Project Gotham Racing 4 (Xbox360)

LemonJelly

Bungie's Bitch
28 August 2002
UK
Well the king of racing games is due back and given the spectacular sequel to the original PGR there is a lot of hope regarding PGR4. Here is the latest, all comments are based on the new OXM issue.

OXM teaser said:
A list of interesting excerpts from the accompanying article:

Enhanced Weather Simulation: “One of the slickest new features in PGR is its weather. Bizarre’s using what it likes to call ‘extreme weather’ for more than just making the sky gray. Water beads up on beautifully on all the gorgeous paintjobs, spray jets out from the tires, and in the in-car view, wipers move and windshields ice up.”

Enhanced Raceway Environments: “A TV-style intro sets up each event, with
a commentator offering wisdom…Choppers buzz overhead, camera crews and video vans are everywhere, and hordes of fans line the track. They’ll wear gear with your logo, wave your national flag, and react far more obviously to your performance.”

Extended Car Selection: “PGR4 will deliver a much broader set of vehicles, ranging from a vintage’63 Corvette Sting Ray and the ’54 Maserati 250F to the sleek, ultra-modern Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano.”

On the tracks: “You won’t want to miss out on your viewing time with PGR4’s tracks, which tally up to 200-plus in 10 locations.

”On Xbox Live initiatives: “PGR4’s cooking up a mysterious new matchmaking system (like Halo 2’s).”

On in-car view: ” Bizarre has two key improvements in the works.You’ll now see drivers moving more- feeding the wheel as they zip through turns or pumping their fist after a win. Special effects will also crank up the tension in key moments: you’ll get a shake effect at high speeds, and your vision will blur after spending some quality time with a a wall.”

In conclusion: “PGR4 feels hugely promising- like a proper sequel with loads of cool new toys.”

That’s all we managed to secure from the OXM guys, so for the full story and a bunch more you’ll need to grab a copy yourself when it hits stands April 10th. If you can’t wait for the full game don’t hold your breath yet, since the current ETA for PGR4 is next winter.

alright, PGR4 will have weather that changes during the race. you can start out bright and sunny and end up with a downpour. puddles form, if it's really cold it will freeze and turn to ice. will be thick 'cotton candy' fog in parts of nurburgring

ten cities, all the old ones from PGR3, plus shanghai, plus some more including one fantasy city, all the cities make up 200 tracks.

more 'personality' in career mode including chosing nationality, gender, logo, livery scheme, etc.

graphics are much improved

still eight players online, they experimented with more but it didn't add anything just made more chaos.

out holiday this year

gotham TV gets upgrades, though unspecified

lots of stuff couldn't be talked about yet... new vehicle type you'd never expect in PGR (motorcycles?)

not just supercars, will have old 63 corvette and stuff like that.

damage is improved a bit, you also leave paint on the walls when you smash into them.

no more fishtail of death (so to speak) where you keep fishtailing and can't get control back, also no cheap linking of a bunch of tiny things together for huge combos.

First scans, more to come when I can find them. (These are in-game work in progress shots according to Bizarre)

pgr41xm4.jpg

pgr42dd0.jpg

It is the Enzo on this page, small but good.

scan1nm8.jpg

Looks and sounds absolutely awesome!

Last edited:
Ive had PGR 2 and 3 and loved them both so me getting PGR4 will be a certain!

Dj

I just hope you can smash your cars up this time. Every racing game seems to miss that "realistic" part to it

But what makes that look really good is the rain and the surroundings, if it was a track in a field it wouldnt have half the effect it does in a city. Looks good though.....another racing game to be added to the collection by the looks of it.

If PGR4 continues to be this good ill get this too... Monday Night bashing/racing here at Evo-web can continue with PGR4!

Dj

The rain effect looks quality. I never did get around to getting PGR3. In fact I think I only played PGR1, class game that was :)

There's a video of the rain effect in PGR4 out, looks amazing. Sorry, Forza 2 will almost certainly be the better game, but come on guys. Get hiring these guys for your graphics department.

Here ya go!

Jack I posted that 5 days ago ;)

PGR4 is a different beast to Forza, in my opinion you can't compare them.

Bugger, I actually looked through the thread to see if it had been posted previously as well... I need new glasses, apologies.

They are different beasts, granted, but when you're "in the mood" for a racing game, then they both involve racing and you're usually going to favour (the same) one over the other. If that makes sense.

To me, Forza is a game you invest a lot of time in, so I can see myself going back to that over and over to try and develop my career (or even just work on the car), whereas I'll glance over the PGR4 box and think "well all you do in that is skid around corners".

That's not to say it won't be a great game, but if you play in a world of virtual garages, auctions, parts etc. and then you go into a world where you're not "involved" in the same way, I know that I would find myself itching to put the Forza disc in again.

But damn, those graphics will look beautiful on a HD television...

Project Gotham Racing 4 latest

Big, blurry tears are now welling in our eyes when we imagine everything that Project Gotham Racing 4 will bring this autumn. We think they could be tears of joy, but there are traces of fear behind these too and we’re not ashamed to admit it.

Being PGR fans you’ll already appreciate how challenging the Nurburgring sets out to be. Probably you’re good enough to stay with the curves even when it rains, sure even when it pours. But try snow. Try thick, heavy, bad-ass blizzard kind of snow with gigantic flakes obscuring your view. This is what Bizarre Creations has forecast for PGR4 and yes you’ll still be required to power drift for those kudos points. We fear for your sanity we really do, controlling your back end won’t be easy – and we don’t just mean the car…

Nurburgring is one of two newly announced circuits for PGR4, the other being Quebec. We already know St. Petersburg is in there too and altogether there will be 10 locations in PGR4, the remainder will be revealed in coming weeks.

In the tantalizing long meanwhile Bizarre Creations has let slip a handful of motors old and new that we’ll be gunning for glory later this year. We’ve scribbled them down for you… well, sort of typed without looking (and still spelled everything right):

'62 Ferrari 250 GTO

'67 Toyota 2000GT

'78 Lamborghini Countach LP400

'98 Subaru Impreza 22B STi

‘04 BMW M5

'07 Ruf RGT 997

'07 Lotus GT3RR

Hah, let’s see you survive Nurburgring in the snow in that ’78 Countach! We’ve more locations, vehicles and new features to announce soon for PGR4 so stay hot tuned.

Agree with jack, think pgr4 will be a lot of fun (really enjoyed 3 when i bought it as a classic title a while ago), however i never really felt that i was "in" the game. Something ive always had with pes and the ml (atleast the first few months of the game) and im noticing the same type of thing happening with forza2. I havent been able to play it much since its release due to uni work but im still dying to play it every chance i get, just to get a new car, win a new comp, save up to buy myself an austin, etc. And i havent even gotton into the livery part yet as that will take up a lot of my time aswell.
PGR4 looks really good and the added weather will add another level of enjoyment and challenge. It will be a pick-up-and-play game, im just wondering if ill be finished/bored with forza before it gets released as otherwise ill still want to continue forza. Ill probably get it anyway when it comes out.

Sounds a bit Motorstorm to me! plus Bikes vs Cars? what do you think will win most of the time? Ill give you a clue... Power To Weight Ratio

Bikes can't corner as fast though. Have faith in Bizarre, they know what they are doing.

Last edited:
LemonJelly good post. Yes I really hope they implement the bikes well.

Trust you to find something bad related to an Xbox 360 game TG...

Bizarre Creations has divulged the final list of cities to be seen and recklessly raced through in the upcoming automotive extravaganza, Project Gotham Racing 4:

Macau, China
Las Vegas, USA
London, England
St. Petersburg, Russia
Tokyo, Japan
New York, USA
Shanghai, China
Quebec, Canada
Nurburgring, Germany
The sequel to the Xbox 360 launch title will also boast weather effects, motorcycles and a Michelin-sponsored test track, with some of the returning tracks from the previous game seeing adjustments to enhance the flow of racing and prevent pileups. They will also be presented at a different time of day, though this aspect itself will not be adjustable. Posting in the official Bizarre Creations forum, a staff member noted, "You won't see different times of day per city because this involves recreating all the textures again (one for day and one for night). Whilst this wasn't a problem for our dev team, it was a problem fitting all this data onto a single DVD."

To counter this issue, however, Bizarre points to the game's varied lighting models: "For example, Macau is always in the daytime, but if you play it during a storm everything looks darker and more foreboding. If you play during a blizzard then things are slightly tinged blue and everything seems more frozen. Of course, playing this track in sunshine will make everything appear bright and yellowy."

Expect to drive around a bright and yellowy Macau sometime in September (if the game's done, that is).
pgr4_box_225.jpg

Back
Top Bottom