PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

See with PES being free, can I just get rid of my physical copy, download the free one and all my option file and saves will still be good? Cex doing £16 trade in just now.

PES 2019 is one of PS Plus's free games of July.

Not sure that this is a good sign. I love a golf game called The Golf Club 2019 and from what I know, they're really struggling for sales (despite slashing the price), and this meant there was nobody online to play against... So they ended up giving it away on Xbox via Games With Gold.

If PES was doing this just to get more microtransactions, I'd get it - but they've already got the "Lite" version to do that. So... Is the game just not selling?
Dont think has to do with sales. Much more looks like a try to expand their playerbase with any means possible. First the Lite, then the Lite for no PS+ members now this. As far as it think, they may not care about sales at this moment of the year so much, as the charts have been decided and as i said in the Retro-Corner, in 2,5 months the e-footballPES2020 will be released. So in 3 months maximum the PES2019 will be removed from psStore and steam due to KONAMIs aggressive marketing.
Having all these in mind, they give the impression , basically i think, that after Christmas holidays they dont give a damn about sales, digital or physical, but only about microtransactions revenue.

Not sure that this is a good sign. I love a golf game called The Golf Club 2019 and from what I know, they're really struggling for sales (despite slashing the price), and this meant there was nobody online to play against... So they ended up giving it away on Xbox via Games With Gold.

If PES was doing this just to get more microtransactions, I'd get it - but they've already got the "Lite" version to do that. So... Is the game just not selling?

Never expected PES to go free - When lite was first introduced a few months after PES (2016, I believe) release, I thought it was a kick in nads for the loyal paying customers/preorderers.

Considering I never played MyClub this year, my digital purchase feels like money wasted.

But this has also sealed it for me - I'm leaving PES 2020 til it becomes free next year.

Never expected PES to go free - When lite was first introduced a few months after PES (2016, I believe) release, I thought it was a kick in nads for the loyal paying customers/preorderers.

Considering I never played MyClub this year, my digital purchase feels like money wasted.

But this has also sealed it for me - I'm leaving PES 2020 til it becomes free next year.
I'm fairly sure they did it with 2018 last year.

EDIT: I can't find that anywhere, I may have misremembered.

Konami: "Please, play our game."

Me: " I don't have Playstation Plus in July ( i dont' see value in it), but even if i had it i wouldn't play it".
It's a frustrating game, why would i download it? I am not a masochist.

First, it was free to play, then it was totally free to play Myclub, you didn't even have to have Ps plus to play online matches in Myclub. Now the whole game is free.

This is ominous to me. They are deperately trying to become relevant again, probably sales have taken a huge hit compared to last year.

I heard they lost 2 million sales after they lost Champions League and Europa League rights. Pes 2019 sales must have been at lowest ever for Pes games since Ps2 Pes.

Konami: "Please, play our game."

Me: " I don't have Playstation Plus in July ( i dont' see value in it), but even if i had it i wouldn't play it".
It's a frustrating game, why would i download it? I am not a masochist.

First, it was free to play, then it was totally free to play Myclub, you didn't even have to have Ps plus to play online matches in Myclub. Now the whole game is free.

This is ominous to me. They are deperately trying to become relevant again, probably sales have taken a huge hit compared to last year.

I heard they lost 2 million sales after they lost Champions League and Europa League rights. Pes 2019 sales must have been at lowest ever for Pes games since Ps2 Pes.
I can't deny, that even me, while i don't give so much attention to licenses ( a license means just less editing work for me), when i play 17 & 18 and the CL presentation package comes, with the cinematic, the scoreboard, the anthem , the waving stat-sheet in the midfield etc i feel an extra temper and a little bit "nostalgia" in a good way.
It adds many points to the general immersion. I think it was completelly aimless to say that they wanted so much to lose that licence. It's not that we can't live without it, but when it is present, it boosts much the ML.

Just thinking a bit more about PES going free next month.

Could actually potentially make online a good experience (i.e. if your starting PES online/MyClub now)? More lower level teams to matchmake with in MyCLub and perhaps a more, casual and friendly approach from the player base whilst the hardcore MyClubbers move on to 2020?

Last edited:
I might sound like a deranged sadist but what I really sometimes wish for is that you were able to intentionally injure an AI player Roy Keane style and hack them down often enough to send them out on a stretcher (didn't past PES versions have stretchers?). In this particular case I would have liked to kick Junior Moraes of Shakhtar to the hospital – ideally with a season-ending injury. Not only was his generic, stubble-bearded and pointed-sideburns version of a PES face already giving me pause, but the fact that he scored two identical goals from two low-crosses made me lust for his broken bones and pain-distorted face.

It's ironic that Konami's obsession with fairplay (as long as it pertains to us humans, not so much the AI) is causing the exact opposite - but perhaps it's just too bloody hot here in Berlin tonight and I should refrain from playing PES under these conditions.

I might sound like a deranged sadist but what I really sometimes wish for is that you were able to intentionally injure an AI player

A well proven strategy for me since PES 17 (maybe 16)
Every derby Vs Inter,I'm aiming to get Icardi out,and I get it done most times,not on a stretcher but out injured,takes two three tackles,different players of course,since you'll get carded.
But it's my retribution Vs Inter since they always hacks down my players.

@Alx1234 That is what I am hoping as well! Might finally get more games at 2 star in my club!

I think I'll go in with certain set rules :
- starter team only
- ......but even if i just wanted to keep it simple like that.......

.......hmmmm its coming back to me now....the micromanagement element of myclub....like i want to play a game but i can't because i need to clear some scouts.....
....or matching up with high level 1 star teams.....
....then i want to spin more and more for players.

lol. smh. on second thoughts, i may leave it.

We had games like NBA2K, CoD Black Ops 3, and some other stuff for free already in there.
So...don´t know if that really means something.

We had games like NBA2K, CoD Black Ops 3, and some other stuff for free already in there.
So...don´t know if that really means something.
BusinessInsider: NBA 2K + Take Two Sales Slumping
Eurogamer: Black Ops 4* Physical Sales Lowest In Decade

*Yes it's not 3 but there is evidence of a recent sales slide...

I'm not saying it's definitely a poor-sales thing, I don't know. But those two examples (and series) are both starting to slump sales-wise. It's why the latest NBA 2K has resorted to putting FULL, UNSKIPPABLE ADVERTS in the game on loading screens, which I think is an absolute disgrace.

(They make plenty of money regardless, but when you run 2K / Activision, as little as a 10% drop in sales - even if you're making BILLIONS - is totally unacceptable to shareholders.)

I might have a look.
Preview clip looks good:
View attachment 17035
that gif sums it up oh so perfect!!! :TU:

i just can't watch it! well, i could, but i'm not getting any joy out of it.
PAwhatever used. limited set of moves used. no actual football displayed.

na, they should call it "limited-combo-ball-finals" ! ;)

edit: i should give myself the nickname "pachinko" and qualify for the 2020 finals! :LMAO:

On the same note,I watched the WC of NHL 19 a few weeks wirst shit Ive ever seen.
I like watching eSports (especially racing where they gave to drive without assists) but football) hockey,horrible
yeah! racing is a very nice esports genre! there is so much more skill involved!
imagine they allowed auto-braking and auto-steering in GTS finals! :LOL:
remember when guys like Ordoñez played on a console (pretty good) and became a professional driver!?
these PES "professionals" would probably walk around on a real pitch like the defensive AI does in offline ML (on beginner diff.)! :LMAO:

we are going to much off topic here, i guess! :ROLL: sry!!

Last edited:

I'm not saying it's definitely a poor-sales thing, I don't know. But those two examples (and series) are both starting to slump sales-wise. It's why the latest NBA 2K has resorted to putting FULL, UNSKIPPABLE ADVERTS in the game on loading screens, which I think is an absolute disgrace.

I had no clue about this but probably that's why i was able to get nba2k19 for 3usd from the PS store a couple of weeks ago.

I have just played it with a friend for a bit, but didnt noticed the unskippable ad thing since i dont pay much attention to loading screens

*Yes it's not 3 but there is evidence of a recent sales slide...

(They make plenty of money regardless, but when you run 2K / Activision, as little as a 10% drop in sales - even if you're making BILLIONS - is totally unacceptable to shareholders.)
To be honest i am firstly impressed that GTA and NBA2K franchises, end to the same head-boss company! WOW!!! Isn't it greedy enough , to expect high sales for GTA V after so many years out? And while in the same time, they possibly sell much Sharkpoints (whatever their in-game currency is) in microtrans on GTA online mode?

I had no clue about this but probably that's why i was able to get nba2k19 for 3usd from the PS store a couple of weeks ago.

I have just played it with a friend for a bit, but didnt noticed the unskippable ad thing since i dont pay much attention to loading screens
Think its in Mycareer (original The journey) I only play Myleague and I haven't noticed anything

Just subjected myself to another session of this shitfest in order to finish the season as I don't like loose ends.

Won 5 out of 8 games scoring a lot of goals and didn't enjoy any of them. It's just ping pong as quick as you can before you're assaulted by DM's or your player does something absurd. There is an imbalance between the pace of the game (fast) and the reaction speed and responsiveness of the players (slow). It's a mismatch and it shows in every game.

Every goal I scored was a 'finish' and came from a 3 or 4 pass move. Didn't score from a single speculative effort. The answer is always one more pass. Someone thought it was a good idea to banish the most fun part of the game.

Didn't get near a single one of my corners despite varying the deliveries, tactics and players in the box.

AI teammates refused to make either intelligent or obvious runs. Wingers and CM's alike freeze or move backwards instead of moving into obvious spaces. Others ignore the ball completely. Time for a teammate run button like in the other game?

Once again, no context, build up or effort to any of the opposition goals. One minute I'm piling on the pressure then one languid looking flick on from the halfway line and their striker is clean through and scores.

As usual the AI is lethal from kick off and scored at least two goals directly after I did. In fairness this also seems to work in favour of the player as I also managed one or two myself from kick off. This has been in the game a long time but is now more prevalent than ever, why is it considered a good idea?

A thoroughly awful, superficial and boring experience. The grey tiled background on the League screen was fairly calming though

As far as I know, you can avoid this by simply disabling 2KTV in the settings.
The Eurogamer post I linked to there says that they've tried that, and it doesn't take the ads away, nor make them unskippable, in their testing.

Once again, no context, build up or effort to any of the opposition goals. One minute I'm piling on the pressure then one languid looking flick on from the halfway line and their striker is clean through and scores.

Midfield has been a no man's land since years now. It's a deep problem with Pes these days. There is way too much passing from one side to the other of the pitch in a couple of seconds, because CPU completely bypasses midfield with their absurdly precise passes to the attacker. CPU never tries to run with the ball, dribble, create space for themselves in the midfield, they play like the worst kind of Myclub player, first touch passes with maximum assistance until they reach the goal area.

This Pes 2020 gameplay against Superstar difficulty doesn't give much hope either, it seems somehow improved compared to Pes 2019 but even here the goal scored by Barcelona is two passes to reach the penalty area in a couple of second, but that's a counter attack and it makes sense. But then every single offensive play by Barcelona is based on extremely quick first touch passes to reach the goal area, even when there is no need to be in such rush, even when the defense is there and it's definitely not a counter attack, it's like the only way they know how to attack.

The play at 9:20 shows this well. But as i said at least not every pass reaches the attacker and there are several cases where CPU fails to reach the attacker in 2 passes thanks to the new body positioning passing errors. But the pattern is still the same and i think it will become boring if every team plays like this.

The little Messi run on the flank was the only case when they didn't go for their usual quick ultra precise passes attack pattern.

Now, look at the beautiful way Barcelona attacks on Pes 5

Passes to the flank, Ronaldinho trying to be Ronaldinho, lots of horizontal offensive plays. What about the Ronaldinho missed shot at 6:40? Also, why are they advertising chipped shots as a new feature when a 2004 game on Ps2 already had it?

Back
Top Bottom