PES6 - Reviews and First Impressions

Noted said:
My mate who doesnt own a console and plays pro evo whenever he comes round to mine, and came over to try PES6, said

"Its the same as PES5"

Sums it up really.

I'd own your friend in a PES6 game. That also sums it up really. ;)

airjoca said:
I'd own your friend in a PES6 game. That also sums it up really. ;)

I can't believe someone would say 5 is the same as 6, same as we10 maybe yes but the speed and overall play is vastly different between them its a lot slower and pass orientated where 5 was more about through balls in the channels. I am not saying I love 6 or anything but there is a difference. I am just dissapointed that its very little different to WE10 apart from a little slower......

PES6 is somewhere between PES5 (which was turgid 0-0 affair for many people) and WE10 (why was way too arcade and 3* was more like 1*). The balance is somewhere between the two games, which is good.

But other than that, the game has absolutely nothing new to offer and in fact, they've taken features out and added not a single thing worthy of mention.

I agree with drekkard, it's offers less than the average expansion pack or patch.

It's an embarassment that they have the audacity to sell it as a new game.

I score PES6 0 out of 10.

There's additions to online play and that is the future. The game is almost perfect already, gameplay wise. I'm buying it just to beat people online.

I'm not interested in on-line play.

Gameplay is far from perfection. The gameplay is extremely limited. You still can't even do fundamental things like control the speed of a simple ground pass, choose which direction you wish to pass other than 8 and the exact direction is determined (scritped) by the cpu. The ball physics is still largely scripted as is the general pattern of play in each match.

They break the keepers in WE10 and then fix them again in PES6. This seems to be their main tactic now...break things one year, then fix them the next as "new improved features".

This game seemed really good about 4 years ago. I got bored with PES6 after 1 match....I'm sitting playing thinking "I've done all this before, there's nothing new here". I keep playing, see one or two new animations but absolutely nothing which affects the overall gameplay experience.

The game is completely stagnant. They didn't even tinker with the ML, let alone make the badly need overhaul.

Online game is only a characteristic and it is not new since it already was on pes5.

I really agree with the last comment. Anyway I will play more to see if the game improves for me, but I really doubt it.

Well I know online play was in PES5, duh. But there are new additions to the mode with more statistics and so forth. That's what I like.

ML means nothing to me since I've always found it unrealistic. Haha gameplay is extremely limited? if you want a challenge why don't you use the manual passing all the time then? Do you want a bar for the passing? The passes are based on how you stand and how you hit the ball.

There still isn't anything better out than FIFA were all the players look like retards :P Sensible Soccer 06 is the most enjoyable football game after PES if you ask me.

No one can complain they haven't changed much since WE10 it is the European release of the same game.
But it is about time Konami started to release only 1 Gen WE/PES game a year (not including J-League even tho they could just add these teams to the same release).
Especially for the American who have for no reason to wait another 4 months for an identical PES game with new name.
Hopefully the PS3 being Region free will force their hand in our favor as they have no reason to change now.

I do feel its our fault tho we buy every version of the game released and we really need to start taking a stand against these pathetic releases every 4 months and choose not to buy them.

embraceuk1 said:
No one can complain they haven't changed much since WE10 it is the European release of the same game.
But it is about time Konami started to release only 1 Gen WE/PES game a year (not including J-League even tho they could just add these teams to the same release).
Especially for the American who have for no reason to wait another 4 months for an identical PES game with new name.
Hopefully the PS3 being Region free will force their hand in our favor as they have no reason to change now.

I do feel its our fault tho we buy every version of the game released and we really need to start taking a stand against these pathetic releases every 4 months and choose not to buy them.

Agreed....it will be interesting to see how they act with the PS3.
But still I won't be surprised to see at-least 3 per year
for different languages (Japanese, English/Spanish/etc, and one specific
to JL)

Noted said:
My mate who doesnt own a console and plays pro evo whenever he comes round to mine, and came over to try PES6, said

"Its the same as PES5"

Sums it up really.

My wife also looks at every single PES since PES 1 and says it looks exacly the same game over and over.

This also sums it up about:

1 - the level of envolvment my wife has with PES, similar to your friend (my wife also doesn't have a console)

2 - the intelligence you show using his opinion as anything valid, specially to demonstrate the ridiculous... that PES5 is the same as PES6.

....really. ;)

Mauras said:
My wife also looks at every single PES since PES 1 and says it looks exacly the same game over and over.

1 - the level of envolvment my wife has with PES, similar to your friend (my wife also doesn't have a console)

2 - the intelligence you show using his opinion as anything valid, specially to demonstrate the ridiculous... that PES5 is the same as PES6.

....really. ;)

lol:lmao:

Mauras said:

....really. ;)

that's not true, ppl who don't know anything about games can't see the difference it's normal!

and there's also a big difference between someone who just watches and someone who playes..you first have to play to see what the difference is.

I really don't understand people complaining about the upgrade from WE 10 to PES 6. Konami don't sell WE 10 in Europe, PES 6 is an upgrade to PES 5.

If Konami turned around and decided to do 1 release a year you'd all start complaining about that as well. You choose to jump through hoops to get the Japanese version of the game, nobody is forcing you to do it.

I've always stayed on the 1 upgrade a year path with PES and have never been disappointed with a release and I'm sure I won't be with PES 6 either.

denirobob said:
That's quite something Mauras

Both my mum and girlfriend have on occasions thought i was watching a real game whilst playing pro evo!!

db

haha! true, also my mom and her girlfriend said this occasionally!

TC! said:
I really don't understand people complaining about the upgrade from WE 10 to PES 6. Konami don't sell WE 10 in Europe, PES 6 is an upgrade to PES 5.

If Konami turned around and decided to do 1 release a year you'd all start complaining about that as well. You choose to jump through hoops to get the Japanese version of the game, nobody is forcing you to do it.

I've always stayed on the 1 upgrade a year path with PES and have never been disappointed with a release and I'm sure I won't be with PES 6 either.

The point is: HOW COULD YOU WAIT ???

:)

I mean...i could not resist every time came out a 'new' winning eleven or pes..i have to play it, to test the new improvements!

TC! said:

well said, it's the same for me..I can't understand ppl, they get the WE (japanese version) wich normally they shouldn't and the get the PES version a month early! (talk about luxery :roll: )

AND THEY STILL MOAN AND MOAN LIKE LILL BABYS

Could someone answer me this?:

My biggest gripe in PES5 was that the average player (not the Ronaldinho's etc.) had a thinking time in excess of the worlds dumbest sloth. Has this improved in the new version?

Secondly, the above mentioned 'average player' would often take about 15 meters to trap a simple pass. Has this been improved upon?

Cheers

A very subtle change has happend in this field compared to WE10/PES5, but yes i feel players are more able to perform quick passes, shots, tricks, turns, spurts and shots. That is if you take special care to your timing, like always. It also helps that, especially short to medium ranged passes arent as bouncy as before so that the recieving player has less trouble controlling it. This makes a string of passes seem more fluid, more like it can look in real football.

I myselve play in 60hz btw, and i would hereby advise people to always tell in wich hz they play when posting their oppinion.

really dissapointed by this game:( the same as wE10 Plus few but REALLY Few improvments!!!fortunately i won't have to put one single euro on this game!!!

Drekkard. I think you are a slashing this game a little too much mate. Pes6 is not worse than WE10 as you stated. For starters Pes6 has more balance and its gamespeed is way more realistic. I disagree with you on several points but let's not get into that.

There is one thing however that you are ABSOLUTELY right about:

drekkard said:
When defending, it DOESN'T MATTER at all if you are in a good position. Positioning is a concept that has no place in this game.
One terrible thing that happened in previous installments but now it's really fustrating. It doesn't matter if you are positioning yourself, you won't intercept a pass. Maybe the opponent fails a pass and the ball goes straight to your defender, but if you try to intercept or simply cover a line of pass, you can't! That's why in attack I simply pass the ball around freely no matter how many defenders are in the way. And 90% of the time the pass is done perfectly. That works through all the field except when there are melées in the areas or when CPU decides it's time to make pression because it's loosing (something you can't do as a player, because you can only move one man with direction arrows and another to do strange runs with square

This is very evident in 1vs1 games and 1vsCPU games. Almost every low pass connects. The amount of 'pass assist' is ridiculous. Just play the ball remotely in the direction of a teammate and the CPU will make sure he gets the ball. If nescessary, the ball will go in open space and the receiving player will be given a headstart to collect it. At the same time, the defender will mysteriously be prevented from moving towards that same ball until his opponent has collected it, same goes for one touch passes. I have also noticed that if you perform a sliding tackle to intercept a ball, the ball will pass right through your foot. What has also occurs a lot is that when i performed a bad pass (ie to a player that was surrounded by defenders) the CPU would just help me and override my command. The ball would then very conveniently be passed to a player who was in a better position. Very scripted BS. This was on the highest difficulty setting.

I think it is a good thing that you can perform better passing combinations. The downside is that, in pes6, this requires little skill. As long as you make sure that the receiving player is not in an impossible position, your pass will connect. Not because you applied enough weight or direction to the pass but simply because the CPU makes sure that he gets it. It makes you feel that you are not in control when you are attacking and (especially when you are) defending. If you play a human, he can just keep on passing the ball, if he is carefull. It will be very very difficult to intercept it until he has reached your penalty erea. This does not only apply to strong sides like Chelsea or Barca. You can do the same with PSV.

I still like the game, but i am worried about this.It's easier to intercept passes in 2vs2 games btw.

This is coming from a very experienced player.

winston said:
I'm not interested in on-line play.

Gameplay is far from perfection. The gameplay is extremely limited. You still can't even do fundamental things like control the speed of a simple ground pass, choose which direction you wish to pass other than 8 and the exact direction is determined (scritped) by the cpu. The ball physics is still largely scripted as is the general pattern of play in each match.

They break the keepers in WE10 and then fix them again in PES6. This seems to be their main tactic now...break things one year, then fix them the next as "new improved features".

This game seemed really good about 4 years ago. I got bored with PES6 after 1 match....I'm sitting playing thinking "I've done all this before, there's nothing new here". I keep playing, see one or two new animations but absolutely nothing which affects the overall gameplay experience.

The game is completely stagnant. They didn't even tinker with the ML, let alone make the badly need overhaul.
This time of year there are always nay-sayers. But I get the feeling I'll be agreeing with you once I get my hands on PES6.

Although manual passing has been there since PES2 (or PES1 even??) using the right analogue stick. At the time there was no power bar. Power was determined by how far you pushed the stick. But just as I was getting used to it they brought in the roulette trick, which is a nice move, but nerfs the manual passing because clicking the stick down can change its direction. I wish there was an option to turn off the roulette (edit: I forgot that there is :rolleyes: - I tend to play default settings with my mates).

But if you want a new challenge, try going manual only with short and long range passing.

Last edited:
Hi.

...I tend no to let myself into these arguments since I always feel they nowhere... It's just "that time of the season".

Nonetheless, some people do say a lot of smart stuff herem and I wish that you all would read it and think about it.

Here in Europe they only release PES - 3, 4, 5, 6, you name it. In Japan, they release WEx, then J-WE, then Final evolution and stuff... If you, here in europe, decide to get your hands on the Japanese version, you should take it as a preview copy of your European version, not as a new release Konami uses to get your money... Furthermore, I say with all confidence that 90% of the people who play these Japanese versions do NOT buy them at all, so I stand that you have no right whatsoever to complain about the minor changes from WE10 to PES6, and even less right to say that you shall not be wasting another penny on it - if you ever planned to buy it at all from the first place. (Yes, I do know that there are 10% who actually buy it, JackBauer and the rest ;) ). I, for once, admit: I DO NOT buy the Japanese versions. I buy the European releases on the day of release - I have a gallery of pictures in the PES site I mod in, with pictures of me with the original CD cases, manuals and CDs/DVDs, since ISS Pro in the PSOne (and I'm counting only KCET games, 'cause I own some of the KCEO ones too, the first ones specially). And last year I bought PES5 for my PS2 and PSP, and this year I'll do it again - unless the PSP version turns out to be just hype (I have high hopes for it, though) - and who knows, I might even buy an X360 if the game proves worthy.

The second thing is: they should do something major each version - and hell, they do. So many of us insulted Konami for delaying the Network Options for the PS2. Well, they got it for you. Then, many of you craved for an online Master League. It seems it's in this year - don't know how it will be, but we'll see - and not only that, you get to play 4vs4 online, PS2 vs PC (don't know that many games who can brag about this in particular), and you can - at least, according to the PSM3 preview - transfer your ML from the PS2 to the PSP. Great news! What? you don't play online and don't have a PSP? Well, online doesn't turn me on that much really, so what are you left with? A game with some gameplay tweaks from PES5, International Mode and Random Selection Match. What's so bad about it? If you let me, I'll make a slight draft of the changes between the versions:

ISS Pro -> ISS Pro 98 : new graphics engine, aired through ball, step-over feint, more tactics options; gameplay enhancements.
ISS Pro Evolution 1: Master League, and some clubs, fake-shot feint JUST to one side, the "let the ball pass through the legs" simulation, 16-direction turns while running; gameplay enhancements.
ISS Pro Evolution 2: Changed the step-over feint direction; 8-direction turns while running again; gameplay enhancements; master league tweaks; send keeper out to face the striker-button added. 8-player gameplay added.
Pro Evolution Soccer (PS2): Graphics engine; gameplay tweaks; Three division Master League.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2: Graphics engine again; manual passing; gameplay enhancements;
Pro Evolution Soccer 3: New graphics engine; loads of clubs added; Master League structure changed; Gameplay changed; Replays almost whenever you want; chip shot with R1 added; 3rd-person view added.
Pro Evolution Soccer 4: Loads of animations were added; two-player to score a free-kick if called. Some licenses.
Pro Evolution Soccer 5: Network galore! Gameplay improvements; Licenses updated and added.
Pro Evolution Soccer 6: Network improvements; PS2 and PSP connectivity; Licenses updated and added; gameplay tweaks;

Mauras's comment is pure class :mrgreen: But it also shows the way I always feel about PES when I try to describe the changes in a version... "It looks the same, but it feels different... I can't describe it, you just have to play it.". And so it stays, it's true: you have to play a game to understand all the effort that has been put into it. I can't tell a difference between the graphics of WE7 and PES6... :roll: (well, WE7 had antialias in the replay camera which I found great, too bad they have been reducing it in the latter versions :( ).

I don't really see what's all the fuss about... You people are just getting greedier by the minute! Konami doesn't OWE you anything. If you like it, you buy it. They are not slowing down - they're doing what they have always done - gradually improving the product. I admit that some of you might be disappointed because of creating higher expectations, but come on people: there's a lot of differences between expectations Konami creates for you and expectations you create for yourself. I read, a month ago, that Seabass was saying that probably the PS2 to PSP Master League would have to be postponed because of their schedules and budget, so I was not counting on it this year - and, until I see it, I'm still not conunting ;) Nonetheless, if they manage it, it does mean that they surpassed the expectations they had created for us... So you didn't like the BETA VERSION YOU ILLEGALLY GOT YOUR HANDS ON? Either do as most people do every year, and let it grow into you, or don't complain since: a) it's a beta, and b) you haven't spent a thing to get it.

What I know is that by the 27th, I'll have a new game stuck inside my PS2 ;)

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

Re: Drekkard review (with some anger right now)

airjoca said:
You do realize, you're not "supposed" to be playing WE10...? "Normal" people only play the PES games. I bet the Japonese only play the WE's.

From PES5 to PES6 the differences are quite a lot.

Exactly.

pjft said:
Hi.

...I tend no to let myself into these arguments since I always feel they nowhere... It's just "that time of the season".

Nonetheless, some people do say a lot of smart stuff herem and I wish that you all would read it and think about it.

Here in Europe they only release PES - 3, 4, 5, 6, you name it. In Japan, they release WEx, then J-WE, then Final evolution and stuff... If you, here in europe, decide to get your hands on the Japanese version, you should take it as a preview copy of your European version, not as a new release Konami uses to get your money... Furthermore, I say with all confidence that 90% of the people who play these Japanese versions do NOT buy them at all, so I stand that you have no right whatsoever to complain about the minor changes from WE10 to PES6, and even less right to say that you shall not be wasting another penny on it - if you ever planned to buy it at all from the first place. (Yes, I do know that there are 10% who actually buy it, JackBauer and the rest ;) ). I, for once, admit: I DO NOT buy the Japanese versions. I buy the European releases on the day of release - I have a gallery of pictures in the PES site I mod in, with pictures of me with the original CD cases, manuals and CDs/DVDs, since ISS Pro in the PSOne (and I'm counting only KCET games, 'cause I own some of the KCEO ones too, the first ones specially). And last year I bought PES5 for my PS2 and PSP, and this year I'll do it again - unless the PSP version turns out to be just hype (I have high hopes for it, though) - and who knows, I might even buy an X360 if the game proves worthy.

The second thing is: they should do something major each version - and hell, they do. So many of us insulted Konami for delaying the Network Options for the PS2. Well, they got it for you. Then, many of you craved for an online Master League. It seems it's in this year - don't know how it will be, but we'll see - and not only that, you get to play 4vs4 online, PS2 vs PC (don't know that many games who can brag about this in particular), and you can - at least, according to the PSM3 preview - transfer your ML from the PS2 to the PSP. Great news! What? you don't play online and don't have a PSP? Well, online doesn't turn me on that much really, so what are you left with? A game with some gameplay tweaks from PES5, International Mode and Random Selection Match. What's so bad about it? If you let me, I'll make a slight draft of the changes between the versions:

ISS Pro -> ISS Pro 98 : new graphics engine, aired through ball, step-over feint, more tactics options; gameplay enhancements.
ISS Pro Evolution 1: Master League, and some clubs, fake-shot feint JUST to one side, the "let the ball pass through the legs" simulation, 16-direction turns while running; gameplay enhancements.
ISS Pro Evolution 2: Changed the step-over feint direction; 8-direction turns while running again; gameplay enhancements; master league tweaks; send keeper out to face the striker-button added. 8-player gameplay added.
Pro Evolution Soccer (PS2): Graphics engine; gameplay tweaks; Three division Master League.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2: Graphics engine again; manual passing; gameplay enhancements;
Pro Evolution Soccer 3: New graphics engine; loads of clubs added; Master League structure changed; Gameplay changed; Replays almost whenever you want; chip shot with R1 added; 3rd-person view added.
Pro Evolution Soccer 4: Loads of animations were added; two-player to score a free-kick if called. Some licenses.
Pro Evolution Soccer 5: Network galore! Gameplay improvements; Licenses updated and added.
Pro Evolution Soccer 6: Network improvements; PS2 and PSP connectivity; Licenses updated and added; gameplay tweaks;

Mauras's comment is pure class :mrgreen: But it also shows the way I always feel about PES when I try to describe the changes in a version... "It looks the same, but it feels different... I can't describe it, you just have to play it.". And so it stays, it's true: you have to play a game to understand all the effort that has been put into it. I can't tell a difference between the graphics of WE7 and PES6... :roll: (well, WE7 had antialias in the replay camera which I found great, too bad they have been reducing it in the latter versions :( ).

I don't really see what's all the fuss about... You people are just getting greedier by the minute! Konami doesn't OWE you anything. If you like it, you buy it. They are not slowing down - they're doing what they have always done - gradually improving the product. I admit that some of you might be disappointed because of creating higher expectations, but come on people: there's a lot of differences between expectations Konami creates for you and expectations you create for yourself. I read, a month ago, that Seabass was saying that probably the PS2 to PSP Master League would have to be postponed because of their schedules and budget, so I was not counting on it this year - and, until I see it, I'm still not conunting ;) Nonetheless, if they manage it, it does mean that they surpassed the expectations they had created for us... So you didn't like the BETA VERSION YOU ILLEGALLY GOT YOUR HANDS ON? Either do as most people do every year, and let it grow into you, or don't complain since: a) it's a beta, and b) you haven't spent a thing to get it.

What I know is that by the 27th, I'll have a new game stuck inside my PS2 ;)

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

Great post mate :applause: And i agree with pretty much all the stuff you are saying.

I remember back in the PSX days going ISSPro 1, to ISSpro 2. Me and a mate were very good at 1, but when we got 2 we suddenly couldnt play like we were used to, the game looked the same but you really had to differently, but offcourse we didnt know thatand thought the game was crap, haha. So we went back to part 1 for awhile, but after some weeks i decided to have another go at 2 and after a while it suddenly clicked and I figuered out how to play the game, and had the best time ever with it. Just to think we were happy with a 16 team ML back then heheh :D

But I think the thing that is annoying most people with Konami is they tend to take stuff out of the game and put it back in the next year (remember with the hooped kits ;) ) And after so many years they havent improved fundamental stuff like commentary, crowd noise and using the ML to its full potential (we have 6 full leagues, so why cant we use them all fully???) stuff like that just puzzles many, and makes us dislike the game, while still loving it in the back of our mind.

Hi mate,

sorry to be pedantic :) but in PES there were still only 2 ML divisions, the 3rd (8 team division) was added in PES2

Also i had a feeling the massive team update was in PES4 but i could of course be talking ballacks!

another couple of gems that also illustrate the point your making is that West Ham were still in the game whilst a First Division side, and Fiorentina were still in it whilst effectively no longer existing!

db

why is everyone complain about this game i dont have it now but im sure that i gone get it and i think that it will be another great game witt much updates+beter graphics and much new faces and licenses with united making there debut als lincensed team+the benabeu stadium so it couldnt be bether so guys stop complain about it if you dont like it go the the shop and buy fifa 07 that f*king game instead of complaining like little childs

Why change what aint broke?

PES gameplay is far superior to the other footballing games on the market, and if Konami did change the gameplay drastically just to
make you feel like your hard earned cash is not wasted, then half
of the folk on this board would be moaning "Why did they change this"
and "why did they change that".

The gameplay of PES6 is not drastically different from WE 10, but
its different enough.

Konami have allegedly improved the online features of the game which
to be honest is what PES is all about, playing against other humans.

Master league - who cares, though now it is online it might be not
bad.

Just my tuppence worth.

Shooto

Back
Top Bottom