Red Dead Redemption 2

Went back to it recently, but tried online instead. Dont really remember where I was in the story, so decided to at least learn all the controls again this way.
Im quite surprised to be honest. Online contains a lot of missions with cutscenes and whole lot. It feels a bit like Story mode, just with other players around. Having some fun there. A lot of familar characters, even from RdR1.

Online was recently released as standalone, for 5€. If there's someone who would like to explore the world and have a bit of craic without spending 60quid for a full game - its a very good deal.

There are things I really dont like online:
- when you create a gang with your friends, but its only active when leader is online. Otherwise there is no gang.
- all members cant contribute or build freely. There is no donation box, or sharing items or money within the gang
Basically - the whole permanent gang, which costs 200 in-game Dolla is a bit pointless. You might as well just create temporary posse when your mates are online.

But overall there is a lot of fun to be had there. And you can switch your mode to "defensive", which means others cant see you on map and cant lock on you. They can only free aim. Which is good when it comes to online trolls.
Its also worth mentioning that all the people I met so far were fairly friendly and helpful.
Making it standalone version (last december) makes me think they havent finished with RdR Online yet and have some plans for it.
Seen an article where someone found that a lot of files within game were recently updated, like bank robberies, so this might be coming soon.
In general - 5quid for a free roam with few mates is well worth it
(Price will go up to 20quid by the end of feb)
Only downside - even tho its standalone online - you have to download full game, which is 200Gb.

Went back to it recently, but tried online instead. Dont really remember where I was in the story, so decided to at least learn all the controls again this way.
Im quite surprised to be honest. Online contains a lot of missions with cutscenes and whole lot. It feels a bit like Story mode, just with other players around. Having some fun there. A lot of familar characters, even from RdR1.

Online was recently released as standalone, for 5€. If there's someone who would like to explore the world and have a bit of craic without spending 60quid for a full game - its a very good deal.

There are things I really dont like online:
- when you create a gang with your friends, but its only active when leader is online. Otherwise there is no gang.
- all members cant contribute or build freely. There is no donation box, or sharing items or money within the gang
Basically - the whole permanent gang, which costs 200 in-game Dolla is a bit pointless. You might as well just create temporary posse when your mates are online.

But overall there is a lot of fun to be had there. And you can switch your mode to "defensive", which means others cant see you on map and cant lock on you. They can only free aim. Which is good when it comes to online trolls.
Its also worth mentioning that all the people I met so far were fairly friendly and helpful.
Making it standalone version (last december) makes me think they havent finished with RdR Online yet and have some plans for it.
Seen an article where someone found that a lot of files within game were recently updated, like bank robberies, so this might be coming soon.
In general - 5quid for a free roam with few mates is well worth it
(Price will go up to 20quid by the end of feb)
Only downside - even tho its standalone online - you have to download full game, which is 200Gb.
Sounds very positive experience. To be honest in my pre-kids era, when i had free all the time of the world, i used to play GTA V and other games, aside with the footy games. :)
When i tried GTA online, i was just a solo "idiot" having zero clue what to do and what not.. After 1-2 sessions i gave up, cause there was always havoc in city, some other "idiot" was chasing us with a Helicopter and throwing missiles on our heads, while me personally (at least) was trying to read the briefing text and walk some meters..

Well here in RDR 2 it sound very optimistic, if you met more friendly enviroment in online.

Well here in RDR 2 it sound very optimistic, if you met more friendly enviroment in online.
Yes, I think the fanbase itself is different on RdR than it is on GTA. Im sure RdR also have trolls who just ride around killing everyone, but
1. I havent met any yet
2. Defensive mechanics are helping with gievers.
You also have a thing called parley. If someone kills you few times you can just press parley and then he cant attack you for another 10mins.

So far im really enjoying it. Even when my mates are not online, im just doing my own things.
Recently, in example, I was fishing with bow and arrows, coz I cant afford fishing rod yet.. :LOL:

I would like to try this game but I am hesitant on the platform to buy it. PC or Series X? I can't find any video comparing the two versions. Prices are equivalent.
Any advice?

PC for the modding and better visual quality (depending on your PC spec) IMO.

Thanks for the reply.
I have a i7 6700 and a RTX3060. I am going to give it a go on steam and get a refund, if I can't run it on somehow good resolution (at least 1440) with a decent fps.

Last edited:
PC for the modding and better visual quality (depending on your PC spec) IMO.

I gave it a go on Steam for PC and also on th series X. It indeed looks much much better on PC even though I play it only with rhe quality slider to 3/4 and a 1440 resolution plus the auto DLSS. It looks stuning and run most of the time at 60FPS. I got a refund for the series X copy.

I gave it a go on Steam for PC and also on th series X. It indeed looks much much better on PC even though I play it only with rhe quality slider to 3/4 and a 1440 resolution plus the auto DLSS. It looks stuning and run most of the time at 60FPS. I got a refund for the series X copy.
I wish I'd get hooked on this game ,I can't for some reason ,I know it's great ,it looks amazing.
But I can't get in to it.
I've had it for two years or so.

I wish I'd get hooked on this game ,I can't for some reason ,I know it's great ,it looks amazing.
But I can't get in to it.
I've had it for two years or so.

You have to give it a lot of investment, like 3-4 hours in one sitting to get into it.
Once you have done that and got past the boring tutorial and start exploring the game is incredible.

There is so much to do, not part of the main missions, it is incredibly unique and hopefully in 10 years time there will be a Red Dead 3 which will be even bigger and better.

You have to give it a lot of investment, like 3-4 hours in one sitting to get into it.
Once you have done that and got past the boring tutorial and start exploring the game is incredible.

There is so much to do, not part of the main missions, it is incredibly unique and hopefully in 10 years time there will be a Red Dead 3 which will be even bigger and better.
Yes ,i remember it took me a year to get through that part ,I just turned it off.
I'm past that and have done a few missions ,but somehow it doesn't sit right with me.
I know it's a great game ,but atm not for me.
I'm going to sit down for a few hrs in the future and see if i can't get it liked.

I'll never forgive Rockstar for letting the potential of this game go to waste.
No offline story DLC's, or new modes, and online purely focused on moneygrabbing and grind.

With the world crafted like that - they could release countless of story DLCs.
They could also release Survival Mode.
They have everything in place - hunting, fishing, eating, small camps, temperature dependent clothing.
All they had to do was to ramp up penalties and harsh conditions and force people to eat/drink/sleep/hunt.

And dont get me started on Online..
It could have been the best Multiplayer in gaming history. If they introduced Community Servers, added base/house building.
We could have had entire towns built and ran by players, gangs living in camps.. it could have been something special.

Instead they gave us this horrible grind and boring, repetitive missions.
You play with friends but you cant share anything. Cant run a camp together. Basically - you play together but everyone is on their own.

Disgraceful.

I definitely agree with you on the DLC side.

The game is huge, but they could easily of released a massive expansion pack where you be a different character and do different missions.
But they only care about money grabbing and online, like GTA makes a massive amount of money. Hence why they have released GTA 5 on every system dating back to the C64.

Personally, I have never tried online as I found it so boring to get through the tutorial that, I turned it off.
Also as a couple of mates both said online was really boring.

Last edited:
Personally, I have never tried online as I found it so boring to get through the tutorial that, I turned it off.
Also as a couple of mates both said online was really boring
Its terrible. Like I said - you cant even share items with your mate on your travels. The only thing you can share are animal skins.
Cant create a camp together, cant work on the camp together, there's not even a box that other people could donate, so the leader could add stuff to it.
And obviously if host is not there - base wont be there either.
There is literally nothing to do there apart from boring delivery missions or bounty hunting.
It could have been a "living" wild west if they only put some effort.
But instead we have this:
Screenshot_20220317-181525_Twitter.jpg

I had my first long gaming session with it last night and it was amazing to see how the open word looks incredibly detailed and alive (like seeing foxes hunting rabbits). I had my first night storm and while playing with a headset, I had goose bumps.
At first I thought that horse travelling would quickly become boring, but out of those snowy mountains, the landscape is so beautiful and again alive, that I have spent two hours exploring around the gang camp.
Ah big plus of a horse over a car. You can whistle to call it!

Last edited:
I had my first long gaming session with it last night and it was amazing to see how the open word looks incredibly detailed and alive (like seeing foxes hunting rabbits). I had my first night storm and while playing with a headset, I had goose bumps.
At first I thought that horse travelling would quickly become boring, but out of those snowy mountains, the landscape is so beautiful and again alive, that I have spent two hours exploring around the gang camp.
Ah big plus of a horse over a car. You can whistle to call it!
Im quite proud to say it - finished entire game without fast travelling once.
This world is just too rich to fast travel.

Does the honor meter matter in terms of game ending? Or is it simply about consumable you can get at shops?

If I remember, you get slightly different endings depending on you honour at the end of the game.

Yes I have seen there are 4 different endings to the game, but 3 of them are based on decisions you make in the final mission.
To get the so called best ending it depends on making the right choices in the final mission and having HIGH Honour.

This game is so good I can enjoy it every day. Sadly I have to finish in the fastest way during winter holidays becouse free time is limited. It's remarkable how after so many years since release people find new and hidden stuff in the game. I missed 60fps on ps5 but no matter what, this is MASTERPIECE!

I had my first real session in Saint Denis and got robbed twice during the first hour... one was during a story mission and second one an unfortunate encounter in a little street (lost 700$).
This city already gives me nausea. I am missing the wild animals hunting and the beautiful landscape.

So after it took me months of tries back in 2019 to like this game ,I hated that snow thing start.
I made it out to that overlook camp then ,played aosdion or two ,never got hooked on it.
But after picking it up today ,approaching the Kingdome come/DayZ approach mainly discovering my surroundings ,hunting a bit I really love it.

My plan is just to ride around and open up the map ,then start hunting etc.
Any other suggestions for a fun start?
Main mission is played a bit further down the line

So after it took me months of tries back in 2019 to like this game ,I hated that snow thing start.
I made it out to that overlook camp then ,played aosdion or two ,never got hooked on it.
But after picking it up today ,approaching the Kingdome come/DayZ approach mainly discovering my surroundings ,hunting a bit I really love it.

My plan is just to ride around and open up the map ,then start hunting etc.
Any other suggestions for a fun start?
Main mission is played a bit further down the line
As far as I know - if you want a full experience - you need to push the story a bit, coz the map will expand along with the story.
But take your time. Do story missions while exploring the world and dont mind distractions.
Once you get fishing rod, bow and arrows and ability to set up little mobile camp - you can just live in the wild.😁

As far as I know - if you want a full experience - you need to push the story a bit, coz the map will expand along with the story.
But take your time. Do story missions while exploring the world and dont mind distractions.
Once you get fishing rod, bow and arrows and ability to set up little mobile camp - you can just live in the wild.😁
Yeah that's what I'm doing most of my time ,hunting and eating my preys,selling pelts etc.
I'm going to advance it later on ,just love hunting and getting to know the game ,and being unaware of the things around me.
Haven't even checked YouTube for spoilers ,just "what to feed your horse" etc

Love it

Last edited:
I get RDR2 2 times tryed 3 times to complete the story but:

I really like the first part in the snowy mountains and the story telling. But after this I even lost my interest.

In short. The openworld destroyes the story for my toughts.

It is more a reskin mod of a GTA game. For example. If you somewhere around the map in absolutley nowhere if you kill or rob someone. For what reason or why the hell did the marshalls know what there happened and that you was the bad guy. I mean where are the danm smartphones or securitycams or something. It is not logic. The marshalls are in around one minute to the place where it was.
This is for me absolutley gamebreaking.

Yea. There are cheats but with this you cant save your succes. It's so stupid made by rockstar.

And because of this. I don't like it and can not understand how guys love it. But if you all like it, no problem mate's. I can accept it.

~ my toughts about RDR2

Back
Top Bottom