PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

On topics revival, I will post some videos with butter soft dribbling the following days, so I am polishing the ground.

With all the retro-loving going on at the moment, it'll be good to see PES2018 getting some attention. It has its problems (many in common with most other recent PESs - eg. lack of midfield) but is my favourite of the lot (strictly in fixed cursor mode). I've probably had more brilliant moments and brilliant matches in this game than all the rest combined.

The team-mate AI in fixed cursor is significantly better in 18 than in 19 and 20. Konami have clearly dismantled it, which is a real shame. I'm not sure if this is just a side effect of whatever they're doing with other game modes and they haven't bothered to check the effects on fixed-cursor mode, or have they deliberately dumbed down your team-mates' AI to make this mode more "challenging".

Anyway, looking forward to your dribbling butter.

I was very harsh with this game, but judging how 19 and 20 turned out to be I've come to re-appreciate it under a different light, at least basing on my memories. Sooner or later I'll try it out again.

Moreover, I also think this game looks better than both his successors.

I was very harsh with this game, but judging how 19 and 20 turned out to be I've come to re-appreciate it under a different light, at least basing on my memories. Sooner or later I'll try it out again.

Moreover, I also think this game looks better than both his successors.

I came back to this one a couple of weeks ago. What a fresh feeling over 18 and 19. Dribbling is much better. Don't know why I overlooked it a couple of years ago but I've put more hours than 20 already

With all the retro-loving going on at the moment, it'll be good to see PES2018 getting some attention. It has its problems (many in common with most other recent PESs - eg. lack of midfield) but is my favourite of the lot (strictly in fixed cursor mode). I've probably had more brilliant moments and brilliant matches in this game than all the rest combined.

The team-mate AI in fixed cursor is significantly better in 18 than in 19 and 20. Konami have clearly dismantled it, which is a real shame. I'm not sure if this is just a side effect of whatever they're doing with other game modes and they haven't bothered to check the effects on fixed-cursor mode, or have they deliberately dumbed down your team-mates' AI to make this mode more "challenging".

Anyway, looking forward to your dribbling butter.
Before i start uploading the videos, i agree with the known issues, and cannot agree more on the general AI, COM and comControlled teamates, that in 2019 and 2020 it is of the dumpest in the last 10 years at least.

Check below to my screenshots, two matches , one in 2018 ML and one in 2020 ML, both in Top Player.

On 2018 is a do-or-die Europa League knockout game, second leg in my home, after a 1-1 draw in Feyenord. Of course i dominated them with my playstyle, as i wanted to secure any possilbe COM cheating, cause without midfield and physical battles, it is very difficult to go for a 0-0 conservative draw. And without fouls, as we already know..

On 2020, another do-or-die LaLiga match with Extremadura (me) against Barcelona, they are first with a +2 points difference and if they loose they go second with -1. What's their approach? Just being the dumpest COM team of the ML, with the most flat AI/ID and all they do, is just being MF-ing cynical and score 2 goals, with 2/2 shots...

Attachments

• PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2018_20200624123105.jpg
    PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2018_20200624123105.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • eFootball PES 2020_20200624165425.jpg
    eFootball PES 2020_20200624165425.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Before i start uploading the videos, i agree with the known issues, and cannot agree more on the general AI, COM and comControlled teamates, that in 2019 and 2020 it is of the dumpest in the last 10 years at least.

I know you posted in PS4/XBOX, but are you by any chance playing on PC? I was able to edit some dt files as back then I think just one person was testing it and nobody really payed attention to it, it really exploded in '19. So far its been a very refreshing experience. I know your screenshots have 0 fouls, for some reason I've been having fouls in all my games (vanilla). Matt10L fix for the positioning has also seem to improve a bit

I know you posted in PS4/XBOX, but are you by any chance playing on PC? I was able to edit some dt files as back then I think just one person was testing it and nobody really payed attention to it, it really exploded in '19. So far its been a very refreshing experience. I know your screenshots have 0 fouls, for some reason I've been having fouls in all my games (vanilla). Matt10L fix for the positioning has also seem to improve a bit
Thanks pal. Unfortunately I am on ps4, my laptop cant handle more than pes 2017, tried even the 2018 Lite Version and it is completely unplayable.

As for fouls, it is true I have less, usually I have 1 each team, somevery rare times I have 2~3 and in some matches I have 0, but to be honest, there are fouls that stay advantages due to me playing with supercancel and continuing the attack.
BTW I play 10 minutes, maybe this also contributes to less or no fouls, aside with my playing style, which is avoid any physical contact, taking in mind the zero physicality of the game.

Do you have any links for
@Matt10 fix.

This is a game i return to quite often,and I might give it a lengthy run

Do you have any links for
@Matt10 fix.

This is a game i return to quite often,and I might give it a lengthy run
I personally remember since back then, this video of Matt.

On PS4 it is indeed very true, that by setting GAME SPEED to +1, it pretty much fixes the response time animations, making them perfect for defense, it works as a bridge between two separeate animations, making some moves that used to look clunky and robotic, to look completely fluid on +1.
My two problems are, i am a defaultwhore and that +1 makes also the ball +1 fast. i would prefer players speed of +1, with ball speed of 0. (impossible in consoles)

It seems like KONAMI created something flawed, then tried to fixed it by destroying something else. To put an analogy, it is like they created a sculpture with molten iron, and after the iron chilled, they changed their minds and started forging the cool solid iron with a hummer, always breaking something while trying to fix something else.

I had a project back then, of decapitilize all player names and try to add +10 physical contact to all players, in case some better collisions could happen. The first project failed cause the nameplates in matchscreen are not familiar with decapitalized letters and the second project was abondoned , after the stats testing results were not so clear. The proper test should be, set all to 40, than all to 99, then if it works, default them and add +10 to all.
Unfortunatelly there is so little time, not even enough for transfer updates and cosmetic edits.

Last edited:
I personally remember since back then, this video of Matt.

On PS4 it is indeed very true, that by setting GAME SPEED to +1, it pretty much fixes the response time animations, making them perfect for defense, it works as a bridge between two separeate animations, making some moves that used to look clunky and robotic, to look completely fluid on +1.
My two problems are, i am a defaultwhore and that +1 makes also the ball +1 fast. i would prefer players speed of +1, with ball speed of 0. (impossible in consoles)

It seems like KONAMI created something flawed, then tried to fixed it by destroying something else. To put an analogy, it is like they created a sculpture with molten iron, and after the iron chilled, they changed their minds and started forging the cool solid iron with a hummer, always breaking something while trying to fix something else.

I had a project back then, of decapitilize all player names and try to add +10 physical contact to all players, in case some better collisions could happen. The first project failed cause the nameplates in matchscreen are not familiar with decapitalized letters and the second project was abondoned , after the stats testing results were not so clear. The proper test should be, set all to 40, than all to 99, then if it works, default them and add +10 to all.
Unfortunatelly there is so little time, not even enough for transfer updates and cosmetic edits.
Thanks Slammy!
Yeah going +1 Game Speed seems out of my comfort zone,I'll try it though!

I remember getting all my players the Malicia trait to draw more free kicks,can't really say it worked though.

There's always something broken/disturbing in every Pes game.
Played 14+15 lately,both great games.
But 14 failed for me because of I'm on PS3,and 15 above regular difficulty feels very cheaty

First video coming. The montage and editing is a little bit half-arsed cause of time pressure.. :D
So some soft touches, close controls, finesse dribbling etc, using R1 for sprinting, then leaving R1 and exploit the decreasing speed movement using only L-stick, then use close control with R2 or double R1 burst move.

Watched a few CPU v CPU matches earlier on and i was blown away by how exciting and action packed they were. PSG v Barcelona was particularly riveting. Very physical game, several yellow cards and a sending off. Players like Messi amd Mbappe showing off Some incredible moments of player individuality. Blows PES2020 out of the water in terms of Ai gameplay, imo.

Watched a few CPU v CPU matches earlier on and i was blown away by how exciting and action packed they were. PSG v Barcelona was particularly riveting. Very physical game, several yellow cards and a sending off. Players like Messi amd Mbappe showing off Some incredible moments of player individuality. Blows PES2020 out of the water in terms of Ai gameplay, imo.

This is the PES I'm actually playing right now and its been a very pleasant experience. I'm seeing more variety than in PES20.

This video is the best video i have seen until today, regarding close control and dribbling in PES 2018. The best part is , it is from Online Beta of 2018. That code did n't even achieve to get to the demo and final version of the game, without to be butcherd.

This video is the best video i have seen until today, regarding close control and dribbling in PES 2018. The best part is , it is from Online Beta of 2018. That code did n't even achieve to get to the demo and final version of the game, without to be butcherd.

I had the absolute best time in that beta. Really loved it.

This game is very good,one thing though (except no fouls etc) I'm on -1 or zero (zero game speed) speed.
And it's almost impossible to pull off dribbles me then shots,it's to clunky,CPU just sticks out a foot 9/10.
This is weird,because I feel no difference in pace Vs my 19 on -1.
It's much more responsive there,q level playing field.

And playing +1 is way to fast,even if it fixes that issue

I'm back on PES 2018 train again.
Having around 150 hours of Pes 2020, 150 hours of PES 2019, i just tried PES 2018, FUMA.

The first things i noticed was:
+ Fresh feeling
+ Very responsive controls, especially when pulling tricks and dribbling
+ Very smooth animation (the best after PES 2014)
+ Clean footplanting
+ BETTER and more variable lighting in stadiums
+ Crispier details and graphics
+ Body collisions are somehwhat more simple, but more realistic and natural
+ Very good awareness (players do try to trap the ball)
+ Very realistic 180 turn, where player stops the ball and then turn
+ There is some freedom in ball looseness, where some chances are created out of nowhere
+Nice tempo, not that realistic, but exciting

Things i don't like / i miss from next releases

- Ball is somewhat linear, does not curve much, but bounces better
- Controlling the ball are more basic (compared to PES 2020 natural and loose control)
- I HATE the constant backheel laser-accurate passing
- There is no error in passing (like PES 2020)

To be honest, PES 2018 look and feel more "next-gen" and fresh to me.
PES 2019 and PES 2020 killed the responsiveness, the footplanting is getting worse every year and the so-called "physicallity" is not at all natural.
Even the graphics (PES 2020 vanilla) ooze a PES 2012 feeling, with blurred and overly saturated colors, but Pes 2018 look more natural and modern.

Maybe PES 2018 is the best PES of the current gen (PES 2014-PES 2020).

what difficulty is that!? the AI seems to leave a lot of space for dribbling. aint looking much better than the later version in that regard.

what difficulty is that!? the AI seems to leave a lot of space for dribbling. aint looking much better than the later version in that regard.
Online beta was PvP online only if you mean this, so I assume regular difficulty.
Also keep in mind, if you didn't play online beta back then, that due to being online, it had some more input lag than the offline you mean in final version.
I don't know if it is clear what I mean. I mean that if you find this equal to final, imagine that this has the ping/latency of online.

Ah saw now @PRO_TOO. You talk about spacing right? Yes space/gaps is "weird" in any version of 2018.

I had the absolute best time in that beta. Really loved it.

Agreed. The best experience of football I had since pes 5 I think.
It had such a wonderful rhythm and nearly everyone you met online played proper football.
I remember controlling the ball as Martial for France was just sublime.
I have never played online before or since.

I'm back on PES 2018 train again.

I keep coming back to this game as well. I wish the pitch looked like '19 tho. I have been having great games not only with matt10 5 second fix from a few posts back but as well as his fix for positioning from PES19... seems since I applied it Im having less ping pongy games.

Im trying to mess with dt18 files to either make the ai in professional play more like superstar or superstar difficulty to play more like professional.
I like the randomness of pro, but its a bit easy

I keep coming back to this game as well. I wish the pitch looked like '19 tho. I have been having great games not only with matt10 5 second fix from a few posts back but as well as his fix for positioning from PES19... seems since I applied it Im having less ping pongy games.

Im trying to mess with dt18 files to either make the ai in professional play more like superstar or superstar difficulty to play more like professional.
I like the randomness of pro, but its a bit easy

Sorry, would you mind saying what his 5 second fix is again?
And what's his pes 19 positioning fix, I never saw that as I gave up on the game after a month...

Thank you.

Sorry, would you mind saying what his 5 second fix is again?
And what's his pes 19 positioning fix, I never saw that as I gave up on the game after a month...

Thank you.
If you find some related files, I am sure you will achieve something, as I remember pretty clear the game was much different in TP and SS before the first two DataPack.

TP for me back then was the best game flow, but it was very easy in the part I could walk easy inside opponent penalty box and I could intercept many easy passes from CPU CBS and GK. Superstar was tough with some cheat moments from time to time.

Near the first "monster patch" there was enough negative feedback on the cheat AI and there was also a good momentum, cause FIFA was releasing also a patch that would tone down some difficulty levels, according to their pitch notes. KONAMI did not mention it, but I had a secret hope, they would address that issue. I thought that if EA admits such an issue, there is no shame for Konami to go ahead and do the same.

Despite any hope and still unknown what feedback did they choose to follow, they toned UP the SS difficulty even more, making it a hell mode but at least with the side effect of tone up the TP to a more challenging level.

Also for PC guys, if you can combine player animations fluidity of PS4 game speed +1, but with ball speed of game speed 0, it would be ideal..

One thing I've realised. In pes 18 and the other game, the teams play in amongst each other. In pes 2020 the teams play up against each other, probably because of retreating,collapsing AI.
It means no intricacy or playing within lines...
It's more like two armies dug into trenches in pes 2020

Back
Top Bottom