PGA Tour 2K21 [PS4/XB1/PC]

Can’t wait for the first golfing game of the next generation!!
i could think of so many stuff improving....
Same for all other sports games.

Anyway, the future is bright!! :)

Have a good weekend y’all!!

• Staff
Can’t wait for the first golfing game of the next generation!!
i could think of so many stuff improving....
Same for all other sports games.

Anyway, the future is bright!! :)

Have a good weekend y’all!!
Looking at the trailer, I really don't think it is. It looks absolutely identical, except for cosmetic additions, like branded equipment.

From what I've read, it'll feature actual PGA golfers too. Which is nice, but, I'd rather gameplay was better. It's like a new PES trailer where they show gameplay and the thing they talk about is that e.g. Tottenham are licensed this year. Don't care.

Looking at the trailer, I really don't think it is. It looks absolutely identical, except for cosmetic additions, like branded equipment.

From what I've read, it'll feature actual PGA golfers too. Which is nice, but, I'd rather gameplay was better. It's like a new PES trailer where they show gameplay and the thing they talk about is that e.g. Tottenham are licensed this year. Don't care.
Ah ah aaaah...i meant next gen. Like on PS5 in September 2021 (the earliest). ;)

And yes, you nailed it; game f’in play first!!!

I could Big Bertha the hell outta that topic...
But as I’m lazy, why not have the “out of bounds interviews”?! 😉

Edit: definitely we need some new pods!!

• Staff
I really, really, really hate to sound like an entitled gamer arsehole - truly. It's the thing I hate most about the hobby I love so much.

So forgive me when I say this (and know it comes from a place of being a huge football/golf gamer and very little interest in any other games)...

...I really don't like the look of this.

The trailers and general feel of the game has gone from "golf simulation" to "FUNKY, FUN, HANG OUT WITH YOUR DUDE-BROS!" Just like PES is trying to copy FIFA and be an all-singing all-dancing fun-fest that represents nothing real any more.

There was a fear on the official forums that by taking 2K's money, they would turn the game into exactly that - a microtransaction-filled fun-fest. On first glance (and yes it's just a trailer, but it tells you the direction they're taking), I think they're probably right.

The player graphics are dreadful - the animations are SO janky. The swings look identical. I would bet gameplay is identical.

The investment seems to have gone into licensing 12 players (which is frankly paltry, even though I understand that licensing each player individually is difficult and costly - why not give us a player creator so we can fill in the gaps like we can with the course creator)...

No investment seems to have gone into the important stuff.

It seems like they've "sold out" to me, so I'm gutted (in their defence, I don't think they sell many copies, so they could argue that this "glitz and glamour" is to attract more purchases, the money from which can then ensure they keep updating the gameplay - but that argument falls to bits if the gameplay turns out to be the same).

@Chris Davies I assume they are still ignoring the PC for PGA Tour in which case it's irrelevant for me, but I completely get where you are coming from and agree 100%. Games seem to be going the way of general tv, rinse and repeat of the same old shit. Instead of money earned from phone in voting in yet another pointless tv show, it's grab you crash from DLC's.

I really miss the old days of loads and loads of games companies each carving out their own niche. Now it seems like a few big one's are just churning out 'franchises' (a horrible word in gaming) and putting out half a game to add dlc's to later on.

@Chris Davies I assume they are still ignoring the PC for PGA Tour in which case it's irrelevant for me, but I completely get where you are coming from and agree 100%. Games seem to be going the way of general tv, rinse and repeat of the same old shit. Instead of money earned from phone in voting in yet another pointless tv show, it's grab you crash from DLC's.

I really miss the old days of loads and loads of games companies each carving out their own niche. Now it seems like a few big one's are just churning out 'franchises' (a horrible word in gaming) and putting out half a game to add dlc's to later on.

It's been on the PC for a while now. I've been playing since TGC1, but in terms of PGA, just started in the TGC 2019 game.

@Chris Davies - I can sense the same fear. However, I do feel that the relationship with tgctours will help, but I don't think it's going to take priority over the masses.

In some respects, this is the first time the game has looked this way. It does kind of sell out HB, but at the same time, it's also a culmination of really hard work and community interaction. Knowing the guys over at HB, they are a solid bunch and I doubt they will just settle for another year of the same old mechanics, etc. We'll just have to see what happens in the next couple of months. Regardless, I am extremely excited to see any kind of new golf game, let alone a series that has been part of my digital world for a number of years.

Well... let’s say: I’m not swept of my feet.

May better be waiting for next gen golfing.
If this doesn't sell well, I'm not sure there WILL be a next gen golf game. Golf games don't make much money.

I have noticed that HB Studios are advertising for a senior producer and programmers, though - which is making me wonder if someone has walked out on them...

In all honesty I think the presentation looks pretty nice. The graphics on the licensed players are HILARIOUS, admittedly. Considering that they're licensed and they all look like generic PES faces. Oh look everyone, it's Tyger Goods! Teeing up next to Bill Tickleson.

The gameplay is scaring me a bit, in terms of how easy it looks. On the official forum, a dev has posted to say "of course it looks easy, it's a gameplay teaser, if the shots were bad it would make the game look boring". I entirely disagree, but what can you do.

i found these trailers (watched them again last night) quite underwhelming, really.
the graphics are acceptable but nothing i was hoping for (cardbox audience that doesnt move, some textures that look PS3, ...). the PGA roster included is very very sparse (i like "your idea" @Chris Davies , lets have all real players with funny fake names, at least that would make me smile). btw, did i ever told the stories of Ty Neadik, a professional basketball player in my nba2k17 save!? :LOL:
i wish i could have seen some swing mechanics. i dont play that click meter thingy! i want to see more gameplay overall!!! but this game looks kinda dated these days... like a 2k polishing update!

i have hope for the customization options and presentation (commentary, cam movement). I always have to think NBA2k! i have to see more... currently id not buy it!

Last edited:
So it looks like you still play golf by yourself - ie. you don't see the cpu opponents play their shots?

Ignoring any of the actual gameplay mechanics, which are not exactly vast or sophisticated, I would want to at least feel that I was taking part in a professional golf tournament, so the presentation and atmosphere elements of the game are vital, and seeing the other players is a vital part of that. This still looks like its just you against a scoreboard.

I don't really care about having a small handful of "licensed" players - I'd much sooner have a decent editor where you can create your own cpu players, both in terms of looks and stats. And the ability to play something that resembles the real golf calendar, with majors and the ryder cup (with fake names) to look forward to. The brilliant course creator tool would enable the community to create versions of the courses, so just a custom tour/calendar tool is required to create proper seasons.

As someone who has rarely played golf games in the past 20 years, to me, this just looks like a bog standard computer golf game from the 1990s, where you just play soulless hole after hole, but with modern gfx (and the excellent course selection from the community - assuming that's still in it).

So it looks like you still play golf by yourself - ie. you don't see the cpu opponents play their shots?
From what I understand, you do have a playing partner now - which could potentially only ever be one of the licensed players, which would be shit - but instead of seeing every shot they hit, you just see their "big moments". So you'll finish up a hole and you'll get a "this just in" style update of them five holes ahead of you holing a birdie putt.

It's SOMETHING, but I completely agree with you. I think they (like all sports games devs) are going "look at what modern gamers want, they don't want to spend two hours playing a game and watching someone else hit shots". Even when you play online, you can switch "turn order" off and you just see the ghost of your opponent's ball as you play, so that you don't have to wait for them to hit shots.

Ignoring any of the actual gameplay mechanics, which are not exactly vast or sophisticated...
In their defence, the gameplay of TGC 2019 is the most sim-like golf experience I've played. The ball physics can be ridiculous (the greens are like glass on some courses and it can lead to farcical situations where you literally have to hit a 4ft x 4ft area on each green or you'll just roll down a hill)... But other than that, you've got to keep the same tempo with your stick movement, there is no power guide to help you out, the aiming reticule is where the ball would hit on a 100% shot (and not where it would roll out to)...

Credit to them for making a sim, even though everything else about 2019 is old-PES-level horrendous.

My biggest fear is that, looking at this 2K21 promotional material... They might be about to roll back all that sim stuff, to make moolah.

The promo material is on the lowest difficulty settings, of course... But you can now see how much power you're applying as you swing (so you know when to stop), and a shot path shows you exactly where your shaped shots are going to go. Even on the lowest difficulty, that wasn't the case in 2019.

And online, their philosophy is "everyone should be able to play together, with whatever difficulty settings they like" - so trying to avoid these guys who will be getting -20 per round could prove to be a nightmare. The equivalent of playing PES/FIFA on manual, and having to play against a 10-year-old on steroids with the reflexes of a robot and the Godlike stat boosts of the AI, with no escaping them.

I don't really care about having a small handful of "licensed" players - I'd much sooner have a decent editor where you can create your own cpu players, both in terms of looks and stats.
This is what I begged for last year. There's a player editor, where you can rename all the names on every leaderboard (from Q-School to PGA Tour) and change their nationalities - but you can't edit their stats. Behind the scenes, certain players are better than others overall, but you can't even see that in order to rename people to relevant players of similar overall ability from real-life.

Really hope that's changed this year. Along with, you couldn't give your own player a name - so leaderboards would always look like:
"T. Woods, -14, P. Mickleson, -12, xxGaMeRdUdExx, -10"...

And the ability to play something that resembles the real golf calendar, with majors and the ryder cup (with fake names) to look forward to.
In fairness, there is a "create your own season" mode which includes majors, and they've confirmed is still in there, and you can pick from all the community courses (including real-world recreations). But you can't have all the bells and whistles of the Q-School etc. if you do that. On the flip-side, you can't edit the official PGA career mode's calendar - so you've got to play on their frankly shitty generic courses for half the events...

(and the excellent course selection from the community - assuming that's still in it)
The editor has been confirmed to still be in the game. I'm not sure what will happen with real-world courses, though - they went on a deleting spree not so long ago, deleting every course that had the word "Augusta" in it. That may have just been a single "cease and desist", but... You never know.

Frankly, I don't know how they get away with having the PGA license, and then filling the game with unlicensed real courses. Why don't the PGA have a problem with that?!

In fairness, there is a "create your own season" mode which includes majors, and they've confirmed is still in there, and you can pick from all the community courses (including real-world recreations). But you can't have all the bells and whistles of the Q-School etc. if you do that. On the flip-side, you can't edit the official PGA career mode's calendar - so you've got to play on their frankly shitty generic courses for half the events...

Didn't even notice that was already in the game. I think I started a career and got about 3 holes into the first round of the first tournament and found it so unimmersive that I just quit.

I've only played a few rounds since, against uploaded "ghost" rounds, where you do actually see the other players' shots - it is actually a really cool feature.

I hope it still stays to its Sim-like gameplay, I have played 2019 alot with my mates and all love it. Ive had some horror rounds, but id rather that then it be super easy, and it makes really good shots feel really rewarding. The gameplay trailer worried me, it looks a bit easy, but then again im sure the developers play the game a lot. would of seen a good load of 3 putts :P

the more i see this over and over the more excited i get,

3d grass in rough
name brand clubs
pros
better commentary
animated wild life and people
better looking license courses
quicker swing for short game
better difficulty system

the more i see this over and over the more excited i get,

3d grass in rough
name brand clubs
pros
better commentary
animated wild life and people
better looking license courses
quicker swing for short game
better difficulty system
Hold your horses! ;)
Na. Be optimistic. :PRAY:
I wish it all came true. Sim like swing mechanics. No BS. gimme that.

Presentation wise I am hoping for some serious 2k input.

Last edited:

Dead-eyed mannequin in front of a blurry-faced mannequin crowd. His shoe is even going through the ground...

Starting to get worried...

I just don't understand why they're trying to fuse "hip-hop subculture" with golf. It looks and sounds ridiculous. Someone, somewhere thought, "people think golf is lame, right? Well, let's talk about "swag" and use "hippity-hop" that the kids love to market the game! We'll pull in a brand new audience!" Feels completely tone deaf. Someone in the comments from an older video said that it seemed like it was a video for a GTA:V golf mode. I agree, it's like a parody.

Last edited:
so "how" is he involved then!?
He's not... He's as involved in the game as you are in PES... I don't know what made you think otherwise...!

He says "if it's anything like the last two games", which he's played, because he's a fan...

He's not... He's as involved in the game as you are in PES... I don't know what made you think otherwise...!

He says "if it's anything like the last two games", which he's played, because he's a fan...
this:
Honestly, getting the chance to be involved in this is one of the highlights of my life in video games.
sorry if my bad english put me on the wrong way. maybe shouldve been "...involved in this WAS one of the highlights..." ... not sure.

alright then, we can leave it here. later.

Back
Top Bottom