really losing patience with pes5

bobbyMc

Non-League
17 November 2005
This game is really making me mad! It ran BEAUTIFULLY at 1280x1024, high details, on my P41.7/GFTi4600/256MBRAM machine, but now I upgrade to an Athlon643200/GF6600/1GBRAM it runs like a dog.

For some reason, the frame rate drops to 40fps and stutters like a gimp whenever I turn details on to 'high', but is locked and smooth at 60fps at medium detail. This is the same whatever resolution it's set in and whatever refresh rate it is at.

I've tried as many refresh rate locking tools to lock the monitor at 60, vsync on and off, 3d analyse and everything else and nothing is fixing it. I'm beginning to think that Konami don't give a *&%$ about optimisation and catering for pc owners at all, and while I enjoy the game immensely it's sheer lack of quality programming is taking away my enjoyment of the game.

if anyone can help me fix this i'd be really grateful. just hope it's before i give up on konami for good...

:mad:

It's annoying but it's not that bad. Not yet, anyway.

I did think about downloading the Fifa06 demo to try again - played it once a while ago and thought "same old crap" - but woke up and beat myself with a rusty pipe for thinking such terrible thoughts.

First, dont blame Konami for the lack of optimization - would you rather just play FIFA? thats how it would be if there was no greatness that is Konami.

To your problem. Have you enabled AA and AF? If you did that could be a reason, aslo try playing in Window mode alt+enter, newer video drivers are key as well, go to omegacorner.net - and download the optimized drivers.

my drivers are the latest forceware from nVidia. tried omega's, and dhzeropoint too, both made the problem worse. if it's the monitor's fault, why is it not stuttery and slow at every detail level - what's different about 'high', and I bet it's not the refresh rate! aa / af are both off, vsync makes no difference on or off. it's a pile of poorly optimized CRAP, and I'll blame Konami till hell freezes over cos I can and it's blatantly their fault.

call me selfish, but if I spend a boatload of money on a pc, i want to be able to expect it to be able to run a console game pretty damn well. It's happy with high-spec games (hl2, dm3 etc) but struggles with some 2-bit far-eastern rubbish. other software houses can make multi-platform games that actually REWARD the extra power of the pc (Codemasters, for instance, though rd3 looks to be very poor) rather than penalise it. cheeky buggers.

unless of course I blame myself for buying a computer configuration that konami didn't test their ps2 port on. that's it. it's my fault. silly me.

mazanga said:
You are absolutely right mate. I would be very unpleased with Konami if i would not be able to play PES anymore after buying an expensive PC.

Don't get me wrong - I can play it and I think it's awesome. However I can't really play it 'properly' as I'm getting p*ssed off by the fact that it will only run playable when it looks like a horses a*sehole. Pixellated, blurry and sh*t on medium detail, when I paid to be able to run pc games that look good! If valve / id can manage to program a game that uses a pc's power efficiently, why can't Kon-arse-i be bothered to? It's insulting is what it is!

its a port from the PS2, we knew it would be, it was last time. It runs perfectly on my set up, which is somewhat lower than yours. No PC works perfectly on all machines due to the thousands of variations in hardware configuration

They still could have done a better job. My son has an Ati 9200 128 mb graphics card and plays Counter Strike Source at fairly high resolutions. Even F.E.A.R. looks good on his PC. But PES5 looks like shit. That just isn't right.

bobbyMc said:
This game is really making me mad! It ran BEAUTIFULLY at 1280x1024, high details, on my P41.7/GFTi4600/256MBRAM machine, but now I upgrade to an Athlon643200/GF6600/1GBRAM it runs like a dog.

For some reason, the frame rate drops to 40fps and stutters like a gimp whenever I turn details on to 'high', but is locked and smooth at 60fps at medium detail. This is the same whatever resolution it's set in and whatever refresh rate it is at.

:mad:

I feel for you. I have a amd athlon xp3200/Radeon9800pro/1gb Ram and it runs absolutly fine at max res and detail. the game used also runs ok at 800x600 max detail on my old machine with 512mb SDram athlon1400 and radeon 9600.

well thats all Untill i play a lagger online.

Last edited:
FIXED!!!

After spending most of the afternoon playing around with driver settings, I've managed to fix the problem!!

\\:o/

For some reason, if I force the nVidia driver settings to force anisotropic filtering on, pes5 runs silky smooth at high detail in 1280x1024! Hooray!! Set up an app profile to force af on for pes5, and it's off to super-sharp silky smooth graphics heaven for me!

Phew!!

Last edited:
doesn't make me a fanboy. you guys take for granted sometimes at how it could be-stuck with one football genre on the PC.please, that woudl be teh worst. and so I look on the brightside, i'm an optimist, and think it could be alot alot worse. the game is a port of the ps2 - it has been since making it into the PC market, i've accepted it and have acknowledged it. you gotta make best with what you've got and frankly we've gotten quite a bit from Konami.I'm not going to go into it, but it is quite hard to optimize a port for the PC - so until KONAMI decide to create the next series from scratch for only the PC, and the optimization then is below par; i'll complain. so don't call people names like a little kid before you know their whole perspective. thanks and take care.

peace
m.l

and bobby congrats on getting it to work - i told you it was the AA and AF setting, it happens with me alot as well, but I've got a pretty good vid card to support those filters.

Sorry Matt I disagree, it's no one but Konami's fault if the game is defective in any way, that's why they're paid to test it and put things in readme files like 'This game does not support 'Graphics Chipset X', etc'. Sure there's a lack of decent footy on the platform, it doesn't mean bugs are acceptable, and even then why haven't they released patches to fix any bugs?

Although I didn't call you a fanboy ;).

I understand man, I agree as well - as a growing company in the PC world they need to learn to address issues like that and be consistent. the PC gaming consumers,as are consoles toa point, are in high demand for bug-free games and when one occurs of course the blame goes to that company.but sometimes the fact that we're PC in the first place determines the amount of service or consideration we'll get as opposed to the consoles-where the higher marketing comes from.

I know you didn't call me a fanboy - it doesn't really matter who or why - its just the fact that that card is played in every other thread with no constructive feedback or critcism and I honestly just disliked closeminded people :)

take care

peace
m.l

"don't blame konami for the lack of optimization" that was the quote - optimization isn't a bug, it's a lack of progression. the greatness that is Konami refers to the fact that yes, they are great,in comparison to any other title - do you have any other soccer/football titles that is greater than what Konami has put out?gawd knows FIFA isn't near legit, so based on those two remarks you label someone as a fanboy. quite mature - even after I explained myself. but whatever,i'll be the bigger man and hush up. take care.

and ClassicD thanks for actually having something constructive to say, your opinions I can at least value.I dont like to fight on the internet,
it's like "being in a special olympics marathon, no matter who wins you're still retarded." :)

peace
m.l

Back
Top Bottom