PES 5 Discussion

Professor Nutmeg

ML Fanatic
3 July 2002
Master League
It might be a bit early, but we all have our views and expectations regarding the next installment of the Pro Evo series.

Nokami have stated that they can't really surpass the visual side of the game until the next generation consoles appear. We can tell it's getting far too busy and crowded. However, i know that they could easily tweak a lot of non-cosmetic elemnets of the game, eg the Master League structure, general editing (squads, transfers, kits etc). I wouldn't mind at least one more licensed league (2 would be better, but i'm trying to be realistic).

I wonder whether Munich's new home, the Allianz Arena, will make it in to the game, seeing as they move there this summer. The place looks huge. :shock:

munchen_allianz2.jpg

munchen_allianz1.jpg

-

They should focusing on improving the Master League, tweaking some gameplay aspects, mainly on kicks, and no more shoots with the knee, I seem to score great goals from 30+ meters with the knee all the time!
They should license every team.
Editing should be improving, on the aspect of kits.
just my 2 cents! ;)

Licenses should be full, more grounds/stadiums, more cup/leagues and perhaps focus on online improvements rather than master league which tbh, bores me.

Set-piece design. Edit some direct/indirect free kicks in training and assign a set piece using, say, :l2: , and :square: , :x: , :triangle: or :circle:

Players with bad balance maybe lose it while trying to keep up / turn with a skillful winger?

Riots? :)

More realistic shooting animations would be nice.
If you look at the animations for shooting in PES4 they are really poor. You should be able to shoot the ball cleanly facing 90 degrees to the goal wthout falling over.

Good point. The penalty action capture is complete pish also. The guy leaves the ground like he's in a hurdle race on 2 of the animations.

I don't care much about stadiums, but since I drive past the Allianz Arena every day, I'd really like to see it in the game. It's a beautiful stadium. :)

The big improvements should be bringing more atmosphere to the game with better presentation, sound, in-game graphics and statistics. I'm not sure if they're going to throw the current game mechanics completely overboard by adding full analogue movement to the game. If they do, the game will work and feel completely different to how it does now, it may even require realtime calulation of body movements and collision. It may depend on the layout of the controller if they have to take this big step.

You see, i'm not bothered about online play. For me, it's not what the game is about. It doesn't do anything for me. I would rather the game itself be improved, with animations, techniques, atmos and all that. Totally agree with the PK animation. It's been rubbish for ages. Although they did manage a better default FK animation in PES4.

Some more licenses
Striped shirts in the editor
NO stutter or slow down
Improved commentary and crowd chants
A manual that tells how to do the tricks ;)
Replays should be allowed even after the ball has gone out

I'm positive striped shirts will be back. They appear in WE8LE. I think they realised the error of their ways. :roll:
Hopefully no feature will take a step backwards in PES5, like when they see fit to omit a perfectly good feature eg free players (speed bar, anyone?) or static keepers during long shots.

That Allianz Arena looks beautiful - altho as it's in Munich it won't be mistaken for a water ring.:D

The thing that gets me is the tackling and the swapping of players, I seem to make 3 - 4 tackles and still don't get the ball whereas the com will make 1 and get it straight away (is this just me?) also the com seems to get to more of the loose balls than I do ( again just me??).

With the swapping of players I'd like it MANUAL!!! Even on full manual if the ball goes more than a foot off the ground it reselects a player!! Also It'd be nice to see the NEAREST player selected when chasing the ball.

So many times I have to press select 2 - 3 times to get the player that is blatantly closest to the ball.

This is the most annoying thing for me. The cosmetic stuff isn't too much of an issue, for me it's all about the gameplay. Although being a Saints fan I would like to see vertical (and horizontal for Celtic) stripes back, slightly annoying that you can't change them.

That's because the AI does on occassion cheat it's ass off! While it provides a challenge, it's precisely the reason I want to see them implement online play better, online play is so much tougher, but fairer. PES5 will be at least their third (possibly even fourth if WE9 arrives first) attempt at online play, so I hope they have learned some lessons.

Master League, well a few versions ago I had given up on it but I am playing it again with WE8LE. What I really cannot understand is they have these licensed leagues, and they don't use them in the ML? They have enough teams from each nation to create a more realistic feel to the game yet they limit us to 4 leagues of 16 teams and then force the Division 2 sides' promotion to go into your league, screwing up any chance you had of 'keeping it real'.

A real nit-picky point here but I feel it's worth mentioning - fire whoever is doing the menu desgins because they are terrible. I don't know if they look ok to a Japanese-reading player but the alpha character set looks so out of place, it's big and ugly. Something a bit cleaner and smaller would suit better.

Stadiums would be nice, it's always cool when they put new ones in and you find they play well (eg Delle Alpi in WE7).

And of course, the regular slew of gameplay enhancements would also be appreciated. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, and for once i want to see a pacey forward actually break away from a slow defender, with no chance of catching him. Please! no more olympic sprinting defenders (particularly when their speed/accleration stats are in the low 60s)

I wouldnt mind a carrer mode for the leberto grande style. I'd love it if you went into a team as a youngster and worked your way into the team and became a star player with the world at your feet get bought by Real, play for your country get dropped if your crap. it may never happen but i really wish Konami would creat something like this or make a new game. also add a career mode in the master league where you can move clubs and stuff :)

Professor Nutmeg said:
Oh yeah, and for once i want to see a pacey forward actually break away from a slow defender, with no chance of catching him. Please! no more olympic sprinting defenders (particularly when their speed/accleration stats are in the low 60s)

Same with balance a defender with 99 balance can get muscled off the ball by a striker with 70 and half his size.

Also I'm glad it's not just me that get's annoyed by the com cheating.

There are times when the com doesn't cheat and still beats me which I don't mind one bit.

I actually applaud the com beating me when it doesn't cheat. I love seeing them whip in quality crosses and both defender and striker jumping for the ball instead of my defender being rooted to the spot!

Yeah, cheating has been present for a while in the series. I remember a while back, there people here who didn't believe the com/AI cheated.

I had a classic the other day, during a free kick against me. They whipped the ball in towards the area, from the left, and my keeper just took off towards the opposite (right) corner flag, as if he'd just seen Godzilla. A bit of a penalty area scramble and "WTF is he doing?" later, the com managed to score a winner. The keeper eventually ran back towards the goal and had the cheek to do a half-arsed dive. This was more a bug i imagine, but both hilarious and frustrating in equal measures.

Last edited:
Player-specific animations would be nice. Specific animations in terms of shooting, dribbling etc. for the players who have a truely unique style of movement like Zidane, Henry, and Ronaldinho. Having about 5 different generic styles of player animation - along with the ones for unique players - would give an impression of variety among the players, and generally give the game more personality, so they don't all move like mindless, identical drones.

Proper domestic leagues should be incorporated into the Master League, or even better, do away with Master League completely and have full club seasons, with domestic and european competitions included, along with the development/declining and training feature. Ofcourse, more licenses, stadiums, and editing features would be good as well.

A greater variety of individual abilities should be included that are actually effective, unlike the naff step-overs. Ofcourse there shouldn't be a cheap trick that you can run through a whole team with, but just more individual skill to give the allow the player to feel like they are actually being creative with their dribbling, instead of just over-using the old R2 sidestep time and again.

The ability to control the height of shots would be good. Instead of the power bar determining the height and strength of the shot, it should only determine the strength. Maybe holding away from the goal could determine the height of the shot. Basically, I want to perform daisy-cutters at my own volition, and not have them occur randomly like in PES4.

I know this a stretch, due to the limits of the PS2, but I'd really like it if the CPU could emulate the style and tactics of the "big" teams. For example, Arsenal would always try to play along the floor, and rely on Henry to create for them. This would allow players to emulate real life tactics in order to stop the big guns, like double-teaming Henry or Ronaldinho when you play Arsenal, or trying to get in behind AC Milan's fullbacks (their only weak spot). In short, give each of the big CPU teams more personality instead of having them play so generically.

Lastly, I'd love it if they only allowed skillful players to pass with the outside of the boot. This really annoys me on PES4, seeing the likes of Sol Campbell and Roy Keane spraying the ball about with the outside of their boots. It just looks rubbish. Also, slowing the game down by about 10% would be nice.

Last edited:
PES5 well lets see......... there are the ones that most ppl want...

*more licenses it really should be fully licensed by now
*better stucture to ML and the custom cups more options
*a proper pen system
*better commentry (scap that they never get it right)
*better atmospher proper crowd chants ect...
*at least 1 scottish stadium and where is the Bernabeu or Stade de France too many english stadia.

on the subject of online play for PES5 i would like them to have a option to play ranked or unranked matches unlike on the xbox which is always a ranked match.

I want:

snow,diving,better penalties,classic players out of ML,the ability to ole (nutmeg) the opposition,stadiums for each team,at the start i dont want to press the x button twice to start the game,players who can volley,rabonnas easier to do, ML players stats should change, retiered players out of national teams, afc bournmouth,more boots,women,better commentary,crowd noises and blood.

More animations.
A sort of career mode where you can change clubs if you want (or can be forced to quit and play with a lesser team if you don't reach your targets).
A more realistic transfer system, i.e. that tiny clubs like Real Madrid can buy big Belgian stars ...oops.... you know what i mean...that clubs like Club Brugge can't buy Ronaldo.
A tweaked ML. Fully editable (you choose how many leagues there will be , 4, 6,..., if there will be play-offs at the ende of the season between top division 2 clubs and bottom division 1 clubs,...).
Realistic playing styles for CPU teams (Arsenal: technical, Chelsea rather defensive and counter attacking, ...).
More logic in player and team form: if a team is on a winning streak they are harder to play, if a team is on a loosing streak they are easier to play, a player who has scored a hat-trick will always have a red arrow up and GK who made a huge mistake will have an arrow down,...
Snow (not very important, but i would like it).
Will somebody fianlly change the grass texture of the Cuito I Don't Know What stadium...if i have to play a team in that one i always loose..i can hardly see the ball (yes my eyes i know).
More stadiums
More teams (don't care if their licensed).
Hoops.

But despite this list i think the game is already fantastic (wanted to finish on a positive note).

I know which stadium you mean gerd. It is hard to see the ball.
I think essentially i would like gameplay to be improved. Perhaps one day i'll feel the need not to buy rubbish players (ie handicap myself) in order to find a challenge.

You can select the stadiums for each team, I have called that one'DO NOT USE' and as a result never use it ;).

I think people get too caught up in graphical (sp) enhancements, I wouldnt care if the graphics were blocky as fuck but it played perfectly. It doesn't matter that Beckhams latest hair-do isn't follicle perfect!

It's all about the gameplay! Get that right and you're onto a winner. Overall it's an excellent game it's just a few touches that let it down/make it frustrating.

Another thing I thought of last night was throw ins, please Konami make it like it was in pes2&3 where you control the reciever and not the thrower. The amount of times I've lost possesion to the new gay throw in and conceeded a goal is unreal.

Different Leagues/teams should have a noticeably different style of playing.

Playing an all Premiership match should feel significantly faster paced than a Serie A game for instance.

Already WE8/PES4 went some way to changing the way teams played if they were ahead or behind (bringing on or removing an attacker etc..) so this needs to be combined with the above.

Db

If your team is losing, you can select a mini game where you are a member of the crowd and you can aim Flares at the oppositions Goalkeepers head to stop the game?

Now that would be realistic!

just a few things that i havent seen mentioned here yet:

I wish they would give us the power to curl the ball, like in iss 64.

and in the kit options, where you select long sleeves etc, you can choose whether the player has his shirt tucked into his shorts or not, like essien or andy reid, completley pointless but fuck it i would like it.

Licensed cups and competitions could be interesting.

Some great ideas so far, one that always crops up in these things seems to be a revamped, realistic Master League but you wonder if it will ever happen (remember how long it took to get manual replays?).

Gerd that pitch (real name Bloemfontein Rugby), I hate it too but I give it to a couple of smaller clubs as it makes it very hard to go to their ground and get a result, meaning I usually have a small team or two which are always capable of providing an upset.

db, that would be fantastic but I think I would rather see them develop AI which can play without resorting to cheating first, last night I swear to god my players were doing the old 'lead in their boots' routine (they have the animation to run fast but they are literally at walking pace until the AI player is nearer to the ball, then the game 'releases' your player).

Back
Top Bottom