PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

VAR can go fuck it self!
We who follow La Liga /Serie A have experience that bs for two seasons now.
Millimeter justice etc,VAR is the snotty snitching kid telling the teacher you've been a bad boy.

It's not always milometer justice though, is it? Too many games have been decided by shocking referees.

It's not perfect, but give it time.

One thing I don't understand is why the referee needs to go to the screen for certain decisions. The VAR officials get to look at it multiple times on the replay, they can just tell the ref to overturn the decision if needed. That would help with some of the crazily long delays.

VAR has also confirmed I have no idea about the handball rule, think I've got every call wrong so far in the Champions League. :D

It's not always milometer justice though, is it? Too many games have been decided by shocking referees.

It's not perfect, but give it time.

One thing I don't understand is why the referee needs to go to the screen for certain decisions. The VAR officials get to look at it multiple times on the replay, they can just tell the ref to overturn the decision if needed. That would help with some of the crazily long delays.

VAR has also confirmed I have no idea about the handball rule, think I've got every call wrong so far in the Champions League. :D
Worst thing I've seen.
One team getting possession (SPAL) in their own penalty box,counters and scores on Fiorentina,ref goes to VAR,finds a very dubious penalty for Fiorentina,Fiorentina scores!
VAR is strictly for the TV audience,if you've ever been to a live game with it,it's bullshit.
Goal line technology, absolutely!
VAR no thanks.
And like you say ,who's in charge ?
When does the ref blow his whistle?
Can the VAR room over ride the decision,can the ref over ride the VAR room?

Use var for punish people/actions afterwards,diving,cheap shots etc

We're going to have to get back on topic here chaps, sorry but I see enough VAR discussion on TV and in every football podcast from the past 12 months. No need for it in the PES 2019 thread. ;)

Yeah PES has really hit rock bottom if we prefer talking about VAR...

Back on topic, I played a few games of 19 post patch and it seemed the same as it was.
I think it would be nice if they gathered all the offline gameplay related feedback and applied some wanted changes at the end of each game life cycle, before the next.
Just to say - "we squeezed all the shit we could from online community. New game is coming out. We dont need to tweak the gameplay to make Pro Players and myClub junkies happy no more. Offline people - game is yours."

Simone Inzaghi would score a very few goals with VAR :)
Half a man half an offside.

On one side refs mistakes are part of the game.
VAR could destroy much of an atmosphere, players will wait with celebration...you could never know if something happened on other side of the pitch, or whatever. It is like a party breaker.

But on other side, with today technology it is silly having a video on a huge screen at the stadium, showing what exactly has happened, while refs decision is wrong...

Anyway I surely would like to see VAR implemented in some way in PES next year (if VAR survive as a it is).

I think the patch has some difference regards AI. Top player difficulty it's now easier and in superstar difficulty ai tends to play and pass the ball more realistically without ping pong passes, but shoots with incredible accuracy as always.

I tried a few matches of the new patch tonight and it feels a bit different to me, but yeah, the cpu play still has those ridiculously scripted goals, so it gets a 0 from me. Such a shame because there's a really great game in there, but it's utterly ruined by whoever programmed the cpu gameplay.

I think the patch has some difference regards AI. Top player difficulty it's now easier and in superstar difficulty ai tends to play and pass the ball more realistically without ping pong passes, but shoots with incredible accuracy as always.

has anyone here unlocked the difficulty level above superstar? could this offer the non-scripted game we're all after?

just a thought

I gave it a go myself.
Manual passes, advanced through balls, basic shooting, 20mins.

2-2 against Reading (bottom of the table)

The goods:
- couple of shots from distance (my shots, obviously) seemed more dangerous. I didnt score, but hit a post and had few lucky saves
- first touch error seems increased, creating tiny bit more randomness.

The bads:
- Me: 15 shots on target, 2 goals. AI: 3 shots, 2 goals (and thats on Professional)
- once they have a first touch ball is still glued to their feet
- defending feels shallow, simplified and boring. But thats not post patch, just in general. After playing Pes17 and Fifa - defending feels like playing International Superstar Soccer
- first goal conceded: laser guided through ball, second goal conceded: low cross + tap in
- still not a smell of AI dribbling
- regardless whether I was winning, losing or match was levelled - AI played exactly the same. No increased pressure or defending or anything like that.
- zero shots from distance by AI
- I had one free kick, and after not playing the game for over a month I scored with my eyes closed. Free kicks are set for 6 year olds with 4 fingers.

Overall - I think Pes19 is beyond repair at this stage. At least not from Konami. As we can see here - it could be made into a very solid game of football, hence people in here can squeeze so much from AI by simple tweaks of code. But Konami doesnt give a flying fuck.
Back to Fifa and Pes17.

Simone Inzaghi would score a very few goals with VAR :)
Half a man half an offside.

On one side refs mistakes are part of the game.
VAR could destroy much of an atmosphere, players will wait with celebration...you could never know if something happened on other side of the pitch, or whatever. It is like a party breaker.

But on other side, with today technology it is silly having a video on a huge screen at the stadium, showing what exactly has happened, while refs decision is wrong...

Anyway I surely would like to see VAR implemented in some way in PES next year (if VAR survive as a it is).

Maybe you mean "Pippo" Inzaghi brother of Simone ?

Tried also two ML matches yesterday in TopPlayer. The initial problems are still there, the CPU AI and the AI goals "story telling". When the match started everything seemed flowing free and smooth. As long as i went 1-0 they equalized to 1-1 after 10 minutes, with laser guided passing until they reached my penalty box, they did not even try anything less safe than a shoot from inside the penalty area. After my 2-1 they went in crazy mode, where after every bounce the ball was magnetized to CPU's feet, i captured a video, where I tackled an opponent with :x: pressed and after i detached the ball from him, the ball went behind my opponent in a 50-50 situation, my defender with :x: and :r1: pressed-again, started retrieving to the defensive line (backwards)! instead of going forward to capture/clear/pass the ball, which ball ended in an other opponent's feet, who by a coincidence lob-passed to their winger, their winger did a low-cross inside the penalty box, my defender who had better position to clear the ball, stopped for a second before kicking!!! and the opposite Striker "clipped" through my defender's body and scored a tap-in. So 2-2, equalized again :P
If you exclude all these above, the game runs smooth and decently!!! :D

PS1: I do not want to imagine what would happen, if i was in SuperSTAR

PS2: @Alx1234 the "LEGEND" level as the game is now, especially the CPU, is only for myClub vsCOM ,weekly RPG-type challenges with valuable prizes. It is not for a Master League season "simulation". I can see it being viable in Master League, only if every player you have is +101 OPR after 10 seasons and you win any other team over 3-0.

PS3: I concluded (personal opinion) that the LEGEND level, has been built only for MyClub players and has not any viability in Master League.

Last edited:
About VAR, Benfica were eliminated from Europa league by an offside goal yesterday, a clear one. Despite they didn´t deserve to win the match, it is still a fact that VAR would actually make justice this time.

On videogames, seriously? I don´t see the point. For now, companies have to worry with far more important things, rather than adding features that they like to advertise as revolutionary in modern games.

Tried also two ML matches yesterday in TopPlayer. The initial problems are still there, the CPU AI and the AI goals "story telling". When the match started everything seemed flowing free and smooth. As long as i went 1-0 they equalised to 1-1 after 10 minutes, with laser guided passing until they reached my penalty box, they did not even try anything less safe than a shoot from inside the penalty area. After my 2-1 they went in crazy mode, where after every bounce the ball was magnetized to CPU's feet, i caprtured a video where a tackled an opponenet with :x: pressed and after i dettached the ball from him and the ball went behind my opponenet in a 50-50 situation, my defender with :x: and :r1: pressed-again, started retrieving to the defensive line (backwards)! instead of going forward to capture/clear/pass the ball, which ball ended in an other opponent's feet, who by a coinsidence lob-passed to their winger, their winger did a low-cross inside the penalty box, my defender who had better position to clear the ball, stopped for a second before kicking!!! and the opposite Striker "clipped" through my defender's body and scored a tap-in. So 2-2, equalised again :P

in the end ,no matter how bad we all of us want to believe & persuade our self’s that the gameplay has been improved after latest DLC or patch Konami comes up with, it seems that...
As Emroth wrote, game is beyond repair at this stage. After all those updates & fixes, it may gives you the "illusion" that you play sthing better & somehow different now, but when you score on cpu, especially in ML the game discloses it's real image & you have the same old staff.Teams start doing what they used to do & cpu controlled teammates behave "awkward".So off line players, we should start "realizing" as many stated the fact that Pes 19 is a nice game when you play vs friends. Playing vs Cpu is poor experience

has anyone here unlocked the difficulty level above superstar? could this offer the non-scripted game we're all after?

just a thought

I did and it's a bit of a wasted oportunity.
When you attack it feels extremely challenging and goals feel quite rewarding which is quite the nice change of pace. Konami being Konami overdid it a bit and the catch-up bug as well as the godlike goalkeeping are just too over the top. With some mild changes to these two things the AI level would be pretty fun IMO.

Defensively on the other handside it's an absolute mess. The AI is ruthless and scores pretty much every chance it gets while you struggle to overcome their keeper. Of course it's mostly the usual BS goals. What's worse though, is that you can pretty much tell when the game want to fuck you over.
All of us know that moment when your player all of a sudden refuses a command, does an utterly stupid things despite a different command or just takes forever to execute a command and you just know what is coming. 'Here we go again', as the AI take the ball and just ping it through to a striker after some quick passes and score, all the while you sit there without any chance of intervening.

Makes it incredibly frustrating, which is a shame as the defensive AI is quite nice, but the cheap AI goals just ruin it. It feels out of your control.

Tried also two ML matches yesterday in TopPlayer. The initial problems are still there, the CPU AI and the AI goals "story telling". When the match started everything seemed flowing free and smooth. As long as i went 1-0 they equalized to 1-1 after 10 minutes, with laser guided passing until they reached my penalty box, they did not even try anything less safe than a shoot from inside the penalty area. After my 2-1 they went in crazy mode, where after every bounce the ball was magnetized to CPU's feet, i captured a video, where I tackled an opponent with :x: pressed and after i detached the ball from him, the ball went behind my opponent in a 50-50 situation, my defender with :x: and :r1: pressed-again, started retrieving to the defensive line (backwards)! instead of going forward to capture/clear/pass the ball, which ball ended in an other opponent's feet, who by a coincidence lob-passed to their winger, their winger did a low-cross inside the penalty box, my defender who had better position to clear the ball, stopped for a second before kicking!!! and the opposite Striker "clipped" through my defender's body and scored a tap-in. So 2-2, equalized again :P

PS1: I do not want to imagine what would happen, if i was in SuperSTAR

PS2: @Alx1234 the "LEGEND" level as the game is now, especially the CPU, is only for myClub vsCOM ,weekly RPG-type challenges with valuable prizes. It is not for a Master League season "simulation". I can see it being viable in Master League, only if every player you have is +101 OPR after 10 seasons and you win any other team over 3-0.

PS3: I concluded (personal opinion) that the LEGEND level, has been built only for MyClub players and has not any viability in Master League.

Legend level is available across all offline modes and it is the only way for me to enjoy this game, as it enforces AI awareness and pressure on midfield while maintaining a certain amount of human error.

It is not a solution to the temporary AI wildstyle, unfortunatly. But to be honest, PES suffered so much more critical bugs in the past year so overall PES2019 is still a winner to me, although so much potential is easily given away.

Last edited:
Legend level is available across all offline modes and it is the only way for me to enjoy this game, as it enforces AI awareness and pressure on midfield while maintaining a certain amount of human error.

It is not a solution to the temporary AI wildstyle, unfortunatly. But to be honest, PES suffered so much more critical bugs in the past year so overall PES2019 is still a winner to me, although so much potential is easily given away.

Yeah knew that, i meant that in myClub is the only place i found it useful and playable, and there only in special circumstances. I have unlocked it since the early days, like last year, i have not tried it in ML, but taking in mind how TopPlayer players and having rejected SuperStar since last year, i cannot see a way to play with it in an old-fashioned ML, starting with the worst team from a 2nd Division (???) or starting with the ML defaults.
Have you ran a ML with a very low-rated team in ML in Legend Level? If yes, i would be glad to inform us how you find the results of your seasons.

Yeah knew that, i meant that in myClub is the only place i found it useful and playable, and there only in special circumstances. I have unlocked it since the early days, like last year, i have not tried it in ML, but taking in mind how TopPlayer players and having rejected SuperStar since last year, i cannot see a way to play with it in an old-fashioned ML, starting with the worst team from a 2nd Division (???) or starting with the ML defaults.
Have you ran a ML with a very low-rated team in ML in Legend Level? If yes, i would be glad to inform us how you find the results of your seasons.

Sorry, i am playing low teams but just in tournaments and league mode. Myclub does not attract my at all and i can't say anything about this mode.

Sorry, i am playing low teams but just in tournaments and league mode. Myclub does not attract my at all and i can't say anything about this mode.
You mean Master League? Cause i did not ask about myClub, i asked about Master League?

If i understand correct you don't play Master League, you play League/Cup mode.

Tried also two ML matches yesterday in TopPlayer. The initial problems are still there, the CPU AI and the AI goals "story telling”.

This.

The core of the problem with PES and, as I said earlier, the legacy of Seabass who wanted every game (not just special ones) to “tell a story”. As long as they do not abandon this philosophy, the game will never change.

just played this game online for the first time in weeks and it feels completely different? what did they do?

maybe i'm going mad but there's a lot more physiccality and unpredictability with the ball, but the game pace and the passing assistance has gone ridiculously overdone

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom