Play on MacBook Pro?

Minty_Biscuit

Non-League
31 August 2019
Helloooo, my first post here.

I searched but couldn’t see any threads on it - is it possible to play Pes 2019/2020 on a MacBook Pro? I’ve always played on Xbox but I’ve seen the realistic mods YouTuber TrueBrits uses and it looks light years ahead.

If there are any Mac players out there i’d love to hear from you.

I installed bootcamp (windows) on my mac and played it that way. Games on bootcamp work A LOT better than on mac, like 20% better IIRC. I could play pes 2018 on 2013 macbook air, you might be able to play 2019 on Pro.

Thanks for your help, oxide.
I have a 2017 macbook pro with 16gb of ram and an i7, so hopefully that'll be fine spec wise.
I was hoping there'd be more people out there playing it via bootcamp that I could get tips from on setting it up.

But I can practically see tumbleweed rolling past this thread.

Thanks for your help, oxide.
I have a 2017 macbook pro with 16gb of ram and an i7, so hopefully that'll be fine spec wise.
I was hoping there'd be more people out there playing it via bootcamp that I could get tips from on setting it up.

But I can practically see tumbleweed rolling past this thread.
i didnt know how to install bootcamp but its pretty easy, you can find guides online how to do this. then its like having a windows machine, you hold options when u restarting mac to choose max os or windows, choose windows, download game, play.

one thing ull have to partition drive - so just think about whether you will be installign other games or mods, and leave enough room for download AND the zip files AND the extractions for mods, like easily leave 40-50gb for pes to be safe (plus windows size is like 10-15gb?)

I’m looking to get PES 2020 this year on PC as well for the first time, leaving the console life behind (just sold my PS4) due to the mods available on PC, I used to play PES (from ISS to PES 6) then moved over to fifa around 2015 but the last 2 FIFA’s have been so bad I bought my fist copy of PES last year on the PS4 and enjoyed it thoroughly! Boycotting Fifa until EA gets their ish together!
I’ve just bought me a maxed out IMac 2019, i9, 32gb Ram with a decent graphics card as well, mainly for music production and video editing. I need to find out how much hard disk space I have (I think it is 1tb SSD) to decide how much space I’m willing to set aside for bootcamp .. But very excited about PES this year!

Soo many videos on how to install bootcamp anyone here have any potential pitfalls to avoid?! I think I will have a go at installing the PES demo might be good practice before the game comes out

bootcamp windows games run better than games on mac, like by a lot IIRC.

once you set up partition size for HD for win and mac, I for some reason couldnt edit that and change it when I needed more space until i used a different program that you gotta almost pay for. So imagine if u install other games and set aside good number of Gb - you might need to dl rar files and unpack, etc.

Soo many videos on how to install bootcamp anyone here have any potential pitfalls to avoid?!
It's pretty straight forward - there's a ton of guides online to follow that will lay it out nice and easy. As long as you allocate the correct amount of space at the start that you want to use for the partition and then have the USB with Windows 10 on ready to go then you're pretty much sorted.

Then swapping between Mac OS and Windows is as simple as holding the option key on bootup!

And @oxide is bang on - running games on bootcamp windows on a Mac is significantly better performance wise than directly on Mac OS.

Just out of interest, how is the performance of Windows 10 on Mac compared to a PC of similar spec? Is there any drawback to running Windows on Mac hardware? I guess not but curious to know incase I consider getting a Mac in future.

Just out of interest, how is the performance of Windows 10 on Mac compared to a PC of similar spec? Is there any drawback to running Windows on Mac hardware? I guess not but curious to know incase I consider getting a Mac in future.
Performance is really fine - Windows just treats the device as a really decent spec for a laptop.

The only frustration I ever have with using Windows on a Mac is the track pad and that's purely because Apple's trackpads blow everything else out of the water. So swapping from a brilliant trackpad on Mac OS to Windows on the same device and the difference is quite frustrating. You get used to both operating systems pretty quickly - huge benefits to both and I'm not one to ever get involved in the whole Mac vs. PC debate.

I don't think I'd swap back now - I'd always previously had a Dell XPS laptop and a separate MacBook Pro for work but being able to run both operating systems off a single device and take advantage of both is great. It's a luxury though - I'd still say that anyone who wants a machine that they plan on using more for games to stick with a desktop windows PC but we can't all afford the luxuries of the space for a full desktop.

There are some really great Windows laptops available now though, it's not like 5 or so years ago when it was Dell or HP and the laptops were pretty average. So if you don't need a Mac device then looking at the Razer Blade 15, Dell XPS 15, Aero Gigabyte and the MSI PS65 (I think..!) are all great options.

Performance is really fine - Windows just treats the device as a really decent spec for a laptop.

The only frustration I ever have with using Windows on a Mac is the track pad and that's purely because Apple's trackpads blow everything else out of the water. So swapping from a brilliant trackpad on Mac OS to Windows on the same device and the difference is quite frustrating. You get used to both operating systems pretty quickly - huge benefits to both and I'm not one to ever get involved in the whole Mac vs. PC debate.

Thank you. :) Yes for my home PC I'll probably always be Windows and pretty stubborn about sticking to desktop! :D

For work I currently use Ubuntu, but we have some crappy Mac Mini for when we need to develop iOS apps. For when I need to replace a laptop I'll definitely consider getting a Macbook (wallet depending!) and putting a Windows partition on.

I don't think I'd swap back now - I'd always previously had a Dell XPS laptop and a separate MacBook Pro for work but being able to run both operating systems off a single device and take advantage of both is great. It's a luxury though - I'd still say that anyone who wants a machine that they plan on using more for games to stick with a desktop windows PC but we can't all afford the luxuries of the space for a full desktop.

There are some really great Windows laptops available now though, it's not like 5 or so years ago when it was Dell or HP and the laptops were pretty average. So if you don't need a Mac device then looking at the Razer Blade 15, Dell XPS 15, Aero Gigabyte and the MSI PS65 (I think..!) are all great options.
Ive been saying it since i installed bootcamp on my macbook air 2013 (which i am typing this one right now, and i played pes 2018 on until it couldnt run 2019)... if i can get a mac that can perform like my gigabyte aero 14, then ill buy just the mac- its so nice to have both os AND the trackpad. But they dont make them that good, or if they do its just now and its 2k+ ...also cooling is an issue, at least in my macbook air it was. my gigabyte has good cooling, does macbook pro, I dont know but I doubt it!

Since PES 2018, the only option on Mac is bootcamp. Before, with PES 2017 and earlier versions you could use Wine, Parallels, PlayOnMac. Not with newer PES games though, mainly due to the fact that DirectX 11 is used by the game and virtualization soft doesn't support all of its features on macOS.

That being said, PES 2020 demo runs pretty well on my 2015 MacBook Pro, in bootcamp mode - with Windows 10.

Thanks for all the help, guys.
I installed Windows 10 using Bootcamp and checked out the demo. On medium/slightly low settings it runs like a dream and still looks better than my Xbox One.

If I use usbc-c to HDMi on my HD tv will I maintain the same performance?

I’m looking to get PES 2020 this year on PC as well for the first time, leaving the console life behind (just sold my PS4) due to the mods available on PC, I used to play PES (from ISS to PES 6) then moved over to fifa around 2015 but the last 2 FIFA’s have been so bad I bought my fist copy of PES last year on the PS4 and enjoyed it thoroughly! Boycotting Fifa until EA gets their ish together!
I’ve just bought me a maxed out IMac 2019, i9, 32gb Ram with a decent graphics card as well, mainly for music production and video editing. I need to find out how much hard disk space I have (I think it is 1tb SSD) to decide how much space I’m willing to set aside for bootcamp .. But very excited about PES this year!

Soo many videos on how to install bootcamp anyone here have any potential pitfalls to avoid?! I think I will have a go at installing the PES demo might be good practice before the game comes out

Have you got it up and running yet?

Have you got it up and running yet?
Yes mate I have, looking absolutely glorious!! I’ve got a couple mods installed as wells just waiting for a proper option file (including bundesliga) to get a proper master league going! I’ve got it mostly on high settings at the moment but I almost always have multiple programs running at once so will need to upgrade my ram I think. Sounds like you’ve had a pretty good experience setting up yourself?

Yes mate I have, looking absolutely glorious!! I’ve got a couple mods installed as wells just waiting for a proper option file (including bundesliga) to get a proper master league going! I’ve got it mostly on high settings at the moment but I almost always have multiple programs running at once so will need to upgrade my ram I think. Sounds like you’ve had a pretty good experience setting up yourself?

Ah nice, glad it's going well. What mods are you using?
PES Universe option file has Bundesliga now apparently.

I'm having some frustrating issues, but I can see the potential, so I'm persevering
. I think my problems stem from the fact I'm using a retina macbook – I can only get PES to launch in a small window (about half the size of the screen)? I haven't used Windows in so long, so it may just be me being really thick. How do I full screen it?

At the moment I am using some face packs, tight kits, tv logos and scoreboard mods including the PES Uni option file, all working quite well so far! Thanks for the heads up in bundesliga I’ll have a look on the site later after work, finally I can start ML

I'm having some frustrating issues, but I can see the potential, so I'm persevering
. I think my problems stem from the fact I'm using a retina macbook – I can only get PES to launch in a small window (about half the size of the screen)? I haven't used Windows in so long, so it may just be me being really thick. How do I full screen it?

That’s unfortunate, I didn’t find it too hard getting full screen and I have a 5k Retina display myself and although the game does load in windowed mode sometimes and I have to use CMD+OPTION+TAB to get it to go full screen, maybe try that? Also only other thing I can think of is to go to your settings program which is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\EFootball PES 2020 and double click the settings.exe file and under “screen mode” make sure full screen is checked. Hope that helps mate.

That’s unfortunate, I didn’t find it too hard getting full screen and I have a 5k Retina display myself and although the game does load in windowed mode sometimes and I have to use CMD+OPTION+TAB to get it to go full screen, maybe try that? Also only other thing I can think of is to go to your settings program which is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\EFootball PES 2020 and double click the settings.exe file and under “screen mode” make sure full screen is checked. Hope that helps mate.

Ah, thanks for the tip – I'll try that out.
Will that work even if the 'maximise' option in the top right of the window is greyed out?

It didn't work – CMD+OPTION+TAB just cycles through open apps, right?

That’s correct. If your game opens in “windowed” mode which mine does from time to time this makes it full screen. Sounds like you’re issue is much more complex than that though.

Back
Top Bottom