Red Dead Redemption 2

Not a fan of the GTA games but I loved RDR. This looks great so far. May have to take a couple of sick days.

Last edited:
It is luckily half term the week after it comes out, so Mrs always goes away with the family.

I will be playing every night, but seriously doubt I will get anywhere near into the game.

My main gripe is Microsoft don't have keyboard and mouse support ready in time for release.. I really need to find someone at Microsoft to sleep with so I can get access to the Beta Firmware so I can do it now.
I can't play anything other than sports games with a controller.

The first one was ace, but I played it after I played GTA5, so the mechanics felt kind of clunky. Can't wait to play this. Looks insanely good.

Looks insane,I started playing RDR kinda late,like a year ago thanx to backwards compatibility on my Xbox.
Love that game

can't wait to get my hands on this piece of software!!
what they (probably) will deliver is nothing but INSANE (in a good way)! :D
open world, we had that before, but its a nice world. new gameplay features are nice too. but the whole world itself, NPC's, wildlife, interaction, whatever... is gonna be the star, i believe. this lifelike world... i hope/believe this is the feature that sets this title apart from others and suck me in for hours. :)
we will have the game in store about monday/tuesday... so i hope i can play from tuesday night (or at least wednesday)!
this is the last game i will buy this year.

edit: a friend of mine wanted to get that hunter2019 (no its not Alex Hunter the game!! :D) game. i told him to wait and get RDR2. :)

this guy nails it, imo:

Last edited:
Yep, can't wait. I'm really hoping RDR2 is one of those milestone games that moves the industry (or at least open world games) forward. We've seen a few get close in the last year or so, like Horizon Zero Dawn and GoW, but my expectations for this are sky-high.

Yep, can't wait. I'm really hoping RDR2 is one of those milestone games that moves the industry (or at least open world games) forward. We've seen a few get close in the last year or so, like Horizon Zero Dawn and GoW, but my expectations for this are sky-high.
as much as i enjoyed GOW or HZD, they did not push the barriers to much, imo! awesome games, for sure!! but with RDR2 i hope there really is something "new" to the way the world is "alife"! can't discribe it that good, but watch that video i posted above (if you havent) and you will get an idea of what i mean.
its a RPG if you want. its a first person shooter if you want. its a 3rd person shooter if you want. its a hunting game if you want. its a photo mode game if you want. its a western style game if you want. its a fishing game if you want. its a styling game if you want. soooooo much going on here i could go on! :D
and all these are nice (some new) features... but still, the world behind it, thats what i am looking for the most.
the interaction of NPC's (to me, to each other), the wildlife doing his own thing, the world evolving (see houses and such get build over time)... :D i bet your could do nothing in this world but roaming around looking at the life and it would be entertaining!
so damn looking forward! :BOP:

as much as i enjoyed GOW or HZD, they did not push the barriers to much, imo! awesome games, for sure!! but with RDR2 i hope there really is something "new" to the way the world is "alife"! can't discribe it that good, but watch that video i posted above (if you havent) and you will get an idea of what i mean.
its a RPG if you want. its a first person shooter if you want. its a 3rd person shooter if you want. its a hunting game if you want. its a photo mode game if you want. its a western style game if you want. its a fishing game if you want. its a styling game if you want. soooooo much going on here i could go on! :D
and all these are nice (some new) features... but still, the world behind it, thats what i am looking for the most.
the interaction of NPC's (to me, to each other), the wildlife doing his own thing, the world evolving (see houses and such get build over time)... :D i bet your could do nothing in this world but roaming around looking at the life and it would be entertaining!
so damn looking forward! :BOP:

I disagree though I understand why someone might feel that way. For me both games moved the needle in what can/should be done with open world games, though maybe in more subtle ways.

HZD for me did some things better than just about any open world game before it, but maybe most important was the way it used its HUD and how navigation and exploring worked. In an era defined by Ubisoft creating open world games that felt/feel like your playing a game of chasing icons on the screen (which is still the case with Odyssey, sadly), HZD nailed its HUD, through customization and allowing the entire HUD to disappear from view. It had a hugely beneficial impact on immersion and there's no reason all open world games shouldn't follow that model.

GoW is one of the best games I've ever played so I definitely think it pushed barriers, especially with how fabulous the game combined open world gameplay with an exceptional core linear storyline. And it's use of one single camera shot was something that hadn't been done before, that's certainly groundbreaking. It's level/world design was also something we'd never seen before.

Regardless, while I could understand why you'd say those two games don't make massive updates to the genre, I'm expecting RDR2 to be totally groundbreaking and I can't wait.

"if you turn off the minimap, NPC's dialogue will change - giving you directions involving routes and landmarks."

giphy.gif

I disagree though I understand why someone might feel that way. For me both games moved the needle in what can/should be done with open world games, though maybe in more subtle ways.

HZD for me did some things better than just about any open world game before it, but maybe most important was the way it used its HUD and how navigation and exploring worked. In an era defined by Ubisoft creating open world games that felt/feel like your playing a game of chasing icons on the screen (which is still the case with Odyssey, sadly), HZD nailed its HUD, through customization and allowing the entire HUD to disappear from view. It had a hugely beneficial impact on immersion and there's no reason all open world games shouldn't follow that model.

GoW is one of the best games I've ever played so I definitely think it pushed barriers, especially with how fabulous the game combined open world gameplay with an exceptional core linear storyline. And it's use of one single camera shot was something that hadn't been done before, that's certainly groundbreaking. It's level/world design was also something we'd never seen before.

Regardless, while I could understand why you'd say those two games don't make massive updates to the genre, I'm expecting RDR2 to be totally groundbreaking and I can't wait.
good writing!
i agree with you. you said it so nicely. so lets see it that way: HZD did some important and GOW too (i played both, HZD i liked a bit more than GOW). so RDR2 could add another "new" aspect to games...!
again, great read.
"if you turn off the minimap, NPC's dialogue will change - giving you directions involving routes and landmarks."

giphy.gif
exactly THIS!!! :D

Just popped in RDR 1,haven't played it in a few weeks,very pleased to see it's been remastered from 720p to 4 k in the Xbox X

I played RDR without ever using fast travel, i enjoyed the scenery too much to skip that.

I will be playing with the minimap though.

I played the original through my computer monitor and with headphones. One of my favourite games! But now I've got the Xbox hooked up to the bigger screened TV and with a soundbar hooked up, I was keen to check out the original again before this one comes out...but I'm worried about being fatigued for the new game. Skip it and just play the new one?

I never understand why people come on forums asking others whether they should or should not play a game.
Only one who can really answer that is you.

I never understand why people come on forums asking others whether they should or should not play a game.
Only one who can really answer that is you.
The same reason anyone else asks for advice on a forum - because someone else has done the same thing and has something informative to provide.

I can never understand why someone replies to a comment with nothing constructive to provide, other than to ask why the question was asked.

I've played the game already - was trying to work out from someone who has played a game just before a new version comes out if they feel sick of playing the similar games back to back. I loved playing a couple of Assassins Creed games back to back but they were never as many hours as Red Dead / GTA so I don't think it's comparable.

I played the original through my computer monitor and with headphones. One of my favourite games! But now I've got the Xbox hooked up to the bigger screened TV and with a soundbar hooked up, I was keen to check out the original again before this one comes out...but I'm worried about being fatigued for the new game. Skip it and just play the new one?
It's 8 years old but you should definitely play it. One of the best games ever made, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom