Porto - Best team in Europe?

Are Porto the best team in Europe?

• Total voters
Pires7 said:
Well, would you look at that, the poll is split 50-50.

well that shows the mentality of some of the peeps on here, a team wins The European Cup and people dont see them as the best in Europe :roll:

Evo said:
You could argue that they are the best after winning europe's best club footballing prize but if they played all the best clubs in europe e.g. Milan, Valencia, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Man Utd, Roma etc. could they beat them all?

Milan beat Porto 1-0 for Super Cup this season. :)

But they won the best competition in europe - therefore Kings of Europe.

bzzzt.

So are Chelsea better than Arsenal? Monaco better than Real Madrid? Deportivo better than Milan?

or are these results merely an indication of the nature of knock out tournaments, and less about the overall ability of a team?

Maybe even the point about their domestic leagues has some merit.

I don't know, but what I do know is that while Porto may be the champions of europoe by name - they are not the better team.

They play effective football. It may not be beautiful or fun football, they may dive and cheat, but their football is effective. Luck is part of the game too, you know. They are the best team in Europe for at least a year, and many have to admit it.

well, as far as my opinion goes, your wrong.

They are the team that battled to WIN the champions league, but under extraordinary circumstances which left them beating Manchester United under fishy circumstances and avoiding any of the big names in football.

I'm sorry if it's so hard to understand - but if you don't actually play the best teams in europe, how can you be better than them?

(and to point out once again - they never once beat Real Madrid during the group stages, even when Real Madrid had NOTHING to play for - and we all know how the attiudes/motivation of RM players are constantly under question - but seemingly not there).

The reason they didnt get to beat the big teams was because the 'big teams' were not good enough to progress in the tournament as Porto did.
Remember the old saying, you can only beat whats put infront of you and Porto did that all the way to the final.

It must be real hard for people having to recognise that Porto is the best side.

The truth is that Porto has nowadays some of the best players in the world: Deco, Ricardo Carvalho, Baía and Paulo Ferreira are defenitelly in the top 5 in their respective positions, and most of them came to Porto very young, or were a product from our youth teams!!

This pre-season clubs all around the world will be happilly buying some of our best players (don't forget Maniche, Costinha or McCarthy) and in the next season they will be talked about has the greatest thing in the world!!

Your problem is mental!!

We've played Milan, lost 1-0 and were not inferior!!

We've played Madrid and Lost 3-1, because they've scored almost every chance they had!! And that was in the begining of the season, Porto has matured a lot!!

Cigol, in the second leg neither Porto or Madrid had anything to play for, they were both in the next stage allready...

Has for ManUtd being cheated, I would like to know who in the world fouled Giggs in Porto?! And that freekick awarded you a goal...

Seriously, best team in the world is Arsenal, followed by Milan, we come in third!!

It just feel sorry that we don't have money to keep Mourinho and our best players... good luck to them all...

!!!POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Am i missing something...

They have just won the European Cup FFS, they are The Best Team in Europe....

Congrats, Vann...that's real fair play.

i would have to say yes, they have some cracking players. maybes not as many as say madrid etc but you dont win trophies becuase of individual players, you win them becuase you play well as a team

Porto just cant get the respect of some people.

Hey - I wasnt sold on them early in the tournament either, but if you cannot recognize the fact that this team systematically stifles their opposition and wears them down with clinical finishing then I guess you dont understand the tactics of sports, and why in a team game, strategy and execution are the most important keys to victory.

We can say that AC and Real are better teams, but the fact of the matter is, when it counted. . . they folded. Porto did not.

They absoultely strangled their opposing teams' offenses with their back 4 and DMF's. And when they needed to score, they did.

I was pissed about the Scholes offsides call too, but every team has had the benfit and burden of ref mistakes. . some more than others.

Porto reminds me of the New ENgland patriots - not many marquee names that make tv commercials, but a group of blue-collar scholars who take their hard hat to work and play their roles exceptionally well.

Hats off to them.

Jagged said:
Seriously, best team in the world is Arsenal, followed by Milan, we come in third!!

Thats not true, how can you say Arsenal is the best in the world when they havent played teams from outside Europe. And Arsenal arent the best in Europe either.

Pires7 said:
Jagged said:

Thats not true, how can you say Arsenal is the best in the world when they havent played teams from outside Europe. And Arsenal arent the best in Europe either.

why o why when i seen this topic did i say to myself there will be someone say that arsenal or chelsea is the best in the world i F***in knew it.

anyway porto deserved to win the final and yes they are the best team in europe they will be until they go out of europe next year or get to the final again win it and continue thier run....so stick that in yer pipe and smoke it ;)

okay let me put it this way then - next year Porto will not be champions of Europe, next Year Monaco will not be in the knock out stages.

Next year things will be much, much different.

preventing the run of events that allowed Monaco and Porto to finally meet in the anti-climatic final crowning them champions of europe. for one season.

cigol said:
okay let me put it this way then - next year Porto will not be champions of Europe, next Year Monaco will not be in the knock out stages.

Next year things will be much, much different.

preventing the run of events that allowed Monaco and Porto to finally meet in the anti-climatic final crowning them champions of europe. for one season.

what are you on, the teams who got to the final deserved it. Look at what Monaco did to Madrid FFS.

who knows whats gonna happen next year, maybe Madrid will be as shit as this year (Murcia!!!).

Cigol. . you are living in past seasons, dude. Real Madrid may not even be in the top ten teams in the world right now. how many of them would lose 5 in a row? If Porto played RM's last 5 games do you think they would go 0-5. WOuld they lose to Murcia?

Real is in trouble. We know it. The players know it. The fans know it. The ownership knows it.

It's okay to admit weaknesses, my friend. I love Zizou and Figo, but you gotta acknowledge when a team is not cutting it. . . . I'm a CHicago Bears fan. I know that more than anything else in life. :l

They won the CL, but I think there are better teams in Europe. I suppose they can only beat the teams they had to play, but IMO they had an easier route to the final than most teams have had over the years.

In the group stages they did well to beat Marseille, but were average against Real Madrid. Beating Man Utd (probably the poorest of the 3 English sides in the competition) was a good result for them. They did q.well to beat Lyon, but Lyon themselves are not a truely great side. They were very lucky against Depor (who had certainly faced much harder opposition in their previous knock out matches), and I for one think if Guily hadnt had to go off so early in the final it would have been different.

Basically they did well, but had a fair bit of luck. I dont like their style of play at all tho. Their players are actors (just look at the Andrade incident v Depor), theyre a defensive team and watching them isnt as good as watching more attacking teams.

I also think Valencia will beat Porto by a huge margin in the Super Cup.

ghazi said:
Cigol. . you are living in past seasons, dude. Real Madrid may not even be in the top ten teams in the world right now. how many of them would lose 5 in a row? If Porto played RM's last 5 games do you think they would go 0-5. WOuld they lose to Murcia?

Real is in trouble. We know it. The players know it. The fans know it. The ownership knows it.

It's okay to admit weaknesses, my friend. I love Zizou and Figo, but you gotta acknowledge when a team is not cutting it. . . . I'm a CHicago Bears fan. I know that more than anything else in life. :l

Hey I'll freely admit that the team is in trouble, but it only really manifested itself so significantly in the closing stages of the season (in such a way that it cost us the games) before that, while the defensive problems were evident, Casillas and the offense was keeping us in the game.

But ignoring that for a moment Porto were still unable to beat them. Now that in-itself means nothing, just like winning the champions league in a freak year where all the big teams go out.

They deserved to win it? I disagree, they fluked their win practically against Manchester United.

I don't take anything away from Porto, but I think that their route denied us the truth, and prevents them from being true champions in the eyes of unbelievers such as myself.

now if they had beaten real, milan, arsenal, maybe even chelsea and fairly man utd (not their fault, but still!) - I would pull my hat off to them.

but until then - and now impossible - we can only wonder.

Evo said:
You could argue that they are the best after winning europe's best club footballing prize but if they played all the best clubs in europe e.g. Milan, Valencia, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Man Utd, Roma etc. could they beat them all?

? What are you saying? No team will go unbeaten facing all those teams. They did face Real Madrid and United individually.

Anyway besides the point but I really dont like the way they play football and i hope this isnt the future of european football.

The point of the Champions League is to determine the champion of champions in Europe. Porto earned that this season so they can be considered the champion of champions, aka the best team in Europe.

However, if you ask me will they retain the title next year, I'd say no.

Lionheart said:
The point of the Champions League is to determine the champion of champions in Europe. Porto earned that this season so they can be considered the champion of champions, aka the best team in Europe.

How can they retain the title, the whole team is out for sale along with the manager. But if they kept it, then they prolly would ;)

They are the best team in europe without a doubt, you cant question it as they won the CL!

Lionheart said:

Do you know many teams that won two champions league in a row...?
You couldn't be serious when you wrote that...

Anyway, we won the UEFA cup last year, and people said that Porto this year wouldn't make it as well.

Do you know many teams who have done that? Just one, Liverpool, in the 70's.

Anyway, we could have a go next year, if we weren't going to lose half the team and coach included... it is bad to lose such a team (I've actually bursted in tears when Deco left the field in half time...), still this may be the key to a new economically stable existence for the club.

P.S. Pedro Mendes (not Mendez, we are not mexican...)? Great player indeed, a real team player, to bad he's not going to be in the Euro... damn you Scolari...

It will be interesting next year, i like to see teams like Liverpool, Barcelona and Valencia in the CL.

Personally im not sure winning the uefa cup should give any bearing on whether porto are the best team in europe. the uefa cup is so second rate now its beyond a joke and any team worth their salt should be competing in the champions league every single year. fair play to them for winning it but i dont think winning it on top of the champs league neccesarily makes them superior to the teams that have only won the champions league.

Porto won Champions league(FCP 3-0 Monaco) , so they´re the best team european.

NPopis said:
Porto won Champions league(FCP 3-0 Monaco) , so they´re the best team european.

Monaco unlucky with the Guily injury in the final and a fool on Morientes (with second goal by Porto)

Back
Top Bottom