PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I have to say, as much as its time consuming to work shifts, have a child, two dogs and as much of a lazy bollox I am...

Im really tempted to play and record 5x20 mins matches, same matches, same settings, on both Pes17 and Pes19 and then out of this 200mins material to create a compilation of both, dividing it into sections:
- AI goals
- AI dribbling
- shot variety
And maybe some random moments.
Picture paint a 1000 words and Id love to sent clip like that to all the Konami people and delusional fanboys..
Found some clips(Pes 17) on my old twitch page a few days back (hardly stream from there nowadays)
Trust me,my 5 min clips shows more "football" than any of my Pes 19 clips ever done

And u also scrolled down on my YT channel and found almost 2 seasons worth of Pes 17 ML clips,looks so good

VijYeV.gif

tumblr_p2z0qpwymj1uwl6nzo1_500.gif

Yesterday I give PES 2018 ago and Im thinking to sell or trade my PES 2019.

Where can start? PES 18 have better player models (players are more athletic and reconizable on far cam) , better footplanting, better dribbling, better contextual animations, (the ball is much more separate from the player you now?) better animations overall, better shooting on manual, better and louder chants, the pitch is huge and you see more loose ball situations, and better AI.

On PES 2019 players models looks more like chubby little kids on a far cam. The ball is too glued on players foot. You dont see long strides or players reaching for the ball to make a turn. Its like R2 close control is always activated. Too easy to keep possession.
Ball control is too floaty.

To me, PES 2018 delivers a better football experience.

Last edited:
Just hit up 2017's thread and found many posts praising 2015. So its kinda evo-web's two years cycle i guess. :SMUG:
I've never gone backwards on football games, I've always preferred the latest ones but PES 2017 is the exception . Still thoroughly enjoying it and the AI variation shines. The kits and squads are all over the place though.

Is it lie about the AI as a package that PES17>>>PES18>PES19? (CPU AI)

PS: I cant remember a group of players going back to 16 during 2017, so i think it is not nostalgia, it has to do with quality too.
Bang on. There is no nostalgia there. I havent played 17 till few weeks ago, so there is no nostalgia there.
For me AI in 18, when I went back, was like a cold compress for my head, after spending few months with 19.
18 wasnt perfect by any means. There was very little physicality, ping pong passing and it felt arcadish. But AI in compare to 19 was a huge step up.
Then only I got 17 and again - it was a step up from 18. Had all the things 18 was lacking.
I keep saying - on the ball and graphically 19 is very solid and a clear step up, but you simply cant play it long term with this shallow AI.
19 was developed purely for online, sad truth.

I've never gone backwards on football games, I've always preferred the latest ones but PES 2017 is the exception . Still thoroughly enjoying it and the AI variation shines. The kits and squads are all over the place though.
It’s my first time too. :LOVE:
I did all as @Chris Davies said in the tutorial. Had the few hiccups but now it’s all set. Everything is fine. Did not replace the few player as I’m not playing these teams.

Yeah,you should have listened to me a year or so ago on Pes 17.
Hipsters!
To bad they've removed it digitally for me,since both my disc and box looks like WW2.
Need to find a box fresh one.

If you dig deep into the Pes 17 thread, especially when it came out and around the first patches,you'll see some variety in people's opinion on it.
Memory serves me right,it wasn't that well liked when released ,but just like 18 it got better,a lot better

Yesterday I give PES 2018 ago and Im thinking to sell or trade my PES 2019.

Where can start? PES 18 have better player models (players are more athletic and reconizable on far cam) , better footplanting, better dribbling, better contextual animations, (the ball is much more separate from the player you now?) better animations overall, better shooting on manual, better and louder chants, the pitch is huge and you see more loose ball situations, and better AI.

On PES 2019 players models looks more like chubby little kids on a far cam. The ball is too glued on players foot. You dont see long strides or players reaching for the ball to make a turn. Its like R2 close control is always activated. Too easy to keep possession.
Ball control is too floaty.

To me, PES 2018 delivers a better football experience.

Pes 2018 felt too stiff compared to pes 2019. Pes 2019 is in between fifa's "too elastic" and past PES' too stiff.. and you can have more passing shooting trajectory in pes 2019.

Pes 2018 felt too stiff compared to pes 2019. Pes 2019 is in between fifa's "too elastic" and past PES' too stiff.. and you can have more passing shooting trajectory in pes 2019.

Well, after have played PES 18, I notice that the only thing that have changed from PES 19 was that they put more diagonals on passing the ball to choose the target. While on PES 18 what rules the passing targeting its only the power bar but thats it. In PES 19, you cant put the ball on an empty space only using X button.

Its almost impossible to score from a screamer. Well, to me at least. So, indeed the game have more shot variation, or why not say, shot miss variations, but goal scoring is shallow as the past four or five years. Its been like this, this simplistic sling shot shooting system, for years. This is unacceptable. It have to change.

Animations its not authentic as the last year. Its like they mocap the moves themselves, like on 2011 and 2012. Animation wise, the leap was on 2014. It was almost photorealistic.Its difficult to me play a game while Im thinking, "man, professional football players dont move like that." Yeah, some animations are top notch like Pogbas ball trap ie, but overall, the way players turn, shot, jog, run and trap the ball is floaty and unauthentic. So, imho, PES 2018 is like a enhanced PES 2014 wich is good to me.

Last edited:
Not nostalgia?
Let me list some problems with the latest gen's PES game mechanics leading up to 2019:

- goalkeepers
- overpowered headers
- no injuries
- no first touch error
- too many fouls
- only bottom corner goals
- predictable ai attacking pattern
- only top corner shots
- no fouls
- overly accurate passes
- overly accurate shots
- no speed difference between players
- R2 shots ( goal button basically it was so overpowered)
- no ai dribbling
- unresponsive defence
- over the top through balls
- PES 2014 in itself
- no difference between the passing assistance levels

Every game from 2015 to 2018 had all or part of these gamebreakers. 2019 only exhibits the highlighted ones from this list. Undoubtfuly the least flawed PES in this generation yet since you can play decent PvP games at least. Of course im only talking about offline PvP and PvAi and only about the gameplay.

I'm sure many of you will exalt PES 2019, when PES 2021 or 2022 is out.

PES 2019 isn't fun imo. At this point of the year, it's really unlikely that a patch is going to change that. The only way people will praise this this games is if the next few are somehow worse.

I genuinely hope not. I want the game to get better every year but sometimes that isn't the case. Sometimes things go backwards before they go forwards.

Here's to hoping the franchise moves forward in the coming years.

Not nostalgia?
Let me list some problems with the latest gen's PES game mechanics leading up to 2019:

- goalkeepers
- overpowered headers
- no injuries
- no first touch error
- too many fouls
- only bottom corner goals
- predictable ai attacking pattern
- only top corner shots
- no fouls
- overly accurate passes
- overly accurate shots
- no speed difference between players
- R2 shots ( goal button basically it was so overpowered)
- no ai dribbling
- unresponsive defence
- over the top through balls
- PES 2014 in itself
- no difference between the passing assistance levels

Every game from 2015 to 2018 had all or part of these gamebreakers. 2019 only exhibits the highlighted ones from this list. Undoubtfuly the least flawed PES in this generation yet since you can play decent PvP games at least. Of course im only talking about offline PvP and PvAi and only about the gameplay.
Add to the list no long shots from AI and no difference between players when AI controls them, and without going into details - these, plus the highlighted ones are huge issues, making it boring, shallow and very short term. Pes19 will charm you at the start, but forget about playing few ML seasons on it. Its not like in previous versions, where some mechanisms werent working fine, or were overpowered. You can live with that. But AI is soulless in Pes19.

How will you explain that despite all the issues in previous versions, people were still able to play 5+ seasons in ML and still have fun. In Pes19 usually after a season or two you need therapy.. :LOL:

Anyways, another patch coming our way on the 18th. You can let me know how it feels after. ;)

I just don't get this. Yesterday I had a couple decent games with incas patch.

Today, poor games with very biased refereeing decisions (heavy fouls from CPU not being penalised).

Sigh.

Add to the list no long shots from AI and no difference between players when AI controls them, and without going into details - these, plus the highlighted ones are huge issues, making it boring, shallow and very short term. Pes19 will charm you at the start, but forget about playing few ML seasons on it. Its not like in previous versions, where some mechanisms werent working fine, or were overpowered. You can live with that. But AI is soulless in Pes19.

How will you explain that despite all the issues in previous versions, people were still able to play 5+ seasons in ML and still have fun. In Pes19 usually after a season or two you need therapy.. :LOL:

Anyways, another patch coming our way on the 18th. You can let me know how it feels after. ;)

Funny thing is in FIFA17 the AI is the best thing in any footy games (tactical wise at least), i still cant play one game with it, only watch cpu v cpu. Preferences i guess.
On the other hand im not saying the AI in PES 2019 isnt lacking heavy variety but saying the past few PES games were superiour is just plain weird to me. For example i havent seen proper ai dribbling since PES 2013 and proper tactics working since the PS2 era. But other than these when you control the game its pretty much almost the best it could be..only if more variety in shot error would be there.

but saying the past few PES games were superiour is just plain weird to me
Lets be clear here. Im talking only about AI. From purely AI perspective - they are superior. Please play 5 matches on 19 and then go and play 5 matches even on 18 (not to mention 17). If you dont big see the difference in AI behaviour straight away - that will be weird to me.

Again - we all are subjected to our perspective and the way we play the game. Im spending 99% of my time in ML and I play many matches in a row.
From my personal perspective - due to Pes19 AI this game becomes unplayable after a while. Game after game after game - the only difference is in Kits.

It was never perfect, but it was never that bad.

Agree with the rest - on the ball Pes19 feels very good.

I bought this game somewhere mid-October. Have been playing (offline exclusively) on a near daily basis (only paused for two-three weeks when I was playing through RDR2's story). Finished three different league campaigns, played through three ML seasons as well. I still have yet to receive a penalty. It's truly mindboggling but I've just accepted that I will never get a penalty in this game.

Funny thing is in FIFA17 the AI is the best thing in any footy games (tactical wise at least), i still cant play one game with it, only watch cpu v cpu. Preferences i guess.
On the other hand im not saying the AI in PES 2019 isnt lacking heavy variety but saying the past few PES games were superiour is just plain weird to me. For example i havent seen proper ai dribbling since PES 2013 and proper tactics working since the PS2 era. But other than these when you control the game its pretty much almost the best it could be..only if more variety in shot error would be there.
Weird really? Have you seen in 19 something similar to this @rockstrongo video?Even something close one?

I can't excuse that the AI in 19 is of the most one dimensional i have seen. It started from 2018 to be honest but in 19 is more a shortcut . Best proof the SUPERSTAR level being close to unplayable in ML 2018&2019 cause its main function is to distort player stats. So blatantly in 2019, that it can defy its own self. Even the ball physics which is one of the best this year, it is altered so much in higher difficulty levels in COMs favour, that produces a very unrealistic outcome.

Last edited:
I just find that, being a single pes player, Pes 2019 is the worst game play experience in a long time. It feels unfinished, - or very little effort/resources were allocated to this part of the package. Therefore, Pes 2020 will not be on my 'gonna defo get list' as Pes has regularly been in the past.

I have been following some Myclub streamers lately and they all agree that even in Myclub scripting is next level and AI is broken. Even teammates AI is broken, not just opponent AI, with players placing themselves in innatural positions, not reacting to the ball, like they have no AI programmed to take some decisions when the ball reaches them. You see many times players literally unable to move even when the ball is extremely close. Cursor switch not acknowledging there is a player that can reach the ball and switching to a player that is far way. It's a mess.

I am no developer but i don't think they tested AI at all. Maybe they played 1vs1 and that's the way they tested the game, because there is no way they couldn't see how AI in Pes 2019 is probably the worst AI in a Pes game ever.

I am glad that it's not just offline players complaining about AI, but online and Myclub players too. Maybe this will seriously push them to improve it in a big way.

All things considered Pes is in even worse state it was last year. Even Pes basics that more or less worked every year this year starting from AI are broken.
I think we are at a point where it's not just unfulfilled potential ruined by serious flaws, Pes is dangerously close to a completely broken game.

Last edited:
I bought this game somewhere mid-October. Have been playing (offline exclusively) on a near daily basis (only paused for two-three weeks when I was playing through RDR2's story). Finished three different league campaigns, played through three ML seasons as well. I still have yet to receive a penalty. It's truly mindboggling but I've just accepted that I will never get a penalty in this game.

Funny thing, I played 2019 and receive took my first penalty in like 5 years. Had no idea what I was doing lol

I dont know if this affirmative of "one day we will be praising PES 2019" is correct. I never played PES 2012 again and I dont mean to. :LOL:

The difference between going back and praising a game and going "nostalgia" is that in this case (Pes 17) is that it got praised in its lifetime too.
Pes 19,right now?
Is anyone praising that?

My stats
Pes 19 :2 full ML season
Pes 18 :4-5 full seasons
Pes 17 :15 + full seasons.

I never played PES 2012 again and I dont mean
You'd be surprised how much better that game is Vs 14-15-16-18-19.

Going down the nostalgia trip I prefer Pes 12 Vs 13 any day of the week.
Much more weight,less "forward at all costs" that is Pes 13 (like that game to)

For me ,before the first patch ,and after the DLC 4 ,Pes 19 is the worst game since PES 2009.
Not how it looks,but how the AI plays,and not forgetting,no D2s!

Playing online Vs someone,or against a mate,fine.
But Vs the AI?
Fucking horrible

I haven’t even got through half a season on PES 2019.

You can analyse it all you want, you can pick at the bones and give credit to some aspects of the game whilst criticising other parts. But the bottom line is: PES is a really boring football game now. It’s dated and ready for the bin.

And it hurts to say that.

Weird really? Have you seen in 19 something similar to this @rockstrongo video?Even something close one?

I can't excuse that the AI in 19 is of the most one dimensional i have seen. It started from 2018 to be honest but in 19 is more a shortcut . Best proof the SUPERSTAR level being close to unplayable in ML 2018&2019 cause its main function is to distort player stats. So blatantly in 2019, that it can defy its own self. Even the ball physics which is one of the best this year, it is altered so much in higher difficulty levels in COMs favour, that produces a very unrealistic outcome.

The bar of 2019 isnt set so high when it comes to the cpu so that might look just magical to the people. But still nothing compared to 2013 for example.

2019 moved forward by improving the fundamentals while on cpu level it stepped back huge time unfortunately.

But still weird to me that some games everybody craped on a few years ago now are the best thing since sliced bred. Dont get me wrong its cool you find enjoyment in any games just simply dont understand why you guys not pick an older more complete game. Guess PS2 graphics indeed dated.

Back
Top Bottom