Real Madrid Thread

Cambiasso's starter position is replaced by Guti. If Guti's co-captain, at least he has to start. If you ask me, when Raul's not around, Salgado should be captain.

I would keep the captain Spanish - Madrid being the capital and all . . . .

what about united then, they got an irish captain and welsh vice captain!!!

i think it doesnt matter in this day and age, so long as they can speak the native tongue shoudlnt matter whether they captain is spanish, dutch, brazilian or even martian. so long as they can do the job.

anyways, isnt Raul captain?

Do your research on the Spanish history in the capital. The Madrid faithful love Raul and his Spanish counterparts, so it makes sense to have a Spanish captain. I agree though, it doesn`t matter where the player is from, as long as he can command the 11, drive them on and communicate with them all.

yeah but they are footy supporters at the end of the day, fans will love whoever wins them games.

Yes, Raul IS the captain, we're talking about who should be captain if Raul is unavailable (which is happening quite a lot lately).

If you say lead the 11 and play I'd say Figo, seconded by Zidane. Figo's powerful dribbles down the right and techniques can inspire any teammate to go forward and give it 100%. Still, I miss Hierro, big loss for Real without him.

Well i knew it, i had a feeling Real would get an equaliser from a penalty!! Last minute of the bloody game! Both teams drop two points though, hey what's that coming up from below... :shock:

:)<It's us, Barcelona, and we're after the title!

Now we can all see how Real are still unbeating at home this season. Something needs to be done about these dodgy refs.

Valencia fury over Real penalty

MADRID, Feb 16 (Reuters) - Valencia coach Rafa Benitez and club president Jaime Orti were astounded by the decision to award a last-gasp penalty that enabled Real Madrid to scramble a 1-1 draw against them at the Bernabeu.

Rafa Benitez: Penalty anger (TonyMarshall/Empics)

Valencia appeared to be on course for a victory that would have allowed them to knock Real off the top of the table after Argentine defender Roberto Ayala scored with a powerful header 15 minutes from time on Sunday.

But three minutes into injury time referee Pedro Tristante Oliva awarded a penalty when Valencia defender Carlos Marchena and Real Madrid striker Raul tussled for the ball in the area.

Portuguese midfielder Luis Figo converted the spot kick.

'I can't believe they've done it again,' Valencia president Jaime Orti told reporters. 'I feel powerless and angry, it is a complete joke and the same thing happens every year.

'If we are going to be treated like this we might as well stay at home. Everyone saw what happened and it is a very sad day for Spanish football.'

Valencia coach Benitez was equally upset by the referee's decision.

'Its hard to explain to anyone who saw the game why we didn't win,' he told a post-match news conference. 'You could have 100 games like that and nobody would have given that penalty.'

Real Madrid coach Carlos Queiroz refused to comment on the incident, but Raul insisted that the referee had made the correct decision.

'It was a penalty,' he said. 'I certainly didn't dive -- there was contact.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=291583&cc=5739

fd1972uk said:
Terrible decision to rob Valencia top spot.

FD

Even worse I had a single bet on Valencia to win. :(

I exploded when the ref awarded the penal. :twisted:

Well on a whole i just don't like Real Madrid, i havent done for years, ll my mates know it and some agree. The whole issue with the King wiping out debts is unfair, the fact that they are completely adored by referees in La Liga and the fact i'm a strong Barcelona fan.

Truthfully, whoever they are playing, i always sit at home or in the pub, wanting them to lose. It may just be a gut feeling and not really justified but events like last night are simply sad and it brings a whole cloud over fair play in football. Some of my mates just watch them like they are gods but beyond the classy play which admitedly they do come out with, they are given preferential treatment and it stinks of shite

I'm an Atletico Madrid fan so you may know how much i hate real, but as you said prox it's just sad to see incidents like that happening, and God helps valencia's players who are really frustrated right now.

As the Valencia coach said, sometimes you are 'powerless' and things will simply happen no matter what. The view of a referee these days are sided towards the bigger clubs, or the teams who have players who know how to cheat or play unfairly. A lot of decisions are made with the crowds instincts too. Except for last night when the referee at the Nou Camp got a right bloody bollocking from the crowd and he still sent off Edgar Davids

A right Real robbery
What do you do when Real Madrid are 1-0 down and the Prime Minister's watching? Sid Lowe gives us Pedro Tristante Oliva's answer.

Sid Lowe
Monday February 16, 2004
The Guardian

With his short crop, neat central parting and teensy toothbrush moustache, Pedro Tristante Oliva is every inch the 1930s gentleman about town, or rather, about the military base where he works. But Pedro is not just an odd-looking man who loves strutting about in uniform; he is also a referee - one who last night displayed impeccable timing as leaders Real Madrid faced second-placed Valencia at the Bernabéu.

A superb first half gave way to a frustrating stop-start second, with Tristante frantically whistling like a builder on his lunch break, when a towering thunderbolt of a header from Roberto Fabián Ayala put Valencia 1-0 up. Madrid, lacking creativity without the suspended Zinedine Zidane and with Ronaldo completely absent, were on the verge of losing a first home match this season. Typically solid, Valencia were top.

Then Tristante struck: in the 93rd minute, before a stadium silently emptying since Ayala's goal fifteen minutes before, he gave a penalty. No one could believe it. Madrid didn't appeal and Valencia centre-back Carlos Marchena thought Tristante had blown the other way. But no: Raúl backed into Marchena (whose arm appeared to come across him), fell on the floor and Madrid stayed two points clear rather than one behind thanks to what El País describes as "a referee's imagination".

No wonder the Valencian press, subjected to abuse from departing Madrid fans, went loco, nipping out for a plate of ropey-looking chorizo for the cover of this morning's Super Deporte - Spain's spicy sausage, you see, is also slang for thief. "Robbery, theft, hands up ... look in your dictionary, you'll find mountains of synonyms," scribed wordy, wooly jumper-wearing Carlos Bosch from Countdown Corner. "Synonyms that explain last night. At the Bernabéu they know more about that than anyone else - about robberies, that is, not synonyms."

It wasn't just the press, either. "This has become a complete joke," raved Valencia president Jaime Ortí, who has seen major Bernabéu decisions go against his side four visits running. "We're never going to win here - we might as well stay at home." Manager Rafa Benítez agreed, steam coming out his ears like a man with a kettle wedged up his nose: "You'll see a hundred of those and not a single penalty, ever. We have to do double to achieve half as much. The referee gave one minute of additional time then changed it to three. How am I supposed to console my players?"

Simple, said Marchena: "I'd stick the ref in the freezer".

Inevitably, the seasoned crime-victims, political analysts and conspiracy theorists of Catalunya back Valencia. El Mundo Deportivo's headline reads "Under cover of darkness and with intent", while Sport insists that it was "just like old times, just like modern times, just like always. Hands up! Madrid is mucho Madrid - at all levels. The referee invented a penalty worth a league title. That is all-powerful Madrid for you."

Even pro-Madrid Marca is slightly on side, stating: "It wasn't a penalty, as 95% of those who understand football know", although it comes as little surprise to find AS in the dissenting 5%. Editor Alfredo Relaño not unreasonably rejects the "black legend", but the paper's "objectivity" is rather wobbly. "Marchena doesn't go for the ball, instead he holds Raúl back", Relaño insists, even though AS's own photo-board "proving" the penalty show his eyes fixed on the ball. Besides, the sequence, while depicting Marchena's arm over Raúl's shoulder, is misleading - taken straight on, it doesn't show that Raúl leant in; nor, being frozen, does it reveal the origin of the contact.

A week of furious argument is guaranteed - because what really made Tristante Oliva's timing so utterly impeccable was the game he chose: this particular Sunday at the Bernabéu, with the director's box full of politicians led as ever by Prime Minister José María Aznar, a man with the charisma of plywood. As Marca put it, "it was a bad day to give a penalty" - just as Madrid and referees were trying to escape the eye of a storm following Wednesday night's clash between Zidane and Sevilla's nails centre-back Dr. Pablo Alfaro.

Zidane went in on Alfaro, the Sevillista dug his forearm into Zidane's back and the Frenchman responded with a not very hard slap. Despite insisting football is a game for "men", Alfaro pathetically went down like he'd been smacked with a breezeblock-encrusted cricket bat and Zidane was sent off. So incensed was Madrid sporting director Jorge Valdano (representing a "gentleman of a club" that never talks about referees) he went down to the ref's dressing room for words. At half time. Early in the second half, Sevilla had Javi Navarro sent off - not something they considered a coincidence.

All hell let loose, with everyone ranting away like the knife-wielding, Tasmanian Devil football shirt-wearing, carton of wine-sloshing drunkard who lives near this column. AS's front page loudly insisted Zidane was ¡INOCENTE! even though the slap was clear. And Madrid lost their appeal to delay his ban (as they invariably do, because the disciplinary committee is terrified of being accused of Madridismo) - leading the Ultra Sur to unveil huge banners attacking the committee as "a disgrace" and accusing Valencia and Sevilla of being "cry babies", "two more clowns in the circus".

But the decision came too late to stop the government team jibes, especially from legendary Madrid-baiter Jesús Gil. Never one to miss a decent rant, whoever's fight it actually is, Atlético Madrid's gelatinous president spat: "If I had done what Valdano did they would have electrocuted me. Madrid is the Government's team and Florentino Pérez is God. The rest of us are subnormal, a bunch of village idiots."

If Zidane kept quiet, Alfaro didn't. "It's pathetic, Valdano acted like a Mafioso. Madrid have to win every game or else," he said. "And, as usual people are judged by reputations. You'd think the galácticos pissed perfume."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4859978-106108,00.html

It's true, as Real manager Joaquin is someone i'm very interested in and if I can pick up another few 800 points from a couple of victories in the evo-web fantasy league who knows ;) :D

Nickybaker said:
It's true, as Real manager Joaquin is someone i'm very interested in and if I can pick up another few 800 points from a couple of victories in the evo-web fantasy league who knows ;) :D

Nah mate, you're goin' down, he's coming to Barca :mrgreen: <laughing at myself>

zidanehasta2007.jpg

Breakin News !

Zidane extend his contract to Real Madrid until in 2007 !

Back
Top Bottom