Question about EPL

SSJbrolly

League 2
4 August 2003
I don't live in the UK, but I follow the EPL, but this year I'm getting a bit confused on their fixtures, I mean this year's boxing day it was round 19, supposely the last of the first leg of the league, so how come chelsea played with Aston Villa for example? As they already played them on the 5th round. Then for example I supposed that if first round was Chelsea vs Man Utd the 20th round (the 1st of the 2nd leg) would be Man Utd vs Chelsea, but it isn't.

How the hell is EPL organized? I think this is really weird compared with the continental leagues. Chelsea will play Portsmouth 2 times for EPL within a few weeks, for me this seems really strange, why don't they follow the normal 2 legs way like all other major continental championships do?

I'm not saying if this way is better or not (for me the normal 2 legs mode seems more reasonable), I'm just trying to understand the reasons they went this way.

there are often conflicts with teams from the same city (man U and Man City for eg) not playing at home on the same day which prevents a direct repetition of fixtures

biker_jim_uk said:
there are often conflicts with teams from the same city (man U and Man City for eg) not playing at home on the same day which prevents a direct repetition of fixtures

umm that wouldn't be a reason to explain it I think, that happens in most continental leagues, in Serie A for example some teams even share their stadiums and that doesn't avoid them of playing 2 legs the normal way.

For me this seems really weird, but I guess is something unique to the english football atmosphere like playing right after christmas and new year :)

going out on a limb here... could the champions league / uefa cup / fa cup / and carling cup fixtures have something to do with it perhaps?

-fb

Back
Top Bottom