PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Someone on Twitter says NBA2k16 was given away via PS Plus a couple of years ago.
Yup, that's what I remember.

I think a lot of this backlash is to do with how US-centric the anglophone internet is, though.

If it was a baseball, American football, ice hockey, or (indeed) basketball game, I doubt there'd be as much a response. The only connection with football (soccer) that many US gamers will be able to make is FIFA, so they'll be barely aware of PES at all.

Incidentally, PES was a free game several years back on the PS3 at one point, wasn't it?

PA3 and next man indicator on? what are they doing
I hardly think next player indicator is an assistance feature in the way that PA or slide-assist is though.

Worth noting that the next player indicator also shows you which of your players is the second man for a press. Can be important to know that and not be left in the dark, suddenly pulling a player out of position because Konami has determined they're best for the task.

I don't read too much into the comments really
it's not a good game,but then again tons of comments on social media on football/soccer games or even football it self is "not a game" etc.
I'd be disappointed if I were a casual football gamer on ps 4 playing Pes /FIFA.

Oh man, PES just got swapped out for Detroit in the PS+ July games. I was looking forward to trying some full manual online PES matches too. Oh well.

There was a backlash from gamers (sites like NeoGAF, ResetEra etc.) saying that football isn't a game that's enjoyed by everybody, and therefore it represents poor value to PS Plus subscribers who want free games but have no interest in sports. (Also, it didn't get the best reviews.)

This is apparently the first time Sony have done this - and I guess that means there'll be no free sports games on PS Plus in future. If not, it's pretty hypocritical...

That's such a dumb reason. Firstly people complain about PS+ line-ups all the time. Secondly racing games aren't enjoyed by everyone yet we get one this month. Same with any genre really. A football title is like the biggest selling game every year...

I'm not mad or anything, I think Detroit makes this a great month. However I would've preferred if they swapped out that Horizon Chase racing game instead of PES.

Last edited:
I'm not mad or anything, I think Detroit makes this a great month. However I would've preferred if they swapped out that Horizon Chase racing game instead of PES.
I would bet you a substantial amount of money that if they'd replaced the racing game with Detroit, people would be complaining that they didn't get the racing game. There are a lot of gamers who hate yearly sports franchises with a passion, and that racing game is an indie title (those same gamers love indie titles).

Seems like a shame - I mean, it would have boosted online numbers for those who still play 2019 online at the very least (even if only slightly, because I know there's a free myClub version).

A thrilling end to end match with both teams creating plenty of chances. It could have gone either way.

20190701_071327.jpg

A tight gritty 1-1 draw with chances at a premium. Nothing in this one.

20190613_160406.jpg

A thrilling end to end match with both teams creating plenty of chances. It could have gone either way.

View attachment 17134

A tight gritty 1-1 draw with chances at a premium. Nothing in this one.

View attachment 17135
They were a little bit cynical!!!! :P :P Only a little bit! :D

PS: I have hundreds of this type of screenshots. What am i saying always? I must stop paying my Goalkeeper's salary!!!

I ventured into the comments section for the Playstation Blog PSN Plus post, and Jesus Christ, people are just the worst. Not only for the PES bashing, there is plenty of that to go around, but Horizon Chase Turbo gets thrown under the bus as well for no reason, a legitimately great game.
Give me those two over some pretentious 1400th attempt at "robots as humans" game any day.
I will download Detroit BH and it will probably be fine but some people should go eat a d**k

@Matt10 i wanted to fall in love again, so i tried your latest line-"fix" for 2019 last night.
it is really easy to set up (when one follows your account ;) ) and real quick i could see the benefit of the adjustment.

i played Flamengo (CPU) vs. Corinthians (me) and they did drop deeper. i dragged them as far back as i could without loosing the initial position (only CF i dropped to SS). played the first half as you advised and then set them a little higher (MF's on the midfield line not behind it) for second half and i liked i little bit more. as i play with high defensive line (like 5-10 meter behind midfield line max) i liked the latest set up better.

to conclude: yes, my teams shape was better (not that wide streched across the length of the pitch), so it did something good. the AI (even in exhibition mode) i just cant get over! when the CPU scored their first goal top corner i was like: GOSH!!! not again!
they werent lcs'ing all the time but it doesnt felt as good as playing 2017 (these days), imo!

edit:
can't wait for the 2020 demo to drop and try it out. same time i'm calm like not in years. because i dont just have a game (2017) to "fall back to", no, to me its a game i really do enjoy and want to keep playing. so i'm very relaxed right now. maybe i have become old... getting the calm mood of an elderly! :D

Last edited:
@Matt10 i wanted to fall in love again, so i tried your latest line-"fix" for 2019 last night.
it is really easy to set up (when one follows your account ;) ) and real quick i could see the benefit of the adjustment.

i played Flamengo (CPU) vs. Corinthians (me) and they did drop deeper. i dragged them as far back as i could without loosing the initial position (only CF i dropped to SS). played the first half as you advised and then set them a little higher (MF's on the midfield line not behind it) for second half and i liked i little bit more. as i play with high defensive line (like 5-10 meter behind midfield line max) i liked the latest set up better.

to conclude: yes, my teams shape was better (not that wide streched across the length of the pitch), so it did something good. the AI (even in exhibition mode) i just cant get over! when the CPU scored their first goal top corner i was like: GOSH!!! not again!
they werent lcs'ing all the time but it doesnt felt as good as playing 2017 (these days), imo!

edit:
can't wait for the 2020 demo to drop and try it out. same time i'm calm like not in years. because i dont just have a game (2017) to "fall back to", no, to me its a game i really do enjoy and want to keep playing. so i'm very relaxed right now. maybe i have become old... getting the calm mood of an elderly! :D

Thanks for giving them a go, mate. I know, right? It has this sense of teasing you into being a decent game. Then, the type of goals the AI score...it's just...deflating. Rocket to the top corner. Backheel to set up that rocket. Another backheel to set up the previous backheel.

You're left to play with really low-quality teams to hope they aren't as extravagant. That's honestly what had me stop playing. That, and pretty much how passing lanes are nonexistent - which makes forward passes mindless.

There is some good there, but it takes a bit of adjusting, and as always there are way too many factors into achieving what should be a simple game of footy.

Oh man, PES just got swapped out for Detroit in the PS+ July games. I was looking forward to trying some full manual online PES matches too. Oh well.

That's such a dumb reason. Firstly people complain about PS+ line-ups all the time. Secondly racing games aren't enjoyed by everyone yet we get one this month. Same with any genre really. A football title is like the biggest selling game every year...

Screw Sony giving us false game
expectation

It was quite a disappointing for me because I was not willing to pay a Full price for a game thats about to be replaced in a few months, and what make It even worse is that I already got Detroit for less than a month Ago

Shiitt :RANT:

As in, an NBA game pulled? Or given away? NBA2k14 was given away on PS3 I think, not sure about PS4.

EDIT: Someone on Twitter says NBA2k16 was given away via PS Plus a couple of years ago.

Also...

Wow, the feedback to this PS Plus change is pretty embarrassing if you're Konami, holy shit:

DtDZbPD.jpg

There are tons and tons of these comments and they're all the most-liked (so they appear one after another at the top of the page)...

On Facebook:

M7XfJYN.jpg

OUCH!

Thats aboslutely selfish from this community and I am really disgusted with this attitude.

They forced Sony to make the switch with selfish and false arguments

Detroit went on exellent Sales price less than a month Ago. People who were REALLY INTERESTED in getting Detroit could have done that by paying such cheap price.

Pes 2019 on the other, It never got a good price on PSN anywhere as good, and its a game thats about to bê replaced, so It could have a great proce drop already, but we didnt get It.

Detroit was at like 20 reais (thats almost 5 dollars), while pés 2019 remained at 120 reais (close to 40 dollars) and its been at this price for a ling time now

Point is' If You were REALLY INTERESTED in Detroit You could have bought It a few days ago as It was cheap as hell, the same can not bê said for pés 2019 and thats what ridicuosl and selfish attitude from these bastards. Disgusting

"Oh but theres pes lite for Free". Pes lite sucks as myclub is terrible.

Thats aboslutely selfish from this community and I am really disgusted with this attitude.

They forced Sony to make the switch with selfish and false arguments

Detroit went on exellent Sales price less than a month Ago. People who were REALLY INTERESTED in getting Detroit could have done that by paying such cheap price.

Pes 2019 on the other, It never got a good price on PSN anywhere as good, and its a game thats about to bê replaced, so It could have a great proce drop already, but we didnt get It.

Detroit was at like 20 reais (thats almost 5 dollars), while pés 2019 remained at 120 reais (close to 40 dollars) and its been at this price for a ling time now

Point is' If You were REALLY INTERESTED in Detroit You could have bought It a few days ago as It was cheap as hell, the same can not bê said for pés 2019 and thats what ridicuosl and selfish attitude from these bastards. Disgusting

"Oh but theres pes lite for Free". Pes lite sucks as myclub is terrible.
I bought 2019 real cheap by the end of last year! It went down to 10 Euro.

Check psprices.com !!

Check psprices.com !!
Was it worth it in your opinion? At 10€ it was almost a gift but i was and still am so angry with them because of d2 removal i decided to stay strong.

Was it worth it in your opinion? At 10€ it was almost a gift but i was and still am so angry with them because of d2 removal i decided to stay strong.
it was the first time i bought PES digital... the price was too good to not get it. :)
that AI in ML broke my head in the end. so i kept playing 2017. loved the gfx, ball physics and such... but AI attack pattern killed me.

my opinion: dont buy it now! 2020 demo is just around the corner. final release isnt that far away as well.
do you have a copy of 2017?

edit: if i had it on disk, i would give it to you for a Euro (plus shipping costs)!
ps: "give it to you for a dollar/buck" sounds way cooler in my head! :LOL:

Last edited:
It is horrible to play offline, trust me. I would honestly go as far as to say the AI is the worst in any modern PES, particularly after the last patch - every team plays the same way, and it's full-force tiki-taka madness. Vote with your wallet - I won't even buy PES 2020 new, until a few sources I trust tell me it's playable in the ML.

it was the first time i bought PES digital... the price was too good to not get it. :)
that AI in ML broke my head in the end. so i kept playing 2017. loved the gfx, ball physics and such... but AI attack pattern killed me.

my opinion: dont buy it now! 2020 demo is just around the corner. final release isnt that far away as well.

edit: if i had it on disk, i would give it to you for a Euro (plus shipping costs)!
On a serious note - I have it on the disc and i wont be playing it ever again. I can send it on if anyone's interested. Just drop me PM.

I take it man!!
Want to give it to a guy a know from eco-web! :LOL:
Just kidding.

Nice community move, mate!! :APPLAUD:

@Ameppe go get it tiger!!
Having good few older Pes I always thought its nice to "collect" them. But I know that this is one Pes i wont go back to and even cover itself brings back annoying memories. It says a lot about offline quality of this game, especially that I still claim, that on the ball it feels great.
Im too old and grumpy to run around the shops and exchange games for other ones, so cant really see the point of it just sitting there.

Thanks for giving them a go, mate. I know, right? It has this sense of teasing you into being a decent game. Then, the type of goals the AI score...it's just...deflating. Rocket to the top corner. Backheel to set up that rocket. Another backheel to set up the previous backheel.

You're left to play with really low-quality teams to hope they aren't as extravagant. That's honestly what had me stop playing. That, and pretty much how passing lanes are nonexistent - which makes forward passes mindless.

There is some good there, but it takes a bit of adjusting, and as always there are way too many factors into achieving what should be a simple game of footy.

I tried your fix too, but again I gave up. I'm a BAL style player. I played a full season in BAL and one in ML. The AI is just intolerable. They just aren't fun to play with or against. It's unfortunate because, as you said, you can see the potential. But, as an offline player, I rely on the AI for my experience. More so as I only control one player.

It is horrible to play offline, trust me. I would honestly go as far as to say the AI is the worst in any modern PES, particularly after the last patch - every team plays the same way, and it's full-force tiki-taka madness. Vote with your wallet - I won't even buy PES 2020 new, until a few sources I trust tell me it's playable in the ML.

Same. I want to buy it because United are a partner team now, but ultimately I want to know if the experience has improved both on the pitch and off it before I spend any money on it.

By far the worst Ai in a Pes game that i can recall,and the worst part is it looks amazing,plays really good on the ball ,then the horrible one trick pony ai gets the ball and all good is ruined.
I bought it for €12-13 on release ,I wasn't going to buy it,but at that cost I couldn't refuse.
But hey,now I have a shiny box to replace my beat up Pes 17 cover.

Its completely beyond me how there are still people who defend Pes19 AI, argues and claims its challenging, not broken..

I have never seen such linear, shallow, predictable AI in any football game, ever. Pes or other.

Check psprices.com !!

Unfortunetly, my PS4 wasnt at home at the time.

But converting euro to reais, 10 euro isn that cheap here lol.

My point was that Detroit was ridicuoously cheap in the PSN flash Sales in June, Just some fucking weeks ago, so the argument that Detroit was a better choice because it represents a bigger opportunity for everyone to play It is a false and selfish argument. Anyone who were really interested on the game could have bought It already during the last flash sales

I agree with the Guy who said most of these people were probably from US. They think the world begins and ends in the US só they came up with the selfish Idea that a football isnt appealing to a larger audiance

Well, thanks for the answers and this post

definitely convinced me not buy it. I was thinking to buy it or not for 15€ or so physical edition so i could sell it later but at this point i won't. How they managed to make it even worse i don't know.

Pes 2020 really depends on the demo. When i played Pes 2017 demo i enjoyed it, it was good, and indeed i liked the final game. The last Pes i liked.

Disliked Pes 2018 demo, was undecided until the very end, asking Adam on Twitter if they were going to fix the issues with the final game and he genuinely said to me if you don't like the demo don't buy it. But still i bought it because after Pes 2017 i had hope they were going to improve it with the final code. It was a bad game, didn't like it at all.

Now Pes 2019 demo was already horrible with the 5 minutes match limitation, the awful low rated teams playing like Barcelona and scoring the same goals over and over. That plus the news that they removed d2 from Master league meant i was not going to buy it.

Lately i read on Italian pes team forum that the latest patch really improved the AI playstyle. That's why i was undecided.

It is not worth buying a game thats about to be replaced like pes 2019 and, lets be honest here, its not worth paying a Full price for PES given How broken It is during release, and pes 2019's still lacking gameplay updates.

To be honest, its already time for Konami to release PES at a cheaper price and not the standard 60 dollars. Very bad content wise and the game really looks almost like an Indie game with extremely poor menus and presentation.

Last edited:
It is not worth buying a game thats about to be replaced like pes 2019 and, lets be honest here, its not worth paying a Full price for PES given How broken It is during release, and pes 2019's still lacking gameplay updates.

To be honest, its already time for Konami to release PES at a cheaper price and not the standard 60 dollars. Very bad content wise and the game really looks almost like an Indie game with extremely poor menus and presentation.
I don’t know what’s gotten into me around the time I bought it. As I said, it was the first time and surely the last.

Konami goons - if you are reading this......

1. Sony have a reputation they need to maintain.

2. For years, your game to me has been not been on the pitch but off the pitch. PES has been about hope that never delivered.

PES 2013 I upgraded my PC for your game
PES 2016 I got a PS4 for your game and your "preorder contracts only on PS4 Anniversary Edition"
PES 2013 - PES 2017 I bought the game on multiformats to see any differences
PES 2015 + 2016 I grinded MyClub cleared top agents wondering if the game would get better
PES 2015 - 2018 I spent time on forums trying to fight against script and lag cheats.

For Sony to dish out your game for free would be a killer for you. Don't blame Sony ... you should thank them because otherwise everyone would be able to see how your game is based on fake advertising and false hope and has nothing to do with skill.

i started up 2019 last night. wanted to collect all the nonsense they give away for free in MyClub.
i was at 450.000 credits and around 900 coins and collected 30.000 credits and another black ball agent last night. spend some credits on agents, got me Zamorano and Kahn as legends and some other black ball players.
after updating one of my 3 MyClub teams with the newly acquired players, i played that new vsCOM challenge against Barca. won this 2:1... the game speed was so freaking fast. the stutter was noticable and some weird animation clipping did my head in. that mode has potential, like a lot of parts in PES! but come on... masses of free stuff, a team that is OP in about a week or two... and THAT gameplay...!? ^^
i ended this mode with 2 thoughts: gameplay is worse then offline play AND, i want Legends in offline ML!!
maybe make it another seperate mode but please let me collect legends and build a team. and gimme time for that!
i'd be ok if it took me half a year to get my top team together (playing around 10-20 hours a week (rough calculation)).

so after that i gave an exihibtion match at -1 another try. played better, more tactical... went to overtime and the AI hit me hard and direct... top corner for sure. before that the match was ok, even when AI behaviour flaws shine through. i turned off the console and went to bed.

final word on that: i wish i could use legends in some kind of offline mode!
i still have so much imagination left in my old brain, i just need a game thats a joy to play and i can combine with these stories in my head! :D

have a good weekend yall! :BYE:

Back
Top Bottom