PS2 optional controllers and WE - Logitech, Thrustmaster, etc

Mauras

Premiership
7 October 2002
Already discussed this once: Sony bullshits us with their PS2 controllers, built to last months and make you buy another. This changed from the PSX days, I still have my PSX controllers nice and neat, with Rs and Ls buttons working fine but the PS2 controllers... very "clever" from Sony, if someone has opened them knows what I'm talking about, those Rs and Ls buttons are built to break.

So... tired of being robbed by sony I decided to start trying some new controllers.

First I wen't for Logitech months ago. Their controllers seemed to be very consistent looking and I had an image of quality regarding them. The controller is great to ppl who use analog but d-pad... completely unresponsive, useless and misleading. Left that one aside.

Now I just bought myself the new thrustmaster (compatible with PC and PS2), haven't tried it but it looks and feels great, now comes the great challenge: WE. Will try it today.

Anyone knows about good optional controllers that play well with WE and last a bit longer than Sony crap?

cheers

mauras-

i've tried a couple of different 3rd party controllers, but honestly they were much less solid than the sony controllers. i agree that they aren't perfect (i've broken a couple) but they are a lot better than any non-sony ones i've tried.

thrustmaster made some great joysticks for the PC, the quality was always solid. hopefully you will have luck with that. but for me, i like the ergonomics of the sony controller best. and while they do break, they give about two years or so of use in my experience..

w years? lucky mate :). My last platinum sony controler lasted 3 months before the first plastic part that holds the R1 from going in was broken. Open one and see how thin those parts are and you'll see how sony robs us.

You could try the cordless logitech one?

Quality, very responsive and durable.

Mauras said:
w years? lucky mate :). My last platinum sony controler lasted 3 months before the first plastic part that holds the R1 from going in was broken. Open one and see how thin those parts are and you'll see how sony robs us.

yeah i believe you that there are some flimsy pieces in there (such as sticking shoulder buttons, analogue sticks breaking etc).. but wow three months? don't get so frustrated playing WE brother! :) get a stress ball! (j/k i throw my ps2 controller in frustration many a time playing 2P WE)

My original PS2 controller still works fine but the ones I got with my silver console have broken really easilly, Sony cutting corners.

Dead Man said:

hmm.. I looked at it yesterday and didn't buy that because of the bad experience with the regular logitech.. the d-pad was just lousy... but I might try it.

Mauras said:
hmm.. I looked at it yesterday and didn't buy that because of the bad experience with the regular logitech.. the d-pad was just lousy... but I might try it.

lol foss I never threw a controller ever lol but I seen that.. yet the R1 button breaks too easely with regular usage, since WE makes so much use of R1 and R2.. I see many ppl that play WE break them while other ppl that don't play WE or PES have more durable controllers.. but sony is lowsy cause the PSX controllers were great and never broke.

Mauras said:

Th d-pad is a bit loose but its good for the game and also Sont endorse it!

You could look at reviews online.

will look at it... what I found in the cord logitech was that the d-pad was tricky and slow.. it looked as sometimes it "freezed" a direction and wasn't fast enough making those turns, also misleading in some situations, making diagonals when you wanted to go forward, etc.

Maybe the cordless is different, the d-pad looked different in design anyway.

I've had 2 PS2 controllers for like 4 years now. Still working.
My PS1 controller is still working...

I know you don't wanna hear this but it's how you use it...

don't think so jumbo because I'm not exacly hulk so if the R1 plastic holders can't stand my pressure then it's sony's fault, specially when there are several ppl complaining about the same. The strangest thing (but clarifing) is that I played about 3,4 years intensive Pro Evo in PSX and my PSX controllers are 100% ok, but the material was surely much more resisting.

I can also point out the example of the official national championships to find portuguese finalists for the european konami championship.. I wen't there, picked the controller to make my game and guess what... R1 plastic holders broken, you could hear the caracteristic noise of the piece wandering around the controller and the R1 button got stuck often... a controller from an oficial tourney.

It's quite common, specially in recent controllers, because the original controller I bought with my PS2 (one of the first in Portugal) lasted a long time.

one comment is since you say they're more durable why not just use a dualshock psx controller? i don't think WE uses the analogue buttons.. in fact i dont use analogue buttons on games that even support them. i just go 0 or 100%.. and tap to adjust.. not like the xbox controller where the triggers are acutally useful for analogue.

if i didnt enjoy indirect free kicks so much i would just use a regular non-analogue psx controller with WE.

I remember when I started playing WE5 I started using sometimes the PSX controller but it looked less responsive than the dualshock ps2 controllers, and then a mate told me that in fact PSX controlers, although worked, weren't as perfect in PS2 as the original sony PS2 controllers. the PSX controllers I refer aren't even dualshock, they are the ones without the analog sticks, the first ones, very solid by the way, never broke.

well i have used PSX controllers on WE and they seem perfectly fine. does your mate have any other information backing up his claim that they are "less responsive" for WE? it's not like when you press the button, the electrical signal is slower on the PSX controller than the PS2.

i think the only difference is the fact that the buttons are analogue on the PS2 controller, which if WE supports analogue buttons (not sure), then any button presses utilizing the height bar might be easier to feather. anyway for me, i just tap+tap+tap.

i still think youre not going to find a better controller for the PS2 than the OEM sony ones. however badly you think they may suck, the third party ones always end up sucking more, IMHO.

Dead Man said:
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-5266-1169-x-x-x

Gamespot review of the wireless logitech PS2 pad!

About that review I'm afraid it states the same problems with the regular Logitech "loose d-pad, inacurate..."

tried the thrusmaster yesterday and...

1) it's pretty solid but the ergonomics aren't great, it's too big for a quick usage of R and L buttons.

2) the d-pad is too rigid, you have to make double effort to get the same results as sony.

3) the analog is better than sony, I'm not an analog user and found myself playing with the analog and rather good, but the difficulty in using the R1, R2 and L1 make this quality meaningless.

So... thrusmaster might be a cool option for guys with 2,10m and big hands, but not for me :).

Will take advantage of the 30 day satisfaction guarantee and exchange it for the cordless logitech then, hopping it's better than the cord version.

Last edited:
I love my Nyko Airflow. It absolutely rocks, and feels and plays better than the original. I use it on the PC, but it should be the same as the PS2.

Mauras said:
About that review I'm afraid it states the same problems with the regular Logitech "loose d-pad, inacurate..."

Yep the d-pad is loose but the rest is cool tho

Dead Man said:

It is indeed the best wireless controller, but I really recommend against using it for playing Winning Eleven or other sports games where you need to use the D-pad a lot (IF you use the Dpad that is... and I think most ppl still do). My D-pad broke down recently after I think about 6 months of play with it. I was really disappointed, and I'm currently looking for that warrenty slip so that perhaps I can get a new one.

yep, as I suspected. Gues I'll take my thrustmaster back and buy the good old sony, praying that it lasts longer than the previous one.

What some guy here on the forum use to do was, he would buy the official controller from Argos, and get insurance(cover) with the product whioch cost a few pounds, then when the R1 button broke, he just got a replacement. I think cover included accidental damage or somehting.

I've got a wireless controller and find that there it is not not responsive enough for WE. It's fine for other games but there seems to be a delay between making a move, and the move being carried out.

It seems to work fine for other games.

ashmufc said:
What some guy here on the forum use to do was, he would buy the official controller from Argos, and get insurance(cover) with the product whioch cost a few pounds, then when the R1 button broke, he just got a replacement. I think cover included accidental damage or somehting.

yep, if one's careful enough in saving the receipt Sony has to give you a new controller if you break it in the first year (unless they can prove you threw it against a wall or something... not that rare in WE :)).

Back
Top Bottom