QUIZ... is it the full game, or is it the demo?

Which video is which?

• Video #1 is the full game and video #2 is the demo version

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Video #1 is the demo version and video #2 is the full game

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • I really can't tell

Votes: 29 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
So, there's a lot of talk about the demo and retail (v1.02) being very different gameplay and AI experiences.

I thought it'd be interesting to record two matches, one from each version, and upload them for you to vote on.

This ISN'T "vote for which you like best".
It's "vote for which you think is the full game".

Take a good look at things like game speed, pass accuracy, ball "randomness", AI patterns of play, fouls, cards... and tell us which you think is which.

VIDEO #1:

VIDEO #2:

Some notes...

Video #1 has me swearing and talking briefly, then muting the game for a second, because I didn't know the mic was on. Apologies...

Both videos have some cuts, which will be obvious. This is because I couldn't get the demo to stop coming up with the damn "info" messages during gameplay, which would make it obvious which was which.

I've made cuts after fouls and set pieces so, hopefully, it shouldn't be possible to tell them apart by anything other than gameplay.

Both are Boca (me) v Juventus (AI), PA1, basic shooting, Superstar AI, five minute halves, speed 0, Allianz Arena at night, summer/fine, normal grass, and normal form arrows.

ALSO... I'm playing like shit on purpose, to give the AI more possession, so we can study it. :D

Over to you @gabe.paul.logan...

Don't forget to comment on why you voted for your choice below! I won't reveal the answer publicly for a few days because it'll ruin the poll but if you want to know now... Send me a PM and I'll let you know.

EDIT: If anything gives it away for certain (e.g. a certain adboard only appears in the demo), PM me and keep it to yourself, don't spoil the poll - but there shouldn't be anything...!

Last edited:
I voted Video 1 full game and Video 2 demo but I also haven't noticed any difference between the two versions. As I was watching this, I'm really thinking it's placebo.

My reason for choosing is that the video 1 seems "slightly faster" but again, I don't notice anything different in the video or in playing the game myself so I'm really just trying to nitpick based off community feedback.

• Staff
I voted Video 1 full game and Video 2 demo but I also haven't noticed any difference between the two versions. As I was watching this, I'm really thinking it's placebo.

My reason for choosing is that the video 1 seems "slightly faster" but again, I don't notice anything different in the video or in playing the game myself so I'm really just trying to nitpick based off community feedback.
I've created a new vote option just for you (which I should have been clever enough to include in the first place). :D

Nice and very interesting poll.

I think video 2 is the demo because the animations looks slightly smoother, gameplay looks a bit slower and more organic.

Last edited:
I didnt vote yet. Just came to sing a song.

"Easy tackles, less loose ball,
More on rails, fouls count low,
Going back to 1.0! Kits dont really matter......
......too meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

Adaaaaaaaaaaam, just bought a game...
...Didnt even play it yet...
...but my head is fucking wrecked!
Adaaaaaaaaam! [...]"

Thats all I got so far... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Im gonna go with demo video 1. Then again really hard to tell them apart. You could just say: theyre the same version . and I wouldnt be surprised.

Went with demo 1 because of the mild tackle that was called a foul from juve. Lately in my gameplay they just bounce off like bumper cars. I dont play superstar so maybe thats why the ai was so aggresive
Its a good exercise. I usually dont notice difference but i can tell with controller in hand full game feels less loose

Demo video 1. Full game video 2

Method:
First of all, I have to declare that I don't play offline, at all.

Then I have to also highlight the things that seems to be different to me (and many of other online manual players), when comparing the demo to full game:
- The hyperactive speed (players go from 0 to full speed in 2 steps now)
- body blocking animation not activating now
- players not very responsive to free/loose balls now (slow balls hits their body without trying to control)
- not many body challenge fouls now

So these are the things I try to look for in your videos

Analysis:
U can hardly breathe and craft a play in video 2. U get squeezed out before anything even develops. All passes horizontal, and even those aren't completely safe. I mean, u can hardly even find a moment to turn and face forward direction in the second video. In the first video,u can, there are moments to breathe, moments where Juve players are holding their roles and positions. In the second they are more like hounding u, leaving position (basically a bit like online a-hole pressure lol)

And losing possession comes more from collisions in the second video The (symptom of simplified pressure/collision, without fouls, and without activation of body block animation). First video, when u l get squeezed, there are moments when u would you to sandwich your body between the pressing player and the ball the ball, trying to ride out the pressure, sometimes even collecting the foul from a body challenge. This is close to non existent in the second video.

Hyperactive speed acceleration of players making a explosive run to track back and to pressure u, is seen very often in video 2. Whereas in video 1 they take a little more time to jump from 0 speed to aggressive full speed. Anyhow they are more human-like in video 1, the explosiveness, and the time it takes them to read the situation.

I voted that I really can't tell, but if you had me choose: first video is the demo and second one is full game.

Can't really tell the difference from those video.
It's been busy week, so I only able to play about 5 games.
Gameplay wise I only notice less fouls and less responsiveness in the full game.
Other than that it's pretty much the same.

Also I noticed a little frame stutter in the full game, while in the demo it is very smooth.

AI is closing you down much quickly on the second video. Passing doesn't look as easy for you than in the first one. On the other hand the AI is passing the ball more quickly and spend less time with the ball at the feet in the second video. The n°1 is demo, n°2 is the patched full game.

This is a really good idea, but most of my gripes are against pressuring. Offline is very similar to the demo, and i'm enjoying that, so I would guess they'd look the similar. The same test against a pressuring online player would be alot more clear. You can hardly hold up play now. :-( Players were trying it in the demo and i could combat it.

I voted
Video #1 is the demo version and video #2 is the full game
Why? Sh... I don't know. Seemed more free, less rails and the ball seemed heavier.
When are you going to tell us who won and give away the prizes?

ALSO... I'm playing like shit on purpose, to give the AI more possession, so we can study it. :D
Yeah, right... :PP

Really interesting post this!

Main thing I noticed - the squared pass by AI at 2:45 on #2 was absolutely appalling :LOL:

#1 Full game
#2 Demo

Why? Simply because Ronaldo absolutely left you for dead on #2 and didn't even attempt to take a single player on during the other video.

Was more difficult than I thought it would be. The number of fouls made me question my decision, so I won't be surprised if I'm wrong as I based it almost entirely on one moment.

Having not played the demo Albeit one half of a game (because it didnt match up to my 2019 frankenstein, Pes17 ai/2020 tweaks gameplay version) i will hazard a guess.....
video1 This looks how i remember the demo slow and clunky and unresponsive, However after reading your guys feedback and knowing how con army like to step backwards from the demo, i would have to say its the full game.

Video 2 The difference is chalk & cheese, looks like it should be the full game, but i bet its the demo. My pc demo never ran this smooth. But this is an honest opinion from someone who has had very little to do with 2020.

So on the face of it i would say vid 1 Demo, vid 2 full game.
But with experience of comments & the past i would finally settle on the reverse.

Video 2 is the full game. Quite obvious.

I'll elaborate.

Video 2 is fast. The passing is crisper, the pressurising is more aggressive, the mistakes are less. There is less dribbling.

fouls make it a bit obvious that #2 is the full game (I think! lol)
would also be interesting to see the same concept applied to version 1.00 and 1.02 - i think people would have a much harder time picking those.

This is a really good idea, but most of my gripes are against pressuring. Offline is very similar to the demo, and i'm enjoying that, so I would guess they'd look the similar. The same test against a pressuring online player would be alot more clear. You can hardly hold up play now. :-( Players were trying it in the demo and i could combat it.
This is the biggest difference between the demo and the full game - I used to absolutely demolish pressure spammers online, simply by being able to hold up the ball by shielding, dribbling through, changing direction, using all kinds of first touches, bursts, body feints, etc.

In the full game I feel like I'm forced to just pass it around all the time, because the pressure is unbelievably effective, and it's unbelievably easy to apply, with no consequences - those same headless chickens can now just hold down a button and dispossess every one of my players without ever conceding a foul.

Such a shame, because besides this, the game really is quite good.

It's hard to tell by watching, I'd go as far as saying that video 2 looks better (especially right after kick-off, and that Dybala pass was exquisite) but I know that the demo felt much better.

I'd even argue that the release version is perhaps more realistic, but it feels like PES 2019 to me.

I'm going in for day 3 after an unsatisfying day 2, played a couple of matches yesterday but quit around 60th minute of the second game as I really wasn't enjoying it.

Video 1 is the demo imo.
It is not so obvious difference, but it seems more free.

And man, that bloody hell YELLOW GRASS OH-MY-GOD I HAAAAATEEE IT. Soooo much. Jesus Christ. YELLOW IS EVERYWHERE. GOD DAMN STUPID YELLOW FLUORESCENT GRASS.

1st vid is the full game, 2nd is the demo. Perhaps im just a nerd but
[spoiler redacted so it doesn't ruin the poll :P]

However ill be honest i was shocked that there is less pressing in the full game and you could control the match in both versions. Maybe it was the cup mode i started where the cpu is more agressive. Fouls kinda the same but i believe due to the 5 mins, i had 12-15min games with the extender on PC with the demo and its obvious v1.01 has less with the same match length. As for dribbling, again not enough time to tell due to 5 min and you could control the game easily but i saw the cpu dribbling with Dybala and Ronaldo in the second vid but none in the first.

@Chris Davies is this PS4 i guess? Maybe i could do one for PC with the demo's time extender for full experience, a 10 min game. Thing is that i have to create a new steam account for it first due to the full game i have, not so sure i have the passion :D...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't really tell the difference.
If I had to forcibly choose one, well, I'd say that the penalty you give away in video #2 seems the perfect example of a "pre-patch referee" to me.

1. Demo
2. Full game

Why? Second clip:
- snappier in both passing and first touch
- slightly bigger ball
- more AI play through the middle
- looks like X holding defence pressure is on full whack, player being thrown off balance yet nothing is called as FK

I went with video 1 as demo, video 2 as full game. Hard to tell though because I've only had one game vs AI on the full release. I thought the AI attacking seemed like it had more about it in the second video, and more variety. The AI weren't especially physical in either (though the fouls at the end of the first vid were plenty). But the thing for me is that when they were physical, in the second video, or when there were moments where players were close, we saw: less tussling & shielding, less effective tussling & shielding, and more near-collisions where players ran off with the ball. That is the biggest change between the demo and full game for me, so I'm going with that. But for a 5min game watching while on the bog, I can accept being wrong here lol.

The poll is over. The answer is below...

Video #1 was the full game! Video #2 was the demo! Which makes the poll results AND certain posts very interesting! :D

As @gabe.paul.logan pointed out (and I edited away, so as not to spoil it)... Kean's hair is slightly different in the full game. But I've got the full videos saved if anyone wants full and proper evidence. ;)

IMO, the big tell is the AI. Ronaldo tries to run inside in video #2, and the AI try to hit through-passes to the wings. In the full game, video #1, you can see a lot of direct play from the AI.

I miss that stuff, and fouls - a lot. But there are far more advantages to the full version. I have a feeling they'll patch some of the good stuff back in - fingers crossed.

Video #1 was the full game! Video #2 was the demo! Which makes the poll results AND certain posts very interesting! :D

As @gabe.paul.logan pointed out (and I edited away, so as not to spoil it)... Kean's hair is slightly different in the full game. But I've got the full videos saved if anyone wants full and proper evidence. ;)

IMO, the big tell is the AI. Ronaldo tries to run inside in video #2, and the AI try to hit through-passes to the wings. In the full game, video #1, you can see a lot of direct play from the AI.

I miss that stuff, and fouls - a lot. But there are far more advantages to the full version. I have a feeling they'll patch some of the good stuff back in - fingers crossed.

And possibly remove some of the good stuff we got with v1.1 :D

Why? Simply because Ronaldo absolutely left you for dead on #2 and didn't even attempt to take a single player on during the other video.

I won't be surprised if I'm wrong as I based it almost entirely on one moment.
Smug mode engaged :LOL:

The main thing that made me decide that video 2 is the demo is:
There's a segment on video 2 where there's frequent ball shielding without being dispossessed.
I also think the animation is smoother, there's more animation detail when turning or doing stuff making it look more organic.
And it looks slower to me. The ball travels slower when passing and shooting.
I didn't even look at how the AI attacks/behave to decide.

After my post about choosing video 2 as the demo, I went to the supermarket.
When I came back, I read the other comments and re-watched the video and almost changed my mind, especially since most of the other poster choose video 1 as the demo and I don't want to be the person who see things differently/wrongly. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom