PLEASE help me heading in we9

brunnoce

World Cup Winner
29 July 2003
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Cruzeiro
guys, i just cant score goals from headers in we9..ive tried almost everything, i mean, using supercancel to get advantage of the defenders, crossing using 2x O , i mean almost everything, i just cant get my strikers to header the ball..and when i do i usually head it into the moon!!
does anyone have any good tip for me?
if so please tell me

thanx!

brunnoce said:
guys, i just cant score goals from headers in we9..ive tried almost everything, i mean, using supercancel to get advantage of the defenders, crossing using 2x O , i mean almost everything, i just cant get my strikers to header the ball..and when i do i usually head it into the moon!!
does anyone have any good tip for me?
if so please tell me

thanx!

Note: In these examples I am crossing from the wing as I run near the sideline. Most of my crosses occur as I approach the box all the way to the end line. I use passing TYPE 5, so when I cross I have to press :l1: +:circle:

Crossing relies alot on timing. You can't just cross whenever your player(s) are in the box. Look how they are positioned relative to the defenders. For example if you have two players in the box, running to right side of screen, one near post and one far post, and the far post player is slightly ahead of the defender, press :circle: and the analog stick/d-pad to the right. You have to make sure that there is not another player higher up or you will pass to him, since the far post player is then the middle player. WE only allows you to pass to the closest and farthest player using :circle: auto crossing. I haven't tried this yet, just thought of it now, but maybe by pressing down and :circle: you can hit the middle player. Just a thought.

Another key is trying to get off a clean cross. If you are marked tightly on the wing use changes in speed to gain space. Let go of :r1: for a second and then press again. Use :r2: , release, then press :r1:. There are many variations.

As far as using :r2: , I only use it if my player is outpositioned once the cross comes in. If the pass is accurate enough I dont press it. I'll give you an example of when it is most effective for me. Let's say I get a cross in heading for the box, but my player is behind the defenders. I'll press :r2: , which allows me to charge toward the ball. Many times I've broken through the defenders to get a clean header.

Once you're able to get crosses in to the desired player you have to actually get the header to go where you want. Most of the time I press right or left, depending on the side. Or I press diagonal down and right or left. Its hard for me to explain exactly, because most of the time its instinct or reaction.

So my biggest tip, then, is to use the analog stick/d-pad in conjunction with :circle: to hit your players. In general press up to reach a player higher up in box; down for player lower in box; right if player is ahead of defender; left if behind defender. You can also try diagonals. For example press diagonal upper right if player is higher up and ahead of defender. Sometimes if the crosser is lined up with the player in the box, I only press :circle: the appropriate amount of times.

Now that I've improved my crossing about a third of my goals come from headers. I can now spot out a player and cross directly to him, providing a great goal scoring opportunity. Hope that helps. Good luck.:)

Last edited:
thanx for this exelent explanation man!
really good indeed, i will give it a try, i have one more question, how do you header?? do you hold [] or you keep tapping it?? or do you press it once at the right time(extremly dificult)???
ive tried many ways , and in the end i got the impression that it doens t matter very much, as the header accurance is more determined by the position of the striker in relation wiht the ball...
anyway than x man!
so from what i understood , the best way to cross is using L1+0 right?? and aim to the striker...

brunnoce said:
thanx for this exelent explanation man!
really good indeed, i will give it a try, i have one more question, how do you header?? do you hold [] or you keep tapping it?? or do you press it once at the right time(extremly dificult)???
ive tried many ways , and in the end i got the impression that it doens t matter very much, as the header accurance is more determined by the position of the striker in relation wiht the ball...
anyway than x man!
so from what i understood , the best way to cross is using L1+0 right?? and aim to the striker...

I press :circle: once the ball reaches the player, rather then hold it down or press repeatedly. I have better success that way. Whether its a personal preference or actually is more effective by timing the press of :circle: , I'm not certain. I have scored a lot of headers, so I'm confident in pressing :circle: at the right moment.

Yes. The most effective way to cross is using :l1: + :circle: and aiming for your teammate. You have to switch to pass type 4 or 5 in the button configuration menu to use this method. Using type 4 or 5 enables you to cross the ball to the opposite side of the pitch, wherever you are, by just pressing :circle: and the appropriate direction. You will notice that just pressing :circle: brings up the strength meter, while using :l1: + :circle: does not. It may take some time to adjust to, but it offers more control, more precision passing. When I started playing WE9 most of my games were 0-0 draws or 1-0 losses. Now on either 4 or 5 stars I score 1-3 goals per game, with the occasional 0-0 draw. Recently, playing on 4 stars in ML with Arsenal, I beat Bayern Munich 3-0 and Real Madrid 4-0.

Strangely, I didn't like WE9 at first. The more I played, and adjusted my gameplay, the more I liked it. When I went back to play WE8LE, I realized how easy it was in comparison to WE9. The difficulty of WE9 kind of ruined WE8LE for me. Despite its flaws WE9 is a good game. I am hoping Konami will release a WE9LE which addresses many of the flaws of WE9.:)

It also depends on your team. I created Ghana and I cannot score header goals with them because their forwards are simply not good at them.

However, when I play with my main team, Norway, I score headers all the time because Carew and Flo are huge and can easily win the ball in the air.

Perhaps this guy is just playing with a short team. Try using Norway (Carew) or the Czech Republic (Koller) and you should easily be able to score headers.

Headers are harder in WE9 also in WE9 JL . Im often try cenering but nit so often score with a header .

Heading is hard. I use the low cross and use super cancel to bring striker towards the ball before the defender. I score most of my goals that way...

Ashed said:
Heading is hard. I use the low cross and use super cancel to bring striker towards the ball before the defender. I score most of my goals that way...

Key to headers are two-fold.
1. The incoming cross
This has been explained previously, but puttiing you crosses in an area where the can be attacked is important. Just loopin them in and expecting you forward to outjump/outmuscle defenders will not get you many goals. Use radar to spot open players/space. Then either use L or R to angle cross ahead or behind. Also note that you may need to use R2/R1 to change trajectory when necessary (whip/loft).

Example of this: for instance you have a forward who's in and advanced position, with a defender closing fast. If you use normal cross, the defender might intercept befor the corss reaches your palyer. Use R1 to whip it in here. Another case if you have defenders in the near post area, whipping is no good, as the ball takes a lower flight. Use R2 to add more hieght and drop the ball to you forwards at the back post.

2. The heading
For this, It's all in the timing. But against CPU, it's always going to be difficult to get a clean header off. Played osme 2v2 recently with mates, headers went in much easier.

Tip is to practice in training mode, and get to grips with the timing/aiming for various types of headers first. After which knowing what to do and when to do it becomes second nature.

Once youve got that down, during games you can then fully concentrate on creating the space/positioning to get onto crosses.

Single press of :square: is sufficient.

i am just holding [] to head, after crossing with 2x 0... and its working beaultifully...iam scoring man many goals by headers..
just doing the smae thing i did in psone WEs...holding []... IoIOIOIOIOI

using analogue really makes a difference in your crosses and heading. The players cross better and attack the ball harder. It's stupid but it's true, a d-pad user here.

Back
Top Bottom