PES5 Demo - Impressions

NickSCFC

Banned
18 July 2003
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Stoke City/Liverpool
In my opinion it's great, the new animation really stands out and there's no more of these robotic moves from past games. I did find the player movement and AI to be improved, it felt alot tighter and I was often forced to pass with my first touch. I did give away a few free kicks from merely running into players, I'll have to watch that in future. I'm pleased with the pace, just like footie on telly now.

A few things.

1. Hope they change the menu image, it must be there to full in for the final one, it looks so amatuer!

2. Hope they change the music, it's the same as WE9. We know they changed the intro music for PES5, lets hope they change it for the rest of the game.

My screens:

henryvsterry1ps.jpg

drogba8ku.jpg

Last edited:
Wide cam seems to have changed compared to we9 (or is it just me?!)

it's also a bit faster paced imo, but ok.

i will get the ps2 version.

just played 3 matches, i can say i prefer pes5 over we9, although its faster, but at least its less boring.. and there are less fouls, and supercancel is good again, in we9, when u are running, supercancel will cause the player to stop and go but in pes5 the player will not stop, unless u release ur dpad

Diagonals on the controller seem better than PES4.

I also see lees fouls than WE9 (although I didn not mind this aspect of WE9).

Pace of the game is about perfect, definitely a bit slower than PES4, about the same as WE9.

Still far too much scripting and not having proper control of your player, but this is Konami, what did I expect?

Gfx look very nice at high resolution.

Easily a long, long way better than FIFA06 demo.

I think it's awesome!!!!
Pes 4 = 9/10
Pes 5 = 10/10

Purely based on gameplay. A lot of subtle but very good changes, the best thing is the ball physics. Feel like your actually kicking a ball with the correct weight.
Animations are very, very good especially the nets.
Shooting feels even more controlled than in pes4 .
Also the difference in every players skills is very much noticable e.g. you can bully defenders with Drogba or skin them for pace with Henry.
Couldn't be any more pleased with my first impression.
Must also mention that its alot harder than pes4, keepers have improved 100%.

Cant wait for the full version now.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

yeap, for me the most important thing is the super cancel, in we9 its almost useless as the player seems vv rigid when using super cancel, but pes5, its back as it is as pes4... and the gfx is tons better over ps2

tiktiktiktik said:
has anyone noticed if the stadiums are emtpy when playing but full when going to a cut scene/goal kick like in we9?
Yep, here's a screenshot I did last night which I posted in another demo thread...

image13ps.jpg

there are still some bugs that needs to be fixed, like music suddenly stopping in formation menu, ur players still doesnt anticipate ur passes(i wonder if its to do with teamwork)
another improvement i noticed was the lay off freekick, its better than we9

BK_83 said:
just played 3 matches, i can say i prefer pes5 over we9, although its faster, but at least its less boring.. and there are less fouls, and supercancel is good again, in we9, when u are running, supercancel will cause the player to stop and go but in pes5 the player will not stop, unless u release ur dpad

THATS SOME GREAT NEWS!!!!! I just love the super cancel and i`ve fooled many human oppononts with it :D In we9 it sucked that the player stopped while performing it..But now it`s back :D

winston said:
Diagonals on the controller seem better than PES4.

I also see lees fouls than WE9 (although I didn not mind this aspect of WE9).

Pace of the game is about perfect, definitely a bit slower than PES4, about the same as WE9.

Still far too much scripting and not having proper control of your player, but this is Konami, what did I expect?

Gfx look very nice at high resolution.

Easily a long, long way better than FIFA06 demo.

Scripting? I mean WHAT!

This gamesthe closest thing to freedom almost

Yip Great game Would like to give this 10/10 but i cant as there are still somethings that could be sorted so i'll give it a 9/10 same as PES4 but now the standers of games had risen PES4 would be an 8/10 compared to this.

What I Think:?
Great Gameplay much more harder passin is rock solid which i love as it just makes the game feel more real than ever (Cnt wait for 360 PES6)
Not had many shots but with the little few i've had from out side the box it looks amazing.
GFX good players looks good kits are great an when players falling is just so real you gotta rub ur eyes and foul the guy again to make sure you are playing a game. Taclking is outstanding rock hard taclkes getting stuck in its great feels lk your (Heinze, Keane, Savage)
Dont know much about the moves or diffrent passing things only noticed a pass when you hold dwn the R3 botton havnt masters it an only done it twice not total sure how it works. Love the little 3D Fans when the players come out a nice touch to the game.

If anyone knows all the controls i mean Skills and special shots and passes please post em and now much wait for a demo half extender \\:o/

froggyinwales said:
anyone knows all the controls i mean Skills and special shots and passes please post em and now much wait for a demo half extender \\:o/
There is a half extender. Look for "PES 5 DEMO OUT" topic.

The game is perfect. All I have to say.

PS: I NEED to play this game with São Paulo.

Last edited:
Alberto Tomba said:
Scripting? I mean WHAT!

This gamesthe closest thing to freedom almost

No way, you can't run in 360 degrees, and when chasing the ball the CPU takes over 90% of the time because of the fact you can't run in 360 directions.

Sorry, but I can't understand the euphoria of some people. After some years playing this game to death, this demo offers nothing new to the series, but only the same blatant mistakes and flaws of the past installments in the series.

They promised more control and now it seems ridiculous. You have LESS control over the match in every game they make. Now some defenders clear the ball automatically, the game changes selection of my players even if I play fully manual, the sidebacks continue to run away of opponents letting them go and cross all alone, etc...

This game has cracked and I can't see any reason that justifies paying for its single player. The cheats are as abusive as always (if not worst). You are ALWAYS outruned, always CHASED DOWN and your players tend to be unresponsive at some point, independantly of the stamina. That's because the AI is practically the same poor AI of previous games. Thus, your defenders seem to run away of strikers when a through pass is made; they can't grab a ball that passes only some inches away and definitely are all (don't matter constitution) prone to fall to the floor as soon as someone aproaches. Now the CPU likes to score by doing quite long and unrealistic through passes that can pass through everything, only they are pathetic when trying to beat my keeper.

The worst is that the game CHANGES directions of your shoots too many times in 1 vs 1 situations. And your best plays end up to the post too frequently. And deflections and balls cleared away (no matter direction, power, etc...) are 90% driven straight to the feet of the opponent (that is unmarked, of course).

All that together only shows, to me, a great level of lazyness to the developing team, trying to make the engine last until people gets tired of it. Add to that the infamous master league that has practically no changes.

By the way, I play WE9 since release, in case you try to say "this game plays differently". I know how is meant to be played, and single player is BORING.

I will play against my mates, of course, because in humans vs. human it will still be impressive, but single player is dead.

Last edited:
PES5 demo slightly looks like fifa. Players become bigger and pitch smaller, thus a total density on the pitch is increased.
To compare with we9 – in pes5 wide camera a little bit closer and speed faster.
IMO, WE9 better.

Could you guys post the tricks you know about. For so far I only could one trick. So please post some instructions for other tricks. And wat are the commands for that super cancel? :) :)

drekkard said:
Sorry, but I can't understand the euphoria of some people. After some years playing this game to death, this demo offers nothing new to the series, but only the same blatant mistakes and flaws of the past installments in the series.

They promised more control and now it seems ridiculous. You have LESS control over the match in every game they make. Now some defenders clear the ball automatically, the game changes selection of my players even if I play fully manual, the sidebacks continue to run away of opponents letting them go and cross all alone, etc...

This game has cracked and I can't see any reason that justifies paying for its single player. The cheats are as abusive as always (if not worst). You are ALWAYS outruned, always CHASED DOWN and your players tend to be unresponsive at some point, independantly of the stamina. That's because the AI is practically the same poor AI of previous games. Thus, your defenders seem to run away of strikers when a through pass is made; they can't grab a ball that passes only some inches away and definitely are all (don't matter constitution) prone to fall to the floor as soon as someone aproaches. Now the CPU likes to score by doing quite long and unrealistic through passes that can pass through everything, only they are pathetic when trying to beat my keeper.

The worst is that the game CHANGES directions of your shoots too many times in 1 vs 1 situations. And your best plays end up to the post too frequently. And deflections and balls cleared away (no matter direction, power, etc...) are 90% driven straight to the feet of the opponent (that is unmarked, of course).

All that together only shows, to me, a great level of lazyness to the developing team, trying to make the engine last until people gets tired of it. Add to that the infamous master league that has practically no changes.

By the way, I play WE9 since release, in case you try to say "this game plays differently". I know how is meant to be played, and single player is BORING.

I will play against my mates, of course, because in humans vs. human it will still be impressive, but single player is dead.

Christ get this guy a razor blade or some rope :lol: If you compare it to PES4, which is what you should do as it was the last pes game, it's a massive improvement!! Some of the stuff you say I just don't see personally lol. Also I hardly think the development team are lazy :shock: EA would kill for PES/WE's gamplay, so if it was so easy to get all these things right why can't no other game company do wat konami have done?? I'm no fanboy, there's things I don't like. But for me their doing a great job and they always improve the game which is alright with me. But I think your over-exaggerating greatly, it's a great game I feel.

mattster12 said:
Christ get this guy a razor blade or some rope :lol: If you compare it to PES4, which is what you should do as it was the last pes game, it's a massive improvement!! Some of the stuff you say I just don't see personally lol. Also I hardly think the development team are lazy :shock:

I call them lazy because they don't iron the obvious mistakes they could easily do. They have a better game than FIFA so they don't try hard to make it better. They just realease a bunch of BETAS along the year to milk more money.

What was I expecting? (not really, I knew it wouldn't happended, but I would liked it to): For instance, non-scripted deflections. Haven't you noticed that deflections are always driven to the boots of someone, normally the CPU player? That's crap! In real football the ball is free. In this game neither the ball nor your players are free. Players still run in RAILS. It's absurd having to do a special movement to get out of the path!

You don't see the cheats? All CPU players act like robots, it just doesn't matter the stats of any player. Beckham can follow the ball through the entire pitch in sprint mode. In replays you can clearly see the CPU players doing 2 steps for every step your player do. You can (I tried it in WE9) put all your opponents stats to 1, put a absurd tactic to them and nothing changes. The game would play exactly the same, because there's a kind of superscript trying to balance the game and keep the scores tight. That's why a lot of shoots go to the post (you don't find it strange to have 2 posts per game?), they try to have an epic drama in every game. So if you are far better than the CPU and scores one or two, they turn into semi-heroes. That's unnecessary.

Haven't you ever noticed that on 1 vs 1 against goalkeeper, a lot of shoots tend to go straight to the keeper although you were aiming somewhere else? Look replays and you'll see. Also, I dribled the goalkeeper outside the area, continued running and... heavens above! the goalkeeper CHASED Henry! Ha ha ha.

All this things are seen by a LOT of people in the forums, installment after installment of the series. I think it's time they redo the gameplay engine, because, being BETTER than PES4, it's in the same path to scripted experience. Actually, I feel I had more movement freedom before, for instance, and now I feel all the things terribly constrained.
I'm talking about 5 or 6* difficulty levels, of course.

Of course, you can't disagree, as the vast majority will do. But after the WOW, when you try to play a master legaue, you discover all this things to make the single player irritating.

I'm not gonna get into the cheating thing again with people, I just don't see it at all!! 90% of deflections don't always goto the cpu lol, thats just bullshit! If your shots keep going to the GK then it's your shooting thats the problem, I mean they've made shooting miles easier in WE9. You can just sidefoot it past the keeper with R2 everytime.

Also it's just plain ignorance saying they "just realease a bunch of BETAS along the year to milk more money." I mean in europe we get just 1 release which is PES, I hardly think thats them milking our money. If your not happy don't buy all the versions that aren't meant for you!!

I could argue with you all nite, but you have your view I have mine. But ffs it's best game in it's genre and it pisses on all the competition. They haven't done that by releasing loads of BETA's. I along with lots of other people think they improve the game everytime. I mean how can you say they should redo the gamplay engine???WTF!! It's got the best gameplay engine ever, thats one of the silliest things I've ever heard :lol:

I love WE9, can't stop playing it, and I think it's a massive improvement, so I disagree with drekkard's post above, as a whole. However, to be fair (and try to prove I'm not a fanboy)...

drekkard said:
Also, I dribled the goalkeeper outside the area, continued running and... heavens above! the goalkeeper CHASED Henry! Ha ha ha.
I have to agree with this. I daren't bring a goalkeeper out any more because... Well, it starts off well enough, running towards the ball. But then he starts to think "why am I running out? What did I come out here for? ...I know I came out for something...", runs past the opposing player on his right side, goes "oh SHIT the ball, I came out for the ball!! Shit!!", does a 180-degree turn, chases the player, watches the ball go in the net and thinks "well I'm gonna look like a prat on Match Of The Day tonight aren't I?".

I love the game, and to me the cheating occurs a lot less, rather than more. But I have to be honest and say that the above is a bit of a problem for me. That's my only gripe, though (apart from there being no lower leagues and a better master league, but I can live with that for now).

Last edited:
Chris Davies said:
What did I come out here for? ...I know I came out for something...", runs past the opposing player on his right side, goes "oh SHIT the ball, I came out for the ball!! Shit!!"

Then you'll come to a tree, lovely old tree it is, then you'll be thinking, have I come too far...

WHAT ABOUT THE FOG! Stuck down hole, in the fog! Stuck down hole, in the fog, WITH AN OWL!!!!!!

*chases Chris down the road*

Last edited:
:D! I love you Nick! :D

...Back on-topic...

I prefer WE9 over this so far, I have to say. Can't be doing with the speed increase, doesn't seem realistic to me. WE9 had it just right, I felt. :(

Back
Top Bottom