PES 5 Discussion

I think the game will be released soon. First it was 28.10 then it was 21.10 and today it's out on the internet, so we're getting close ;)

Professor Nutmeg said:
Castello will be in PES5. Only some of the "older" default ML players have gone eg Kelsen, Vorlander, Barota, Daric, Cellini

Do you think they had a testimonial for Cellini?

I heard they did. In the Oita stadium.

So there are a few people out there with a copy of the game. What i would like to know if possible: are you able to load badges, flags, logos from your PES4 Option File? In PES4 you could load your flags from your PES3 file i think. So seeing as PES4 introduced logos etc, i wonder if they are now transferable.
Also, can you open a PES5 option file in the PESfan editor on your PC?

Anyone able/care to help?

:)

H-Hey! got the game! played a few games last night... and it "feels" better than WE9. It seemed to be quicker, and the ball seems to move a little faster. It is however easier to score. I was playing Barca vs Chelsea on WE9 and it was always 1-0, 1-2, 0-0, etc... but then on PE5, same teams, first game barca 4 chelsea 0, second barca 3 chelsea 1 then barca 5 chelsea 1. I think this is because they have made the dribbling slightly easier, (I just give the ball to Ronaldhino and RUN!!). I don't know whether it is because we have got used to the new "every challenge is a freekick" system or whether the game has been tweaked, but it does seem like there are less fouls, or more advantage played - but there are still TOOOOO many times where you just wish the stupid ref would have played advantage. Ref's are still WAY too lenient - professional fouls seem to have been taken out of the game for some reason (as was the case in WE9)

I didn't notice ANY slow downs playing on wide mode, but then again I only noticed it on very few occaisions on WE9. There is still no crowd in the stands during normal play.

Haven't noticed any new skills yet, but it is early days.

Will post more when I played it a bit more.

Thug said:
H-Hey! got the game! played a few games last night... and it "feels" better than WE9. It seemed to be quicker, and the ball seems to move a little faster. It is however easier to score. I was playing Barca vs Chelsea on WE9 and it was always 1-0, 1-2, 0-0, etc... but then on PE5, same teams, first game barca 4 chelsea 0, second barca 3 chelsea 1 then barca 5 chelsea 1. I think this is because they have made the dribbling slightly easier, (I just give the ball to Ronaldhino and RUN!!). I don't know whether it is because we have got used to the new "every challenge is a freekick" system or whether the game has been tweaked, but it does seem like there are less fouls, or more advantage played - but there are still TOOOOO many times where you just wish the stupid ref would have played advantage. Ref's are still WAY too lenient - professional fouls seem to have been taken out of the game for some reason (as was the case in WE9)

I didn't notice ANY slow downs playing on wide mode, but then again I only noticed it on very few occaisions on WE9. There is still no crowd in the stands during normal play.

Haven't noticed any new skills yet, but it is early days.

Will post more when I played it a bit more.

How did you get hold of PES 5 then if it's not out for another 3 weeks ???

Thug said:
It is however easier to score. I was playing Barca vs Chelsea on WE9 and it was always 1-0, 1-2, 0-0, etc... but then on PE5, same teams, first game barca 4 chelsea 0, second barca 3 chelsea 1 then barca 5 chelsea 1. I think this is because they have made the dribbling slightly easier, (I just give the ball to Ronaldhino and RUN!!).

Or perhaps because you have Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Giuly, Deco......

Professor Nutmeg said:
So there are a few people out there with a copy of the game. What i would like to know if possible: are you able to load badges, flags, logos from your PES4 Option File? In PES4 you could load your flags from your PES3 file i think. So seeing as PES4 introduced logos etc, i wonder if they are now transferable.
Also, can you open a PES5 option file in the PESfan editor on your PC?

Anyone able/care to help?

:)

1) Yes.

2) No.

Kinda difficult as I haven't played PE4 for such a long time!

But comparitavely to WE8LE:

Graphics: Better. More animation in players, you should see how they go to ground now - nice. No crowds in the stands while in open play - I think this is to prevent slow down ( I used to to turn off the crowds in WE8LE anyway - so it is better this way because atleast you can still HEAR them even if you can't see them).

Sound: Seems much the same to me

Gameplay:

1. Goalkeepers - Not as good, but more realistic. They can pull off some incredible saves, but other times will let a piledriver go past them about a foot away. Sometimes you can score, and the keeper will be rooted to the spot. You can beat them at the near post more readily too, (I think this enhances the game as give you more options, you don't HAVE to shoot at the far post every time).
I get the feeling that the keeper can be off-sighted, and makes it easier to score through a ruckus of players (if you don't hit a player that is).
A VERY, VERY annoying this is that they have made them rediculously quick. This only becomes apparent when you try to take the ball around them. I had samuel Eto'o round the keeper, only for the keeper to turn, run, bend over, and PICK UP the ball (I mean, not even DIVE onto it - PICK IT UP!!!!) before Eto'o (ETO'O!!!) could reach it even though he was running in THAT direction. Stupid if you ask me. This has happened on quite a few occaisions. Don't remember it from WE8LE.
A nice ?new? thing is (as it is in we9) that sometimes you can round the keeper, the keeper misjudges, and takes the strikers legs. Red card, penalty. Beautiful. I can't EVER remember the keeper being sent off (in the box) in WE8LE.
Also, the keeper can throw the ball to the half-way line now. Lovely. However, you do have to be careful, sometimes, you want to launch it to one of your wingers with a throw, but he ends up rolling it out. Happened to me in a league we were doing, cost me the league as Rooney robbed my defender... the rest is history.
I have noticed however, that the keeper can sometimes freeze to buttons. I mean, You can be pressing buttons to make him kick or throw it, but he just stands there. Luckily, (i think this is a new thing since WE8LE) the new feature where the keeper auto-kicks it after a few seconds sorts that out. I like this new auto-kick feature. My brother used to cheat by letting time tick away while the keeper held it in his arms. Bastard.

Defence: You'll have to re-learn defending. Period.
Gone are the days where you hold X and wait for Stam or Nesta to rob the opposition forward. No sir. Not anymore. Do that if you want to give away a freekick every 10 seconds. Now you have to anticipate the runners direction, or poredict where the pass is going, and step in between. The timing of the X-button press is now crucial to winning the ball fairly. This may seem like an improvement, and certainly to some levels it is. However, although the idea is good, "make defending a challenge, and hence more rewarding" but it has been poorly implemented. I say this because you aren't really "punished" for poorly timed tackles. In fact, it is advantagous to hold X and let your defender foul. This is because you NEVER get booked. Let me put a scenario to you. Shevchenko is running side by side with your defender. Your never gonna catch him. In the old game you had 2 options. Either you let him go and pray your keeper saves it, or you bring him down, and get sent off. These were your only options because you knew if you tried an "x" tackle, you'd bounce off, and he'd race clear with more time to choose a shot. Not any more, Nope. Now you just push X, therbeby fouling him. And you don't have to worry, bcause even if you fall, and he carries on clear, the absolutely USELESS advantage system will stop play 90% of the time. So, punished for the foul. No sir. No red card for a professional foul, hell not even a yellow. NOW, you've got 10 plyers between him and the goal. A nice big wall and a freekick system that makes it quite difficult to score. Yep, now a freekick outside the area is nolonger a 70% chance of scoring if you've got a decent freekick taker. More like 10% now.
This whole new tackling system has ruined the game from that perspective. The only thing it has done, is make the game stop-start. Oh yeah, you also give away penalties for breathing on a striker now. My advice - NEVER push X in the area. You are MUCH safer doing a slide tackle - but the best thing to do is to get between the striker and goal, and BLOCK.

Midfield: Not much changed here really. A few tweaks, but all in all it's the same game. I do think it is slightly more difficult to make a good lofted hrough ball, Goal keepers also seem to be more alert to the danger of a through ball. Headers are also more animated, and you can give fouls for pushing and tussling in the air (nice touch). But the main gist stays the same. There is a new thing where you can hold the x for longer, and your player will pass it to a player who is NOT the closest to you in that direction - improves the game.
One thing I have noticed is that control has been messed up a little. Far too often the player will knock the ball too far infront on recieving the ball and lose possession. Also, control of the players seems to dissapear on occaision, when they decided to sprint with the ball straight out of play, even the you are pressing the d-pad in the opposite direction and are not holding the L1 button at all. There are a lot more stray passes, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. It just means you have to be more carefull when passing rather than push x and be fairly confident it will end up with a team member. You seem to get less time on the ball, and turning and passing, hell - everything just seems longer to perform. (This has been improved in PE5 over WE9). I get the feeling the turning arc of the players is much bigger too,

Attack: Again, with the new defene sytem, you do have to change the style of play a little. You can nolonger just run "thorugh" players if you have a forward with high pace and power ratings (eg shevchenko) because they are now fouled and no advantage is played instead of defenders bouncing off them. So now, you do have to pass or rely on very good dribbling skills, or just plain old luck and hope the ref plays advantage.
Shooting looks great. High powered shots that goalkeeprs can save. However, I do find the shooting sysem a little inconsistent. I mean, you can load a shot to the same place in the power meter, and on occaisions he will HAMMER it, and on others, the ball will trickle from his feet. Whether this is just me, or the game, I'm not sure.
Also, the R2 system has changed a little. Admittedly, I never really mastered this in the first place, and my timing is still way off. I think, if you hit the R2 before you release the shot, then your player will side-foot a measured shot - can be a beautiful curled shot into the corner - looks very good. If you hit R2 just as your player is making contact with the ball on shooting, he will hit the ball very hard. Now, somewhere in the timing ( i don't know exactly when) hiting R2 also does a new fake shot. I've been runnning with Angel of Villa, tried to hit a piledriver (obviously mistimed) and he faked a shot, causing the defender and keeper to commit, and then hit a shot into the far corner of the net. Absolutely beautiful. Very good, the new system, but my only complaint is that two very different actions can result from mistiming very slightly. The diffference between a curled shot and a piledriver is VERY obvious, and can be quite annoying when while you are trying to hit the ball HARD from 30 yrds, a millisecond mistiming a=can result in a tame, curled shot from 30 yrds that just rolls wide.
There are some new skills too. There is a drag back which I LOVE. You're running with the ball, you stop, hold R2, and as the defender comes to make a challenge, you push the d-pad in the direction opposite which you are facing, and he drages the ball back, leavs the defender standing, and off he goes. Absolutely beautiful. Also holding r1 and r2 and tapping l1 three times knocks the ball round once side of the defender, and you run round the other to get the ball. VERY difficult to do, but feels great when you pull it off.
Chipping has been changed too. Harder to score in my opinion, but I'm not used to the system yet - more practice before I can make a true judgement on this.

Conclusion:

As always - there have been improvements over the previous installments of the game. There are aspects that have been changed that you initially wish hadn't been touched, but as always, you get used to them, and realise wit time that the change is for the good.

The game is vastly improved over the previous installment in my opinion, and from what I have seen so far, PE5 has improved on some of the niggles that I saw in WE9. I haven't played it much yet, so whether I keep that opinion is yet to be seen.

I hope this is helpful.

Professor Nutmeg said:
Or perhaps because you have Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Giuly, Deco......

I had them in WE9 too....

I also had Saviola in WE9, but not in PE5. Trust me, it's easier to score in PE5.

Thug, what about the new licenses?
And the kits? Old or new?
Is "Serie A" updated with Ascoli and Treviso?
Finally, is there the missing crowd like in WE9?

Thank you a lot, sorry if too mani questions...

Interesting observations Thug. I never press :x: in the area. Perhaps my defending methods are different to others, but i always just try to get my man goalside of the attacker and generally block his path. This often forces the computer to look for an alternative, like a pass. Actually, this works anywhere on the pitch in PES4. I use it to close down the other team.

Simmon. Serie A is correct with Ascoli, Treviso and Empoli.

I have one thought/question. Have Rivaldo's (Olympiakos) stats decreased sufficiently? I don't nomally ask about stats, but in this case i'm curious.

Last edited:
You see, I never play one player. I only play 2/3/4 player (that's why I'm not playing right now ;) ), so i presume tactics are different - Humans are less predictable.

Oh the other thing is that they have taken away huge speed advantages. I mean, you can catch high speed players (eg. shevchenko, owen, ronaldo) once they get past you with much slower defenders. This is because of slower dribble speeds. Maybe not hugely realistic, but does balance things out a bit more.

Professor Nutmeg said:
You mean like the com defenders cacthing your fast forwards? That always annoys me.

Has that been taken out of PES5 ? It went to extremes in WE9 when Hierro caught up and dispossed Thierry Henry... I knew the game had gone too far and gave up playing. I don't want lightning fast players, but the odd glimmer of reality wouldn't go amiss.

ok i might have missed it in we9 but in pes5beta you cant do a konamicup with 2legged games. So no proper CL, very annoying and pretty shite really!

Oh and the brasilian teams have been taken out. Only one left in there now with pes/weunited

Last edited:
I've never been this disappointed in a PES/WE game ever, actually the first time I've ever been disappointed in a PES/WE game. Players turn slower than an 18-wheeler and the faster players can't outrun their grandmother. Keepers are shite, I've yet to see a keeper make a decent save. Too many off-side runs from your own players. Too many freekicks being awarded, destroys the game flow. Just running alongside an opponent is enough to reward the opponent a freekick now. Meh, maybe next year eh?

rotta said:
I've never been this disappointed in a PES/WE game ever, actually the first time I've ever been disappointed in a PES/WE game. Players turn slower than an 18-wheeler and the faster players can't outrun their grandmother. Keepers are shite, I've yet to see a keeper make a decent save. Too many off-side runs from your own players. Too many freekicks being awarded, destroys the game flow. Just running alongside an opponent is enough to reward the opponent a freekick now. Meh, maybe next year eh?

Totally disagree.

Im not in love with the game anymore, but what you just said, imo is a load of crap.

you must be a crap tackler if you keep givin away FK's on PES5 because it has been well tweaked down from WE9.

you can also burst past players very easy if you know how, and they will certainly not catch faster players.

maybe you give it another try, you'll see its not as bad as you make out.

Professor Nutmeg said:
PES2 was a huge disappointment. So much so, that back then i played WE6FE instead. PES2 is best forgotten imo.

I couldn't agree more/
PES2 was the worst PES ever by a mile. In fact, I played it just for two months or so and then went back to PES1 until PES3 came out.

I think it would be good to hear a little more about the gameplay from a few people that have had a good go on the game now...

If anyone has an in depth comparison to WE9 it would be good to hear about it.

Compared to WE9 the 60Hz-version seems a bit quicker.
I am doubting to change to 50Hz to slow it down a little, but it is not as quick that it is to arcade-like in my opinion.

the ref's are definitly better tweaked then in WE9, still there are fouls made easily, but that looks realistic.

When the ball is in air, you can push the opponent and when you do that a bit too much, the whistle will be heared. just like in real life.

Sometimes the ref gives advantage, when you don't want it and also whistles when you want advantage, but again...just like in real life...(i recognized the ref of AJAX - Arse-anal in it ;) )

In my opinion it differs from WE9, it is a bit more tweaked in a good way in my opinion, but when you don't care for online, i think you can stick to WE9, since that game plays very good aswel.

Well, I don't have PES5 beta yet. My question is: what about the commentatory. Is it the same than PES4? I mean, same phrases? Or is it actually better than in PES4? More variety?

dave_walker22 said:
all you people who claim to have PES5 - if that's true then why are you wasting time on here when you could be playing the game?

LOL

Unluckily, I have to be present at work during the day. ;)

Since my head is with Pro Evo, i can satisfy my needs by giving some updates ;)

Commentary? I really don't know, turning off is the first thing i do when my option file is created ;) We (friends and I) do our own commentary...always more phrases ;)

And if i turn it on, i still cannot compare, since i don't know what is was like in PES4...

Back
Top Bottom