PES 2019 Demo Impressions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes whatever it uses the AI definitely pass more when I switch to pa1. I also think they defend better/ tighter when I use pa1 and basic shooting
Maybe a mix of them (eg
PA1 and manual shoot or viceversa) could humanize the cpu behavior.

I've gone for shopto too. Last 2 years it's arrived on a wednesday, one day early, hopefully B-H Monday won't affect that.

You were on W*** too weren't you ? Don't know if you'll remember that two years ago I actually received my copy of the game on a Saturday from Simplygames, a full five days early lol, I was shocked, everyone on W*** was shocked, I know I had the trust of most people on W*** but I still felt I needed to post a vid of me holding the game just in case anyone thought I was at the wind up :LOL:, Must have been some sort of administrative error but I wasn't complaining.

How does Advanced Through Ball work, what's the difference to basic?

I'm playing on assisted settings but manual L2 passing seems quite effective and intuitive.

Are there any other settings I should look at adjusting from default? I play online mostly so don't want to put myself at a massive disadvantage.

I'm playing on assisted settings but manual L2 passing seems quite effective and intuitive.

Are there any other settings I should look at adjusting from default? I play online mostly so don't want to put myself at a massive disadvantage.

Advanced through ball(ATB) is a brilliant nightmare. I hate on-screen cursors but you need it to begin with in order to understand what's going on. ATB enables you to bend your passes which can produce some amazing results but judging the power and movement is difficult. The movement of the circular cursor has more to do with the power than how long you hold the triangle button. I should only use it for long distance through balls as I can do those consistently but I try it all the time anyway! It's definitely worth giving it a go. Also, if you hold the L2 button then it turns the advanced through ball mechanic off so you can just do a regular TB, albeit manual of course.

@thombhoy yes, I came from the dark side and do remember someone getting it very early, it must have been you! I think I might have gone into town to try and find a copy, I was wracked with envy!

Last edited:

I started to use ATB a few days ago with this demo. It allows total freedom for passing. I used the circle cursor the first day to get used to it. It's difficult at first but once you get it I think it's the best option. Now I don't use the circle cursor and it feels natural.

A new sombrero animation I've not seen before:

Kinda love panic defending creates huge holes now (frantic player switching, tackling the air). Better to just relax:

Maybe a mix of them (eg
PA1 and manual shoot or viceversa) could humanize the cpu behavior.
it's difficult as I quite like PA1 plus basic or maybe advanced shooting as that feels more stat based than manual. But I prefer the AI on manual. Hopefully the AI passing will be reduced on PA1 in retail. I'll deffo stick with that if it is

Having this situation in demo, superstar https://streamable.com/k5at6 :BORED:
thats because of the stupid and broken advanced tactic for liverpool(deep defensive line)
and no matter what, the advanced tactic won't change for teams
Konami just too naive to apply this feature into the game
would be a great feature if the ai change their tactic depend on situation
or not even use them sometimes because advanced tactics just override teams playstyle
somehow they manage to create broken moment like this because the mechanism behind is too simple

This must be the worst Pes ever. Pressure fest, ping pong passing, and mak8ng all players pass and speciallu tackle perfectly n9 matter what. The tackling and accuracy of everything is so stupidly over the top that it doesn't resemble at all a game of football. They have destroted dribbling and made passing a matter of spammimg buttons. Nothing to do wirg a football brain to play this, they have made the finsl step to become anotger fifa. I hope they fail, I have now words for this, very disappointed.

The anger flows through you like only the PES side of the force can produce, and out through your fury driven trembling fingers while you typed this :OH:

MedicalInsidiousAfricanelephant-size_restricted.gif

Scripted(or Lucky) Headers/goals:DD

I'm losing 0-2 on Top player. I'm practicing my headers so basically I just cross and try to head the whole match.
Damn! COM defenders are good at defending crosses(plus my L2 crosses not accurate either).
Then scripting(luck?) kicks in and I managed to score 2 effortless goals to draw. Suddenly, my teammates are open.
It can go either way. On some games, I'm leading then my defense starts to sucks!

My teammate suddenly left open.
I'm not even controlling the player who scores :DD
ezgif.com-video-to-gif_14.gif

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_10.gif

I managed to draw with this goal. COM defense suddenly turned soft!

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_13.gif

Last edited:
I have FINALLY played the demo. Only brief impressions after a few games:

• Shooting definitely improved on basic. Seen lots of variety and some amazing finishes that I haven't seen the likes of since PS2. Had one effort rocket over the keeper off the bar and in.
  • Overall game feels more refined than 18, moves well, more fouls, some lovely animations.
  • INTERCEPTIONS, finally players make an effort to stop passes.
  • Keepers coming out is a huge problem. So big it need sorting quickly.
Really enjoyed what I played. Looking forward to playing proper length games.

Kinda love panic defending creates huge holes now (frantic player switching, tackling the air). Better to just relax:

Funny defense!
For a second, I thought it's an intentional Own goal, just because I started watching video near the end.:DD

Scripted(or Lucky) Headers/goals:DD

I'm losing 0-2 on Top player. I'm practicing my headers so basically I just cross and try to head the whole match.
Damn! COM defenders are good at defending crosses(plus my L2 crosses not accurate either).
Then scripting(luck?) kicks in and I managed to score 2 effortless goals to draw. Suddenly, my teammates are open.
It can go either way. On some games, I'm leading then my defense starts to sucks!

My teammate suddenly left open.
I'm not even controlling the player who scores :DD
ezgif.com-video-to-gif_14.gif

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_10.gif

I managed to draw with this goal. COM defense suddenly turned soft!
And they need to fix the keeper.
ezgif.com-video-to-gif_13.gif
in this last situation gk should not come out for the ball! there are three defenders around attacker. also that ball is difficult for keepers becouse of the swerve. don't get me wrong, ai is not perfect, there are some situations that gk should really come out but I saw him coiming out vs me many times. some gk's tend to do that more than others

in this last situation gk should not come out for the ball! there are three defenders around attacker. also that ball is difficult for keepers becouse of the swerve. don't get me wrong, ai is not perfect, there are some situations that gk should really come out but I saw him coiming out vs me many times. some gk's tend to do that more than others
Yep, you're probably right with the keeper. I just want to blame him too, for the COM's defense as a team. Will delete that one!:D
But my real concern is the defenders suddenly soft. There's 3 defenders but was able to score a half-volley.

Last edited:
Oh and i have seen an injury. With Trent Alexander Arnold. He pulled up in one game at the end of the first half and was holding his leg. Then a message flashed up second half that he was injured and should consider taking him off otherwise it will get worse (which I ignored) then during an attack he was down on the field, just sitting on the turf. When it went out of play I was forced to take him off with a bad injury.

I was playing wit the two Brazil teams today and one game, top player, full manual had everything in it. I had fouls, i saved a penalty. Late in the game i crossed in the ball and the AI attempted a diving header which it missed timed resulting in the ball looping over the keeper, was going to drop in and then the keeper finger tipped it over. The AI then was through on goal i tried to bring down the player with a slide tackle (last man) Player went down right on edge of box or just in and i thought i'm fucked here. Red card and pen? Nope booked for diving and when i looked it had blatantly dived. Then last second AI goes through again squares one up from 8 yards and blazed over :) 0-0 had never been so much fun

Cavani's amazing header that can melt keepers hands.:DD
ezgif.com-optimize_2.gif

ezgif.com-optimize_1.gif

One of the reasons why goals in this game feel cheap!

Last edited:
When something is not broken, do not fix it. This is a proverb that apparently does not turn up for the Konami. The proverb that they follow is if something is broken, breaks something else to mask the first.

The more I play, the more I'm going to hate this game. I have somewhere around 30 hours and I'm sure that if the final version is the same, I'll have 10 times a bit on it ... unless I liked the co-op mode and .. I was spinning some other hour on it but the game was absurd in so many areas.

One of the best sides of PES 2018 was PA1 passing. They were feeling nice and free, but somebody will say OP, but .. who cares, if you know how to defence ... they will be not a problem for you. Well now through passing is scripted almost on 90%.

Someone will say: "But wait this is a good thing because now the pass depends on the player's statistics, how they are more like humans they make errors, right ?" Fuk no, forget about this, here the stats do not matter, the only thing that matter is the position of the defence and how the pass will be "easier for the defence " and what AI wants.
Let's me explain:

1.jpg

In this case, I'm with Iniesta, one of the best and technical players in the game, at least statistically. I see Rakitic, there is plenty of free space in front of him, Pique is far away and slower, so I decided to make high through pass . For me, every pass in the blue zone is good and correct, every player as Iniesta should know that and should be able to do it! I also realize it, I'm playing this thing for 20 years and I understand what is happening and what I have to do or at least try to do with the joystick and the buttons, but AI decides otherwise.

2.jpg

The ball goes into a zone and position where it will be more convenient for the defence to react and deal with the situation. It has nothing to do with the direction and the power that I have to produce in this case, and this happens in 80% in similar situations. Even the percentage may be bigger.

Through pass is AI manipulated, script and as fake as everything around this game during the year. Like the fake scoreboards, fake as were the dynamic time and wheater, the snow and the lights and shadows, like fake 60 and full HD E3 streams! Everything in this game is fake and is controlled by the f*cking AI who decides when, who and how.

Of course, someone will say that " this is a bit extreme and there are matches and a situation in which you control things" ... well, maybe there are, but the way the code is written to give priority to defence, but with bad and cheap/cheat way, especially when it is so automated in my opinion is at a rather absurd level

I do not care about manually passing, I do not want to listen to you about this c**p. If I want play manually I will go to the stadium and kick the ball with friends. Not to mention that 99% of people who play manually are terrible and fails so bad. Few are the ones who really play good manually, but I do not care about that.

I hate the shots too, there is something very much gathered and mess up with them.

The goalkeepers are also at one end at the other, at one point they are like DeGea in the best shape, the next moment is like Karius. I can write a lot about the fake game, but for now, I will wait for the final version and watch how anyone of you will understand how bad and cheap is it.

Last edited:
I'd suggest if you think the AI controlling everything i wouldn't play it. I dont get that feeling at all this year. For me the demo has it's issues but this has the one more game feeling for me that I haven't had since the old WE days.

The online matchmaking is doing my head in tonight. Half an hour of searching and I must've had about 100 'unable to connect to opponent' :BRICK:

Anyone else getting this? Not just tonight, but in general. I'm on xbox

I don't understand them devoting all their time and resources into an online mode, yet the matchmaking and connection is by far the worst I've experienced in gaming hands down.

Had some better headers recently using medium/full power and aiming low on Advanced shooting, had some thumping headers from corners, though it seems much easier to get these powerful headers from corners than when crossing from open play; seems to be much more variety in heading animations from corners too.

Full power R2 shots on advanced are also really insane, the power and curl is incredible with some players especially if you can have the space to do the R2+RS knock-ahead before it! Try with Calhanoglu on a low difficulty so the AI gives you the space to experiment.

That R2+RS set up seems to trigger the dipping shots pretty often as well from normal shots, but it's almost unusable online as people hold the pressure buttons so much that you very rarely get the space to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom