PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Nice to know I'm not alone on this.
Myleague and 4x12 is the way to go

Funny how I player lock in myleague but didn't try fixed cursor in ML until recently

I like realism when it comes to tempo and stats that's why basketball games are always tricky for me.

When it comes to football, it can be difficult to get right. I'm lucky I've found a bit of a balance with 20 minute matches because initially when I came back to PES, I found myself unsatisfied by the shot totals and scores when I played 10-12 minute matches.

Funny how I player lock in myleague but didn't try fixed cursor in ML until recently

I like realism when it comes to tempo and stats that's why basketball games are always tricky for me.

When it comes to football, it can be difficult to get right. I'm lucky I've found a bit of a balance with 20 minute matches because initially when I came back to PES, I found myself unsatisfied by the shot totals and scores when I played 10-12 minute matches.
I've played 20 min games on Pes since 15 I think (not on 16 it was impossible) and how different the game plays on longer games Vs shorter is really noticeable!

I like player lock in 2k ,i usually do a player career on myleague that way,like how the ovr rating goes up and down depending on how good/bad you've played.

Both Pes and fifa has a lot to learn

Yeah I've just played DP5 and...

I didn't notice any of it and conceded 2 goals by AI squaring in the box

...the exact same thing happened to me.

Played as Newcastle against Wolves, AI tiki-takas perfectly (tried Top Player and Superstar) and they scored four goals across two games, three of them were low crosses and all of them were into the roof of the net.

So it's a solid "exactly the same" from me, dudes. Trading in while it's worth something.

Both Pes and fifa has a lot to learn

First thing they can learn is hire more people. 2k has an insanely big team so they dedicate a lot more man power to the offline side of things.

Unrealistic though as 2K also a lot more money than PES so I doubt Konami will be bolstering their dev team.

Yeah I've just played DP5 and...

...the exact same thing happened to me.

Played as Newcastle against Wolves, AI tiki-takas perfectly (tried Top Player and Superstar) and they scored four goals across two games, three of them were low crosses and all of them were into the roof of the net.

So it's a solid "exactly the same" from me, dudes. Trading in while it's worth something.

I felt like the game was turning back into 18 with the AI utilizing similar styles and patterns of play that involved perfect one touch passes. Combine that with the game's issue with defensive positioning to begin with, it just wasn't fun to play anymore so I stopped and went back to PES 2017 where all I do now is compete with Bayern for everything. It's starting to make me hate German football lol

Only chance for you offline guys is that Konami decides to implement some kind of virtual currency in master league mode like NBA 2k does.
I think thats the only chance they will invest in this.
Other than that.. Nope I think offline will be dead.
Too many online gamers out there and too much money they get from this.
I mean come on.. Who can blame them.. Without MyClub (and Pes mobile) Pes would probably be close to get erased from Konamis list as there wouldn't be enough earnings from it. With the earnings of my club the financial side of Pes looks really good. So again who can blame them? Only chance is virtual Currency in ML.

What about a Modules-based game?.

For example: You purchase the base game. Which comes with very limited game modes, teams, leagues, options, etc.
Sort of a PES Lite.
But you can purchase and add extra content to your liking. More Leagues, more game modes, an improved Edit Mode, Gameplay Sliders, extra cameras, etc, etc, etc.

I know this wouldn't have to be necessary in an ideal world but we're very far off. And since they are only interested in money, I think it could work.

Lol you went from ''I'm not buying it unless it comes with sliders--and still bought it :ROCK:'' to ''Maybe it's a good idea to pay extra for more leagues,modes,sliders etc.."

This is what Konami does to our brains after some time..:DD

I bet that most of here who say that they won't buy the game until months after release,will eventually get it after 1-2 weeks if not earlier lol.

Lol you went from ''I'm not buying it unless it comes with sliders--and still bought it :ROCK:'' to ''Maybe it's a good idea to pay extra for more leagues,modes,sliders etc.."

This is what Konami does to our brains after some time..:DD

I bet that most of here who say that they won't buy the game until months after release,will eventually get it after 1-2 weeks if not earlier lol.

No no no.
I went from "I'm at peace with myself because I realized I will buy both games regardless of what they have to offer" - to - "paying a *reasonable* price for a solid base and then customize the game to your liking, being able to chose between hundreds of options by paying extra for each additional content".

You were probably just messing with me anyways.

Last edited:
Mate,the last patch that came out for Pes 2018 and could change the gameplay was in April-May of 2018.
From there on there is no more patches for this game so it can't be changed after that.And that is the case with every Pes version.So this thing that you say about how Pes 2018 will play in the third year etc after the online servers stop,don't make any sense.
It will always play like it played when the last patch was implemented,even if you play it 5 years after.
The online servers being stopped has nothing to do with it.

I think you watch many sci-fi movies..lol

The 3 year plan was only announced during PES 2018. You cannot dismiss my theory just yet...and to me, PES 2018 feels better than it played in its release year and, if my theory is correct, I'll be enjoying it a lot next year.

If my theory is incorrect, then I have no idea what the 3 year plan is.

unless.....

Bhatti could be a shapeshifter and he's collecting PES faces for his alien race to take over the world and the invasion of Earth begins on the day PES 2021 releases.

The 3 year plan was only announced during PES 2018. You cannot dismiss my theory just yet...and to me, PES 2018 feels better than it played in its release year and, if my theory is correct, I'll be enjoying it a lot next year.

unless.....

Bhatti could be a shapeshifter and he's collecting PES faces for his alien race to take over the world and the invasion of Earth begins on the day PES 2021 releases.

We dismiss it because 1. that's not how development planning works and because 2. without actually working for Konami, none of us know a thing about what they're planning besides whatever they decide to disclose to us.

The way things feel is entirely subjective and is based on compared experiences. So if PES 2018 feels better it's because your mind is comparing it to your experience with 2019. The game isn't better or different that it was when its last patch was release. They don't continue to work on previous releases. That's a waste of limited time they have to begin with.

unless.....

Mate,
Online Servers may or may not load certain (extra) gameplay configs that make the game feel very different to what you play offline. I guess we'll never know. But let's assume, Konami has a masterplan in which as soon as you go online to play, the game loads certain values to make the game more addictive or fun to make it profitable and make people want to play online more and more. I don't believe that for a second, but let's assume that's true.

It doesn't change the fact that we can actually CHECK the files installed on our PCs (sorry if you are on consoles), to see whether something has changed either during the first two years or after that until the end of time. And the truth is neither PES 2017 nor 2018 have changed a single byte after the last official update.

So your 3 year cycle makes absolutely no sense. Just placebo. Or a feeling. Sensations, emotions and feelings are subjective and all of them are respectable. One may not share another person's feeling but you have to respect them.

But facts are facts. And nothing has changed since the last official update from PES 2017 or 2018.

The reason why some people have been going back to PES 2017 and some of them have even gone back to 2018 is the same reason why people are STILL creating content and making patches for:

-PES 6
-PES 2011
-PES 2013
-FIFA 14
-FIFA 15
-FIFA 16

And I can back up my talk. Just go on Youtube and search for "PES [INSERT ANY VERSION HERE] 2019 PATCH" or "FIFA [INSERT ANY VERSION HERE] 2019 PATCH" and you will see what I mean.

In fact just 3 days ago, I was shocked to see an amazing new patch for PES 2011. I sat down still, entertaining the thought of whether to download PES 2011 and get that patch because it looked so good and just by watching this dude play it, made me want to try it. Needless to say I didn't do it. Because I started remembering why I didn't like PES 2011 gameplay.
About a month ago I also watched a few videos of some great up-to-date patches for PES 6 and again... I thought about getting it. But it just looks TOO dated for my GFX-loving brain.

I'm not trying to make you feel stupid or anything, I swear. I just want to make it clear that just because you have a certain sensation or a feeling going on inside of you doesn't turn a theory into valid. Facts are still facts.

That said, if what you're expressing here is just about how you FEEL, then I totally get it and RESPECT IT.

Last edited:
Regarding whether or not gameplay has changed after the last patch, I have to say I felt it different.
I'm not a friend of placebo (@Placebo sorry dude) but I played about 10 games yesterday night and I definitely thought it was different, long before reading what was detailed in the image posted in the previous page of this thread.

I'm not saying I like it more than pre-patch. I'm just saying it felt different. At least, in Cup Mode.

I had the same impression, i see a little more first touch error and player switching/pass adressing seems to be corrected again (both to pre-DP4 levels).

+
Afternoon lighting.
Nets physics.
Match pace.
A little more battle in the midfield.
AI actually making human mistakes.

-
Well, lots of them.

Last Christmas holidays, I went through my back catalogue of PES games and I was stunned by how good PES11 looked and some of the gameplay details were terrific. But after playing a match, it really was very clunky feeling and I couldn't go back to that. But it's dismaying to see how many good things used to be in this game that have been downgraded or removed altogether.

Alex said:

Alas, I think we can dismiss it. Whilst PES18 is indeed a lot better now than at its release, the culmination of the improvement came about in the final patch in May 2018. There have been no further patches for that game so it's not possible for it to have improved further.

The supposed 3 year cycle comprises 3 releases of the game, so if PES18 was the start of the cycle, PES20 would be the final installment of that cycle. But given the lack of or development or improvement in any offline aspect of the game, as an offline-only player, the 3 year cycle seems to be irrelevant to me. The only improvements have been in gfx (which, looking back at the 2011 videos, are only now getting back to that level they had already achieved 8 years ago!) and minor tweaks to the control of players and physics (offset by the horrible direction they've taken the gameplay, particularly the AI, which now feels more simplistic and one-dimensional than it was 18 years ago). So this current 3 year cycle seems to be an evolution of the game towards MyClub, featuring a dumbed-down style of play to suit the arcade, pick-up-and-play, i-wanna-score-in-the-top-corner-every-time-i-shoot people that play that mode.

We dismiss it because 1. that's not how development planning works and because 2. without actually working for Konami, none of us know a thing about what they're planning besides whatever they decide to disclose to us.

The way things feel is entirely subjective and is based on compared experiences. So if PES 2018 feels better it's because your mind is comparing it to your experience with 2019. The game isn't better or different that it was when its last patch was release. They don't continue to work on previous releases. That's a waste of limited time they have to begin with.

I get what you are saying.

You could be 100% correct - when I return to PES 2018 these days I skip anything to do with MyCLub so perhaps there s a placebo feeling of it being better. I can't disagree here.

I'm not in the games industry so my opinion is not based on fact - just speculation- and hope.

What I do know though is that things are constantly changing and adapting so I think ANYTHING is possible.

Mate,
Online Servers may or may not load certain (extra) gameplay configs that make the game feel very different to what you play offline. I guess we'll never know. But let's assume, Konami has a masterplan in which as soon as you go online to play, the game loads certain values to make the game more addictive or fun to make it profitable and make people want to play online more and more. I don't believe that for a second, but let's assume that's true.

It doesn't change the fact that we can actually CHECK the files installed on our PCs (sorry if you are on consoles), to see whether something has change either during the first two years or after that until the end of time. And the truth is neither PES 2017 nor 2018 have change a single byte after the last official update.

So your 3 year cycle makes absolutely no sense. Just placebo. Or a feeling. Sensations, emotions and feelings are subjective and all of them are respectable. One may not share another person's feeling but you have to respect them.

But facts are facts. And nothing has changed since the last official update from PES 2017 or 2018.

I don't have the details on whether the installed files change or not. If so, then you have a very good argument against my theory.....

I can think of 2 possible counter arguments

1. could the 3 year plan be limited to a particular format (hence ? e.g. PS4 version.
2. could the changes already be coded into in the installed files e.g. include a code that after server-switch-off date the game will play with e.g. "SCRIPT OFF". [if so, you would not see any changes to the installed files.]

The supposed 3 year cycle comprises 3 releases of the game, so if PES18 was the start of the cycle, PES20 would be the final installment of that cycle. But given the lack of or development or improvement in any offline aspect of the game, as an offline-only player, the 3 year cycle seems to be irrelevant to me. The only improvements have been in gfx (which, looking back at the 2011 videos, are only now getting back to that level they had already achieved 8 years ago!) and minor tweaks to the control of players and physics (offset by the horrible direction they've taken the gameplay, particularly the AI, which now feels more simplistic and one-dimensional than it was 18 years ago). So this current 3 year cycle seems to be an evolution of the game towards MyClub, featuring a dumbed-down style of play to suit the arcade, pick-up-and-play, i-wanna-score-in-the-top-corner-every-time-i-shoot people that play that mode.

Not what I'm thinking : https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-2020-rumours-discussion-thread.80122/page-4#post-3375493

As implausible as you guys think my theory sounds - dismissing it at this early stage just means possibly missing out on something that was always there - but we never took the time nor made the effort to see it.

I'm a gamer of experimentation. I'm prepared to look back instead of forwards - especially if the konami crew are feeding me with a "3 year plan".

It's like a manager giving their team tactics to the opponent's manager before the match so that they can prepare or counter it.

I don't like it. It's nice to figure out what the other team is doing by the way they play not because they already showed you what they're going to do.

Like Chris said, the time you have available to figure out these patterns from just looking at the action is too short, especially as the AI is changing tactics on the fly quite often. But horses for courses, I guess.

2011 was the last one with great shooting mechanics imo. You could play for hundreds of hours and still see unique and unexpected goals... Any time you got a sight of goal you could have a pop, and if it was hit well you had a chance of it flying in.

Since then, it's felt much more artificial, where it always feels like you have a better chance of scoring if you refuse to hit sub-optimal shots and try to dribble into the perfect "sweet spots" to finish.

Much better crossing controls as well. No idea why they changed double-tap to a ground cross and removed the old double-tap faster cross.

Like Chris said, the time you have available to figure out these patterns from just looking at the action is too short, especially as the AI is changing tactics on the fly quite often. But horses for courses, I guess.
I understand what you and Chris are saying. Didn't think of it that way but I see your point with very short matches.
I just think it removes the element of surprise with tactics when playing against another human.

Shoot Error - Pass Error In PES it is completely between the arcade and the simulator. We really got tired. Most shots are in the context . There is no slider for adjustment.

Artificial Intelligence CPU scripting during attack . boring . Repetitive . The disaster . CPU is a totally machine game. Artificial intelligence is not dynamic and natural. What was awesome in the 2013 version.in PES 2019 player ID is dead. team ID is dead.

The CPU Shootout variation is awful. Cpu Do not Long Shoot .Especially from far away distances. 35 meters to the top that does not long Shoot at all .The player does not dribble. CPU goes closer up to the player just one - two passes . It's really joke. What happened to the eighth generation of soccer games?

unbelievable . 8 generation consoles have stronger hardware than the seventh generation consoles . But the artificial intelligence of the 7th generation PES is better than the 8 generation For example, PES 2013 has a natural and unique AI.

Really shame Konami destroyed exactly two parts. First : AI section. And the second : is the Master League. There are exactly two topics that are related to the offline section. Konami has intentionally done this. Intentionally weakened the offline Modes

I have no doubt Konami has deliberately done this. Intentionally weakened the offline section. To force gamers to force online. And go to the My Club section And spend money. It's really shameful .

I understand what you and Chris are saying. Didn't think of it that way but I see your point with very short matches.
I just think it removes the element of surprise with tactics when playing against another human.

Yes, see your point as well. I was referring to vs COM matches, though, not versus other humans. Can’t you turn it off altogether to keep the surprise?

Yes, see your point as well. I was referring to vs COM matches, though, not versus other humans. Can’t you turn it off altogether to keep the surprise?
No option to turn it off.
I was fooled before. My cousin/opponent said he didn't see it when I switch to my defensive and custom formation(with different advanced tactics).
I trusted him but turns out he sees it all the time. haha
In the past he only use one preset tactic. But when he started using the other preset tactics, I've realized it's visible to the online opponent. haha

Last edited:
What I do know though is that things are constantly changing and adapting so I think ANYTHING is possible.

Things do change. But, at some point, change will only take place in future titles. At some point they will stop making changes to 2019 and and further advancements/adaptations will take place in 2020, 2021 etc.

Anything is possible? Sure I guess. I'm sure it's possible that I could take the starting job from Tom Brady but I imagine it's highly improbable.

Just like it's highly improbable Konami, or any company that releases a game yearly, would take time to improve upon a game released 2+ years prior. What sense would that even make? They don't even want us playing their old games. They want us buying and playing their latest one.

1. could the 3 year plan be limited to a particular format (hence ? e.g. PS4 version.
2. could the changes already be coded into in the installed files e.g. include a code that after server-switch-off date the game will play with e.g. "SCRIPT OFF". [if so, you would not see any changes to the installed files.]

1. It makes even less sense to do it for one specific console.
2. Not how that works either. Coding an engine is a bit more involved than that. And yes you would see changes. Because what you described is literally actually changing a command.

As implausible as you guys think my theory sounds - dismissing it at this early stage just means possibly missing out on something that was always there - but we never took the time nor made the effort to see it.

I'm a gamer of experimentation. I'm prepared to look back instead of forwards - especially if the konami crew are feeding me with a "3 year plan".

Experiments require a control and variables. All you have are your thoughts and feelings. Neither is substantial in the grand scheme of things.

You're free to believe and feel whatever you like, but it doesn't mean said thoughts and feelings will have any bearing on the actual reality of PES, its development, or its future.

I'm now sure there were gameplay changes in the last update.
Game's A LOT tighter on Professional. The AI doesn't leave so much space.

They still abuse the ball to the sides and low-cross though..

I get what you are saying.

I don't have the details on whether the installed files change or not. If so, then you have a very good argument against my theory.....

I won't be missing out with PES18 because that's what I continue to play (I much prefer it to 19). And it hasn't changed since last summer. You can even check on console when it was last updated and what version you are playing - the last update was actually June 2018.

If you think you are experiencing changes in the gameplay, it could be placebo but also it's probably because it's a deep and complex game. Different teams play differently and the same team may play differently depending upon the type of match, eg. friendly, non-crucial league match, crucial league match, cup match, cup final, etc.

There are also clear momentum shifts during matches which affect how teams play.

And tactics can play an important part in PES, so if you play the same team but use different tactics each time, the game can play out quite differently.

And whilst there are some bits of action that recur pretty much every match, there are also things that occur only once in a blue moon - it's a deep game.

All these possible variations may be affecting your perception of the gameplay but I've been playing PES18 for the past year and it feels the same to me now as it did last year.

The only cycle I see regarding Pes games is that only the games with an uneven number are good.

Pes 11 - good
Pes 12 worse than 11
Pes 13 good and better than 12
Pes 14 - bad (tbf there was the engine change)
Pes 15 - pretty decent
Pes 16 - one of the worst
Pes 17 - good
Pes 18 - worse than 17
Pes 19 - better. Decent in my opinion

Pes 20 - ???

The chances are pretty low to get a much better game unfortunately.

Downloaded the update and gave it another chance - first time for weeks. My God, this iteration of Pes is the most boring, one dimentional, dullest, poorest gameplay experience in the history of the franchise imo. I hope that they spend all of 2020's development on the gameplay mechanics, because as it stands it is piss poor and does not deserve to be called a Pes game.

I have to say, as much as its time consuming to work shifts, have a child, two dogs and as much of a lazy bollox I am...

Im really tempted to play and record 5x20 mins matches, same matches, same settings, on both Pes17 and Pes19 and then out of this 200mins material to create a compilation of both, dividing it into sections:
- AI goals
- AI dribbling
- shot variety
And maybe some random moments.
Picture paint a 1000 words and Id love to sent clip like that to all the Konami people and delusional fanboys..

2011 was the last one with great shooting mechanics imo. You could play for hundreds of hours and still see unique and unexpected goals... Any time you got a sight of goal you could have a pop, and if it was hit well you had a chance of it flying in.

Much better crossing controls as well. No idea why they changed double-tap to a ground cross and removed the old double-tap faster cross.

And the best dribbling mechanics in the history of PES. Dribbling was a joy and you could wrong food your opponent in such a beautyful way.

At first i hate PES2011 because defending was terrible. Defenders had no awareness of where the ball was. But after a time it clicked and from this moment on i had a lot of fun with the game.

Back
Top Bottom