PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

As far as I remember it works the opposite to what you might think. High player support doesnt mean you will have a lot of support, it means they will stay further away from you to stretch the play. Low support means they will make more runs towards you.
This high/low describes distance between you and your team mates.
So lower, rather than higher, works well with Possession.

Wouldn't suprise me if it was another Konami ambiguity.

I always thought higher would mean more positions/options to pass too. I am playing all the way up, so perhaps this is my problem.

Anyway, it worked twice here, though it was on counter/short pass/center, first one a really nice stick pass (from 1:10),

but it happens too infrequently, most of my triangle passes are ending up with the AI, like they're having a built in radar system. My thinking was that assisted passes might be more scripted to be intercepted, while on PA0 there is a bit more unpredictability.

Ps @Chris Davies
I think being on PA0 is the trick behind controlling long balls n your advantage,since you’re able to hoof it into space instead of to a player if needed/wanted.
Downside is obviously it gets really messy at the back under pressure,being a non “elitist” I’ve given up a fancy play under pressure,or taking a extra touch,just get it up/out/ to the side,if I see some space under pressure,I do what I described earlier

My thinking was that assisted passes might be more scripted to be intercepted, while on PA0 there is a bit more unpredictability.
Definetely.
Problem is - its equally unpredictable for AI as it is for your team mates... :LOL:
A lot of times I have to switch manually and go and get the ball myself otherwise no one is going towards it, haha!
It is annoying at times but I love PA0 regardless. Gives much more than it takes.

Read description for this option. Im fairly sure description with all the arrows explains it. But for ages I was the same. Playing on full whack as I thought - high means high, right? No need to read description... but its Konami... :LOL:

@rockstrongo - tell me more about this close control... i never used it, haha! :LOL:

Wouldn't suprise me if it was another Konami ambiguity.

I always thought higher would mean more positions/options to pass too. I am playing all the way up, so perhaps this is my problem.

Anyway, it worked twice here, though it was on counter/short pass/center, first one a really nice stick pass (from 1:10),

but it happens too infrequently, most of my triangle passes are ending up with the AI, like they're having a built in radar system. My thinking was that assisted passes might be more scripted to be intercepted, while on PA0 there is a bit more unpredictability.
Pa1-3 is more designed to reach a certain snap (somewhere around a players reach) while a PA0 gets the freedom to get it to a free space that your player can then run in to

Definetely.
Problem is - its equally unpredictable for AI as it is for your team mates... :LOL:
A lot of times I have to switch manually and go and get the ball myself otherwise no one is going towards it, haha!
It is annoying at times but I love PA0 regardless. Gives much more than it takes.

Read description for this option. Im fairly sure description with all the arrows explains it. But for ages I was the same. Playing on full whack as I thought - high means high, right? No need to read description... but its Konami... :LOL:

@rockstrongo - tell me more about this close control... i never used it, haha! :LOL:
Me neither,I think it’s the L top bumper,move as you usually does vs the defenders but have LB( or which one it is) pressed in and the have a harder time getting it off you.
I’m gonna give the training ground a visit later on and try more.

When I pressed it by mistake,I was able to cut in to the box without being stripped off the ball.
Think,if used righ(and knowing what to do) it’s useful for real

Yes! I forgor about this one! This player support is a big one as well. If you set it up to high, they will keep bigger distance and wont be getting closer to you to receive the pass.
As far as I remember it works the opposite to what you might think. High player support doesnt mean you will have a lot of support, it means they will stay further away from you to stretch the play. Low support means they will make more runs towards you.
This high/low describes distance between you and your team mates.
So lower, rather than higher, works well with Possession.

I think big part of me getting much more out of Possession settings, is playing on PA0. I cant make long, accurate passes to benefit from Counter Attack on Manual. So counter attack is pointless for me.
Plus playing on Possession doesnt mean you cant have quick counter.
(And other way around. Counter doesnt mean you cant play Possession. But you will have fewer options as team mates wont be as willing to go into spaces on Counter Attack)

This "player support" is really either mistranslated or misdepicted. According to the graphs biggest support produces bigger distance covering, at least that's how i understand it. But maybe it is the exact opposite. The text is also very confusing.

In the older PES versions it was explained much clear, that higher support means your players cover bigger distances to come closer to you for short-passing game.Also in 12/13 ,in player support scale from 1 to 10 ,when you had it set from 4 to 1 it said "defensive" and when you set it over 5,from 6 to 10 it said "offensive". In 5 it was "balanced".

Furthermore deeper in instruction paradoxes, i am not sure about Containment area in defense. I personally want to defend in center, like forming a "straight wall" in front of my Goalpost and letting wings more vulnerable, so i choose "CENTER" as i assume that picking "WIDE", your defense forms a "hypothetical W line", that pushes the opponent attackers to sidelines, leaving center more vulnerable. But until now i am not still sure if it works like this or the exact opposite.

Last edited:
Hi all, new member here.

Could somebody please tell me how you jostle/pull back an opponent when you're both chasing a ball; it's happening to me all the time (online) and I lose the ball everytime - my player doesn't fight back, it's absolutely infuriating!

Also, when I'm dribbling I get thrown off the ball like yesterdays garbage, opponents just skip in front of me to steal the ball, yet my players won't do it when I try.

Can anybody tell me what to press (PS4) to jostle/pull back a player and what to press when opponent is dribbling to get in front of him like they do with me?

Cheers :-)

Hi all, new member here.

Could somebody please tell me how you jostle/pull back an opponent when you're both chasing a ball; it's happening to me all the time (online) and I lose the ball everytime - my player doesn't fight back, it's absolutely infuriating!

Also, when I'm dribbling I get thrown off the ball like yesterdays garbage, opponents just skip in front of me to steal the ball, yet my players won't do it when I try.

Can anybody tell me what to press (PS4) to jostle/pull back a player and what to press when opponent is dribbling to get in front of him like they do with me?

Cheers :-)
I assume you are referring to "super-cancel", moving you player with L stick + R1 + R2 (ps4) or RB+RT (xbox) or Sprint+Special Control button (if you are playing custom controls).

P.S.: Your avatar is Alex Kidd, right?

I personally want to defend in center, like forming a "straight wall" in front of my Goalpost and letting wings more vulnerable, so i choose "CENTER" as i assume that picking "SIDES" your defense forms a "hypothetical W line", that pushes the opponent attackers to sidelines, leaving center more vulnerable
:LOL:
Its a clusterfuck. All the settings and tactics are crucial to have a good experience, yet mature people, playing Pes for 20 years cant get their heads around them, coz Konami cant explain them in plain english.

The way I understand Containment (and it was wrecking my head for ages so I did a bit of research on youtube) is that you choose WHERE you want to contain the opposition.
So if you want to push them towards center, you choose center.
If you want to push them towards wings you choose Wide.
Pes18 had strong center attacks, so I was mostly playing with Wide containment.
Pes19 has those scary wings attacks and laser low crosses, so Im playing center.

Having said that - i might be all wrong... :LOL:

The way I understand Containment (and it was wrecking my head for ages so I did a bit of research on youtube) is that you choose WHERE you want to contain the opposition.
Pes19 has those scary wings attacks and laser low crosses, so Im playing center.
I've always read it as - you pick where you want your defenders to attack the ball. So CENTRE means your defenders latch onto target men and allow crosses, WING means they attack wingers but leave the centre exposed.

So I think I agree with you, but for different reasons (if I wanted to cut out the "scary crosses" I'd pick WING and lock the CBs down to man marking their CFs - with CENTRE I feel like I'd just be allowing them to hit crosses all day long).

You and me both.

But it makes me feel better that I don't think anyone really knows, other than the Japanese developers who implement this stuff and who don't speak English...

One more thing.. Time for me to get some knowledge.
I was playing local rivals last night (crazy game, 3 red cards - one for me, two for COM) and I was trying this L1 early cross thingy. But it was going all over the place on PA0. I couldnt figure out what is it supposed to do.
Whats the idea behind it?
R2 high cross is straight forward. You can see what it does. But I cant crack this L1.

I use this a lot for crosses from the midfield. On assisted it’s supposed to go to the penalty spot from wherever on the pitch you are (obviously PA0 it’s different).

When you have a RW/LW or an offensive FB with the ‘pinpoint crossing’ trait (Lingard or Odriozola as an example) it can be an effective weapon to whip it in from half field to whoever is up front. Scored a good number of goals with it.

But it makes me feel better that I don't think anyone really knows, other than the Japanese developers who implement this stuff and who don't speak English...
I have a habit to read my posts after I post them to correct all the mistakes that I can find.
And Im not messing now - I got confused reading my own post about containment. I dont understand my own thoughts about it... :LOL: :LOL:

I love the bit where you said "I think I agree with you"... :LOL:
I dont even know if I agree with myself, haha!

I assume you are referring to "super-cancel", moving you player with L stick + R1 + R2 (ps4) or RB+RT (xbox) or Sprint+Special Control button (if you are playing custom controls).

P.S.: Your avatar is Alex Kidd, right?
I'll try pressing that then - I'm sure I've tried sprint & special control button on my custom controls before, but it didn't seem to work.

Yes it's Alex Kidd - Miracle World was a class game :-)

When you have a RW/LW or an offensive FB with the ‘pinpoint crossing’ trait (Lingard or Odriozola as an example) it can be an effective weapon to whip it in from half field to whoever is up front. Scored a good number of goals with it.
Oh! So maybe thats where I was getting it all wrong. I was crossing from the usual position - on the wing around penalty area!
I didnt know that EARLY cross means that they will cross into the box from distance!
I thought that early means they will kick it faster, or have some sharper/stronger cross on moments notice...
Jaysus...

:LOL:
Its a clusterfuck. All the settings and tactics are crucial to have a good experience, yet mature people, playing Pes for 20 years cant get their heads around them, coz Konami cant explain them in plain english.

You're correct,that's where you want to get the opposition to be,chose center,and you push their wingers (if they attack there) to the center.
AND IM SURE OF IT! (?)

Just confirmed that lowest support (1 bar) brings your players closer together and should be used when using attack with short passing. Another thing I did wrong all of the time, by having this on max and losing the ball steadily through sideways passes which were intercepted by the AI. Now I can keep the ball even when the COM is on red... Good lord.

In retrospect it’s only logical but I think the confusion comes through the term ‘support range’. You could read it as ‘I am having a high range of support when I put this all the way up (as in *high*)’ - but in fact you have LESS support, because everyone is spread out too much.

Mind-Boggling really. Perhaps someone should tell Adam that one thing to massively improve this game would be to remove the ambiguity in the explanations.

Some elitist shit for you all!
1 close controll(L top bumper and I'm using sprint too) sprint inside the box not recommended

2 keeper coming out
Not as often as wanted,but they do (probably player ID)

Long ball
I'm not under a lot of pressure here,but when I am,and it's easier when I am,it's effective
Just check your radar,and when striker is out on the wing,hoof it up

It's PA0 and TP using advanced Through ball

Oh! So maybe thats where I was getting it all wrong. I was crossing from the usual position - on the wing around penalty area!
I didnt know that EARLY cross means that they will cross into the box from distance!
I thought that early means they will kick it faster, or have some sharper/stronger cross on moments notice...
Jaysus...
Yeah, and you can use it from anywhere on the pitch, even inside your own half! Can be combined with the other crossing controls like R2 for a higher lofted ball, double tap for a low cross etc.

I find the little dinked balls holding L1 and a tap of circle works much better than a chipped through ball in many situations.

You have been missing out not using these in the past :P I think it's been on the same controls as far back as PES3 and has been in FIFA as well since at least 08.

While we’re at it, can some member of the elite explain to me what the freekick settings do (train, dash etc)?

I want to whip an indirect freekick in so that someone can head it. What should I do?

Fair play to all of you using Advanced Through balls. Dont know how many times I tried it and just cant get it to work. Every through ball was a rocket for me. Sometimes even if I tapped it, it was hitting Gods window.
At some point I stopped using through balls alltogether on PA0, but one of the latest patches seems to had tweaked basic through balls on PA0. Im using it frequently now and they rarely go some place else than I want to.

Ps. "Pes19 elit shit" - :LOL: :LOL:

While we’re at it, can some member of the elite explain to me what the freekick settings do (train, dash etc)?

I want to whip an indirect freekick in so that someone can head it. What should I do?
Its similar to corners. I only use dash to be honest. They take few steps back, I kick it into space and they dash towards the ball.
Dash for corners works wonders when its mixed with a bit of super cancel.
I have less luck with free kicks. From distance Id rather go for knuckleshot. Havent scored one yet but ball trajectory is magnificent to watch.

Fair play to all of you using Advanced Through balls. Dont know how many times I tried it and just cant get it to work. Every through ball was a rocket for me. Sometimes even if I tapped it, it was hitting Gods window.
At some point I stopped using through balls alltogether on PA0, but one of the latest patches seems to had tweaked basic through balls on PA0. Im using it frequently now and they rarely go some place else than I want to.

Ps. "Pes19 elit shit" - :LOL: :LOL:
It's elit or beat it :)
Advanced works smoother on TP
I played a ML game yesterday on professional,used 5-10% of the power bar on my through ball,became a rocket.

CD9707D40970CA1F9511D5441ED4927A4A1A0E80

Nice! Hopefully the UK etc. will follow suit at some point...

CD9707D40970CA1F9511D5441ED4927A4A1A0E80

Nice! Hopefully the UK etc. will follow suit at some point...
Although these are good news for gaming quality, it seems too difficult to me, that the companies will not find a law-shortcut as the money from micro-transactions are too much, too easy and without any real cost.

Maybe they will revise them by implementing some special-taxes to come in agreement with "special laws" in the future and bring them back somehow (pesimist).

Fantastic news. I was hoping that to get PES too, not just FIFA. Let's hope for another country to ban microtransactions too. Ridicules is how big companies take advantage of gambling techniques to squeeze out money from kids, fans, players. Not to mention that games such as FIFA and PES are now being built to push their players to microtransactions. Especially in PES 2019 is so obvious that if you do not buy the coins, it always puts you at a disadvantage, like on co-op 99% of the matches playing as a guest if you not playing with my club team or buy coins, apparently helping people who pay by giving them the lead in gameplay on key situations.

Although these are good news for gaming quality, it seems too difficult to me, that the companies will not find a law-shortcut as the money from micro-transactions are too much, too easy and without any real cost.

Maybe they will revise them by implementing some special-taxes to come in agreement with "special laws" in the future and bring them back somehow (pesimist).
For now I think they're happy to comply as long as it's only in a relatively small market like Belgium. Wouldn't surprise me if they did try to come up with some loophole as you say...

In Overwatch in China they sell in-game currency and include the lootboxes for "free" to get around it. Hopefully the laws would allow common sense to prevail in this kind of situation...

Long ball
I'm not under a lot of pressure here,but when I am,and it's easier when I am,it's effective
Just check your radar,and when striker is out on the wing,hoof it up

That long ball at the end... :PINKS::LOVE:

Love it.

Back
Top Bottom