PFA Player Of the Year Nominees

embraceuk1

Original Member Since 2001
30 December 2001
Indiana USA (Scottish)
Nottingham Forest
Some of the biggest names in the professional game are in the hunt for the Player of the Year award, after the PFA confirmed the shorlist for the prestigious accolade.

After Thierry Henry had collected the Premiership award in both 2003 and 2004, and Chelsea's defensive star John Terry was the 2005 recipient, last year belonged to Liverpool talisman Steven Gerrard.

Whoever wins this year's title will certainly be following in some very illustrious footsteps as, in addition to Henry, Terry and Gerrard, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Teddy Sheringham and Roy Keane are recent winners.

The list of this season's noiminees reads like a who's who of international football - and Cristiano Ronaldo will certainly be among the favourites having been a shining light for Manchester United.

Didier Drogba, Cesc Fabregas, Steven Gerrard, Ryan Giggs, and Paul Scholes are also in the running and it is sure to be a close run thing

The whole list is a complete joke.
Francesc Fabregas:
Over 40 appearences this season 3 goals 1 in the premiership. But you cant tell anyone this. Would always play Rosicky ahead of him but even Arsenal fans dont relise how much better they play when Rosickys on the field.

Gerrard:
Again shows it doesnt matter how little he does in a season he will always be ahead of Lampard in the Lampard vrs Gerrard bull and will always be overrated.

Wheres Berbatov, Nolan, Essien, Carragher etc etc but guess they forgot the smaller clubs or the lesser known first team players who are CONSISTANT.

Francesc Fabregas:
Over 40 appearences this season 3 goals 1 in the premiership. But you cant tell anyone this. Would always play Rosicky ahead of him but even Arsenal fans dont relise how much better they play when Rosickys on the field.

Gerrard:
Again shows it doesnt matter how little he does in a season he will always be ahead of Lampard in the Lampard vrs Gerrard bull and will always be overrated.

Wheres Berbatov, Nolan, Essien, Carragher etc etc but guess they forgot the smaller clubs or the lesser known first team players who are CONSISTANT.

Whilst I think that Fabregas is overrated, he has done a lot on the pitch this year.
Fabregas has played better than Lampard but without the goals.
But so often the goals mask many of Lampard's shortcomings.

Gerrard is a class above Lampard and has been better this season too and you also have to bear in mind he has played in about 4 different positions for Liverpool unlike Lampard who, as usual, sits in his perfectly tailored comfort zone at Chelsea.

I agree Nolan should get more acclaim, but you talk about consistency and then mention Berbatov?!
He was nowhere to be seen for the first couple of months of the season and has been very average for the last month.

Gerrard is currently in sixth place on the player of the year poll on the official Liverpool site.
The last two seasons liverpool fans have called radio stations asking for him to be sold etc but both seasons he managed to score in cup finals and was then instantly back to world calss again.
This season he hasnt assisted or scored goals to the ammount required surly for PFA player headings.

Francesc Fabregas:

Gerrard:

holly shit dude, are you serious? How many assists does Fabregas have? 10.... which is pretty good. Im sure arsenal fans also realize they play alot better when two time winner henry is in there... i think your way off on you cesc opinon... i think they guy is awesome, also he is only 19....

Gerrard is currently in sixth place on the player of the year poll on the official Liverpool site.
The last two seasons liverpool fans have called radio stations asking for him to be sold etc but both seasons he managed to score in cup finals and was then instantly back to world calss again.
This season he hasnt assisted or scored goals to the ammount required surly for PFA player headings.

Mate, that is selective sourcing at its worst there.

Gerrard is everything good about Liverpool and if some posters on an official site say he is 6th then fair enough.
But can you honestly name 5 players that have had better seasons than Gerrard? No chance.

Lampard has scored a fair few goals more than Gerrard, but considering the team and role he plays in he should do.
I lay my money that Gerrards goals/shots ratio is better than Lampard's.
As I say, goals hide a lot and Gerrard has set up about the same amount I would say.

I am certainly not a sucker for stats as I think they are the biggest crock of shit going.
Gerrard's all round game has been far better in my opinion.
To player of the year standard yet again.

I don't even know why we are having this debate anyway, as I agree that it should be C. Ronaldo by so far it's not even funny.

A few may remember some of my posts on him over past years and that I was never a fan. I compared him to Denilson and said he had all the ability but no end product.
I thought that was a fair comparison.

But boy has he proved me wrong....I was unsure as to whether he could make that step up, but now he is now just phenomenal.
Best player in the world at the moment and I never thought I'd hear myself say that.
(Or indeed see myself type it :D ;) )

Ronaldo without doubt:applause: he has been fantastic so far
but this list is a JOKE!!!!where are the likes of Essien,carragher or even kolo Touré??if a liverpool player really deserved to be in this list it's carragher
anyway i read above gerrard is better than lamps because he's more versatile,RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!so essien can play cm,rb,md or even cb does it make him a better player than Gerrard??i don't think so...player of the year it's about consistency, no because you scored a wonderful goal one time etc...

Last edited:
Ronaldo without doubt:applause: he has been fantastic so far
but this list is a JOKE!!!!where are the likes of Essien,carragher or even kolo Touré??if a liverpool player really deserved to be in this list it's carragher
anyway i read above gerrard is better than lamps because he's more versatile,RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!so essien can play cm,rb,md or even cb does it make him a better player than Gerrard??i don't think so...player of the year it's about consistancy, no because you scored a wonderful goal one time etc...

essien has been hurt alot.... hey man i think essien is better the gerrard, at least he is more consitent..

Essien's dirty reputation hides how great his ability is. Very underrated player. I'd take him at United any day.

anyway i read above gerrard is better than lamps because he's more versatile,RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!

Erm... no you never.

You read that Gerrard has been consistently better than Lampard and that he deserves that extra bit of credit for doing it in a different range of positions.

Also the role that is tailor made for Lampard means he scores more goals, which cover up many more faults in his game.
You have to have that extra class to play the variety of roles Gerrard has done and to that success.
Lampard hasn't got that class.

so essien can play cm,rb,md or even cb does it make him a better player than Gerrard??i don't think so...

Nor do I... you certainly are ranting over nothing here :lol:

player of the year it's about consistency, no because you scored a wonderful goal one time etc...

Exactly, which is why Gerrard has consistently played better football than Lampard and not relied on scoring goals that deflect off his mum's, mate's, hairdresser's, dog's, dinner bowl.

Last edited:
By far: Cristiano Ronaldo

No doubt!

By a country mile m8, not even worth debating. The only one close is Drogba who has been a goal scoring machine for Chelsea this season. Even if Chelsea won the title Id still hope Ronaldo gets it, he has been sensational this season, a player doubted my many has shown his worth this season.

Definitely C. Ronaldo. He should get the young player award as well, because if he doesn't and he get's the senior player of the year it's a bit stupid really

As for Gerrard, he shouldn't be near it. If he was as good as people say, Liverpool would have won the league. He is at his peak and isn't a patch on what Roy Keane was. Closest to Keane is Essien and he'll never be chosen over golden boy Gerrard.

Official PremierLeague stats:

Most assists
1 Ronaldo (Man Utd) 13
2 Fabregas Soler (Arsenal) 10
4 Lampard (Chelsea) 9
5 Rooney (Man Utd) 9
6 Berbatov (Tottenham) 7
8 Gerrard (Liverpool) 7

Shots on target/goals (excl. pens)
1 Drogba (Chelsea) 41/18
2 Ronaldo (Man Utd) 73/14
3 Rooney (Man Utd) 47/12
22 Lampard (Chelsea) 58/8
45 Gerrard (Liverpool) 36/5

Goals
1 Drogba 18
2 Ronaldo 16
4 Rooney 12
9 Lampard 11
47 Gerrard 5

Says it all really :).

Exactly, which is why Gerrard has consistently played better football than Lampard

where have you seen gerrard has played better than Lamps this season?Stat?(i don't think just look the stats @Embraceuk posted)
anything else??
But don't misunderstand me i'm not saying lamps is better than S.G (gerrard is definitely a better player)but this season he has been by far a the best

ps as T.Henry uses to say stats don't lie

Official PremierLeague stats:

Most assists
1 Ronaldo (Man Utd) 13
2 Fabregas Soler (Arsenal) 10
4 Lampard (Chelsea) 9
5 Rooney (Man Utd) 9
6 Berbatov (Tottenham) 7
8 Gerrard (Liverpool) 7
2 more assists.... that could change in 1 game

Shots on target/goals (excl. pens)
1 Drogba (Chelsea) 41/18
2 Ronaldo (Man Utd) 73/14
3 Rooney (Man Utd) 47/12
22 Lampard (Chelsea) 58/8
45 Gerrard (Liverpool) 36/5
This stat works in favour of Gerrard as he has a shot to goal ratio of 7.2 compared to Lampard's 7.25.
Goals
1 Drogba 18
2 Ronaldo 16
4 Rooney 12
9 Lampard 11
47 Gerrard 5
Ok, Lampard has scored more goals, but like I have already said, he should score more goals considering the position he has played in!

Says it all really :).

Not really mate.

where have you seen gerrard has played better than Lamps this season?
Simply for performances.
It is contradicting because stats are being used for the argument for Lampard v Gerrard yet Michael Essien gets mentioned despite being behind Gerrard in every stat that has been used to argue in Lampard's defence.

Assists:
Essien 3
Gerrard 7

Goals:
Essien 1
Gerrard 5

Shot to goal ratio:
Gerrard 7.2
Essien 17 :shock:

Very much works against the argument about stats if some choose to claim Essien as having a better season than Gerrard.

ps as T.Henry uses to say stats don't lie

Stats are the biggest fraud and is a mugs game.
So according to the stats...Bobby Zamora has had a better season than Peter Crouch?!! :lol:

Carvalho deserves a mention, at least.
For player of the year?? I have to disagree massively there mate.
And Alain... Dawson?!! :shock:

As for Gerrard, he shouldn't be near it. If he was as good as people say, Liverpool would have won the league.
That's nonsense.
What about the year he dragged them to the CL final and was the best player in the country, yet Liverpool still struggled domestically?
Also, you have to consider the squads they play in... Lampard plays in a team that is far superior to Gerrard.
Read the same for Fabregas.

He is at his peak and isn't a patch on what Roy Keane was. Closest to Keane is Essien and he'll never be chosen over golden boy Gerrard.

Have to disagree there.
Keane and Gerrard had different roles.
Gerrard is the driving force behind practically everything good about Liverpool.
Yes Keane was an amazing player, but a lot of his role was to allow Scholes, Becham and Giggs to play, whereas Gerrard's role is more hands on and he has much more of an all round role and more to his game.

Not saying Gerrard was better or vice versa, just different.
It's hard to compare due to different postions and different teams.

It's not about stats or goals all the time.
I have made my opinion on seeing plenty and plenty of each of these players throughout the season and also live at games home and away.
Gerrard for me hasn't been the rip roaring success like we have come to known, but his all round game has always been consistent.
It's not just goals and assists, but breaking up play, winning headers, creating a pass which wouldn't be considered an 'assist' etc etc... and with that in mind, for me Gerrard deserves to be in there again.
fwiw, I think Lampard should be in there too as he has had a very good season too, but one which again has been highlighted for his goals he has scored in a very fortunate role.

Yes the stats don't lie when we ask 'who won the league' or 'who was the top scorer', but it is wrong to rely on stats.
A perfect example would be to say striker A had a better season than striker B because he scored 25 goals and striker B scored 15 goals.
What the stats don't tell you is that striker A scored 20 penalties.

I agree about Nolan btw... always gets underrated and this season Arteta is another player who has had a cracking season with very little praise.

Last edited:
Ronaldo best in world, says Terry

John Terry has hailed Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player in the world after his Professional Footballers' Association double award nomination.

Terry has backed Ronaldo - up for both young player and player of the year - even though his Chelsea club-mate Didier Drogba has also been nominated.

"I could watch United just to watch him. He does things no-one else in the world is doing at the minute," he said.

"He's the best in the world. At his best, not many people can stop him."

As well as his skill, Terry said he admired the Portuguese's personality for the way he handled the backlash against him after his team put England out of the World Cup last summer.

"It was understandable after knocking us out of the World Cup, but he has done all his talking on the pitch," said Terry.

Says it all really.

By a country mile m8, not even worth debating. The only one close is Drogba who has been a goal scoring machine for Chelsea this season. Even if Chelsea won the title Id still hope Ronaldo gets it, he has been sensational this season, a player doubted my many has shown his worth this season.

Yeah, Drogba this year was also fantastic. He saved many times Chelsea from draws and defeats, Mourinho should be thankful to him. But for me and for many others Ronaldo is the "cheery of the cake", he assists, score goals, lead the team, organize the counter-attack and also give a football show to a 76.000 supporters who came to Old Trafford to see him.

P.S.: I don't know what the hell is not Jimmy Carragher and Ricardo Carvalho in that list, neither in the past years, they also provide securaty and stability to their teams. It's really unfair.

Id still hope Ronaldo gets it, he has been sensational this season, a player doubted by many has shown his worth this season.

Well see, I hate comments like that. He wasn't doubted, he was rightly categorised as a one-dimensional player before this season. He was rightly mocked for doing stepovers while the defender was waiting in perfect position.

It's only this season that he's put it together with lethal passing and finishing. So indeed, he's been the best. But this worth, you speak of, has shown exactly this season. It wasn't there last season, and he's proven nobody wrong about last season or the years before that. He's just raised his game dramatically.

To be honest, and I'm showing some bias here, I'm still rooting for Drogba to win it simply because he's been like a force of nature, just irresistible. I remember he had a spell in November, where he scored in about 6 straight games.

You know what's funny about this player of the year debate though? The two frontrunners were both last season berated for being awful divers and bringing the game down with their faking and whinging. So.. has the English game made them better players by toughening them up and making them work for everything instead of settling for a good old dive?

This award belongs to Christiano.

Ronaldo's two goals away from Drogbas 18 in premiership goals, it's looking like the winger might surpass that.

Last edited:
Well see, I hate comments like that. He wasn't doubted, he was rightly categorised as a one-dimensional player before this season. He was rightly mocked for doing stepovers while the defender was waiting in perfect position.

It's only this season that he's put it together with lethal passing and finishing. So indeed, he's been the best. But this worth, you speak of, has shown exactly this season. It wasn't there last season, and he's proven nobody wrong about last season or the years before that. He's just raised his game dramatically.

I hate replays like that trying to make something sound different yet produce an answer with argumentative basis in it.

When he was mocked was he not doubted? You don't mock someone you have faith in do you?

I'm not saying the whole world doubted him as a player just his ability to step up and be come a world class player with end product to add to his infinite step overs. For me that is some level of doubt.

To be honest, and I'm showing some bias here, I'm still rooting for Drogba to win it simply because he's been like a force of nature, just irresistible. I remember he had a spell in November, where he scored in about 6 straight games.

You know what's funny about this player of the year debate though? The two frontrunners were both last season berated for being awful divers and bringing the game down with their faking and whinging. So.. has the English game made them better players by toughening them up and making them work for everything instead of settling for a good old dive?
i disagree, he had some good games in the previous years, he could just never put them together over a course of one season, i remember when he scored two goals at highbury, and other great complete games he played. He has been more consistent this year, but your typing as if he was complete shit for the last two years

Back
Top Bottom