eFootball (All Platforms)

i really like it, seems konami have some serious plans to do things from scratch. for me a good sign and i prefer the word football more than soccer.
good step in the european direction,.

Feels like get divorced after a decade with a marriage i hate and we are just together for the kids... if the game is nailed, e football could be my new love :P

That „E“ reminded me of the Euro (currency) sign instantly. I hope this is not a bad sign! ^^
Delicious MTX, here we come!
tenor.gif

i really like it, seems konami have some serious plans to do things from scratch. for me a good sign and i prefer the word football more than soccer.

Feels like get divorced after a decade with a marriage i hate and we are just together for the kids... if the game is nailed, e football could be my new love :P
Yeah, agree about the Football thing, it was another aspect that PES was being mocked for. But the whole E(sports) thing? Ugh.

we all certainly hope so, it s all about what and how they can make the movement of the players and their responsiveness, and the darn foul physics, because i keep getting barged in the penalty area with no foul given.,....it is not acceptable

Winning Eleven - best name ever.
Absolutely, they should have rebrand it to Winning Eleven, if only they stuck to their roots...
Imagine PES6 game with the same menu system, features, mechanics, only with a modern day look that holds up for the next years, that's the ultimate PES for me

I'm not as worried about the lack of E3 overall as I think they want to get the most traction possible out of the Euro license as they got nothing last year. If they go with any PES 2022 stuff before the Euros then that really takes away from it.

I think Konami probably go overboard with marketing PES lite and the Euros all in one during the next month. Then maybe after the tournament we start seeing something.

As much as Konami have been poor over the years, there's no way they took a year PLUS off from making a new game and didn't at least try something completely different. Hopefully it's a more finished than PES 2014 was (which to me had the makings of a great game but felt completely undercooked).

The name should have never been changed from Winning Eleven to PES in the first place.

Agreed. The brand would've been much stronger globally if they'd stuck to the one name. Winning Eleven is quite cheesy but effective, and it circumvents the whole football/soccer thing. While we're at it, let's not get too het up about that, fellow Brits, as it was called 'soccer' A LOT here until the 80s!

My view is: so what if the name's not PES; the game's not PES either...

Agreed. The brand would've been much stronger globally if they'd stuck to the one name. Winning Eleven is quite cheesy but effective, and it circumvents the whole football/soccer thing. While we're at it, let's not get too het up about that, fellow Brits, as it was called 'soccer' A LOT here until the 80s!

My view is: so what if the name's not PES; the game's not PES either...
This is always interesting to me. My mom is from London but I grew up in the Caribbean. Being in the Americas we ONLY got "Winning Eleven"

Hasn't it always been Pro Evo in the UK since the switch from ISS?

To be honest i've never genuinely seen Pro Evolution Soccer as that good of a name for the series, it's iconic for sure, which is enough for me to love it a lot, and the abbreviation PES is dope and sounds good, but the name is indeed very try hard, having both the "Pro" and the "Evolution" words on it. Also it calls the sports "Soccer" instead of Football, which makes sense since PEF wouldn't sound too good, but still...

Winning Eleven is the perfect name, it's the original name of the series, which has been used in Japan since the original PS1 game in 1995, it avoids calling the sport either Soccer or Football, which makes it a perfect worldwide name, and it's just as iconic, if not more, than Pro Evolution Soccer, also the abbreviation is WE, which can be easily used for marketing, similar to how Inter Milan is doing with the whole "I'M".

E-FOOTBALL, though? Like, it does make sense from a marketing perspective, having a professional name is usually good and you don't get more official sounding than FIFA, which is the main competitor, the only way to beat them at that would be to make a game called Football, but that's also too generic, E-FOOTBALL is instantly recognizable, so it's not too generic, and it's sounds just as official as FIFA, also it comes before FIFA when sorting things by alphabetical order.

Still, i'd love to keep the PES name instead of switching to that tbh, it's much more iconic, if they were to change i'd love Winning Eleven tho, it'd be perfect, but E-FOOTBALL? It's a sad representation of the direction that the series is seeking, also if that leak is true then that logo is freaking terrible to me for some reason, something about it feels off.
Yeah I completely agree, The series has had a history of long winded convoluted names which break every rule when it comes to marketing and semantics. The Japanese have always had a fascination of stitching together words and phrases that sound exciting or epic to them but sound ridiculous to native English speakers.

But you're right, It's time Konami used a name that made more of a statement that this game is a football game in some capacity. Even girls who don't watch football know what FIFA is because it's so entrench in modern popular culture but if you asked them, "What kind of game do you think PES is" with no hint or context they probably wouldn't be able to tell you.

And yes for the record, That leaked logo is ridiculously lame and cheesy. The eFootball logo in PES 2021 looks fine, modern and classy. What's with horrible sprayed "classified" aesthetic they're going for, As if this game is a top secret weapon and they're edgy for daring to publish a FIFA competitor?

Yeah I completely agree, The series has had a history of long winded convoluted names which break every rule when it comes to marketing and semantics. The Japanese have always had a fascination of stitching together words and phrases that sound exciting or epic to them but sound ridiculous to native English speakers.

But you're right, It's time Konami used a name that made more of a statement that this game is a football game in some capacity. Even girls who don't watch football know what FIFA is because it's so entrench in modern popular culture but if you asked them, "What kind of game do you think PES is" with no hint or context they probably wouldn't be able to tell you.

And yes for the record, That leaked logo is ridiculously lame and cheesy. The eFootball logo in PES 2021 looks fine, modern and classy. What's with horrible sprayed "classified" aesthetic they're going for, As if this game is a top secret weapon and they're edgy for daring to publish a FIFA competitor?
Agreed.

Sometimes we gotta move with the times. I've been playing PES since 2004 I'm VERY nostalgic about the game and series in general but from a marketing perspective E-football vs FIFA just sounds far better and makes more sense.

Now, I think the real problem is the worry about where it's heading as we've seen the game we loved stripped for parts with micro transactions as the main focus. So E football just feels like a further commitment to that. We'll see where it heads but still patient for PES 2022. A lot of the series rides on this.

People are so disillusioned with FIFA at the moment PES 2022 will get A LOT more hype than the average PES game and this may be the best chance they've had at capturing any serious piece of the FIFA market.

This is always interesting to me. My mom is from London but I grew up in the Caribbean. Being in the Americas we ONLY got "Winning Eleven"

Hasn't it always been Pro Evo in the UK since the switch from ISS?
After ISS we had ISS pro evolution 1 & 2 if i remember correctly then pro evo 1,2 ect. Nice videos on YT mate thanks for spreading the love.

After ISS we had ISS pro evolution 1 & 2 if i remember correctly then pro evo 1,2 ect. Nice videos on YT mate thanks for spreading the love.
Thanks a ton man! Yeah I always heard too that in the Americas we got a better game than the European version. I've always heard that Winning Eleven 8 was better than PES 4. Winning Eleven 8 was my first game. Used to be so active on Neoseeker and Pesfan too back in the day.

I always wondered if the changed it from the PES5/WE9, PES6/WE10 convention because it would have ended up resulting in "Winning Eleven Eleven" which sounds ridiculous, though I guess it wouldn't be intended to be read in English anyway so who knows... Can understand them changing from numbers to years though.

I always wondered if the changed it from the PES5/WE9, PES6/WE10 convention because it would have ended up resulting in "Winning Eleven Eleven" which sounds ridiculous, though I guess it wouldn't be intended to be read in English anyway so who knows... Can understand them changing from numbers to years though.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008[1] (PES 2008, known as World Soccer: Winning Eleven 2008 in Asia, sometimes called World Soccer: Winning Eleven 11 (PS2), only in North America)

The same "ridiculous" would sound e-Football Pro Evolution Soccer...oh wait!!!!!! :BRMM:

About the change from numbers to ages, the most sensible reason i have read, is that by the old number system they were as 1 number behind FIFA ,IE FIFA 06 = PES 5, FIFA 07 = PES6. So they changed to years fro marketing purposes, to brand as "equals"
.... On the other hand they could go with the WE count, so FIFA 06 = WE 9 and market it as, we are 3 years forward in the future!!! :P :P

Jokes aside, i am going with the marketing reasons, as 2008 was the year, that thanks to ADSL internet spreading and social media big-bang, the next gen consoles PS3/Xbox360 coming with prerendered online gaming possibilities. They started having those marketing objectives, as they got more serious into the market competition. That explains the UEFA CL deal the next year and the more accurate rosters (6 months outdated , in contrast to 1 year outdated in previous PESes). It was the year that they started coming in "touch" with the west consumers base. Until then, their only touch were some e-maills and postal letters, i assume.

It was their turning point, for bad or good...

Last edited:
My favorite names for comming 2022 version:

1. FootballSoccer
  2. Pro evolution e-tron
  3. Non Fifa license game
  4. e-MyFutClub
  5. Pink Unicorn Manga with a little bit of Football
No, I'm joking. It doesn't matter which name the product himself have, the important thing is with which gamneplay (AI, Physics, no scripts), modes like ML, little bit graphics, licenses (non exclusive) it will have. And so on.

But yea, it will not happen... or yes Konami? 🙄🤞

KONAMI's names to its football soccer games over the years by region.

Europe / rest of the world JAPAN / Asia

International Super Star Soccer --------------------------------------------- Winning Eleven
Pro Evolution Soccer --------------------------------------------------------- Winning Eleven
PES ----------------------------------------------------------------------------Winning Eleven
Efootball PES -----------------------------------------------------------------Winning Eleven
Efootball ?---------------------------------------------------------------------Winning Eleven ?

There is only one good name for next-gen PES:

Winning Eleven 2022.

That said, I realize that most fans aren't that old and the name probably doesn't mean anything to them. So it's safer to stick to eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2022, which is one giant mess of a name compared to something like "FIFA".

That said, I realize that most fans aren't that old and the name probably doesn't mean anything to them.
They could still make them know about the name.

I mean, marketing guys are paid to make us believe things that more often than not aren't real, couldn't they come up with a tagline like "Back to our roots" (maybe also using some footage of the old games) to introduce the rebrand? It would then be obvious also to the newest fans that Winning Eleven was the original name of the franchise.

Come on Konami, get creative! It could work if you wanted!

They could still make them know about the name.

I mean, marketing guys are paid to make us believe things that more often than not aren't real, couldn't they come up with a tagline like "Back to our roots" (maybe also using some footage of the old games) to introduce the rebrand? It would then be obvious also to the newest fans that Winning Eleven was the original name of the franchise.

Come on Konami, get creative! It could work if you wanted!
That’s a totally new slogan I’ve never heard before.

PES 2022 - it could work, if we wanted!

So honest, so real, so sad...

The fact that they are trying to have a very close relationship with their exclusive clubs is something we already heard from Konami, i seem to remember Adam Bhatti talked about that, but it didn't really bring anything of value outside Barcelona, i mean.

Considering they annouced Napoli as their exclusive license for Pes 2023 i at least expect Maradona Stadium to be ingame.

the joy of playing with your 100% authentic club (one of what, 10?) against a bunch of random, non-licensed bullcrap.

scrap the license stuff altogether & invest that surely not small sum into a fantastic football game.

But you can edit every team in Pes, so that's a non issue really. Problem is, if the exclusive license doesn't bring stadiums then it's useless.

Back
Top Bottom