PES5 Demo - Impressions

Well when people started going on about how WE9 was slower than PES4, I though, well it'll surely make it alot more realistic. But then I remember that PES is a great deal of fun to play too, so I actually like it being a bit quicker than real life.

Both PES5/WE9 feel a bit slower than PES4 anyway.

Just played the demo and........PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT THE SIDE STEP IN THE GAME IS WHAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN BITCHING ABOUT. For God sake, it's NOTHING. I'm off to go play some more games, and probably will order WE9 very soon.

ntalex said:
PES5 demo slightly looks like fifa. Players become bigger and pitch smaller, thus a total density on the pitch is increased.
To compare with we9 – in pes5 wide camera a little bit closer and speed faster.
IMO, WE9 better.

players are not bigger, pitch is not smaller, just that ur eyes are playing tricks on u

I've been playing WE9 since release they don't annoy me at all, and shooting is highly improved in this version, passing too.

I'll admit I would like dribbling to be slightly easier though I think a lot of people are hating this game because it's too hard for them.

Its all a question of familiarity . When PES4 came out this time last year i slated it on these forums stating that PES3 was far better but having played it for a year i would never go back again as it is far superior . The same applies to PES5 , people have far too high expectations and dont notice at first the small subtle changes that have been made to improve this title . I think you need a long period of play and not a knee jerk reaction .

1 release in Europe, but how many overall?

PES4
WE8
WE8I
WE8:LE

Now 4 games with veyr little improvements?

Anyway the game still feels scripted, why do the players not run where I want, instead of just running straight the way I want they seem to swerve like they are drunk.

Also when I am running up the wing, although I am going straight sometimes the ball just slides off the pitch. Or when I turn around they knock it miles away and again it goes to the side.

Why can't they just turn around and run straight like in PES4, why do they do these unpredictable bullshit moves?

And yep, brining the GK out imo is 100% useless, although my finger is firmly on Triangle for a good few seconds he delays his actions and when he eventually decides to get the finger out he misses the ball alot more than he gets it. Or while in PES4 the GK claimed 100/100 balls when he came out during a corner, they barely claim a ball in WE9/PES5.

You know it is like the handballs, in PES3 they happened non-stop, yet for PES4 they got whiped out completely, I take it they don't know what tweaking means.

Plus the fact the game barely runs on my PC unless I play on 60hz which leaves me with a punding headache after one half, although I have 1gb of ram, 2ghz and 6600GT. I can run games that have 50x better graphics easily, aka HL2, CS;S and BF2, yet I can't run a shitty football game?

Ah well, if the demo is anything to go by PES5 will be nothing but a waiste of time, all they do is make the game alot faster and reduce the fouls by 1% and add the newly promoted teams. And I wonder if they will bother to update the transfers and strips, or will we have tow ait for another game for that, aka LE?

How people can say EA are money grabbing is beyond me, they bring FIFA out ONCE at a time, yet Konami bring out their game about 5 times under new names?

kingpug said:

PES4
WE8
WE8I
WE8:LE

Now 4 games with veyr little improvements?

Anyway the game still feels scripted, why do the players not run where I want, instead of just running straight the way I want they seem to swerve like they are drunk.

Also when I am running up the wing, although I am going straight sometimes the ball just slides off the pitch. Or when I turn around they knock it miles away and again it goes to the side.

Why can't they just turn around and run straight like in PES4, why do they do these unpredictable bullshit moves?

And yep, brining the GK out imo is 100% useless, although my finger is firmly on Triangle for a good few seconds he delays his actions and when he eventually decides to get the finger out he misses the ball alot more than he gets it. Or while in PES4 the GK claimed 100/100 balls when he came out during a corner, they barely claim a ball in WE9/PES5.

You know it is like the handballs, in PES3 they happened non-stop, yet for PES4 they got whiped out completely, I take it they don't know what tweaking means.

Plus the fact the game barely runs on my PC unless I play on 60hz which leaves me with a punding headache after one half, although I have 1gb of ram, 2ghz and 6600GT. I can run games that have 50x better graphics easily, aka HL2, CS;S and BF2, yet I can't run a shitty football game?

Ah well, if the demo is anything to go by PES5 will be nothing but a waiste of time, all they do is make the game alot faster and reduce the fouls by 1% and add the newly promoted teams. And I wonder if they will bother to update the transfers and strips, or will we have tow ait for another game for that, aka LE?

How people can say EA are money grabbing is beyond me, they bring FIFA out ONCE at a time, yet Konami bring out their game about 5 times under new names?
You aren't suppose to buy the other games mate, you obviously like the game enough to buy them all though...

1 game a year in this country is fine, Japan gets two because over there people care more about gaming, it's not just a hobby.

kingpug said:

Your first point, well this game is more of a simulation, therefore just like in real life players do not run in straight lines and again like in real life if your players touch is not up to it then the ball will fly of in all directions.

As for multiple releases, there are 2 releases in the Japan market because there is sufficient demand and just like EA there is only one release a year in the UK market, but in my opinion unlike FIFA, Pro evo is always more playable.

Yep but if we talk about reality then players can turn more than 6 ways no? They turn like robots, just instant turning, not real at all. I only notice this shit touch by the players when I am near the wings, funnily enough never happens in my own half.

Why have 2 releases for Japan though, why not just release PES in every country but translate the English to Japanese?

Plus Japan have the J League version aswell, so I don't think they need LE, JL and WE9, maybe if the change between the three was more than what it is yea.

The other thing with FIFA though, is the fact they can actually update the game before releasing it, konami can't even do transfers which would take not even a day to complete. Am I right in saying FIFA also get patches? I don't know about that, and how long has FIFA had online mode?

The fact that FIFA can update transfers and PES can't is a consequence of the license issue. With the FIFPRO License Konami has to renew the license every year. When the licence is renewed Konami can update until the renewal date..every transfer that happens after that date (which is before the transfer period) is not covered by the Fifpro License...I'm sure someone with better knowledge of this issue will say that what i'm saying is not correct and he will be probably right, but it is due to something very similar that Konami is unable to update the game (i've read this in an interview with Seabass). This has nothing to do with laziness or sloppyness from Konami.

kingpug said:
Yep but if we talk about reality then players can turn more than 6 ways no? They turn like robots, just instant turning, not real at all. I only notice this shit touch by the players when I am near the wings, funnily enough never happens in my own half.

Why have 2 releases for Japan though, why not just release PES in every country but translate the English to Japanese?

Plus Japan have the J League version aswell, so I don't think they need LE, JL and WE9, maybe if the change between the three was more than what it is yea.

The other thing with FIFA though, is the fact they can actually update the game before releasing it, konami can't even do transfers which would take not even a day to complete. Am I right in saying FIFA also get patches? I don't know about that, and how long has FIFA had online mode?
If it sells enough and makes them money they can release as many versions as they like, you don't have to buy them.

And EA don't release one game, you're forgetting special Champions League and World Cup versions, and the occasional Euro game.

Mikey said:
Just played the demo and........PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT THE SIDE STEP IN THE GAME IS WHAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN BITCHING ABOUT. For God sake, it's NOTHING. I'm off to go play some more games, and probably will order WE9 very soon.

The sidesteps in WE9 didn't bother me but in PES5, they're horrendous. Maybe it's a controller thing but my players now just constantly do sidesteps to the point where the game is laughable.

I played a straighforward passback to my keeper and wanted to simply hoof the ball clear, but first, he decided to go into some scripted animation routine of about 3 sidesteps, resulting in him running into an attacker who had originally been about 10 yards away, lost the ball and a goal was scored.

Even just trying to stroke the ball across the back 4, which was fine in WE9, now results in multiple sidesteps and hairy moments as the players go into bizarre, elaborate, scripted animations.

I don't blame my controller because it works 100% perfect on every other game. I blame Konami for having such poor controller setup options so I cannot configure it properly to work with their weird game.

Also getting some weird flickering thing across the screen, like my gfx card is half-way knackered. Had the same thing in PES4. Yet never had it in any other game, only PES.

They don't seem very good at doing PC games.

i have same broblem i have radeon x700 and this happens also with pes 4. so if someone knows how to solve the screen line broblem stuff :) please tell me

oh yeah the game is fantastic. i had no broblem playing it even last pes i have is PES4. must buy ofcourse, \\:o/ :applause: :D

Winston no problem here..I have both version We9 and Pes5 pc demo and its almoust the same...My controler work great..I have logitech rumblepad2...

If you have flickering across the screen turn on v-sync...

I did many experiments with PES4 to try to get rid of the flicker, I tried every option imaginable, but nothing changed it, even though it never occurs on any other game/application. I will not waste my time making the same fruiless efforts with PES5 on PC. Tbo, I prefer to play on PS2 anyway. The game was written for this platform and it shows, it feels smoother and more natural. PC looks much better (except flicker) and is much quicker for patching, but somehow feels more like wooden gameplay.

j4y3m said:
If it sells enough and makes them money they can release as many versions as they like, you don't have to buy them.

And EA don't release one game, you're forgetting special Champions League and World Cup versions, and the occasional Euro game.

Yea, but saying that the WC is every 4 years and EC every 2, so everytime FIFA bring out a WC version Konami bring out about 16 versions of their game, big difference. 16 might not be 100% correct but I ain't in the mood to count :)

And I don't buy them, doesn't mean I have to like the idea, everyone says EA are money grabbers and they barely change FIFA, when in actual fatc Konami are the money grabbers. Just remember you don't own Konami so it won't hurt admitting this.

Last edited by a moderator:
APX said:
i have same broblem i have radeon x700 and this happens also with pes 4. so if someone knows how to solve the screen line broblem stuff :) please tell me

oh yeah the game is fantastic. i had no broblem playing it even last pes i have is PES4. must buy ofcourse, \\:o/ :applause: :D

It's the v sync on your PC not being set. Download a tweak program for your video card drivers, and put v sync on.

Most people overhere are happy with the game, like me.
Still I have some points I dont like. Why is the speed faster than WE9? It isn't much faster, but still. Konami seems to think we in Europe like more arcade-games. This one feels more arcadey than WE 9.
The same little changes (compared with WE9) are made about tackling (less free kicks), passing (slightly easier) and the defense and midfield do not defend as deep as in WE9.
The game still is great and certainly better than PES 4, but why not keep the good points from WE 9?

The only outspoken negative views of this topic were from the same guys who already bitched WE9. Some people are never happy. Just don't play these games; they are not of your taste :D

Mikey said:
It's the v sync on your PC not being set. Download a tweak program for your video card drivers, and put v sync on.

Its indeed vsync problem, but when i turn it on in rivatuner, line disappear but game gets chopy .. really chopy.

Last edited:
By the way, all these people who complain about the automatic side step. Just press R1 just before you make the turn to make the ball stop, and you can turn like normal.

Just scored an amazing goal with Valencia. :D I made a lovely manual diagonal pass from just out side my own box, to Angulo all the way in the opponent's half, then I cut the ball back and twated it lovely in the corner from just out side the box. :mrgreen:

I love this game already. It's like WE8LE only better :D

Back
Top Bottom