PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

After more than 10 matches on my TP ML with Santa Clara, i concluded.

This game has a big YES (especially vs pes2020) : the ball control and movement response in relation to physics. If it was without physics, 2018 beats it easy hands down, but since it does not have physics, while 2019 has, i will give it to 2019.

But it still has a big NO. The CPU AI maybe is more various than the beggining, but in cruicial moments, it is still 2 ways to attack. Either low cross from the side and tap-in, or direct through pass to the space, where the opponent CF moves diagonally to the ball, while your D-Line is collapsing back, holding strictly their positions and leaving a huge gap for the opponent team.

So for me it is still playable, but it is 55%-45% in the comparison 2019 vs 2020. Both games have flaws that can break your nerves in ML.

By now i will just play more 2019 , cause 2020 is bugged since the last update editing-wise and cause i want to unlock the PS trophy for winning a domestic League.

Last edited:
Haven't been able to play a ML properly since Pes 17,tried 18 but it doesn't do it for me,with no physicality,19 Ai being one dimensional,20 a mix of both plus unresponsive and a hundred different stuff screwimg that up.

League mode on 18 ok,19 very good,20 horrible.
So it's either ML on 17 or league mode on 19 for me.

Haven't been able to play a ML properly since Pes 17,tried 18 but it doesn't do it for me,with no physicality,19 Ai being one dimensional,20 a mix of both plus unresponsive and a hundred different stuff screwimg that up.

League mode on 18 ok,19 very good,20 horrible.
So it's either ML on 17 or league mode on 19 for me.

Dont you find it incredible that pes 2020 feels so rigid compared to pes 18 and 19 lite versions? How is that even possible? Was absolutely everything sacrificed for better pitches and the stadium cam...

Dont you find it incredible that pes 2020 feels so rigid compared to pes 18 and 19 lite versions? How is that even possible? Was absolutely everything sacrificed for better pitches and the stadium cam...
Can't speak for the lite versions,but both 18+19 full versions feel more alive/lose than 20 for sure.
Collision system is so bad in 20 Vs older games

Can't speak for the lite versions,but both 18+19 full versions feel more alive/lose than 20 for sure.
Collision system is so bad in 20 Vs older games

Playing even pes 18 lite after pes 2020 vanilla (which is a serviceable game) is like being let out prison. The AI plays football, different teams have different tactics, and you can dribble! YOU CAN DRIBBLE!!

What a wrong turn pes 2020 turned out to be...

I inform you that
I decided freely, that
I wanted to see how 2019 played after some time, so
I installed it again and will start in a few minutes.

You, my friend, ain’t got nothing to do with that. ;)

:LOL:

Edit: could it be... the refs aren’t a strong point of 2019?!
Players feel a bit lighter.

Last edited:
Progreesed my save with Santa Clara till early February. I really developed a bond towards this team and i also like the Liga NOS watermark. One good thing about replays, is that you can discover new Leagues that you don't have the chance to play in ,when you are doing your main runs.

So until now, i had all kind of matches. The Script off match, the tough games against Porto, Benfica, Sporting CP. I won all Porto and Sporting with comeback, from 0-1, ended 2-1 and drawed to Benfica. Benfica match was on 3rd of January. In this period also started the wicked period, which start every January and ends by the end of February. My team plays in mud, despite the high 80s TS, nothing good happens, CPU is too cynical. I lost to Fereirense in a pseudo-dramatci match. FYI Fereirense was the last team of the League table, despite this with world class one touch backheels, they took an easy 0-3 early lead. I achieved to equalise in 3-3 in the 80', but their last one touch low cross+tap in resulted in a world class 3-4. Their RWF Fabio Sturgeon with 75 OFF awareness and 66 finishing, acted like a prime Ronaldo9 and scored two unstopable goals.

At general i still see that when things get tough, CPU tends to much to rely on pass a low cross inside the penalty box for a tap-in. They are so derdicated sometimes to pass a low cross, that they prefer to spam it then shoot straight in an empty goal post for an easy goal.

It does not happen as often as it used to happen in the early days of PES2019, but it still happens in an intensive way. It is funny cause it looks like a loop glitch in the Matrix from time to time. As the CPu tries to play their game, the animation is presented like they getting possesed by an evil spirit, that makes their body to stutter, in order to force them to a proper position, so a well presented animation will be followed by the side low cross.

I do not know where to post it, so i place it here as i play 2019 now. But i feel it really exists in every PES , at least since PES 3 that i remember this happening. It is a fundamental of PES.

Does anybody else feels that after a corner kick that was cleared by header, but the ball is parried and being landing slowly still in PK area, while you run diagonally with you controlled player, that afte you control the ball, you must make a pass to "reset or reload the momentum" ?

I do not know how to explain it more clear, it is like if you achieve a shot for example, while the shots are mediocre usually, in this moment i said above, it is 3/10 a super duper knuckle and 7/10 and anti-climatic shoot , that the GK blocks easily standing, not even needs to jump.

Last edited:
I do not know where to post it, so i place it here as i play 2019 now. But i feel it really exists in every PES , at least since PES 3 that i remember this happening. It is a fundamental of PES.

Does anybody else feels that after a corner kick that was cleared by header, but the ball is parried and being landing slowly still in PK area, while you run diagonally with you controlled player, that afte you control the ball, you must make a pass to "reset or reload the momentum" ?

I do not know how to explain it more clear, it is like if you achieve a shot for example, while the shots are mediocre usually, in this moment i said above, it is 3/10 a super duper knuckle and 7/10 and anti-climatic shoot , that the referee blocks easily standing, not even needs to jump.
I think very few surprising things happens on corners in Pes.
Defending a corner always ends up to the CPU
Balls bouncing out of the box for a CPU shot goes wide/saved 999/1000.

Though I think Pes 18 has more things happening than modern ones

I think very few surprising things happens on corners in Pes.
Defending a corner always ends up to the CPU
Balls bouncing out of the box for a CPU shot goes wide/saved 999/1000.

Though I think Pes 18 has more things happening than modern ones

The penalty box scrambles in general in 2018 were varied and unpredictable and one of my favourite features of that game. In 2020, there are basically no genuine scrambles for the ball - you can tell because all your guys are already sprinting back towards defensive positions even though the ball is still "loose" in the box. The ball is not genuinely loose in these situations, the game has already decided the cpu is going to get the ball so the AI model has already made your guys start the retreat. Even the one guy you are supposed to be controlling is unable to move properly because of blatant hampering of control that is rife in that game. And the cpu will, with monotonous regularity, finish off the move by drilling a 100% accurate low pass to a striker standing around the halfway line, always in acres of space because your defenders are programmed not to mark him, even if you give them the explicit "Mark" instruction. Repeat...repeat...repeat....

The penalty box scrambles in general in 2018 were varied and unpredictable and one of my favourite features of that game. In 2020, there are basically no genuine scrambles for the ball - you can tell because all your guys are already sprinting back towards defensive positions even though the ball is still "loose" in the box. The ball is not genuinely loose in these situations, the game has already decided the cpu is going to get the ball so the AI model has already made your guys start the retreat. Even the one guy you are supposed to be controlling is unable to move properly because of blatant hampering of control that is rife in that game. And the cpu will, with monotonous regularity, finish off the move by drilling a 100% accurate low pass to a striker standing around the halfway line, always in acres of space because your defenders are programmed not to mark him, even if you give them the explicit "Mark" instruction. Repeat...repeat...repeat....
Sums it up perfectly!

Haven't played this game for 5-6 days,in fact been off the Xbox in general doing other stuff.
So had Fiorentina away with my SPAL (league mode) and got hammered properly,3-0 down after 17 minutes...
Didn't feel cheated either,and game ended 4-2 them.
The CPU can play some good football at times,and was a good wake up for me to stick to position and don't bite on their 1-2s
Got 3 games left of my league mode this season and I've enjoyed it

Haven't played this game for 5-6 days,in fact been off the Xbox in general doing other stuff.
So had Fiorentina away with my SPAL (league mode) and got hammered properly,3-0 down after 17 minutes...
Didn't feel cheated either,and game ended 4-2 them.
The CPU can play some good football at times,and was a good wake up for me to stick to position and don't bite on their 1-2s
Got 3 games left of my league mode this season and I've enjoyed it
True there, the AI in this, is very very dangerous or cynical some times. Coming in with the defensive approach of pes2020 for example, costed me 3 quick goals, cause they strike like cobra.
They won't spear you with the shitty bad first touch, or the missed easy control.

Also setting the cursor change to assisted from semi-assist, as recommended for 2020, does not work here, as the auto switch tends to displace your defenders a lot. So back to semi-auto switching here.

PES 2019, more compact area between defenders and midfield
In PES 2020 sometimes not playable, too big area is unmarked which makes it impossible for your team to win the ball back when the AI defenders pass the ball to one another

True there, the AI in this, is very very dangerous or cynical some times. Coming in with the defensive approach of pes2020 for example, costed me 3 quick goals, cause they strike like cobra.
They won't spear you with the shitty bad first touch, or the missed easy control.
Had suprise comeback Vs Milan away,was 2-0 down and managed to win 3-2 after going full attack the last 20 minutes of the game
Very rewarding when tactics work,Milan played Def and me all out attack with gegenpress

I reinstalled PES 2019 today.
I played some matches and the first thing i noticed is how beautiful the lighting and the grass look! Every stadium has its own different lighting, pitch color and shading, you can smell the grass! In PES 2020 all these replaced from a bland and boring totally fake grass and very mediocre lighting.
All stadiums are the same. Why did this downgrade happen?
Also in PES19 the ball behaves in a more realistic way, maybe because it look somewhat dipped into the grass whereas in PES 2020 is like floating.

My biggest gripes about PES 19 compared to 20 are
- The long shots lack zip and power
- Manual headers are way too nerfed
- I like PES 20 error in passes (especially in difficult angles) and shooting
- PES 2020 has better physicality, i like these little fights with jostling and pushing

I can't choose which is better, but im upset with the visual downgrade of PES 20. Why this happened?
Is there any mod that fix it?

Just comparing my league mode experience on 19 Vs 20 (ML is pretty much unplayable for me on both,more 20 than 19 though)

Cheating/bad coding/strange behaviour from CPU (and your players) is pretty much non existing Vs 20.

Close control dribbling/normal dribbling/ball physics Vs 20 is night and day,clear winner for 19.

Physics/tackles/free kick is a slam dunk win for 19.
When you see players bounce off each other like two beach balls colliding,or your player being pulled back by an invisible cord when shoulder barged,then 20 needs to be put down to sleep.

I can't play 20,it's horrible,the only thing it has over 19 is Serie B and Juventus licensed.
The rest is pure garbage.
But, ML is pretty bad (cheating/one way CPU )
Then again,so are 20

Just comparing my league mode experience on 19 Vs 20 (ML is pretty much unplayable for me on both,more 20 than 19 though)

Cheating/bad coding/strange behaviour from CPU (and your players) is pretty much non existing Vs 20.

Close control dribbling/normal dribbling/ball physics Vs 20 is night and day,clear winner for 19.

Physics/tackles/free kick is a slam dunk win for 19.
When you see players bounce off each other like two beach balls colliding,or your player being pulled back by an invisible cord when shoulder barged,then 20 needs to be put down to sleep.

I can't play 20,it's horrible,the only thing it has over 19 is Serie B and Juventus licensed.

PES 20 has better shooting (variable power and trajectories), and better manual headers....its the only reason i can decide between them.
Also i think that after the latest update, PES 20 became more random with nice feel of freedom

PES 20 has better shooting (variable power and trajectories), and better manual headers....its the only reason i can decide between them.
Also i think that after the latest update, PES 20 became more random with nice feel of freedom
Agree on both things,my heading has Improved by using sprint button more to meet the crosses,but 20 is better for sure

Applied some major edits and some transfer updates, improved some player stats to their 2020 status, like Ferran Torres and restared my ML, TP challenge mode, 10 minutes with Santa Clara Liga NOS.
in the previous save i was 3rd in the league.

In this save, i did the same transfers, same TS, same formations/settings. The only different setting i did, was manager nationality which i set to Andora instead of Greek that i use usually for my manager avatar. I did it on purpose to check the NT offers i will get next August.

So i am not sure if the Manager NT has any relation to how TS works, although i have a theory that there is a Manager Affinity/Adaptabity like in MyClub, but just is hidden in ML. So maybe choosing one of main NTs that have NT team, gives you a default Adaptability and when you peak Nationality that does not match to a NT team, like Andora, San Marino, etc, you get the lowest possible Affinity, maybe 0%.

FYI the maximum Manager Affinity in My Club is 120%!

I can't find other reason to explain what happens to my this new save, this time every team is lethal against me, every Tondelas and Boavista of Portugal smashes me easily and every Bruno Silva and Diogo Ferreira of the Portuguese Peninsula, scores a hat-trick against me.

I am 17th, one before last in the NOS Liga, and i run a 2W-1D-6L, without having played the Portuguese top 3 still. Owner trust in at 9% and it seems that for the 2nd time in my ML adventures in PES 2019, i will be sacked by December. I had also the worst run in my current history, 8 straight defeats, ICC and cup matches included.

I can't really explain what, happens, every now and then i go to settings and check if the difficulty was bumped up by accident. It is still TOP Players, but it plays too differently, basically my team plays ultra nefred, my wingers go always second to recieve a pass, or they are hidding begind defenders, or they stop running in the middle of a crucial run to go one-on-one with the keeper.

The only good point is, it is gone much time since the last time i felt threated of loosing the manager job. It is an intensive challenge. Althought the handicap seems to snowball me..

Is it the 10 min games?

I play on 20,and I find it a bit more relaxed,lethal CPU at times,but less frantic than 10 min (at least to me)

Nevertheless,sounds tough man.
I'm doing pretty good in my league mode with SPAL,in 7th place after 33 games,mainly because I played 7-8 games in coach mode (CPU v CPU) and I always win games doing that,which is weird,I can beat (and have done it) Juventus doing coach mode

Is it the 10 min games?

I play on 20,and I find it a bit more relaxed,lethal CPU at times,but less frantic than 10 min (at least to me)

Nevertheless,sounds tough man.
I'm doing pretty good in my league mode with SPAL,in 7th place after 33 games,mainly because I played 7-8 games in coach mode (CPU v CPU) and I always win games doing that,which is weird,I can beat (and have done it) Juventus doing coach mode
Yes it is 10-min. I tried 15-min before, but combined with PA1, the pace was still fast enough, we were 2-2 in 25'.

Basically to express it better, as i was playing 10min games before, it is now like the CPU smells i am close to firing and the attacking me in a scriptfest. The same season, same squad, same league, same settings, in my pervious save was playing much much differently.

Been playing 3hours straight exhibition matches in PES 2019, using endo's color correction V 0.3 reshade.
These graphics are OUTSTANDING! I can't go back to PES 20.
The grass feels so alive and the ball rolls and bounces so naturally!

I noticed that all these "new features" and animations PES 20 introduced, like jostling and pseudo-physicality, made the game more cumbersome and more buggy. Physicality is just a dozen of animations which are triggered in certain situations, BUT because they are pre-canned and do not adapt to physics, many times lead to unatural outcome.

PES 19 ball look a bit more "glued" to players feet, but makes the game flow better, players can turn and dribble more easily, sliding much less.

Also, PES 19 has more simple collision and jostling system, which works just fine, is functional.
Oh! and i LOVE the feel of weight of the ball, you can feel every kick.

I can conclude that the more things/features KONAMI adds, the more difficult is to implement them correctly. So PES 2019, being a more simple version of PES 20, is much better, in terms of playability.

I would like a little more error to passing, and more zip to shooting though, (as i mentioned in a previous post) just like in PES 20, but still its fine.

I don't think that gameplay mods will fix shooting, because most of the times the fix one thing but unfortunately ruin something else.

Applied some major edits and some transfer updates, improved some player stats to their 2020 status, like Ferran Torres and restared my ML, TP challenge mode, 10 minutes with Santa Clara Liga NOS.
in the previous save i was 3rd in the league.

In this save, i did the same transfers, same TS, same formations/settings. The only different setting i did, was manager nationality which i set to Andora instead of Greek that i use usually for my manager avatar. I did it on purpose to check the NT offers i will get next August.

So i am not sure if the Manager NT has any relation to how TS works, although i have a theory that there is a Manager Affinity/Adaptabity like in MyClub, but just is hidden in ML. So maybe choosing one of main NTs that have NT team, gives you a default Adaptability and when you peak Nationality that does not match to a NT team, like Andora, San Marino, etc, you get the lowest possible Affinity, maybe 0%.

FYI the maximum Manager Affinity in My Club is 120%!

I can't find other reason to explain what happens to my this new save, this time every team is lethal against me, every Tondelas and Boavista of Portugal smashes me easily and every Bruno Silva and Diogo Ferreira of the Portuguese Peninsula, scores a hat-trick against me.

I am 17th, one before last in the NOS Liga, and i run a 2W-1D-6L, without having played the Portuguese top 3 still. Owner trust in at 9% and it seems that for the 2nd time in my ML adventures in PES 2019, i will be sacked by December. I had also the worst run in my current history, 8 straight defeats, ICC and cup matches included.

I can't really explain what, happens, every now and then i go to settings and check if the difficulty was bumped up by accident. It is still TOP Players, but it plays too differently, basically my team plays ultra nefred, my wingers go always second to recieve a pass, or they are hidding begind defenders, or they stop running in the middle of a crucial run to go one-on-one with the keeper.

The only good point is, it is gone much time since the last time i felt threated of loosing the manager job. It is an intensive challenge. Althought the handicap seems to snowball me..

You know, this is something I more or less experienced many times in Pes history- a bit like you did with the momentum corner you described days ago.

I remember many years ago a Pes 5 ML in which I started with defaults and three players and I was doing a phenomenal run.
Then I had to start again as I didn't realized I put myself in the wrong D2- same three players, same teams in D2, but everything sucked to no end, I experienced an absurd no win/losing streak totally opposite to my first run.

And many other times in Pes history I had radically different experiences comparing a ML to another.
I've always wondered if there is some hidden, random algorythm that decides how tough your "story" should be or if it's just all placebo!

Back
Top Bottom