PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Its not really cheating. Its actually quite sophisticated in Pes19, as it seems much easier than it actually is. If you abuse secondary pressure it will expose your defense anyway. You need to keep an eye on which player will be performing secondary pressure (next player indicator) and choose wisely when to apply it.
There are also moments, where you will have to switch from secondary pressure into pressurising yourself.
Since I discovered this whole mechanism, and started getting better (defensively), it gives me a lot of satisfaction and fun.
AI could be less predictable and force us to improvise more often, but overall it gives a feeling of a realistic tactical defending when you get your head around it.
Glad it worked for you, pal.

Are they dashing by default on secondary press or is it because I keep holding the R1 button? I like the function (opened up another layer) but it would be nice if the controls were a bit more analog.

Are they dashing by default on secondary press or is it because I keep holding the R1 button? I like the function (opened up another layer) but it would be nice if the controls were a bit more analog.
Oh... good question. I never thought about it really... im paying more attention to my player to make sure I have the back covered..
Think they are dashing by default, but I could be wrong. I dont usually hold it for long periods. Little bit of the pressure is usually enough to force them to pass or make a mistake. If I hold it for longer it messes up my team positioning and opens gaps.

any tutorials on this secondary pressure? are the ways to follow AI runners to prevent them going through on goal ?
I havent seen any tutorials. Sort of figured it out as I played. Our defenders are not the sharpest tools in a box, plus AI can have some deadly through passes. At some point I realised that if I dont follow and cover all the AI players myself - no one will. Thats when I started to use it. Went more passive in defending to compensate stupid team mates.
But you have to be careful and make sure you pick right player for secondary pressure. Like I said it can do more harm than good if you choose one of your CB's for instance. I usually pressure them with my midfielders, so shape of my defense is not sacrificed.
Its cool though. Makes defending much more fun and rewarding.

Square. And the player with grey "next player indicator" is the one who will apply the pressure. So keep an eye on which player is to be selected next. If you have this option switched off id suggest to turn it on otherwise you wont know who you will pick
Ps. Hold square. As long as you hold they will pressure.

Edit: as far as i know if you press it twice and hold it, two of your players will apply the pressure. Not sure about three times.
But I never used either. One is enough if you play it wisely.

Last edited:
View attachment 11520 @Chuny have u tried this post patch?
I wonder about your opinion coz you were always saying you want to see and feel the difference in players pace. I honestly feel that after last patch you can go on a full speed with fast players and they are much more agile and make sharper turns. It feels good.

Awww, how thoughtful of you :APPLAUD:

Honestly? I haven't had time to play.
Between work, my girl and the time modding takes out of me, I couldn't play.
Hopefully tomorrow night, I'll be finish an update for my mod and then I'll give it a few games with my old ManCity ML.

Although I was never quite sure if using previous-to-the-update-savegames actually benefit from the gameplay changes. I mean I suppose they do but... 100%?. So I might start a new ML.
I really hope what you're saying is true!

Awww, how thoughtful of you :APPLAUD:

Honestly? I haven't had time to play.
Between work, my girl and the time modding takes out of me, I couldn't play.
Hopefully tomorrow night, I'll be finish an update for my mod and then I'll give it a few games with my old ManCity ML.

Although I was never quite sure if using previous-to-the-update-savegames actually benefit from the gameplay changes. I mean I suppose they do but... 100%?. So I might start a new ML.
I really hope what you're saying is true!
I wasnt sure myself as the first few matches I played I picked different team. So I thought it could be just different players.
But yesterday I played in my old ML save (which should also answer second part of your post) and Im almost sure that I can feel big difference in players pace. Just need to confirm it with someone like yourself, who was always focused on pace aspects of the game.

I wasnt sure myself as the first few matches I played I picked different team. So I thought it could be just different players.
But yesterday I played in my old ML save (which should also answer second part of your post) and Im almost sure that I can feel big difference in players pace. Just need to confirm it with someone like yourself, who was always focused on pace aspects of the game.

Well, yesterday I was watching the ManCity VS Chelsea game, and there were a few moments in which Sterling seemed to be a F1 car racing against tractors.
You can't have that in PES!
In FIFA, yes. But not in PES. Which is absolutely annoying for me!

I was on advanced only because I enjoyed hitting hard low shots to the bottom corners, but I needed more variety in outcomes, which both assisted and advanced don't give me.

Now that headers are working in manual, there's a possibility other animations you see in assisted will show up in manual now. Maybe give it a try again.

Is R2- shooting still virtually impossible on manual or is that too fixed with the DLC/patch?

Thank you to who mentioned having 2nd man Selector on or whatever it is called. This is a game changer defending. Controlling the second man im now losing 1 nil instead of 4 :). It's great now I can track runners

Thank you to who mentioned having 2nd man Selector on or whatever it is called. This is a game changer defending. Controlling the second man im now losing 1 nil instead of 4 :). It's great now I can track runners
I don't understand how you didn't know about it coming from the other game, it's the same there too! Although in PES it's useful, in the other game it's not, because it's been nerfed for online players...

I don't understand how you didn't know about it coming from the other game, it's the same there too!
Its funny how there is a lot of things that people dont know and either are embarrassed to ask, or just never heard of it.
Only a week or two ago, following this thread, I learned that you can also do crosses with R2 and L1. Never heard of it! :LOL:

Its funny how there is a lot of things that people dont know and either are embarrassed to ask, or just never heard of it.
Only a week or two ago, following this thread, I learned that you can also do crosses with R2 and L1. Never heard of it! :LOL:
First thing I do in any new PES is do the training modes, then go into free training and read the command list to see if there's any new mechanics and try them out to see how they work...

To be honest I thought secondary pressure and L1 crosses were some of the more basic mechanics that every seasoned football gamer would be using every match.

Kind of unrelated - sometimes I see videos of supposed "scripting" where people seem to think the CPU just went godmode and was guaranteed to score, when you see the player just wandering out holding A with a centre back and not trying to cover any passes. Then when the CPU plays a few simple passes to get in behind it's all "Look! What a ridiculous ping pong perfect passing goal! No chance I could stop that!".

If people are going to criticise the game like this then they could at least put some effort into learning the controls/mechanics/tactics. Not aimed at anyone in particular but I see this kind of thing pretty often in various gaming communities.

First thing I do in any new PES is do the training modes, then go into free training and read the command list to see if there's any new mechanics and try them out to see how they work...

To be honest I thought secondary pressure and L1 crosses were some of the more basic mechanics that every seasoned football gamer would be using every match.

Kind of unrelated - sometimes I see videos of supposed "scripting" where people seem to think the CPU just went godmode and was guaranteed to score, when you see the player just wandering out holding A with a centre back and not trying to cover any passes. Then when the CPU plays a few simple passes to get in behind it's all "Look! What a ridiculous ping pong perfect passing goal! No chance I could stop that!".

If people are going to criticise the game like this then they could at least put some effort into learning the controls/mechanics/tactics. Not aimed at anyone in particular but I see this kind of thing pretty often in various gaming communities.
Its here to,wish (me included) when screaming how scripted/broken it is,that a video and settings would be included.
Probably how it is nowadays,it's always somebody else's fault?

Guys i don t know how u can enjoy a game where the goalkeeper is always glued to his line and never ever comes out, not even on 1on1s, for me it s taking so much of the realism, especially when it s too easy to control the tempo of the game on top player, and superstar is too much superhuman ai reactions that it doesn t make any sense whatsoever

I don't understand how you didn't know about it coming from the other game, it's the same there too! Although in PES it's useful, in the other game it's not, because it's been nerfed for online players...

Cannot speak for hitman, but I did know about the control but the way its explanation has been translated into German lead (again) to a bit of confusion regarding its function and when you should use it. There it’s more about doubling up on the ball carrier and providing support in specific situations. That you can use it as a general all purpose defensive strategy is nowhere explained and is something you have to figure out yourself (or someone in the know tell you)

It’s like the “Attack Support” thing we spoke about earlier. Konami has a habit of hiding game changing features behind ambiguous explanations.

Edit: game is still scripted like a b*tch, though. Since the update my rage quit tolerance level has radically lowered :)

Last edited:
Guys i don t know how u can enjoy a game where the goalkeeper is always glued to his line and never ever comes out, not even on 1on1s, for me it s taking so much of the realism, especially when it s too easy to control the tempo of the game on top player, and superstar is too much superhuman ai reactions that it doesn t make any sense whatsoever
They patched the glued keepers ages ago, are you on an old pirated version or something?

Last edited:
If people are going to criticise the game like this then they could at least put some effort into learning the controls/mechanics/tactics
Hence Im always trying to stay on the fence.
If there is something that (I suspect) could be fixed/countered/minimised by some user adjustments, Im always trying to defend this game.

On a flip side, if there is something obvious, like no penalties, very few shots from distance, or poor AI player ID, then... what can I say? Yup, these are crap and should be fixed.

But these are all benefits of being member of this forum. When I see people like @Rodchenko for example (sorry pal, first that came to mind), who didnt like this game, but after few adjustments is able to enjoy it, it makes me think that this is what this forum is all about and Im glad we are all here.
Sometimes people come up fixes themselves, sometimes others help, but its all triggered by discussions in here.

I know from my own example - if it wasnt for this forum, I wouldnt be playing Pes19 at this point.

#elitists forever
#we are so much better than them
#light up my cigar

:LOL:

But these are all benefits of being member of this forum. When I see people like @Rodchenko for example (sorry pal, first that came to mind), who didnt like this game, but after few adjustments is able to enjoy it, it makes me think that this is what this forum is all about and Im glad we are all here.

You start to sound a bit like the coach at an AA cycle meeting.

Joke aside, I appreciate your objectivity and constructive attitude. Wasn't always the atmosphere here. Which brings me to the question: whatever happened to Zeemeister, Jimmy-G-Force, and Han? New aliases?

Last edited:
You start to sound a bit like the coach at an AA cycle meeting.
Hahaha!
Coach - no way.
More like one of the poor fuckers on rehab trying to make sense of things and find some positives in overwhelming misery...

- Hi, Im Marty. Im an Elitists..
:LOL:

Ps. Heard a rumour that BAL will be removed next year. Any truth in it? Did anyone from Konami or Konami-linked people said something about it?
That would be another punch in the bollox. There is few people here who play BAL exclusively..

They patched the glued keepers ages ago, are you on an old pirated version or something?
Nop, on latest ps4 version playing champions league offline , keepers glued to their goal with no ability to round the keeper whatsoever,the game is made like this unfortunately, there is no way to round the keeper because he will unrealistically come and catch the ball from btw ur feet, i wish this was pes 2013 with updated graphics...and please stop defending this aspect of the game,it s a big big turn off for me, keepers not diving in one on one waiting until u shoot the ball to dive , with no other outcomes..

I'm sure I've seen keepers come out when 1 on 1 after 1st or 2nd patch. Certainly not like release.. My keeper came out yesterday and gave a pen away

Nop, on latest ps4 version playing champions league offline , keepers glued to their goal with no ability to round the keeper whatsoever,the game is made like this unfortunately, there is no way to round the keeper because he will unrealistically come and catch the ball from btw ur feet, i wish this was pes 2013 with updated graphics...and please stop defending this aspect of the game,it s a big big turn off for me, keepers not diving in one on one waiting until u shoot the ball to dive , with no other outcomes..
Sorry but this is just false.

If anything, rounding the keepers has become too easy since the patch. Double-tap sprint 45 degrees then roll it into the empty net.

(click for HQ)

Did this in training mode just to capture the video, but it's the same as this in matches. It's almost a guaranteed goal if you are clear of the last defender, I've even seen keepers booked/sent off...

Last edited:
Cannot speak for hitman, but I did know about the control but the way its explanation has been translated into German lead (again) to a bit of confusion regarding its function and when you should use it. There it’s more about doubling up on the ball carrier and providing support in specific situations. That you can use it as a general all purpose defensive strategy is nowhere explained and is something you have to figure out yourself (or someone in the know tell you)

It’s like the “Attack Support” thing we spoke about earlier. Konami has a habit of hiding game changing features behind ambiguous explanations.

Edit: game is still scripted like a b*tch, though. Since the update my rage quit tolerance level has radically lowered :)
I was aware of the 2nd man but didn't really know how to use it in defence properly. I have conceded any cheap goals since and dare I say my last game the AI shot from outside the area and it looked to be out of frustration due to me stopping all the through balls. Same in their passing way more errors as I hustled and cut out passing lanes... Now what's this attack support thingy :)

Back
Top Bottom