PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

Is it just me or is there an issue with getting in headers on goal from crosses in PES 2008 (PS2)?

I have no issue with this on PES 3, PES 5 or 6 but for some reason PES 2008 seems to almost nerf headers in the box.

Or it could just be me!

Is it just me or is there an issue with getting in headers on goal from crosses in PES 2008 (PS2)?

I have no issue with this on PES 3, PES 5 or 6 but for some reason PES 2008 seems to almost nerf headers in the box.

Or it could just be me!
Ah mate, would you believe that last night I was playing as Sheffield United against Luton in the 2nd leg of the Div 2 cup and McBurnie scored a hat-rick of headers for me.

The first two were carbon copies from a corner from Norwood and the third one was from an excellent move he made with Bogle. He played it out to the wing to Bogle and then run into the penalty area to header the cross in. Great stuff!

Not recorded though so you will have to take my word for it :P

Seriously though when I play against my brother we will have a period when most headers are nerfed but then another time when most headers are hitting the target.

Or it could just be me!

I didn't have that issue at least using Gee's OF.
In case you don't already know, use the R2 button to move and anticipate the header. Obviously you want players with good jump and heading stats, along with a high balance to win the position.

In AFS map for PES 2008 (https://www.virtuared.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=277) I just noticed that there are some stadiums that are not used in game:

Stadiums
8127 - Highbury (not used)
8259 - olympiastadion munich (not used)
8391 - Old Trafford (not used)
8919 - Stamford Bridge (not used)

Does anybody know if there is a way to make these stadiums appear in game? It would be cool to add them, or replace some of the ones I don't need with them.

In AFS map for PES 2008 (https://www.virtuared.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=277) I just noticed that there are some stadiums that are not used in game:

Stadiums
8127 - Highbury (not used)
8259 - olympiastadion munich (not used)
8391 - Old Trafford (not used)
8919 - Stamford Bridge (not used)

Does anybody know if there is a way to make these stadiums appear in game? It would be cool to add them, or replace some of the ones I don't need with them.

Sorry, I am not sure myself. It would be good if they could.

I thought I would share this video that I uploaded.

It’s PES2008 PS2 version but emulated on Xbox Series S. I am so pleased with it and I thank @Flipper the Priest for not only pointing me in the right direction but helping me out a lot more.

It stutters a little and I have tried different settings but I don’t want to lose the quality of the graphics. But I can put up with it.

The match itself is a ML match between Bournemouth and Leeds (me). 2nd v top at the midway point of the season.
It is an excellent match, so physical. I am still trying to get used to the Xbox controller so there are some loose balls.

Enjoy if you have a spare 20mins :)

To me it almost looks like the PC version of PES2008.

I thought I would share this video that I uploaded.

It’s PES2008 PS2 version but emulated on Xbox Series S. I am so pleased with it and I thank @Flipper the Priest for not only pointing me in the right direction but helping me out a lot more.

It stutters a little and I have tried different settings but I don’t want to lose the quality of the graphics. But I can put up with it.

The match itself is a ML match between Bournemouth and Leeds (me). 2nd v top at the midway point of the season.
It is an excellent match, so physical. I am still trying to get used to the Xbox controller so there are some loose balls.

Enjoy if you have a spare 20mins :)

To me it almost looks like the PC version of PES2008.
Hi mate, what are the differences compared to the PCSX2 emulator?
Will you release an update on season 23/24 for Pes 2008 PS2?

Hi mate, what are the differences compared to the PCSX2 emulator?
Will you release an update on season 23/24 for Pes 2008 PS2?

Hi mate, it is the XBSX2 emulator but it effectively is the same as the PCSX2 on the PC. I think it is just because the Xbox is more powerful than my PC that is why it looks so much better being able to play in 4K. Also I can record gameplay straight to my external drive.

Being honest I am completely new to this emulating on Xbox so I am learning as I go along. For example there is still a bit of slow down at times, normally at kick off, and a bit of clipping. I have lowered the resolution a bit but it still does it. For me though I can put up with it because it is not all the time.

Regarding the 23/24 season option file, yes I am working on it but it is taking time. It’s funny that you mention the word ‘update’ and that is how I imagine it to be but there is still over about 1000 players to create for it and it takes time.

I would say hopefully it will be done by the end of January.

The option file in the video was last season’s in case you were wondering. ;)

Hi mate, it is the XBSX2 emulator but it effectively is the same as the PCSX2 on the PC. I think it is just because the Xbox is more powerful than my PC that is why it looks so much better being able to play in 4K. Also I can record gameplay straight to my external drive.

Being honest I am completely new to this emulating on Xbox so I am learning as I go along. For example there is still a bit of slow down at times, normally at kick off, and a bit of clipping. I have lowered the resolution a bit but it still does it. For me though I can put up with it because it is not all the time.

Regarding the 23/24 season option file, yes I am working on it but it is taking time. It’s funny that you mention the word ‘update’ and that is how I imagine it to be but there is still over about 1000 players to create for it and it takes time.

I would say hopefully it will be done by the end of January.

The option file in the video was last season’s in case you were wondering. ;)
Ok Thanks...I think Pes 2008 PS2 is the best version after the Pes 6 pc version

Only recently stumbled over the 2008 PS2 version, thanks to this forum. I used to buy and play religiously PES 3 to 6. Sort of missed out on the next gen with life getting in the way afterwards, and those PS3 onward games didn't inspire me whenever I had a chance to play. Got later my hands on the 2011 PS2 game. Which I didn't enjoy at all. So ever since once in a while got my hands dirty in the classics, as those games still feel like rock solid football games; but never even consider 2008 for the PS2.

Had some time to play now and must say I find 2008 refreshing. I played the same game in the same ground and conditions from 4 to 08 and the 08 versions plays noticeably sharper, more responsive, better shooting and more avenues to goal. Not once did I score the "classic" Pes goal dribbling with speed toward the box from the wing, and pass the ball back for a "one-timer" to score. The through ball is much more effective in many different ways.

The AI feels like a "real" player. So varied in their way of attacking. I find seriously challenging on Top Player to win games. Defending is quite a chore. To the point of frustration, I must say, as it seems (for me at least) nearly impossible to stop them dribbling from midfield through into the box like a warm knife through butter. Perhaps anyone has any tips for defending better?

The AI feels like a "real" player. So varied in their way of attacking. I find seriously challenging on Top Player to win games. Defending is quite a chore. To the point of frustration, I must say, as it seems (for me at least) nearly impossible to stop them dribbling from midfield through into the box like a warm knife through butter. Perhaps anyone has any tips for defending better?

I found that the only effective way to defend in PES 6 and PES 2008 is in full manual.
If you let the CPU select the player you are in control, you'll face big issues.

Only recently stumbled over the 2008 PS2 version, thanks to this forum. I used to buy and play religiously PES 3 to 6. Sort of missed out on the next gen with life getting in the way afterwards, and those PS3 onward games didn't inspire me whenever I had a chance to play. Got later my hands on the 2011 PS2 game. Which I didn't enjoy at all. So ever since once in a while got my hands dirty in the classics, as those games still feel like rock solid football games; but never even consider 2008 for the PS2.

Had some time to play now and must say I find 2008 refreshing. I played the same game in the same ground and conditions from 4 to 08 and the 08 versions plays noticeably sharper, more responsive, better shooting and more avenues to goal. Not once did I score the "classic" Pes goal dribbling with speed toward the box from the wing, and pass the ball back for a "one-timer" to score. The through ball is much more effective in many different ways.

Yes those dribbles can be annoying sometimes but you have to time your tackles with your DMF or CB. Try not to press too much as it brings players out of position and the CPU will exploit the gaps. Also try not to frantically select players as that can lead to panic.

Perhaps anyone has any tips for defending better?

Two very important aspects covered by Juventino32 & geeeeee, that I will emphasize on a little..

When playing manual, select a player that is preferably behind the ball & take advantage of the 2nd player press (hold ◻️)
So while the CPU is pressing the ball for you, you cut off the passing options with the selected defender. Or double press on some occasions.

You must be patient with the 2nd player press though, as they will get dribbled easily if just hold it down & rush them.
Aim to contain them & just press ◻️ enough, that your CPU defender is near enough to annoy them, while you are actively closing spaces with your selected player. This will force much more errors from them.

Also in button configuration you can change long pass method to manual also.
Option 2 still has automated crosses around penalty area & 5 is full manual (you can still auto cross with L1+⚪)
By choosing manual, you can utilize the R2+⚪, high long pass much more effectively. It's fun & effective doing little chipped passes, or switches of play, that you just can't do otherwise.

Joga Bonito mate.

Try to hold R2 while you face a opponent with the ball. It should keep your player hold position without turn back and help you contain the opponent.
On Pes 2008 you can't spam the pressing button like on Pes6, you have to find the right timing.

Yes those dribbles can be annoying sometimes but you have to time your tackles with your DMF or CB. Try not to press too much as it brings players out of position and the CPU will exploit the gaps. Also try not to frantically select players as that can lead to panic.
Maestro, we look forward to the iso and file options 23/24... thank you for letting us discover this great game

Thanks all, trying to implement those tips. Still struggle but gets a bit better. What I find most effective is playing an ultra aggressive pressing style with a very high defensive line and short space between the lines in general, so to always have a bunch of players around to pressure the opposition. They struggle to play through me and I rarely concede now.... unless from a corner. I'm so bad at defending them.

However, also struggle mightily, at least with my Master League team to score goals. The passing is off, the players make the wrong moves at the wrong time, I struggle to beat a man. It's a chore to play...

Maestro, we look forward to the iso and file options 23/24... thank you for letting us discover this great game

Thanks, I am happy that others enjoy it too. Not sure if you tried season 22/23 here https://evoweb.uk/threads/gees-pes-2008-22-23-option-file-and-iso-file-for-ps2.94024/

As the 23/24 won't be released until the end of Feb I'm afraid. It is hard work and sometimes tedious work if I'm honest but I do some every day. It will get done in the end ;)

What I find most effective is playing an ultra aggressive pressing style with a very high defensive line and short space between the lines in general, so to always have a bunch of players around to pressure the opposition.

Is that a quote from Ange Postecoglou? :D

Regarding ML, are you using the ML Defaults?... If so, yep that would be really difficult.

I think you have to just persevere, eventually your player's attributes will increase and they will get better. When that happens it is really satisfying. Also, teamwork is a big factor too, not just the individual stat but the one that shows the teamwork 'chemistry' on the formation screen. (I think you press 'circle' a few times and it comes up at the top section.) You can buy a top player but if his teamwork 'chemistry' with the other players is low then it will be harder for him to read passes etc...

Finally, when playing out from the back take your time, go backwards if need be so that you don't lose possession.

It is difficult though and I have to play on 4 stars even without the ML Defaults. I also play on 15mins which means I can take my time with the build up from the back. ;)

Yes, I probably have to lower the difficulty. Always like to try and play the hardest and learn from failour. But must admit it becomes a bit tedious and feels like work and I'm losing the fun. I'll return later on 4* for sure because I really love the way the game in general looks and feels...

for the moment I'm just back on PES 5, which on 6* in ML is also quite challenging I must say, but I find it still a bit easier to get into. I was just fist pumping last night after 94 minutes of slogging out a goalless draw against Shakhtar Donetsk - with my Hansa Rostock XI consisting of farmers playing with seemingly gigantic wellies, judged by the fact how heavy their first touches are - securing another 400 vital PES points to get my budget out off the red.

stumbled across this thread - perfectly fitting into my maniacal search for the best retro PES-experience. trying to sort PES 5, WE9LE and pes6, but now pes2008 enters the discussion :ANX:

i tried DKZedit ISO+OptionFile, which is good but has some minor flaws.

any recommendations to point me to for ISOs / OF with not so recent squads?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom