PES6 Free Kicks

KJK1LL3R

League 2
1 April 2005
I am normally always quite good at free kicks right from the start when i get a new PES/WE game but I have struggled to score so far in PES6. I just need a few things cleared up fo me. If I hold :r1: when I am taking a free kick that will make the shot more powerful and if I hold :r2: when taking the free kick that will make the shot less powerful? Also if I hold :circle: after filling up the power bar of the free kick, will that make the ball travel faster towards goal and if I hold :x: after filling up the free kick power bar will that make the ball dip slowly? This would really help me out! Thanks!

generally i held up to get the power shots, i was dangerous within 35 metres... now i suck... it says holding triangle when powering up gives the most powerful kick... I have score one, and come close with others, curling is more effective i think..

For freekicks, :triangle: is hard shot and :x: is weak shot. :r1:, :r2: and :circle: do not apply when performing freekick SHOTS (not lobs that is).

Also, even though the manual seem to state otherwise, I have indeed noticed that you cannot only hold UP for the strongest shot. Instead you have to hold UP before starting to power up, then before the player shoots, press :triangle:. Failing to press triangle will result in a higher trajectory shot with less power. The manual and Command List only lists Very hard freekick as pressing UP.

As for the freekicks being hard, they are. And they suck hard compared to PES5. The goalies are just ridiculously fast and their behavious (acceleration of movement, reaction times etc) are not realistic one bit, which is an incredible feat sinxce PES5 almost had a perfect balance to me.

Last edited:
Is it me, or do the free kicks hardly curl at all?

I always have got good curl in past PES's, simply holding direction when power guage comes up.
Is there a certain new way of doing it?

Oh and I always just held up to get strong free kicks. Holding :triangle: as well as :square: sounds cumbersome..

How many types of free kick styles are there now in pes 6? Does any player have their own unique style which is not in the editing section?

FK's are harder for me, spent the 1st day i got the game in training to nail fk's i used to press up + direction and then :r2: now i need to fiddle with :triangle: + :x: before he hits the ball. With all my FK practice I took it to the game scored 1 out of about 10.

Keepers are better at saving fk's same cant be said about normal shots!

ahhh the little flaws are coming out, did konami just do a rush job on the errors in PES5? me think they did Master!

My free kicks seem to go flying over, even with the better players like Juninho and Roandlinho.

i scored a couple already in online matches with pirlo and henry

i never use R1 or R2, just the up and down button and the exact amount of shotpower :)

jobbymaster said:
FK's are harder for me, spent the 1st day i got the game in training to nail fk's i used to press up + direction and then :r2: now i need to fiddle with :triangle: + :x: before he hits the ball. With all my FK practice I took it to the game scored 1 out of about 10.

Keepers are better at saving fk's same cant be said about normal shots!

I agree, there is a great unbalance when it comes to goalie bahaviour in normal play and during freekicks.

As for Freekicks curling less, I would have to disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H70FaMMl898
This video is a good example of the goalkeeper behaviour being wayyy too good during freekicks. Perfect Freekick from 26 metres in the top corner and the goalie easily grabs it anyways.

uhm, hasnt anyone of you noticed the insane curve you get while using R1 or L1 during freekicks?

R1 and L1 are used to shift the aim left or right after you have pressed the shot or lob button (so you can fool human opponents about where you will be shooting). So they are not used for anything involving curl.

on pro 5 i always held up, pressed square for the amount of power i wanted then quickly slipped my thumb over tringle and achieved pretty reliable free kicks! now wen it comes to pro 6 i cant seem to get it right, i either send the ball into orbit or frustratingly hit the wall! i cant seem to get the power guage right, its got so bad that me and my flatmates are offering a night of free drinks to the one who sussessfully drills home a free kick!

on pro 5 i always held up, pressed square for the amount of power i wanted then quickly slipped my thumb over tringle and achieved pretty reliable free kicks! now wen it comes to pro 6 i cant seem to get it right, i either send the ball into orbit or frustratingly hit the wall! i cant seem to get the power guage right, its got so bad that me and my flatmates are offering a night of free drinks to the one who sussessfully drills home a free kick!

The reliability of freekicks has definately been changed. Now players are much less prone to hit the same spot several times. There is just more variation to aim and power for each freekick. Also now players can completely blow a freekick and get a wrong hit by getting backspin instead of topspin and sending it high over. And with the frustratingly god-like goalies that move like a racecar on the line there isn't much chance to score a freekick even from 25 metres. As far as I am concerned this is the main reason for me not playing PES6. The balance between shooter and goalkeeper in freekicks is just horribly wrong and completely unrealistic, and keepers save shots real-life goalies often wouldn't even react to (such as hard shots to the top corner from 25 meters where the goalie in real-life would have to be running full speed right as the kick is taken in order to save it).

Last edited:
Figo is awesome at free kicks. Had two shots hit the bar from maybe 20 metres out. I use R1 when close to goal and R1 and UP when away from goal, or no R1. I think the ball goes down faster with R1 pressed, but I might be wrong. I'm ace at corners though. Goals from corners is about 1 goal for every 2 to 3 corners. :P

Figo is awesome at free kicks. Had two shots hit the bar from maybe 20 metres out. I use R1 when close to goal and R1 and UP when away from goal, or no R1. I think the ball goes down faster with R1 pressed, but I might be wrong. I'm ace at corners though. Goals from corners is about 1 goal for every 2 to 3 corners. :P

Whats your corner technique mate if you dont mind me asking as I am struggling on them?

wen trying to score from a corner i press the D-pad towards goal 4 times then hold circle to about half way on the power guage and as the ball is traveling hold D-pad towars goal and the ball should tuck nicely into the near corner!

It's harder to score but it's ridiculous to say it's a flaw or something. I've scored a few with Henry and get plenty of curl. In general i would say use less power than u would in pes5 or we10.

I've not scored a single free kick as of yet, and I've only conceded one - against Pirlo. I've probably hit the bar 15 or so times, and put it into orbit another 25 times. My previous technique was to shoot, then hold :triangle: whilst curling (as that brought the ball lower). Also if you were very close to goal, holding down worked very well. None of which works in PEs6...at all! I've practiced with Ronaldinho & Juninho and no success. I'll be trying out some of the tips here, it's a state of emergency D:

Hi!

I never was an ace at soring at freekicks (exceppt for WE6FE and WE7I), but now I seem to get better in PES6 compared to PES5. My technique does not include :r1: :l2: :l1: :r2: :triangle: :circle: or any other button, just :square: to shoot. Depending on the distance, I add curl with the stick in a "fireball move", so to speak: a quarter circle from down to left or right, just before the shot goes off. This makes the ball drop a little faster and lets me aim about 1 m outside of the goal and curl the ball in. I score nicely with Henry and van der Vaart, playing only Arsenal and the Netherlands.

But as I read your tricks, I´m tempted to try :triangle: . Also, I recall using :r1: :r2: in WE6FE/WE7I, maybe that made me so successful these days!?

Y17

i also think figo is great at freekicks in this game... i just follow the instructions in the manual... personally left/right and triangle does the job... also scored a cracker with juninho top corner of the unwalled side of the goal :)

still dont know how to do the little close in chip freekicks, pes5 i just held down when i shot...

Back
Top Bottom