PlayStation VR

16 September 2016
Watford
Watford
Any of you lads thinking about getting PSVR?

Looks and sounds alright but the fast moving games worry me somewhat... I don't want to barf everytime I play DriveClub VR for 10 minutes!

I am going to wait 8-12 months to see how this is supported by Sony in terms of games/software. While it is cheaper at £350 than the other VR headsets it is still a substantial investment and I want to be sure that it is properly supported.

Haven't yet, but won't until there is more better games for it.

Don't want another steering wheel.. Lives in the box and every couple of months get it out..

VR will either massively take off and be the next big gaming thing or it will be like the Wii fun for 20 mins then live in a box for the rest of it's life.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this isn't for me. Perfectly happy relaxing in front of an LED TV and using a controller. If it turns out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread I may invest some time down the road when the technology has improved and the headset is preferably wireless.

I tried it about 2 months ago.

Prior I was definitely buying it. After 10 minutes on it I definitely wasn't.

It's an interactive PS2/PS3. Thought it was a bit shit.

Bloody hell, what a miserable collection of old men. :D

I'm jumping in with both feet - it's the only way "big" developers will start to support it. The current offerings aren't brilliant - no, let's be honest, they're pretty terrible. Driveclub looks pretty good and that's about it.

But if people don't buy it, then we'll never get FIFA Be A Pro VR, Battlefield VR or GTA VR, all of which I am absolutely desperate to see on a console. They won't create those experiences if this does go the way of the Kinect.

In the meantime, I've booked Thursday off and I can't wait to set it up - even if it's just to play Driveclub VR and FIFA/PES on a virtual screen in the corner of the living room so that I'm not constantly using the "big telly".

I have heard some rumours as well in regards to the screen fogging up, but none of people feeling sick - Which I thought would happen as apparently for VR to work a game needs to ideally run at 90FPS.

Last edited:
I can't even play a first person shooter without getting sick. Or a video clip where they keep on turning the cam.
Something in my brain cannot handle it. (guess that's why I never got to be an f16 fighter pilot).

So I'm afraid I will get sick from this as well. Besides that it really has no interest for me. Would be nice in a F1 game, or a pinball game but for me that's about it.

I will pass judgement till I actually see how good it is.

But I am not going to pay out £350 for something that may not even get used, or least only be used a handful of times.

The games available also doesn't interest me much:-
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/List_of_PS4_Games_Compatible_With_PlayStation_VR

My mate is buying one so will test it out and see how much I like it, but if I do love it and they start actually releasing patches and games then I will probably buy a VR Headset, but will more than likely be the Oculus Rift.

With the Samsung VR and all things - It is surely a case you get what you pay for...

The Samsung VR is £80
PS4 VR - £350
Oculus Rift - £550
HTC Vive - £750

So I wouldn't really expect the Samsung VR headset to be very good when you consider the PS4 VR drops quite alot spec wise compared to the Oculus and HTC versions.

In fact reading a few articles online most people experienced nausea with the Oculus Rift and no one experienced it with the HTC.
Specs wise they are the same.

Last edited:
Within reason, nausea is something you'll experience based on design of the software, not the hardware. Some Rift games will be absolutely fine, others will turn your stomach. Same for Vive and PSVR.

I managed to try the Rift and Gear VR at a little expo in Brighton. The Gear was interesting but it simply isn't designed for more than 10-15 minutes' use - the lenses they use to curve the images render most text seriously blurry. The main interest with it is that it's more readily available to non-game studios - the two things I saw were a Guardian feature about solitary confinement and a creepy live-action trailer for some dance theatre troupe. It's pretty much where you'll see a lot of people dip their toes in the water with creation of VR media.

The first Rift game I played was extremely fast (some Wipeout style game where you raced on the outside of a cylindrical track) and something about the head tracking was ever so slightly off - I felt a tiny bit queasy as a result. Someone else was over in the corner playing a combine harvester simulator. I know. But I do think VR has a big market in training - driving schools, race-driving schools, heavy machinery, bomb defusal etc.

The best thing I played by a long way was a game called Private Eye VR on the Rift. Having a room space to roam around in, plus having in-game hands (everything else I played was either just the headset or an XBox pad) was a bloody revelation. Little things like rooting through drawers, finding a torch and then needing to find a battery to put into the torch, lining up wooden blocks to reveal clues, using a mop to knock things off a high shelf - I was 'present' from the moment I put the headset on and peered around and under the desk in front of me, but the real difference between VR and standard games is that interacting with the world is second nature.

This generation of VR might not be the one to do it. There will be countless developers who never really get it, who just try to make existing games in VR rather than really understand VR's potential. But over the next 5-10 years, as new things like more sophisticated hand controls or inner-ear fluid conduction give us more of a connection to the worlds people create, VR will genuinely dominate. I only hope Rockstar are looking at an LA Noire title, or that more is done along the lines of the Walking Dead / Game of Thrones titles. It'd blow standard films & games clean out of the water as an immersive experience.

Last edited:
qtjLZYx.jpg

:BRMM:

There was a big demo unit for it at Kings Cross today - the q was a bit too big for me to try and have a quick go before work, so might have a look if the q isn't too big on the way home.

Wow. I'm very immersed in this thing and the VR experience is great, but maybe because it's completely new to me, being inside virtual worlds. The downside though is the visuals are a bit fuzzy. The closer an object is the clearer and the farther the fuzzier. I wish visuals were crystal clear but I know that would mean cost would sky rocket. Still a great interview experience nonetheless. Back for more :D

Edit: would the pro help in any way or it doesn't matter and it's the VR device that needs better screen?

Wow. I'm very immersed in this thing and the VR experience is great, but maybe because it's completely new to me, being inside virtual worlds. The downside though is the visuals are a bit fuzzy. The closer an object is the clearer and the farther the fuzzier. I wish visuals were crystal clear but I know that would mean cost would sky rocket. Still a great interview experience nonetheless. Back for more :D

Edit: would the pro help in any way or it doesn't matter and it's the VR device that needs better screen?

It is more likely the VR would need a better screen if you look at the Rift or HTC Vive they both have a higher resolution.

How's Chris finding it?
Really good - Driveclub was my favourite. To me, all driving games need to use VR - judging corners comes naturally and looking in the mirrors, looking around for the other cars... It's great. I'd love to play Dirt Rally on it.

The problem is, most of the games are cut-down experiences at the moment. Love Driveclub on it, but there's not loads to do. But I think that's down to needing regular eye-breaks (which might scare the big devs off).

RIGS sounds good but I couldn't try it, after a couple of hours I felt pretty sick (which, to be fair, is about two hours longer than it's taken most people to feel sick when playing Driveclub - Jo lasted ten minutes).

The virtual screen feature is pretty good, but it's all well and good having a 100ft virtual cinema screen in front of you when the pixel count is so low that the graphics look worse than on the telly (it's more like putting a magnifying glass up to your regular TV).

I do really like it - £350 is probably too much for something that you can't wear for extended periods of time, but I'm glad I've got one. I just hope they make Be A Pro VR etc...

I could just see it now... Dirt Rally with a VR Headset that has force feedback!! you fall off a cliff and BANG! your head take a jolt everytime the car rolls! hahaha!

I could just see it now... Dirt Rally with a VR Headset that has force feedback!! you fall off a cliff and BANG! your head take a jolt everytime the car rolls! hahaha!
Cuts to a hospital trolley moving at pace to ER, doctor shining a light in your eyes. Force feedback chest unit for the defibrillator. Most intense Game Over ever.

Back
Top Bottom