Play some guitar !

joostebrood

Premiership
4 March 2002
Well, the title might be a little misleading, but I was wondering into which guitarists you guys are and why. I'm not talking about who's the best technical player. Some of us know Satriani, Vai etc. can do some amazing stuff, but are they really that interesting to listen to?

I like raw players like Slash, Springsteen, Mike McGready. Another one I absolutely love, especially during the old day, is Mark Knopfler. His guitar during live versions of Private Investigations is amazing.

Discuss.

Presidents of the USA had some odd guitar setups, 2 or 3 bass strings on a lead guitar. Any more than that and they used to snap the neck. Made a nice and unusual noise.

I hate slash, dunno why. I like Dave Mustaine, even though hes old school. Hes just so cool. Kim Thayil of Soundgarden is also a great guitarist...he looks like the yeti.

Obvious one, Jimmy Hendrix and I also love the raw accoustic sound of Bob Dylan, as demonsrated in the epic song that is The Hurricane.

Do you guys rate the Edge from U2? His sound is quite unique, but I have a feeling that's all he is capable of. Not sure about that though.

The 80's records were pretty good IMO. I love their touring DVD through America. But I think they're shit ever since that Zooropa album

Noel Gallagher writes a good song but he's nowhere near a great guitarist, he even admits himself the guy he brought into the band (can't remember if it's Gem Archer or Andy Bell who plays guitar) is better than he is.

Joost I swear you listen to music my father loves, he is a big Dire Straights/Mark Knopfler/Springsteen fan. Do you like the Eagles/Don Henley? :mrgreen:

I always found it cool that you could hardly ever see Slash's face during his solos due to his massive hair.

babs said:
Presidents of the USA had some odd guitar setups, 2 or 3 bass strings on a lead guitar. Any more than that and they used to snap the neck. Made a nice and unusual noise.

Yeah, their first (self-titled) album is very catchy. . . .

Hendrix
Prince
John Frusciante
Dave Navarro
Zakk Wylde
Nuno Bettencourt
Angus Young
Ty Tabor
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Santana
Ben Harper
Jim Martin
Jack Johnson
Tom Morelllo
Jon Spencer
Paul Gilbert
Mike McCready
Jerry Cantrell
Jimmy Page
Slash

Ben Harper, jack johson? cmon...

Slash is a god
Mikey Houser
Trey Anastatcio
Jerry Garcia
Duane Allman(the greatest fucking guitarist that ever walked the earth)
Stevie Ray Vaughn
EC
Luther Dickinson
Warren Haynes
Hendrix
The edge is a very good guitarist
John Mccloughin
Bella Fleck(well he plays a banjo but he is a bad ass)
N Young
Nils Lofgren
Knopfler
so many.... but these are my favorites

Dude from Metallica is Rob Turijllo (sp?). I think the bassist from RATM is good, forgot his name.

What about the legendary Lemmy Kilminster?? He may not be the greatest player, but his image is excellent. Hes never going to die.

Professor Nutmeg said:
If you don't appreciate Ben's unique slide technique, then fair enough.
I take it you like the Mahavishnu Orchestra though? ;)
McLaughlin is one of the nastiest guitarist ever, so yeah i like them, props to the slide technique, but i wouldnt put him in the class of these other guys..

Bjorn from ABBA

bjorn.jpg

Plus he looks good in floral outlined spandex, which is always a bonus.

Ritchie Blackmore seems to be good, never heard him play to be honest, I don't really dig that 70's hardrock.

You boy,s are forgetting your roots, Robert Johnson, if you don,t know who he is, ask your above mentioned heroes who they were inspired by.

Have to say Kirk Hammett from Merallica is quality but I also fucking buzz off Deron Miller from Cky, Not that technical really but that guy knows how to put together a tune! From the true classics obviously love Hendrix and Page, both pure genius, their music will never die. For the more original stuff i like a lot of Sonic Youth they do some mental things with their guitars. First post so Ello everybody! :D

Back
Top Bottom