PlayStation - 10th Anniversary!

NickSCFC

Banned
18 July 2003
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Stoke City/Liverpool
Yes, the PlayStation, the biggest selling games thingy ever! I think everyone in the country had one, even my nan, and now, it's even older than my Nan.

Yes, on 29th September 2005, Sony PlayStation will celebrate it's 10th Anniversary since its launch in September 1995. Happy Birthday PlayStation!

playstation.red.jpg

It came out in September 1995, apparently. I never really noticed it and got a Sega Saturn instead, I think one of my mates had one with a little game called WipEout, meh. I didn't actually play one till a year later 'round a friends house. Had a play on Resident Evil, Tekken 2 and Formula One, was pleased with what I saw but was far too busy with my Saturn to care. As with PlayStation 2 it took Konami and a little football game to get my attention. After a football mad summer of 1998 it was ISS Pro 98 which got me interested, t'was like nothing that had gone before, much like PES5 now. After spending about £20 on a Tekken 3 arcade machine and having Gran Turismo rammed down my throat all year I decided to get to finally get one, after many months of pestering I finally got one! I can remember playing Crash bandicoot at about 6 o'clock on Christmas Day. Got quite a few games for it but about half way through 1999 my attentions switched to a little known console called Dreamcast (which I traded my PS in for). Never really thought about it till a few years later and I got a PlayStation 2 and realised I could play old PlayStation games on it, so I've been trying to get some of my old games back very cheaply, so far I've managed to get...

Dino Crisis
Dino Crisis 2
Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Rage Racer
Ridge Racer Type 4
Soul Blade
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2
WipEout
WipEout 2097
WipEout 3

So, time to discuss, what are your best memories of the PlayStation? I you really can't remember, maybe these will jog your memory...

PlayStation UK 1995 (launch) TV ad (Society Against PlayStation)
PlayStation UK 1999 TV ad (Double Life)

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF PLAYSTATION

Last edited:
10 years already? omg...
It looked like yesterday that I got my first Playstation. Acctually this was the first console I got with my own money.

Great days with my m8's, all in a very small room looking at a small tv screen.

The games I most enjoyed during those days were Crash Team Racing, amazing multiplayer racing game, Speed Freaks, another of the same kind, Quake 2.Single player ones like Gran Turismo (2), Metal Gear Solid, my fav Playstation game, Resident Evil 2, my fav RES game, and of course, and almost forgot, the biggest fighting game of all time, Tekken 3, I remember playing battle after battle for hours. And the legend that Silent Hill is, the scariest game ever, terror/horror at his prime.
And omg, almost forgot, the best RPG I've ever played, Final Fantasy VII.

And my addiction to Pro Evolution started with this console.

My congrats and thanks to Sony for making me have such great moments.

I still remember playing it imported from Japan before it came out in the UK. :) Ridge Racer, Tekken and Toshinden (may be spelt diferently) were amazing at the time. :)

That S.A.P.S advert was right good they shoudl have carried on making them in that style the ps2 adverts are shit now....

i bought my ps1 in wakefield, the christmas of 1995. i bought tekken and wipeout.

it cost me £299 for the console and £35 each for the games!!!

wipeout blew me away, and i still have the original save on my old memory card with lap times that have gotta rank up there with the best ever - they are perfect, or near-perfect laps!

jarvis cocker and that song 'missing' were the songs of the moment!

god, i was only 22! :P

And remember S.A.P.S, don't underestimate the power of PlayStation! :mrgreen:

I remember having one for Christmas back in 1995 and said goodbye to my social life :(. I had about 80 games for it until the PS2 got released.

God!! 10 years, i was 10!! LOL

Remember debaiting weather or not to get this or a Sega Satern, picked the best one, Had shit loads of games for it, best one's where Metal Gear, Gran turismo and Parasite Eve!!

Remember paing £50 for Parasite Eve from local importers!! Resi 2 was also mint!!

Long Live The PSX!!! I got mine spray painted Red and orange with the mortal kombat dragon in the CD lid, still got it, ill post a pis of it if i can remember in the morning :)

Best console ever!! Started my love for ISS/Pro Evo!!!

Cheers
Scottio

I think Saturn was better at first, you couldn't get games like NiGHTS, Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2 on PlayStation. Resident Evil, WipEout 2097 and Teken 2 made me jealous though!

Happy 10th anniversary Playstation!

sad, now everybody wants the equivalent of a
'PES6 in a PS2 launch' for PS3...
[-(

Actually the anniversary was 25th September 2005.

But yeah I see what you're getting at, games were more exciting back then.

We never used to nitpick back in 1995/1996 because 3D was kicking off and everything was moving too fast for us.

Christmas 1996 with Croc, Total Drivin' and Virtua Striker.

How I long for those days, back before everyone realised how huge PlayStation would be. I miss being 6 again.

Virtua Striker is a Sega IP and has never appeared on PlayStation, and I'm sure Croc wasnt out till 1997...........

Yeah Croc and Total Drivin' were 1997 games, Virtua Striker only came out in the arcades.

Christmas 1996 was all about Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, WipEout 2097, F1, Tekken 2 and Crash Bandicoot!

I reckon 1996 was the most exciting year for games ever, this year's shaping up to be up thre with 1996 though!

Virtua Striker is a Sega IP and has never appeared on PlayStation, and I'm sure Croc wasnt out till 1997...........

God I got that mixed up, what was it now, not Virtua Striker. Had Barry Davies as commentator.......Actua Soccer maybe?

And you're right, my mistake again. Xmas 97 I got mine then. Got confused because I always thought MGS and Gran Turismo were 97 releases in the UK.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo was May 1998
MGS was March 1999

Yeah Barry Davis was the commentator for all 3 Actua Soccer games by Gremlin, Trevor Brooking was his assistant.

PS: Actua Soccer was the first ever football game to have 3D polygon players.

adidas Power Soccer was the first football game on the PlayStation, I remember there being aPS1, aPS2 and aPS'98. I think it changed it's name to This is Football for 1999.

Last edited:
Yeah Croc and Total Drivin' were 1997 games, Virtua Striker only came out in the arcades.

Christmas 1996 was all about Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, WipEout 2097, F1, Tekken 2 and Crash Bandicoot!

I reckon 1996 was the most exciting year for games ever, this year's shaping up to be up thre with 1996 though!

Nah no chance, you put this years samey games against those back then, no chance

90s PSX games FTW

Well this year we have Bioshock, Crysis, Halo 3, Little Big Planet, Virtua Fighter 5...

think that's it, don't think anything will ever topple 1996.

It's official, 1996 was the best year ever for videogames!

Back
Top Bottom