make up for the fact that i'm playing in a lower difficulty setting, FUMA. Manual passing, manual shooting, manual everything (Except 2nd player control because i like to have a "Make a run" mechanic, and obviously player switching is on Semi, like God intended). This makes the game harder, but not due to A.I. being an unrealistic, cheating mess, it's due to the mechanics themselves, mechanics you're in control of and that you can learn and get better at. If you're unfamiliar with it, i recommend going to the lowest difficulty setting and just messing about a little and get a feel for it, no need to rush into Regular or Professional. Also, it makes the game feel a lot more realistic if that's what you like, especially because it helps you get more fouls, because your players have more time on the ball and passes are more free.

3. Longer matches, again this is just a personal preference, because i want the game to be realistic, but it allows you to slow down a little and just enjoy everything more, your time on the ball, your passes, you don't have the small duration of matches to rush you into going foward carelessly. I use 15min, but you can use whatever you prefer.

4. You know how the CPU loves to attack so much, so prepare yourself for it, and i don't mean just mentally, but tactically. I personally use a low defensive line to stop the effect of the lobs on the wings a bit, they still do it, but they get less space than usual and my defenders catch up to them with more ease. Also, master the jockey and the secondary press, know when to go all out and use press+secondary press, usually when they pass to the solo man up front (the one that does the lobs), he usually tries to waste some time for his teammates to arrive, then he can do the lob, that small period of time when he's by himself is good to use press+secondary press and overwhelm him, just be careful not to get a CB out of position, it's best to do this in the middle of the park.

5. This is probably gonna sound unimportant, but it can make a difference. Find a camera you like more than any of the others, the one that makes it easier to play for you.

Well, that's it. This is how i get the most out of the game. To me all of this still isn't enought to make it "Great", but it's enough to make it "Good", at least sometimes. Hope you can still find enjoyment out of this, if not, well, PES 2020 is around the corner, and it seems both of us are pretty optimistic about it, so we're not to far away from a better alternative to this game right here.

Last edited:
Pes 17 was the last game that had an enjoyable AI above professional difficulty,I played SS on 19 (Dp 4) but after that patch it was unplayable on SS/TP.
I'm still on professional and PA0 on 18, although I don't like professional difficulty,it still plays better than TP on PAO.
Don't think I'm going any higher ,rather setup house rules if too easy.
Thing is professional playing Vs top teams in CL it's still a challenge.
Got beaten by Juventus 3-1,didn't feel that cheated by the CPU (felt cheated by CPU over riding my passes especially my through balls) so I'm sticking to professional rather than the button pushing I know will come on TP.
Still enjoying this game,and looking fw to Pes 20 a great deal

Pes 17 was the last game that had an enjoyable AI above professional difficulty,I played SS on 19 (Dp 4) but after that patch it was unplayable on SS/TP.
I'm still on professional and PA0 on 18, although I don't like professional difficulty,it still plays better than TP on PAO.
Don't think I'm going any higher ,rather setup house rules if too easy.
Thing is professional playing Vs top teams in CL it's still a challenge.
Got beaten by Juventus 3-1,didn't feel that cheated by the CPU (felt cheated by CPU over riding my passes especially my through balls) so I'm sticking to professional rather than the button pushing I know will come on TP.
Still enjoying this game,and looking fw to Pes 20 a great deal

I've started my latest ML season (TP, FUMA) having a hard time, but eventually got used to manual and ended up finishing 3rd in the league, somehow... Eventually it was clear that it was because the Brazilian league just doesn't have very high level teams.
I thought it was done, because TP just isn't too good (Still too many first touch backheels, and scripted robotic goals), but after playing a few exhibition matches (Where the A.I. is usually more passive) against stronger teams, i've started losing a lot, even got trashed 4x1 by Real, playing as Barcelona.
So, yeah, i think you've got it, playing Professional or Regular, FUMA, against strong teams it's where it's at.
Thinking of starting a UCL on Professional with Barcelona, i know they're overpowered but i've just made a kit for them that i really like (Btw, a bit off-topic, but is there a place here in Evo-Web where i can share the kits i've made with other people, so they can use them if they want to?).

I've started my latest ML season (TP, FUMA) having a hard time, but eventually got used to manual and ended up finishing 3rd in the league, somehow... Eventually it was clear that it was because the Brazilian league just doesn't have very high level teams.
I thought it was done, because TP just isn't too good (Still too many first touch backheels, and scripted robotic goals), but after playing a few exhibition matches (Where the A.I. is usually more passive) against stronger teams, i've started losing a lot, even got trashed 4x1 by Real, playing as Barcelona.
So, yeah, i think you've got it, playing Professional or Regular, FUMA, against strong teams it's where it's at.
Thinking of starting a UCL on Professional with Barcelona, i know they're overpowered but i've just made a kit for them that i really like (Btw, a bit off-topic, but is there a place here in Evo-Web where i can share the kits i've made with other people, so they can use them if they want to?).
There should be some threads in the edit/patch section in here.
Yeah I'm playing a fairly strong league (Serie A as Milan) and I'm having a tough time Vs Juventus /Napoli /Inter /Roma/Lazio.

Thing is ,even though I'm having a tough time Vs top teams,it always plays pretty fair Vs them,the bottom teams can be 5-0 win or a 3-1 loss depending on your winning or losing streak.

I had an idea to setup a super league on PES 19,stopped because I hate that game,my theory is if you setup two divisions of only good teams,you'd probably have better games all the time.
But then again,kinda like having tough games Vs Benevento etc.

Barca sounds fun,never played as them,I had a few seasons recently on Pes 13 as Real Betis,and Barca was always tough,don't think i beat them once

Thanks for the tips guys.
Currently playing on professional, 0 speed, doing e league (bundesliga) with Schalke 04. (you asked so these are my settings).

In order to compensate for the through ball spamming i have changed my line up a bit. Put my back line further back, which helps as the through balls from the cpu are less sucessfull now.

It is still a mixed bag. In the season i have to play for the national cup and Europa league as well (love that btw, as it is very realistic).
Somehow the cup games are going better than the league games, but in the case of the Europa league i assume it is because i am still in the group stage.
Anyway, i managed to win 2 cup games with more than 1 goal difference, the last one even with 4-0.
Did not feel scripted this time.
It's the league games that are doing me in right now.

I see no difference in playing against a top team, or against the worst team.
Was aware of this (one of the things that made me quit last year) but it still sucks seeing this.

On the other hand, when it works it's a gorgeous game. Had some really great headers too, very realistic.
I do seem to score more from headers then shots, maybe just my playing style.

Will continue with '18 for a while and keep my eyes out on the reactions to the full 2020 game on this forum.
Perhaps it will be improved enough to buy it.

Damn, just saw my own avatar. Am i really here since 2003? I must be getting old.

Thanks for the tips guys.
Currently playing on professional, 0 speed, doing e league (bundesliga) with Schalke 04. (you asked so these are my settings).

In order to compensate for the through ball spamming i have changed my line up a bit. Put my back line further back, which helps as the through balls from the cpu are less sucessfull now.

It is still a mixed bag. In the season i have to play for the national cup and Europa league as well (love that btw, as it is very realistic).
Somehow the cup games are going better than the league games, but in the case of the Europa league i assume it is because i am still in the group stage.
Anyway, i managed to win 2 cup games with more than 1 goal difference, the last one even with 4-0.
Did not feel scripted this time.
It's the league games that are doing me in right now.

I see no difference in playing against a top team, or against the worst team.
Was aware of this (one of the things that made me quit last year) but it still sucks seeing this.

On the other hand, when it works it's a gorgeous game. Had some really great headers too, very realistic.
I do seem to score more from headers then shots, maybe just my playing style.

Will continue with '18 for a while and keep my eyes out on the reactions to the full 2020 game on this forum.
Perhaps it will be improved enough to buy it.

Damn, just saw my own avatar. Am i really here since 2003? I must be getting old.

Unfortunately this game, even when you mess around with difficulty settings, camera settings and control settings to get the most out of the game, is still a mixed bag, because changing settings can't fix the game's core flaws. It has a lot of qualities, and like you've said, it's a gorgeous game when it works, but when it doesn't, well...

Strong teams and weak teams don't have a big difference outside of exhibition, especially the more you turn the difficulty up. I was playing ML and got destroyed by a team, that just made me think "These guys must be at the top of the table, they were the best team i've played against by far!", they were 16th, so yeah, it's pretty terrible.

90% of my goals are headers, not really due to my overall playing style, but due to my playing style in this game specifically, because to me it seems that the middle is really closed and the wings are a lot more open, also, when i take a shot in the middle, there's a chance it gets blocked, that i get tackled, etc. Headers don't have that problem, they just feel more instant, and as a consequence, they seem more deadly.

I'd recommend either sticking around where you are right now, or turning the difficulty down to Regular, but switching to FUMA. That's probably where the game plays best tbh.

You're not getting old, you're just getting more XP and levelling up :D

btw, apparently i can't use my custom kits in the UCL... Konami Cup, here i go!

This morning everything seemed to click a bit.
Won a few league games with more than 1 goal difference. One even with 5-1.

I fully agree with the middle being very very full. I am getting better at close dribbling, turning away just before the defender gets his foot in. So i'm being barged off the ball less which is good.

Due to this i do manage to get balls through the middle and get a few shots off.
The shooting feels very off though. Lot of using the wrong foot, outside foot and i feel i have no control over the shot.
I know going manual would probably solve that but for now i'm sticking to pa1, but i just wish i had more control over shooting.
Come to think of it, pes6 also had this. Same angle, same power, same player and the ball would go in, go would be shot out of the stadium.

Still seeing situations where the game just wont let me score, even when wide open no matter if i shoot hard or use placed / finesse shot.
I don't mind losing games at all, but not this way.

All in all i am enjoying this game again and it will certainly keep me busy till 2020 which will hopefully be an improvement ai wise.
Thanks to the great community we at least have some very good option files.

I'm hoping the guy who created the classic world cups for '19 will do it again for 20.
Would be nice to have all the big leagues, and replace the leagues i don't like with world cups of '78 '82 and '86!

I've come to a great stretch of games,my loss Vs Juventus had 5 yellow cards for them,and sending off for me.
The following game Vs Chievo had a straight red card for Giaccerini (Chievo) an out of the blue tackle from behind,left me a bit surprised,won the game 4-1.

I have 3 league games left,a semi in the CL and a final in the Coppa Italia.
Which means 4 games Vs Napoli (league+CL+Cup)
Parked in 2nd place (Juve ahead with 11 points) and one point clear of Napoli and 10 points down to 4th (Inter)
All in all a very good and fun season.
Deffo sneak in one more before Pes 20

I think Professional FUMA really is the way to go, i've started playing a few tournaments in these settings and i'm struggling a bit in them, in a good way tho, the matches are great.

The reason Professional and later Top Player both became somewhat easy in my ML is, i think, because my team spirit ended up reaching 80 and later even 90, i remember hearing some people saying that once team spirit is that high, the game gets a lot easier, i don't know how much truth this statement holds, but from my experience, as my team spirit grew, i went from 17th to 3rd in the table, so yeah, i guess there's some truth to it afterall.

I think playing standard tournaments in Professional is probably the best really, no team spirit involved, so my team never becomes OP and i don't have to switch to Top Player.

Top Player is just disgusting at times, even though i won a lot in my ML, at least towards the end of the season, the CPU was just infuriating, Professional can also be annoying sometimes, the backheels, direct play, first touch passing all of the time are still there, but it's nowhere near as frequent, so it's much better.

Yes,I have to say PA0 on TP is very bad,the difference between PA0 and PA1 on that difficulty is like night and day.
Players not being alert enough and in the right place on manual Vs PA1.
I rather play on a lower difficulty and have a pretty good experience than the button pushing that is TP.

I really don't see a lot of back heels at all on professional,I see it when I'm stressed out and try to chase the CPU with the sprint button and trying to steal the ball.
Keeping a nice formation and track runs and try to steal the ball without chasing them,then the game plays very well.

Still feel that the CPU team strength is a bit weird (like most Pes games)
I can beat PSG in a CL game with 3-0 and them actually playing really life like,then struggle against an overpowered Sampdoria on a 90% passing inferno.
Weird!
That's why I tried to create a super league with only great teams on Pes 19,didn't really fly since PES 19 is horrible as is

Hi please I’m new here I wanted to find out something about Pes18

I want to install the new Data packs and I don’t know if I can install Data pack 3 first Then install The rest later
Will it work that way? Or do I need to install dlc 1 first then followed by 2 then 3 and 4

Thanks

Hi please I’m new here I wanted to find out something about Pes18

I want to install the new Data packs and I don’t know if I can install Data pack 3 first Then install The rest later
Will it work that way? Or do I need to install dlc 1 first then followed by 2 then 3 and 4

Thanks
They all need downloading individually, they all contain different things, and should be downloaded in the correct order - 1 to 4.

Just saved match in 90 and 94 minutes. Match in MyClub mode vs AI on Top Player.
18-1.jpg

18-2.jpg

18-3.jpg

I played only 5 games on pes 2020 demo. In the meantime I slowly progress my ML saves on 2018 and 2019. Same team,same league, both.Only difference ,on 18 in on my 3rd season while on 19 I’m an on my 2nd. Both settings: 10min/PA1/TopPlayer.
As many of us said 19 looks far better, but 18 plays betters for damn reason. Only cons of 18 the backheels, the empty midfield and the non-physicality at collisions. What I noticed is that for the lack of physical game they must motion captured some karate fighter, cause the low kicks are always detected and being given free kicks. Only the upper bodytackle colisions are as they don’t exist.
What I noticed today is that either the stats matter more in 18, or the CPU on higher difficulty on 19 dumps down your player much more as it should. In both saves I have Mbappe, Helder Costa and David Neres as WF/SS. On 18 despite they have lower OPR they are making extreme runs and mess up the CPU defense. In 19 with higher OPRs they play like they are in mud, they feel so heavy and laggy they can’t even dribble a faking chair. They lack so much individuality in 19 that many times I forget I have them on team while playing.

And it is shame cause we all remember how low impact had the stats on 2018 from the well known video of a 40opr team and a 99opr team.

Is it my impression, or the game does play way differently compared with most of the year after the last patch or something?

I remember hearing it in a Matt video, then in many of your posts. I tried the game again yesterday a bit and I felt a lot of different stuff then when I dropped. More shielding, even more fouls.. feels like they were trying out some 2019 stuff in advance..

Although the laser passes are unfortunately alwas there :LOL:.

Is it my impression, or the game does play way differently compared with most of the year after the last patch or something?

I remember hearing it in a Matt video, then in many of your posts. I tried the game again yesterday a bit and I felt a lot of different stuff then when I dropped. More shielding, even more fouls.. feels like they were trying out some 2019 stuff in advance..

Although the laser passes are unfortunately alwas there :LOL:.
Don't remember the last time you played it dude, but yes aftet the last update it was better. :D A little bit more fouls, nothing crazy thou, 1-2 per match. Yes shielding works with physically but collisions unfortunately do not.
Finally the lasser passing you mention.After 4-5 games, it starts breaking my nerves. Not only the CPU passes but my players also.I got tired watching one-touchy errorles passes out of balance with the outside of the foot!!! :P
Thei fakin spamming the outside even in passes tgey can use inner or the other foot. Or even better ,Backheels with the outside of the foot and out of context. :P

Don't remember the last time you played it dude, but yes aftet the last update it was better. :D A little bit more fouls, nothing crazy thou, 1-2 per match. Yes shielding works with physically but collisions unfortunately do not.
Finally the lasser passing you mention.After 4-5 games, it starts breaking my nerves. Not only the CPU passes but my players also.I got tired watching one-touchy errorles passes out of balance with the outside of the foot!!! :P
Thei fakin spamming the outside even in passes tgey can use inner or the other foot. Or even better ,Backheels with the outside of the foot and out of context. :P

I completely stopped play the game maybe around march or something of that year, can't precisely remember, but I 100% did not play the last update anyway, of that I'm sure.

Yeah the pass system for me was game breaking above it all. I liked a lot of stuff of 2018 so despite the no fouls, almost no physical, positional broken game I kept try for a long time, but a Juventus ML made me finally give it up. I can clearly recall that I was playing this game against Spal, winning 1-0 most of the match when Spal draw me in the last minutes with an infinite number of perfect laser passes, with my subsequent rage. Pretty sure I've even written about it here at the times :P . Then I had the same treatment against Venezia in the national cup, where this serie b team with an overall of not even 70 I think beat me 3-1 with another sequence of perfect laser passes, and that's when I called it a day for good.

It's a true shame because I think that with some physicality and more human passes, even something 2019 style, this game would have really shined. I loved most of the animations, graphics, and when the match clicked it felt really, really good overall. I had derby/rival matches that although very unfair felt real life like and were in some way some of the better experiences I've had with the whole saga.

Well I guess that when I'll be in the mood for some outerwordly challenge I'll give it a try again :P .

Gosh.. Finally, I found this topic... anyway... 4 days ago, my PC just died... looks like a motherboard or PSU, but I will enable to fix it after the holidays now, when finally I have more for spending at home and playing something, but.. I don't have PC, so I'm coerced to play on my old PS3... I have PES 2018 on PS3, but the game looks awful, I know its from system limitation, but is there a way at least to put some OF for logos and kits? Like PC version? I know that on that point are some Option Files for PS3, but I never install or deal with it. I search on google but I found sites with awful links with lots of ads and me never come to download OF... and I can't find OF and here in eve-web... can somebody help me with legit links and a bit instruction how to install OF for PS3... thank you in advance

Gosh.. Finally, I found this topic... anyway... 4 days ago, my PC just died... looks like a motherboard or PSU, but I will enable to fix it after the holidays now, when finally I have more for spending at home and playing something, but.. I don't have PC, so I'm coerced to play on my old PS3... I have PES 2018 on PS3, but the game looks awful, I know its from system limitation, but is there a way at least to put some OF for logos and kits? Like PC version? I know that on that point are some Option Files for PS3, but I never install or deal with it. I search on google but I found sites with awful links with lots of ads and me never come to download OF... and I can't find OF and here in eve-web... can somebody help me with legit links and a bit instruction how to install OF for PS3... thank you in advance

PES 2018 PS3 Option File PES 2019 Legacy by AndrewPES Season 2018-2019

There are was two versions of the patch: for BLES (European) And BLUS (USA). In archive only version for BLES.
This mark is situated on disc.
Good, my disk is BLES too. The game version when I start it shows 1.05.02. Since Konami terminate PS3 servers, I can't download DLC or other version of the game I guess .This patch for what version of the game is made? Looks is not compatible with with mine.

Good, my disk is BLES too. The game version when I start it shows 1.05.02. Since Konami terminate PS3 servers, I can't download DLC or other version of the game I guess .This patch for what version of the game is made? Looks is not compatible with with mine.

I do not installed this one patch by myself yet.
Just have it in my archive in case i will try to find time and wish to install it once.
As i understand all official offline updates will be installed even if game support is over.

Last edited:
Not meant to be a dig at you, no. But not everyone knows about this feature, and the way you spoke about it in your first post (and this new one too) makes me think this way of using super cancel is new to you, whereas it's actually a long-established usage.

I only mentioned 'bug' because you did so in your post. I too don't think it is actually a bug; I think it's a game mechanic. I disagree that it is used to create/affect momentum. I think it is just part of the (dodgy, often unhelpful) assistance system which doesn't trust players to have free control. (Incidentally, in real life football, the "catch up" phenomenon does happen, even between mismatched defenders and attackers—another reason I don't think of the in-game representation as a bug.)

It's this kind of thing that made me refer to super cancel usage as PES 101, because this is an old and faithful way of using it—as old as the introduction of super cancel itself.

I think this description isn't quite right. Super cancel allows you to run a path which—as you say—is not stuck to a rail. What the game mechanic wants is for your player to curve towards the ball in its present position and so always slow down the run to increase the accuracy of that run-path. It's like a homing function.

With that function off, you can chase other things, such as the future position of the ball, which is great for interceptions, or the future path of the player (great for obstruction). If you're running ahead of the ball, you'll run at full pace, except if you're turning as you do it. Running in that situation without super cancel, you're constantly curving towards the ball (imperceptibly), in order to stay locked onto it, which is why the pace is reduced.
Sorry for feeling offended about the 101 thing back then. I saw an episode of How I met your Mother in the meantime, and I understood what 101 means. :)

On topics revival, I will post some videos with butter soft dribbling the following days, so I am polishing the ground.

Back
Top Bottom