• Note for new users: Please keep your posts English or we will delete them. There's a "No English?" area in our Editing discussion forum for those who prefer writing in their native language.

PGA Tour 2K21 [PS4/XB1/PC]

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
Tranmere Rovers
this:
sorry if my bad english put my on the wrong way.
Oh, he's been invited to the preview event, as a streamer. He's a part of this:

But he's not played it yet as far as I know, and he's certainly not a dev or anything.

He may get to put a few vids up but he's not an EA-style "gamechanger" or anything like that. If anything, HB Studios have shown they don't listen to the fans, so it's just promo stuff. I won't believe anything about the game until I've played it myself.

I went and pre-ordered last night because I've really enjoyed playing TGC Tours the last month or two. There's so much I really hate about it (the greens being like frozen ponds for one - and the ridiculous scoring you see online)... but it's the only golf game in town, so...

rojofa

Championship
15 September 2017
The graphics of this series are some of the ugliest and most unoptimised garbage I have seen in a AAA sports game. Everything looks like some indie developer's first attempt at making something in Unity. Shitty generic assets (trees and foliage look terrible), bad lighting (look at the roof at 1:12-1:14 of the last video), mannequin looking humans, robotic crowd poses/animations, shitty flat water with no transparency etc... Yet still the GPU temps and framerates are awful compared to games that look 10x better.

Suppose I might pick it up in a few years if it goes under a fiver and the gameplay is decent, but it doesn't look like there's much added to make it worth upgrading from the last one.

PRO_TOO

Team Heffernan
25 May 2003
Rego Park, Germany
Team Heffernan
The graphics of this series are some of the ugliest and most unoptimised garbage I have seen in a AAA sports game. Everything looks like some indie developer's first attempt at making something in Unity. Shitty generic assets (trees and foliage look terrible), bad lighting (look at the roof at 1:12-1:14 of the last video), mannequin looking humans, robotic crowd poses/animations, shitty flat water with no transparency etc... Yet still the GPU temps and framerates are awful compared to games that look 10x better.

Suppose I might pick it up in a few years if it goes under a fiver and the gameplay is decent, but it doesn't look like there's much added to make it worth upgrading from the last one.
yeah. sad!!
i'm not buying any more sports games for this generation! i can easily wait till the first real next gen versions (graphics and gameplay!) arrive. football, golf, basketball, ice hockey, baseball, football, MMA... bring it on! :)

rojofa

Championship
15 September 2017
yeah. sad!!
i'm not buying any more sports games for this generation! i can easily wait till the first real next gen versions (graphics and gameplay!) arrive. football, golf, basketball, ice hockey, baseball, football, MMA... bring it on! :)
Bad developers will still make bad looking (and playing) games though, I don't think TGC's shitty graphics are because of the XB1/PS4 hardware. Just Cause 2 from 10 years ago has nicer looking water and trees.

I'm hopeful that some of the big studios will take advantage of new technology for the new consoles, but some of the smaller studios who make sports games (HB Studios, Big Ant etc.) will probably create games with the exact same kind of gameplay and visuals but just rendered in 4K and/or (probably or) 60FPS.

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
Tranmere Rovers
According to a few guys on the official HB Studios forum, the official PGA Tour 2K21 account posted a video earlier which has now been pulled.

In that video, there was a screenshot that seems to show real PGA players on the PGA leaderboards - no more fakes...

(And your name isn't forced to be your gamertag any more - in the career mode at least.)

In other news, it's been announced by the senior game designer (after the leak in the below article) that there are six difficulty modes. Quote from the guy (from the above forum):
The difficulty levels from easiest to hardest are Beginner, Amateur, Pro-Am, Pro, Master, and Legend.

And in response to the studio head saying "I would be very surprised if anyone breaks par on day one" a while ago, in response to difficulty concerns:
The "won't break par day one" comment was regarding the Legend difficulty. I honestly do not recommend anyone starting off on Legend... I also know that won't stop some of you... But you really all should take some time at Pro to get a feel for the game before diving headlong into the harder difficulties...

With the good news comes some bad news... Seems that (once again) most of the career mode courses are fantasy courses which can't be swapped out for the real ones, which are available from the community designers. What a stupid thing - having the real courses available, but not being able to put them into the career mode. How hard would that be (and yes, it's probably licensing reasons, but even so, it's so frustrating).

SOURCE: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-2k21-courses

Gunslinger

Championship
5 September 2016
I used to love golf videogames. Links series on PC, Tiger Woods on the PS2. TGC 2 did nothing for me though. This doesn't look much better.🙁

PRO_TOO

Team Heffernan
25 May 2003
Rego Park, Germany
Team Heffernan
This was the first video I watched, and I actually really like the look of it!

What I always like is showing the difficulty settings first (In game settings at all), and what I like as well is the multiplier you will get when you turn off the aids.

what are you thinking about the hook/slice story seemingly to be continued in regards to slow and fast swings?

The graphics do you look like a minor improvement!

Last edited:
Top Bottom