PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

After not being able to complete a single full game (tried ML and BAL) on 21 because it instantly reminded me how much I hated 20, I noticed I still had this one installed. It immediately felt better. Players situational awareness is MUCH better, teams formations are much more compressed and looks way more like actual football. Dribbling is incredibly good and fun. There is fouls and proper fouls detections by the refs. I only wish the cpu was more dirty, giving more bad passes and bad touches which would probably lead to more midfield play and less end to end galore this game can be. Also if the cpu could play less over the top through balls that would be great.
Anyway, a much much better game than 20 or 21.

After not being able to complete a single full game (tried ML and BAL) on 21 because it instantly reminded me how much I hated 20, I noticed I still had this one installed. It immediately felt better. Players situational awareness is MUCH better, teams formations are much more compressed and looks way more like actual football. Dribbling is incredibly good and fun. There is fouls and proper fouls detections by the refs. I only wish the cpu was more dirty, giving more bad passes and bad touches which would probably lead to more midfield play and less end to end galore this game can be. Also if the cpu could play less over the top through balls that would be great.
Its a pretty solid game Pap,though coming from the very physical 17,it got little attention from me then.
But returned to it a lot during Pes 19, and I really liked it,just the fact the ai (like on 17) pulls off dribbles,long rangers etc is pretty damn good.
Just give tactics an overhaul ,compress the line ups etc and you have a really good game!

I had spare time for only 2~3 matches last night, so after reading your post i fired up my PES 2018 ML.
I was ready sto continue my 2020 ML save, before read your post.

I am in my third season, around March 2020-ingame date, had been relagated to EL knock out after a 3rd place in CL groups. Checked my manager history and i have won pretty much nothing in my 3 seasons ML carreer.

Played a tough league match VS BvB , 3-3 draw and an "easy" EL knockout vs Schalke, had win 2-1 from first leg, smashed them 1-4 away, although they had me 1-0 for 60 minutes and on the ropes. With 1-0 they would qualify on aggre. difference.

Differences i noticed emphatically in comparison to 2020 that i play the last months, in my game VS Schalke the players that came in as sub, felt that did the difference . Although the STAMINA is a little bit broken in 2018 and fatigue does not seem to have the same effect at general, players that came in felt all fresh and pacey and could outspeed the tired players of Schalke, while in 2020 even a fresh sub player, sometimes feels like he is exhausted with full stamina.

The most important part i noticed, and i tried to monitor it a lot, as it is a topic of discussion the recent days in both games FIFA and PES 2021, as physicality is not the strongest mpoint of 2018 and not a good option to defend, i tend to take the cursor player to cover the passing lanes, while i let the CPU controlled teamate to track the opponenet ball carrier, and in the timing i judge is good, i change cursor and intercept.

What i want to point is, in 2020 (dont know for 2021) it is impossible to defend like this, as your COM teamates are almost just watching the action and especially when your cursor controlled player is far from the ball, they just stand like plants. In short words it is impossible to almost suicide, to try defend that way as you have zero covering supports from your lads in 2020.

The dribbling, ball control, L-stick movement, with our without sprinting, is always 10/10 in this game, so i will not repeat on this. The one touch laser-passing, backheels evolution is also always a bad thing. Player being hyper responsive in comparison to 2020 and trying some lighst speed backheel passing. produces a lot "Ninja" animations.! :) But pros and cons of 2018 are already known and a finished article.

If they could only invest in the player movement of this game, it would be a true revolution in PES gaming!

Last edited:
PS3 updating question here.

So I can update to the latest version (1.08) but no data packs as the servers are down. Standard.

But I've found the DPs here: https://controlc.com/7ed59d4e

Question is, do I now need to install all of them, in order? I have further issues but I don't want to bog the thread down - maybe best to PM me!

Edit: hmm, could be a busted flush if so as the link for DP1 is dead. Still, any help welcome!

Last edited:
PS3 updating question here.

So I can update to the latest version (1.08) but no data packs as the servers are down. Standard.

But I've found the DPs here: https://controlc.com/7ed59d4e

Question is, do I now need to install all of them, in order? I have further issues but I don't want to bog the thread down - maybe best to PM me!

Edit: hmm, could be a busted flush if so as the link for DP1 is dead. Still, any help welcome!
When you install with internet connection, does n't the game install the DPs automatically, as it is supposed in PS4?

When you install with internet connection, does n't the game install the DPs automatically, as it is supposed in PS4?

Ohhhh yeah, I forgot to provide an update. This happened:

20201113_203936.jpg

Downloading the 1.08 (or 1.05.02, as it appears) update was fine. Happened automatically. But I couldn't access the data packs.

Started to install them one by one, manually. DP1 worked. DP2 worked. DP3 worked. DP4 didn't. I think the accompanying .BIN file (?) was at fault. But fortunately that unofficial 4.01 did work. Not sure what the difference is but it allowed me to install an option file!

So, if would to play PES 2018 on PS4 (in 2021), it will automatically install the last DPs ?
I have not tried, but according to what everybody has confessed until now, installing PES 2018 ON PS4 with internet switched on, installs with all DataPacks. You just can't apply Live Update..

Reactions: H_G
Bern playing BAL on most of my Pes games to see which one plays the best,and no suprise that 18 feels the best.
And I got the urge to start a ML on it again.
Such a underated game Vs 19/20/21
A bonus is to bring back Totti from retirment for a final season

Bern playing BAL on most of my Pes games to see which one plays the best,and no suprise that 18 feels the best.
And I got the urge to start a ML on it again.
Such a underated game Vs 19/20/21
A bonus is to bring back Totti from retirment for a final season

After playing the PES2022 demo a couple of nights ago, to get the bad taste out of my mouth, I turned on PES2018 for the first time in months. It still plays so well compared to their more recent efforts. I remember thinking at the time I when I first really got into 2018 (about 8 months after release) that it was something of a masterpiece. It still feels like their best game to date.

This is the game where the AI play peaked (which is a reason why BAL works well here) - the variety of goals is miles beyond what we get now. But the AI has been much simplified ever since. I've never been sure why Konami did that - perhaps to free up resource for the revamped gfx in future versions, or to add the additional layers of cheating and scripting.

Sure, it's not perfect and has its problems, eg. the AI ping-ponging, cpu boosts and momentum script, but I wish somebody could take this game as a base and build on it.

After playing the PES2022 demo a couple of nights ago, to get the bad taste out of my mouth, I turned on PES2018 for the first time in months. It still plays so well compared to their more recent efforts. I remember thinking at the time I when I first really got into 2018 (about 8 months after release) and thinking that it was something of a masterpiece. It still feels like their best game to date.

This is the game where the AI play peaked (which is a reason why BAL works well here) - the variety of goals is miles beyond what we get now. But the AI has been much simplified ever since. I've never been sure why Konami did that - perhaps to free up resource for the revamped gfx in future versions, or to add the additional layers of cheating and scripting.

Sure, it's not perfect and has its problems, eg. the AI ping-ponging and cpu boosts, but I wish somebody could take this game as a base and build on it.
Playing BAL on this game is the best I've done a modern game,haven't played BAL lots n 17 though.
I'm having fun playing it,wish the reaction time and defending (on ML) were a bit closer to 17,I really enjoy that playing 17.

19 was very bad (league mode ok) but 20-21 aren't doing it for me

Playing BAL on this game is the best I've done a modern game,haven't played BAL lots n 17 though.
I'm having fun playing it,wish the reaction time and defending (on ML) were a bit closer to 17,I really enjoy that playing 17.

19 was very bad (league mode ok) but 20-21 aren't doing it for me

19 was a disaster for BAL. Konami decimated the teammate AI. I remember one of the biggest problems was that you could put your striker clean through on goal (I usually played as CM) and time after time he would just run straight into the keeper, no attempt to shoot or take it round the keeper. After one match where he did it about 6 times in one half, I gave up on it altogether. BAL/fixed cursor has improved a bit in 20/21 from the low point of 19 but it's still nowhere near good enough to be worth playing. I wouldn't be surprised if they delete the mode from 22.

19 was a disaster for BAL. Konami decimated the teammate AI. I remember one of the biggest problems was that you could put your striker clean through on goal (I usually played as CM) and time after time he would just run straight into the keeper, no attempt to shoot or take it round the keeper. After one match where he did it about 6 times in one half, I gave up on it altogether. BAL/fixed cursor has improved a bit in 20/21 from the low point of 19 but it's still nowhere near good enough to be worth playing. I wouldn't be surprised if they delete the mode from 22.
Yeah I haven't enjoyed on 20-21.
If they keep this going,the ai needs to get back to 17/18.
Plus I hope they get cutscenes/stats/different missions to fullfil to make it a bit more engaging

I was just saying in the PES 2017 thread, this afternoon my wife brought me home a bundle of old football games from CEX and PES 2018 was included in there.

I know I said I would only play PES 2017 forever but I was so tempted to play this because I just couldn’t remember if I had played this before - and I definitely haven’t.

After a few matches it’s probably way too early to tell but I think this is very good. It hasn’t got the variety of PES 2017 but it’s definitely got a more ‘free’ feeling. It’s also very challenging and the CPU has already scored a shot from outside the 18-yard box against me.

I think it’s beautiful on PS5 too (not that the newer console should make a difference?) It’s a cleaner looking PES, I hate how modern PES (2020 and 2021) look. Pitches in 2018 look really nice.

I thought I would hate this and don’t know why - probably because I’ve read negative comments about it before but maybe that was PES 2019? I don’t know why but I always get the two mixed up.

tldr - this is a very good version of PES imo.

Last edited:
Apologies for bumping this again:

I’ve been playing a lot of this, PES 2017 and trying to persist with PES 2019 last few nights (as well as playing a match every day on my Aston Villa save on FIFA 16) I keep promising myself that I’ll stick to just ONE football game. But I can’t do it. I think I genuinely have a form of OCD with football gaming (and I’m not making light of the anxiety order, I’m being very serious!)

Anyway:

What’s better this? This or PES 2019? I can’t decide. Ignore PES 2017 because for me, that stands alone on it’s podium. The thing I struggle with these days with that game though is the graphics - it’s such an ugly game (IMO).

PES 2018 and 2019 look gorgeous on PS5.

And what was the PES where you could just attack down the wings and the CPU wouldn’t touch you? Or did I dream that?

18 no doubt. It might be soft and has very little fouls, but AI is miles ahead.
19 AI was just horrible. Low cross+top corner shot. Very little variety. It was so frustrating to play.
18 still had decent AI individuality and dribbling was much better
Yes I'm finding this to be honest re: PES 2019.

It's so gorgeous though :LOL:

Apologies for bumping this again:

I’ve been playing a lot of this, PES 2017 and trying to persist with PES 2019 last few nights (as well as playing a match every day on my Aston Villa save on FIFA 16) I keep promising myself that I’ll stick to just ONE football game. But I can’t do it. I think I genuinely have a form of OCD with football gaming (and I’m not making light of the anxiety order, I’m being very serious!)

Anyway:

What’s better this? This or PES 2019? I can’t decide. Ignore PES 2017 because for me, that stands alone on it’s podium. The thing I struggle with these days with that game though is the graphics - it’s such an ugly game (IMO).

PES 2018 and 2019 look gorgeous on PS5.

And what was the PES where you could just attack down the wings and the CPU wouldn’t touch you? Or did I dream that?

Don't quote me on this but I read somewhere that the pitches in PES 18 are the biggest ones ever, which contributes to the expansive feel to it in my experience.

I actually think the AI is the worst part about it though, all they ever do against me is look for the one on one through ball. Play the game long term though and what you can do on the ball is basically limitless. And yes it's far better than anything that came after it.

Lack of red cards and penalties is obscene though

Don't quote me on this but I read somewhere that the pitches in PES 18 are the biggest ones ever, which contributes to the expansive feel to it in my experience.

I actually think the AI is the worst part about it though, all they ever do against me is look for the one on one through ball. Play the game long term though and what you can do on the ball is basically limitless. And yes it's far better than anything that came after it.

Lack of red cards and penalties is obscene though
Ι've talked about it millions of times,repeating myself, but the movement on PES 2018, acceleration, decreasing speed, L-stick, R2+L-stick, R1+L-stick, are all one of a kind , and the best in any PES game (i dont compare to FIFA cause it has analog sprint and analog movement with L-stick).

On the PES 2018 Online Beta, it was even more free and fluid, had some problems of course, cause it was in experimental phase, but the "good path would be, if they were building upon this system.

Even with the limitations in Demo and more limitations in Final version, it is still the most fluid system.
IMHO the system that was used that year (Real Touch+) that was an enhanced system of PES 2017 (Real Touch), i think played a key role to develop such smoothness.

The good part is, final version will be playeble forever (fingers crossed , cause i have the digital version :) )
Bad part is, the Online Beta will always remain as a dream in our memories!

Of course having as given how KONAMI works, when something is removed for no reason, it never comes back, or comes back after many years an a new feature.

And the usual rant, trying to defend in this game, with such less physicallity and so much space in the field, i feel like trying to catch a fly with chopsticks.

Ι've talked about it millions of times,repeating myself, but the movement on PES 2018, acceleration, decreasing speed, L-stick, R2+L-stick, R1+L-stick, are all one of a kind , and the best in any PES game (i dont compare to FIFA cause it has analog sprint and analog movement with L-stick).

On the PES 2018 Online Beta, it was even more free and fluid, had some problems of course, cause it was in experimental phase, but the "good path would be, if they were building upon this system.

Even with the limitations in Demo and more limitations in Final version, it is still the most fluid system.
IMHO the system that was used that year (Real Touch+) that was an enhanced system of PES 2017 (Real Touch), i think played a key role to develop such smoothness.

The good part is, final version will be playeble forever (fingers crossed , cause i have the digital version :) )
Bad part is, the Online Beta will always remain as a dream in our memories!

Of course having as given how KONAMI works, when something is removed for no reason, it never comes back, or comes back after many years an a new feature.

And the usual rant, trying to defend in this game, with such less physicallity and so much space in the field, i feel like trying to catch a fly with chopsticks.
I’ve spent all afternoon with this and it’s a joy to play at times. It has a beautiful flow to it - this PES for me is the perfect balance between fun and simulation. It’s a very good game, can’t believe I didn’t give it more time before.

It’s definitely got it’s issues. But I’m having a good time with it.

I’ve spent all afternoon with this and it’s a joy to play at times. It has a beautiful flow to it - this PES for me is the perfect balance between fun and simulation. It’s a very good game, can’t believe I didn’t give it more time before.

It’s definitely got it’s issues. But I’m having a good time with it.
I personally revisit my ML save from time to time, being somewhere in 3rd season now, nothing of silverware. As usuall (except for every PES up to 2010, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021) i am in the usual gap between TP and SS difficulty.

On Top Player i start dominate sooner or latter, removing the challenge, on Superstar i am constantly pushing a wall, most matches are: Those i win 1-0, those we draw 0-0 or 1-1 and those i loose 0-2.

Recently as i was completelly out of touch, i lost to PSG home and away in the Europa League Semifinal, 0-2 and 2-0. Coming form a long period of 2020 & 2021, i really loved how the AI trashed me with its dribbling skills. Neymar on the flank and T. Weah did some crazy shite dribbling, i had years to defend to.. :)

If i felt after 3 years, that the Superstar AI has a kind of learing curve and is not just a rigid "fight the machine" situtation, i would invest all my time on this for the future.

I assume someone with better skills and adaptability can enjoy it more than me.

Last edited:
I personally revisit my ML save from time to time, being somewhere in 3rd season now, nothing of silverware. As usuall (except for every PES up to 2010, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021) i am in the usual gap between TP and SS difficulty.

On Top Player i start dominate sooner or latter, removing the challenge, on Superstar i am constantly pushing a wall, most matches are: Those i win 1-0, those we draw 0-0 or 1-1 and those i loose 0-2.

If i felt after 3 years, that the Superstar AI has a kind of learing curve and is not just a rigid "fight the machine" situtation, i would invest all my time on this for the future.

It's a major issue. I win the league every season on TP and it's too easy but SS is just a horrible boring cheating bastard.

Thanks to the scripting though you're at least usually guaranteed 8-10 hard challenging games a season on TP.

What I love the most about this is how I can take a man on the wing and beat him if I've got a pacey player.

The CPU just scored a volley against me, looked very similar to Zidane's in Glasgow in the Champions League final all of the years ago. I've never, ever seen the CPU do that in PES 2019, 2020 or 2021.

Stupid question ,but if you're normally not a dribbler ,this is the game to do it on/learn it.
Brilliant game to pull off dribbles and beat your man.
I wasn't much of dribbler myself before PES 18 ,but now I am on all other games too.
Best game of them all for it.
Edit for @Jay's Earring

That's perhaps the most "controversial" modern Pes for me. I remember loving it to death on release, between the gorgeous look (to me it's still the best looking football game ever) and the amazing feel on the ball. I still remember playing an Argentina - Brazil in Maracana with the broadcast camera the evening of my first day with it.. and wow, went to sleep with the nowadays rare "can't wait to play this again tomorrow" feel.

Then unluckily in the long run the super harsh AI, togheter with the few fouls, the lack of physicality and the habit of the defenses to retreat, made me despise it. I remember I desperately tried to enjoy it for a long time, then as I probably recounted more than once, when I had this Juventus ML ongoing in which low table Spal, and then Venezia (a Serie B team) in Coppa Italia demolished one after another my stars with a senseless tiki taka, I kinda gave up on it.

By the way, I still store some warm feelings towards this game and probably will re try it again somewhere in the future. Even through the flaws, there is a lot to love of this game, or at least that I loved; aside from the already cited visuals and on the ball feel, I loved derby games (even tho I probably never won one :D), scoring was very fun and the AI, for how twisted and unfair it could have been, was still an AI, at least compared with the two touch jokes that came after this edition. When it clicked it played wonderfully. All in all it's an interesting title, moreso compared, again, with 19 and 20-21.

So can anyone tell me whether the vanilla or final games of pes 17 and 18 are the better version?
PES 2017 is the best PES since PES 5 (obviously just my opinion).

Don’t even bother with 2018. I’ve persisted with it, and I’ve even tried to enjoy PES 2019. But no game gets me out of my seat like PES 2017 does. The AI is something else. Fouls, free kicks, yellow cards, red cards, penalties (remember them?!) - the AI plays in so many different ways.

I play PES 2018 and the CPU just spams through ball over my defence over and over again - doesn’t matter if it’s Real Madrid or Burnley.

I can’t tell you what they are like pre and post patch I’m sorry, I always pull down the update.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom