Red Dead Redemption 2

Is the save system broken?

EDITED BY MOD TO ADD SPOILER TAGS:

I recently killed the noncey gunsmith and his young captive in the basement. Quit and loaded the game from a few minutes before I entered the store and the Gunsmith was alive but the boy was dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don’t like Music?! Any music?!
O... K... :THINK:

Don’t know what to say here. But hey... I have a friend who is not eating fruits. None! Each his own even if I might wonder. :BYE:

Red Dead Online’s beta period will begin in a limited capacity tomorrow, November 27, before becoming available to all players on Friday, November 30.

Rockstar has announced that the beta will be released in stages, adding more and more players throughout the week:

• Tuesday, November 27: All Red Dead Redemption 2: Ultimate Edition owners.
  • Wednesday, November 28: All players who played Red Dead Redemption 2 on October 26th according to our data.
  • Thursday, November 29: All players who played Red Dead Redemption 2 between October 26th to October 29th according to our data.
  • Friday, November 30: All players who own Red Dead Redemption 2.
You’ll be able to access the beta from the title screen. If you’re in the earliest stage, access will begin from 5.30am PT / 8.30am ET / 1.30pm UK / 12.30am AET (November 28th).

So whose bright idea was it to map mounting your horse to the same button as grabbing the nearest person by the throat.. .another annoying bounty on my head through no fault of my own

So whose bright idea was it to map mounting your horse to the same button as grabbing the nearest person by the throat.. .another annoying bounty on my head through no fault of my own
I could write an essay about how shit the controls are in this game.

I could write an essay about how shit the controls are in this game.
I honestly dont have any issues whatsoever with the controls.
I put tap assist to double tap or something.
I also changed setting into FPS, where r3 becomes your run button and it took a while to get use to it. But appart of that i never aim gun at people i dont want to, or punch my own horse.
There is a lot to remember with all controls but once it all clicked it works great.

I honestly dont have any issues whatsoever with the controls.

Same, I think too many years of dumbed down games has possibly dumbed down the average gamer's abilities to handle a game that's almost old school in how much depth it has, they expect to play it like an arcade game, racing around on their horse jumping it off cliffs as if it's a 4wd or something.

The only thing I really did with the controls was follow this guide:

For more responsive aiming/control.

If that happened, it literally happened by fault of your own.

Same, I think too many years of dumbed down games has possibly dumbed down the average gamer's abilities to handle a game that's almost old school in how much depth it has, they expect to play it like an arcade game, racing around on their horse jumping it off cliffs as if it's a 4wd or something.

Exactly. You actually have to be mindful in this game. For all the talk of how bad the controls are and how easy it is to shoot or threaten someone when they meant to interact or speak with them, in 100+ hours of gameplay this hasn't happened to me a single time.

Not saying the controls are the best - they certainly aren't; far from it - but they are more than adequate and if you actually pay attention to what you're doing, it's not really much of a problem.

New patch has just been released and is around the 6GB mark on both Xbox and PS4, which includes the Online BETA and various bug fixes.

So might be best to disconnect from the internet and visit Limpany a few times before patching.

What was the fault?

Um, either you pushed the wrong button or you pushed it at the wrong time. Doesn't mean the controls aren't clumsy and unintuitive (they are), but it's still your error. So saying it happened by no fault of your own is literally the opposite of what happened.

The game isn't a simulator like Arma. Other than some of the detail in the environments, there's no "depth" to it.:LOL: It's an action adventure shoot 'em up arcade video game. As such the shooting mechanics should be much better. No matter what control scheme you use, the shooting is clunky and not as fun as it should be. It's been widely reported.;)

Last edited:
Um, either you pushed the wrong button or you pushed it at the wrong time. Doesn't mean the controls aren't clumsy and unintuitive (they are), but it's still your error. So saying it happened by no fault of your own is literally the opposite of what happened.

Wrong, not my error. I pressed triangle while standing next to my horse and should have been able to mount it but for an error in the control system which has double mapped the button to throttle anyone nearby.

You seem to want to argue just for the sake of it so let's leave this here.

This video raises the same point at 1:16 if you still don't believe me for whatever reason.

Wrong, not my error. I pressed triangle while standing next to my horse and should have been able to mount it but for an error in the control system which has double mapped the button to throttle anyone nearby.

You seem to want to argue just for the sake of it so let's leave this here.

This video raises the same point at 1:16 if you still don't believe me for whatever reason.

Don't know why you'd think that I want to argue for the sake of. I essentially agreed with you that the controls can be really poor. I've said it before - this game is the best game world I've ever played but the systems that Rockstar uses to interact with the world are mediocre if not down right rubbish.

But I've not seen a single situation where a button press did something it shouldn't have done. If you strangle someone rather than mount, it means you weren't appropriately oriented toward your horse. Even in that video above, he's at an odd angle. Doesn't mean it's not the game's fault, but he could've been more mindful of his positioning.

The controls are finicky and clumsy and not intuitive at all. I'm not going to defend them. If you want to absolve yourself of all responsibility whatsoever, fine. All I can say is that in 100+ hours with the game, every time I had an action that was not intended by me, it was at least partly my fault and I knew what I should have done differently.

Its says whats on the tin, does it not?
If you choked someone it was saying at the bottom right that if you press triangle you will choke someone. Its not like it says Mount your horse and instead you're chocking people.
There is a lot of things you can interract with and actions you can take, so you have to be more careful when you're in busy area, or switch to first person which helps in more accurate action picking.

Its says whats on the tin, does it not?
If you choked someone it was saying at the bottom right that if you press triangle you will choke someone. Its not like it says Mount your horse and instead you're chocking people.
There is a lot of things you can interract with and actions you can take, so you have to be more careful when you're in busy area, or switch to first person which helps in more accurate action picking.

When did you last play the game? There's no tin and no context menu, I literally tapped triangle to jump on the horse while standing next to it and Arthur darted 3 yards to the nearest person and grabbed them by the neck, as per the video referenced above.

Tested again today, same thing happened.

I don't know why people are defending this, it was easily avoidable. All they had to do was neccesitate a push of L2 to lock on to someone before any assault was possible. This is the case with other actions anyway which makes me think this could be a bug.

When did you last play the game?
Last night.
I must double check, but I think every action has a description in bottom right corner. I dont believe you chocked someone without game letting you know that you will do it by pressing triangle.
This is the case with other actions anyway which makes me think this could be a bug.
Thats possible as well. I also thought every interaction with another person requires L2 focus.

Only time I had issues in selecting right action was at the camp sites after shootouts, where I had a lot of bodies lying around and also chests and other stuff to loot. After looting bodies I was often picking corpses up instead of taking stuff from the table or searching chests.
Thats where I started switching to first person view as it helps in being more accurate.

As for my spoiler how to get a cool horse..
I have tested it yesterday and it didnt work for me. It might be true though.
yes - horses are there. Yes - they are respawning randomly whenever you ride away and come back. But they were all low tier horses, that you can get anywhere else.
Now, I didnt spend much time in there. Maybe 20mins. That fella was saying he got a few great horses after about an hour of trying. But im neither patient, nor interested enough to spend that much time to find out.

Edit: should have added - whole playtime yesterday was a disaster.
First, found a decent horse, just abandoned near train tracks with saddle on it, so i changed the saddle to take him on board. What i didnt know, was that if you do that, you are abandoning your current horse (which was fully bonded). When i went back to find him he was dead, ran over by a train most likely.
Then i spent over 20 minutes doing this "finding cool horse trick" up above and failed. Then i went up the mountains (which took a while to get there) in order to find this White Horse. Wandered around for over half an hour - no luck. So basically altogether i played nearly two hours and achieved nothing and did fuck all. :LOL:
But the best part of it is that I still really enjoyed every bit of those two hours. This world is just pure pleasure to dive into!

Last edited:
Gah completely forgot that playing online requires a PSN+ sub, so on top of the 440 EUR for the second PS4, 2x40 EUR for the two copies of the game I now need to buy PSN+ subs for the wife and I so we can play together, good job the game's worth it!

Played a little online and got past the prologue to unlock the online proper, invited the wife and got into the game session but can't figure out how we can set it so it's just us and not a world filled with random people we don't know nor want to be around?

Gah completely forgot that playing online requires a PSN+ sub, so on top of the 440 EUR for the second PS4, 2x40 EUR for the two copies of the game I now need to buy PSN+ subs for the wife and I so we can play together, good job the game's worth it!

Played a little online and got past the prologue to unlock the online proper, invited the wife and got into the game session but can't figure out how we can set it so it's just us and not a world filled with random people we don't know nor want to be around?
If you got 2 PS4 you can get the game digitally and game share one copy of PSN+ and red dead on both systems

If you got 2 PS4 you can get the game digitally and game share one copy of PSN+ and red dead on both systems

Well we'd both be playing at the same time so not sure how that would work? Anyways no private sessions = no interest in online so we'll forget about it for now and hope they add it :)

Well we'd both be playing at the same time so not sure how that would work? Anyways no private sessions = no interest in online so we'll forget about it for now and hope they add it :)
Doesn't matter if you're playing at the same time, it still works as I do it with a mate

Back
Top Bottom