Referees & Linesmen at WC2010

That ref was insane! One penalty is saved by Casillas with 5 or 6 Spanish players invading the box and he didn't say a thing. Later when Xabi Alonso scores from another penalty, he makes him repeat it because of an invasion... but who cares about invasions when the ball goes straight to the net anyway?

If it wasn't chaotic enough, Alonso misses the second, Fabregas collects the rebound and is brought down by the keeper. But he didn't give the penalty, which was much clearer than Villa's dubious one!

What the hell is going on? It only keeps getting worse every day!

Gotta say though, although not perfect, this Uzbekistani referee has impressed me. Didn't know him prior to World cup and apparently he's only like 32!! Younger than some players! :SHOCK:

But every match I've seen him officiate, he's done VERY well only making maybe one or two wrong calls. Nobody ever gives the refs any praise and I think he's one of the few who deserves a bit of it. ;)

I'd like to think that if Webb had a clear view he would have sent him off, I hope so anyway, shocking challenge.

I really can't understand how Van Bommel and De Jong are still on the pitch. And that Snejder tackle... It's unacceptable how Holland is playing this match and the referee lets it go on. Ashaming. Robben is class, though.

FIFA have confirmed they are investigating Mark Van Bommel and suspect he may be using a cloaking device similar to that of the Predator in order to escape cautions from the referees.

2 more from Van Bommel after midtime. Can't believe it. And in my oppinion, Puyol should have been sent off for grabbing Robben. Pathetic ref.

What a disgrace of a ref webb was. A Frigging disgrace. Ruined this world cup final. Yellow cards that shouldn't be given and red cards that should be given... A very obvious corner kick that wasn't given, no idea what the hell that was about.

Iniesta was diving like an olympic champion. Plus both teams were fouling way too much they ruined the game.

De Jong, Puyol, and Iniesta should've been sent off. De Jong for going all Bruce Lee on Alonso, Puyol for grabbing Robben from behind who was clear on goal, and Iniesta for "hitting" a player without the ball. When Webb was talking to him he knew what he did and he's quite lucky to stay on.

Shit final imo. All thanks to mr. Police man.

Tend to agree, what a shame Englands lasting impression on the 2010 World Cup was that cretin from Rotherham

What a disgrace of a ref webb was. A Frigging disgrace. Ruined this world cup final. Yellow cards that shouldn't be given and red cards that should be given... A very obvious corner kick that wasn't given, no idea what the hell that was about.

Iniesta was diving like an olympic champion. Plus both teams were fouling way too much they ruined the game.

De Jong, Puyol, and Iniesta should've been sent off. De Jong for going all Bruce Lee on Alonso, Puyol for grabbing Robben from behind who was clear on goal, and Iniesta for "hitting" a player without the ball. When Webb was talking to him he knew what he did and he's quite lucky to stay on.

Shit final imo. All thanks to mr. Police man.

Totally agree a crap of final, a lot fouls, a lot diving and cheating and a very bad referee = boring final.

Webb had a poor final but it must have been incredibly difficult to officiate given the cynical nature of the match. If Webb sent off all those players deserving of a red card he would have been accused of ruining the final as well. He was too lenient on players to avoid that criticism. He was in a lose-lose situation whichever approach he took.

I fully agree.

This man could not win. He was in a lose-lose situation. People also don't like the fact that he kept blowing his whistle and awarded like 50 fouls! Well guess what?! Both sets of players were committing fouls every 20 seconds! What should he do?! Let them all go?

For me, he didn't have a good match but he was nowhere near as bad as some say and he had a LOT of tough decisions to make. Many ambiguous ones.

He was pretty fair imo, could have been worse and take this alrdy bad match to other levels:D

Webb had a poor final but it must have been incredibly difficult to officiate given the cynical nature of the match. If Webb sent off all those players deserving of a red card he would have been accused of ruining the final as well. He was too lenient on players to avoid that criticism. He was in a lose-lose situation whichever approach he took.

That's the problem there. He should've decided whether to be too lenient or too strict with yellow cards on both teams for the whole game. Not giving yellows for soft fouls while turning his back on obvious ones.

He should've been decisive right from that Jung Fu style super flying dragon kick and show them who's boss.

Last edited:
What happen if he decided not to dish out yellow cards? The players continue to foul constantly anyway. He didn't want to ruin the final by a sending off (although a couple were lucky not to) and unfortunately, the fouls kept coming.

What happen if he decided not to dish out yellow cards? The players continue to foul constantly anyway. He didn't want to ruin the final by a sending off (although a couple were lucky not to) and unfortunately, the fouls kept coming.

Which means he's a bad ref who can't take control of such games.

It was the players that ruined this final, and they should take a look at themselves. Webb was put in a very difficult situation and I think any of the other refs would have struggled with this game too. Refereeing is such a tough thing to do and I think Webb hoped that if he booked a few players then both teams would be more cautious and calm down. That didn't happen and Webb has taken the flak. If he'd sent 4 players off then he would be considered a joke. What was he to do?

webb folded under pressure when the spain surrounded him. de jong was the most shocking I ever saw and inesta took a swing but no one saw either or they felt inesta was right to take a jab and I never seen inesta worked up like that before. Puyol did held Robben back but robben broke through and for a diver not to dive and was trying to stay up was puzzling. The most impressive fair play that I witness was Robin van Persie kick the ball to castilla from the corner :))

He should sent off a couple of players but he wants to keep it 11 vs 11, a cautious approach which isn't the best option.

Yeah not a fan of Webb at all and wasn't thrilled when he got the final but if anyone out there thinks, any other ref would've done much better, I disagree.

This was just a horribly difficult match to referee. One of the jobs from hell! Lol last thing you'd want! Not just because of 1 billion eyes on you and pressure but because of the way the players played. I can't see any other ref having had this match and people still not talking about his 'decisions' and how he screwed up after the game.

So for me, it's not Howard Webb that screwed up here. Sure, on a couple instances, yeah. But overall, this was a horribly hard match to call and he did reasonably okay.

It was the players that ruined this final, and they should take a look at themselves. Webb was put in a very difficult situation and I think any of the other refs would have struggled with this game too. Refereeing is such a tough thing to do and I think Webb hoped that if he booked a few players then both teams would be more cautious and calm down. That didn't happen and Webb has taken the flak. If he'd sent 4 players off then he would be considered a joke. What was he to do?

Couldn't care less how many stayed on the pitch. For me, the ref has to do his job which is stick to the rules. If there were 9v9 on the pitch then the players have only themselves to blame, and the ref would've done a great job.

Couldn't care less how many stayed on the pitch. For me, the ref has to do his job which is stick to the rules. If there were 9v9 on the pitch then the players have only themselves to blame, and the ref would've done a great job.

I quite agree with what you are saying but I guarantee that if Webb had sent of 4 or 5 players then this thread would still be full of people bitching and moaning, the media would still have given him a hard time, and he still would have got booed by the crowd.

As I said, it's a lose-lose for him.

Yeah lose-lose situation.

And the fact that apparently he doesn't get extra $$$ and only the regular $50K that all referees got for participating in this world cup, makes this an even bigger lose-lose situation for him. :P

That doesn't sound right though. Surely he gets some kind of bonus for having to officiate this match at least and not just the 'honour' of it. :LOL: :P

Back
Top Bottom