Projector Question

4fDiSns.jpg

31ost1u.jpg

The wall is 3.6m wide :)

Well and truly bitten by the big screen bug :)

Nice clean setup as well just how it should be

Ordered some black cloth tape to cover up the white of the casing top and bottom, not sure if I'll do anything about the walls/ceiling, tempted though.

One thing you should do is move your front speakers up higher and angle them towards you. I bought these and they do a sterling job for satellite speakers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001FX6DP2/

Have you got a decent 5.1/7.1 setup?

If you haven't getting one will improve your gaming/movie experience ten fold.

I'm sure its the rear speakers that should be ear level.

An amp and separate speakers are definaltey the way to go for a top surround sound setup.

I've got a Onkyo 509 and some Jamo speakers. Got them off AVforums a while ago so they are probably both a bit dated now but they do the job superbly still. Its does Dolby True HD and DTS HD so i shouldn't need to upgrade in that respect either.

If your looking at upgrading your amp next i would definitely recommend a Onkyo.

Well the Amp had to have a headphone socket, that was crucial so I could watch TV/Game in silence whilst the wife is writing/sleeping beside me :)

As for the speaker height, I googled for guides and the one I found said to put them at ear height, this one I just randomly googled says the same: http://www.theater-experience-at-home.com/home-theater-speaker-placement.html#front

Front Speaker Placement

The front left and front right speakers produce most of the music and sound effects for a movie. Also, they're used to produce sounds from a specific left-to-right location. For example, if a door opens on the right side of the screen, the sound of the door opening will come from the right speaker.

There are three considerations for the correct home theater speaker placement for the front speakers:

Height. Position the speakers so the tweeters are at ear level when you are seated.

Guess it's one of those things that one site says one thing and one another! I have had them higher previously (different speakers) and really didn't notice any difference :)

I think all the Onkyos come with a headphone socket, mine has one anyway.

I haven't got a clue where i got that they need to be high :LOL:

I always think front speakers look a little weird when they are low on the wall, i like my setup nice and uniformed ;)

Here's my lounge setup:

2014-03-08111127.jpg

2014-03-08111156.jpg

2014-03-08111234.jpg

2014-03-08111251.jpg

Wall of Blu:

2014-03-08111315.jpg

Kit:

PJ: Optoma HD33 3D 1080p

Screen:

Beamax M-compact 10245 92inch Electric

Full 7.1 Surround

3 Canton CD250s (fronts)
2 Canton CD220s (backs)
2 Canton 650s (in-ceilings)
Q-Acoustics Q1000Si subwoofer

All getting on a bit now (had it all over 2 years), but still looks and sounds absolutely amazing. we still watch a movie at least a couple of times a week on the big screen.

girlfriend loves it too, as there is not a single wire in sight in our entire lounge. all the tech is in a cupboard behind the tv wall.

(for reference, the tv is a 50inch panny G10 - had it almost 5 years and the picture is still to be beaten by anything out there)

thanks Placebo. i've also got a very similar setup to your pictures above in my man cave/study. i project straight onto the wall though, which i have painted using the 'black widow' mixture found over on avforums. makes quite a difference than the bog standard magnolia that was there before.

my projector in there is a sanyo plv-z700 with 'lens-shift', so it sits in the corner by the amp (you can see it in one of the pics) and projects perfectly central onto the wall. the beauty of this is i can adjust the picture to suit my mood. if i fancy the full on experience, i drop the black-out blind and give it full-zoom! otherwise, if i'm casually watching from the computer, i tend to have it a bit smaller. by bypassing the screen and projecting straight onto the wall, the options are increased. i'm also partial to a bit of Gran Turismo 6 too!

IMG_20140308_120137.jpg

IMG_20140308_120247.jpg

IMG_20140308_120310.jpg

there is too much tech kit to mention in there, but the 27inch Hazro monitors are my pride and joy! :)

edit: there is a Canton 5.1 setup in there too, and it sounds just as good, if not better (due to the small confined space) as the sound in the lounge...

Last edited:
I'm sure its the rear speakers that should be ear level.

An amp and separate speakers are definaltey the way to go for a top surround sound setup.

I've got a Onkyo 509 and some Jamo speakers. Got them off AVforums a while ago so they are probably both a bit dated now but they do the job superbly still. Its does Dolby True HD and DTS HD so i shouldn't need to upgrade in that respect either.

If your looking at upgrading your amp next i would definitely recommend a Onkyo.

Fuck me did i speak to soon or what!!!!

My amp has decided to pack up on me just when i was saying i wasn't even thinking about a upgrade in that respect.

Need to search and buy a new fucking Amp now....

Fuck me did i speak to soon or what!!!!

My amp has decided to pack up on me just when i was saying i wasn't even thinking about a upgrade in that respect.

Need to search and buy a new fucking Amp now....

'What Hi-Fi' magazine have just had their yearly awards issue, so it might be worth seeing what the winners of the amp section were...

'What Hi-Fi' magazine have just had their yearly awards issue, so it might be worth seeing what the winners of the amp section were...

Ill have a look nice one.

Was seriously thing about getting a Sony STRDN1040 but i contacted Onkyo and even though its 7 months out of warranty they are fixing it for free as a "good will" gesture.

Happy days and great service from Onkyo :)

Picked up a new Projector.

My old one started getting dodge pixels, not too noticeable, but it would annoy me in the end as it developed.

Picked up an Optoma DS330. Still need to check a few things out to get the best picture and stuff.

Good thing is it comes with Full 3D, so I've purchased 4 glasses to go with it, so looking forward to trying it out on 3D.

FD

Back
Top Bottom