Project Gotham 3 - Official Thread

CW

C Dub
Founding Member
6 October 2001
Liverpool
I may be jumping the gun a touch here as its not due out til the launch of the 360 but here is what I found this morning.

Project Gotham Racing developer Bizarre Creations has let slip a few more details on Gotham TV, a Live-orientated feature planned for PGR 3 on Xbox 360 that the studio first dished info on at E3.

Purposefully designed to enhance the PGR 3 community experience, Gotham TV features six channels and will, for example, allow you to spectate on races, provide news, inform you of competitor prowess and allow you to dip into archives containing best racing moments ripe for viewing.

You'll remember one of the key features Microsoft talked about at their E3 press conference was the ability to host massive gaming tournaments which would be watched by thousands? Well Gotham TV could well be the realisation of those dreams.

News comes via a news ticker - which is on-screen when you're in a race - that keeps you up to date on current events in PGR 3 on Live and provides more personal info such as what your mates are doing in the game. The ticker additionally alerts you if another player beats one of your top scores, and cleverly this race is archived so you can actually go and watch said player's race.

Loosely connected to news is Today's Highlights. Every day, the best PGR 3 racing moments will be shuffled into this channel, where you can, um, watch the day's highlights. All these highlights will be archived in a PGR 3 Hall of Fame too, a mine of cool bits that will be searchable by event, driver and city and apparently even by route - handy for getting tips on the best way to dominate a track.

If you're looking for really hot racing tips, then the Gotham Heroes Channel is a must. This channel will show real-time races between the best racers, those who have racked up enough kudos points to achieve hero status. You'll be notified you're eligible for hero racing prior to the start of a burn up, and at this stage you can send out invitations to your friends to come and watch you trash the competition. Hopefully.

Connected to the Gotham Heroes Channel is Gotham Heroes Archive, where best moments from races will be stored and can be accessed at your leisure.

Tune into PGR 3's Friends Channel and, as the name suggests, you'll be able to watch your buddies racing live. A number of spectator options will be available and you can observe the race from the grandstand, or from within the cars themselves with the possibility of sneaking into the passenger seat of a friend's car to watch the action.

And thanks to View Replays, you'll be able to save your own masterful racing performances online and then dip back into what's been stored whenever you feel the need to relive personal moments of glory - probably just after you been left eating dust by better players.

A Live treat in store then for Project Gotham 3 on Xbox 360. Bizarre Creations' sequel is expected to launch alongside Microsoft's next-gen console in November.

Interesting

It's hardly going to show you 'T-Boning' another car into another corner now is it Wrighty ;)

Holio said:
It's hardly going to show you 'T-Boning' another car into another corner now is it Wrighty ;)

Can we not get through one day without someone slagging off my driving skill, I know you`re jealous ;)

That all sounds pants tbh, who wants to watch people playing PGR on their telly if they can play themselves? Also don't like this ticker nonsense, on a fecking hot lap and the bugger pops up with "YER MATE's ONLINE" just as you approach a crucial turn or something.

The game will no doubt rock but that's all guff.

They have started doing weekly "Studio Updates" over at BizarreOnline.net so hopefully we can start getting some decent info.

Here is the first....

Well, I've been tasked with writing the first "studio update" for Bizarre Creations. Chances are I'll be doing more of them in the future as well - so gather round, pull up a beanbag, and take in some good gaming news...

Considering I'm brand new here myself, I thought it would be good to give a little intro to my time here at Bizarre. As it stands, I'm the one and only BC web developer, brought in the rescue the old site, implement BizarreOnline.net, and do a few other internal things. Before this, I was a Computer Science student in Brighton, and spent most of my days sitting around playing PGR2! In fact, I was getting pretty good (or so I thought), until I came up here and was thrashed by an artist who hadn't played the game in 6 months. Doh!

After a few weeks of working here, it's become pretty obvious that the people here are special. It's not just by luck that every BC game so far has been great - these guys are really good and certainly know their stuff! You can tell everybody in the office is really enjoying working on a new platform (despite the deadlines), and really pushing themselves to levels which haven't been reached before.

Allow me to let you into a little secret: We've got a PGR3 internal diary here at Bizarre, where everybody drops examples of their week's work in every Friday. It's a great way for slackers like me to see all of the hard work that the real dev's do each week! Some of the screen grabs in there are truly fantastic; I can't believe the level of detail that goes into something as small as a track surface. In fact, take a look at this:

road.jpg

That's a real screenshot, taken on real 360 hardware. Obviously I've chopped it up to show you just the track surface; but no other Photoshop jiggery-pokery has taken place. I've been told that this is actually a combination of four different layers. Read that again. Four layers. Every single inch of track in PGR3 has to be drawn four times to get the required level of detail. Crazy!

We've got diffuse textures, specular maps, bump maps, and more textures (at different scaling) to ensure that you never see a repeated bit of tarmac. Every inch of every track will look unique, which is no small feat considering we're building huge areas of cities. The skid marks themselves are actually made by the game in real-time, so that when the wheels lock or experience enough friction you'll see rubber blended onto the tarmac. Even if you don't understand all of this technical stuff, seeing it all in action is really great.

Anyway, I'll stop gushing now! The good news is that we're hoping to get started on the next level of effects soon, so expect some more screenshots to come out in the next few weeks. In fact, I'm excited myself!

Check back in a week, when I'll post the next Studio Update.

Should be interesting to follow the progress, but if they are forgoeing 60fps so they can have real-time skidmarks I'll be disappointed. I can make my own real-time skidmarks.

ClassicD said:
Should be interesting to follow the progress, but if they are forgoeing 60fps so they can have real-time skidmarks I'll be disappointed. I can make my own real-time skidmarks.

:lol:

Just thought I would post this....

We are very proud to release three new high-definition PGR3 screen grabs, taken from the in-game video shown recently on British TV.

Our PGR3 announcement video, first shown on the MTV show, was aired this week on the British cable channel MotorsTV. The following screen grabs (taken from the video) are in-game, taken from real hardware. However, be aware that due to the time required to prepare in advance for E3, these images are all taken from an older build of the game.

Remember, these are not pre-rendered like the previously released movie clip. This is 100% running on real Xbox 360 hardware.

Things to look out for:

High-definition - these stills are exactly how the game will appear on your HDTV.
New York City - NYC returns to the Gotham franchise like never before. Take a close look at the buildings to see the detail.
Realistic camera - simulating real-life effects like depth of field and motion blur for increased realism.
Advanced lighting effects - new reflections on car bodies, shadows on the tarmac, and shiny windscreen glare from the sun.
Crowd - Thousands of motion-captured, fully 3d spectators line the streets, and react to your racing.
New cars - Featured here are the McLaren F1 LM, the Ferrari 360CS, and the TVR Sagaris.

pgr_mtv0327.jpg

pgr_mtv0398.jpg

pgr_mtv0971.jpg

I can't understand why they have released these motion blur affected shots, From an early build.

This is more like it.........From tthe alpha build. New york scenery :shock:

nyshot.jpg

2 more screens plus some more info from OXM.

- 80 cars, all able to go at least to 170 mph
- 6 weeks to create one car, 40.000 polys for the interior alone
- Car data acquired from real live vehicules as much as possible
- Ability to grab your own screenshots from whatever angle you want
- Race creator to edit your own track in the city you chose. Seems quite easy to use.
- 5 cities (New York, Tokyo, and 3 to be unveiled later)
- 3d spectators, all unique looking and reacting to the race. (i.e they scatter when you crash into a barrier near them)
- sound was recorded from every "noisy" point in the car, exhaust, engine, induction system...
- Licensed soundtrack
- No tuning (YAY !)
- 12 players on Xbox Live
- Damage modeling, with some impact on performance
- Force Feedback wheel is planned for near launch time
- A working dashboard and interior.
- Good stuff right out the gate. Expect many of the cars and tracks after a short while of playing, but depth of options with keep you digging.
- Game mode includes Red vs. Blue.
- Earn Kudos that can turn into Badges of Honor.
- One car from Italy that only three real-life versions exist and pumps out 10,000 RPMs.
- No tuning but it does say 'cool customization'.

Couple of shots...

In Car
726_0001.jpg

Track Editor
726_0002.jpg

Looking goooood :)

AWESOME!!!!! If it does what it says on the tin. I didnt think PGR3 would be enough for me to get XB360, but it may just sway me. Oh yeah, will it be called PGR3, or PGR360, anyone know for real?

LOL it will be PGR3 holio :) This isn't Nintendo! I'm waiting for Nintendo to announce Mario Revolution ;)

New scans from the Official XBox Mag, Most are in-game, some show the wireframes of the interior models.

40691320050702_154121_8_big.jpg

40691320050702_154120_4_big.jpg

40691320050702_154120_5_big.jpg

40691320050702_154120_6_big.jpg

40691320050702_154120_7_big.jpg

40691320050702_154119_2_big.jpg

40691320050702_154117_0_big.jpg

40691320050702_154118_1_big.jpg

40691320050702_154119_3_big.jpg

The interiors are amazing. I'm hoping the right analog stick lets you move your head around in the car so you can look in your mirrors as well as see all the other details.

It's going to bankrupt me but looks like monday nights will be back on! :)

That hi-res vid doesn't seem to work very well for me... The audio seems screwed and I think it's playing slow.

I have most codecs installed.

HD videos need a good PC to run them usually, due to the very high bitrates used to make them.

Yeah I'm sorry guys...I should have said you need a decent PC to run that.

Click Here for a version that should run on most PC's. It is only 25mb, 640x480.

Back
Top Bottom