Referees & Linesmen at WC2010

Rantboy

International
27 December 2002
Fluminense FC / Arsenal
After the 1st round, I thought the referees were finally gonna be decent at a World Cup, but I was too naive. Right in the beginning of the 2nd round, when the good football started showing up, along they came to ruin the game.

This is a thread dedicated to criticism towards the officials. Whether it is to analyse their performance or just bitch about their poor showing, you guys are welcome to contribute. Normally I wouldn't bother with this, but it has just about escalated to alarming levels!

What made me create this was today's matches. I'll start my rant with the ref of Germany vs Serbia. Couldn't find the fucker's name and won't even bother. All I know is that he comes from Spain. Well this explains so much, as for the last 3 or 4 World Cups, Spanish referees have been ruining it for everyone. IMO, the worst referees in the world are produced there and this guy today perfectly illustrates my point.

To put into simple words, today he called fouls for EVERY contact. Not satisfied stopping the match all the time, thus giving a NFL pace to it, he decided to give away yellow cards without any criteria. Nudges and tackles from behind all received the same treatment. The fun went on until he sent off Miroslav Klose for 2 fouls that wouldn't even be fouls on the Premier League. Funnily enough, the card fest stopped in the 2nd half :O
As a result, Germany was in clear disadvantage. I wonder, if this is a standard procedure in the Spanish League, teams might end up with 7 players each.

The verdict is guilty... not of robbing Germany particularly, but he is to big a liability to be even considered for a World Cup match. Thus, worthy of our Didier Drogba's classification.

fuckindisgrace.png

Now, moving on to USA vs Slovenia, the ref saw some supernatural things, such as a hand growing from USA's Findley's neck.Free kick was awarded for a "hand ball" and he got a yellow for that! As a result, the player is to miss the next match. Un-fuckin-believable.

At last but not least, the disallowed goal. USA were superior, clearly deserved a win, battled for a winner and got it! But all to no avail. I still don't know what the fuck the ref has called there.

As a result, the Americans were denied a victory that they deserved so much after coming from a 0-2 disadvantage. Once again, the refs changing the result.

Also worthy of the title. Cmon, Drog, say it:
fuckindisgrace.png

I keep coming back to the issue of the use of technology in the most important competitions, but this is too obvious a necessity to further discuss here.

Let's see what's next. I'm sure there will be a load more of fuck ups. We're keeping an eye on them.

Re: Referees at WC2010

I do agree with you in all things. I also thought we'd see some good referees from smaller countries, but nearly all matches during the last three or four days showed how bad these guys are. They come from the Seychelles or out of Mali, but honestly, they are no professionals. The game is to fast and to hard to control for them, I would love to see more of the "big and important" referees there instead of the guys from smaller island, which does not even have a pro league.

Edit: I have to add one thing: It is really annoying that today nearly everything is judged a foul. We do not need a rugby match with heavy body checks, but also we do not need such "no-touching-rules", which you can find f.e. in Handball. Another bad fact is the number of cards. I am having the feeling you get a card for nearly everything these days. The cards against Klose were right, no way around this, but as a ref you can look over some smaller things and give an oral report without directly showing something.

Last edited:

I do agree with you in all things. I also thought we'd see some good referees from smaller countries, but nearly all matches during the last three or four days showed how bad these guys are. They come from the Seychelles or out of Mali, but honestly, they are no professionals. The game is to fast and to hard to control for them, I would love to see more of the "big and important" referees there instead of the guys from smaller island, which does not even have a pro league.

Edit: I have to add one thing: It is really annoying that today nearly everything is judged a foul. We do not need a rugby match with heavy body checks, but also we do not need such "no-touching-rules", which you can find f.e. in Handball. Another bad fact is the number of cards. I am having the feeling you get a card for nearly everything these days. The cards against Klose were right, no way around this, but as a ref you can look over some smaller things and give an oral report without directly showing something.

I personally thought he was extremely harsh on Klose. He didn't give him a single oral warning/caution. He moved on to showing cards no matter what!

Not only with Klose, not only with Germany, as some Serbia players received cards as well, in a match which a good referee could control without many difficulties, because it was not a violent one.

I was checking some match stats and that ref distributed 9 cards :SHOCK:

Every Serbia defender got Yellow in the end. Nothing more to say...I saw an extremely fair match between Germany and Serbia. The amount of cards could give a total different impression to someone who didn't watch.

XDDD, made my day.

I personally thought he was extremely harsh on Klose. He didn't give him a single oral warning/caution. He moved on to showing cards no matter what!

That is what I meant. You can give the second yellow card, but in the case of someone already booked once, you should show a little bit of sure instinct without directly sending him off.

USA were robbed. There were multiple penaltys being done by Serbian defenders, USA scores anyway and the ref stops the play for an ofensive foul...

Guess they don't know their rules at Mali :LOL:

If Podolski wouldnt miss those chances,or if Klose wouldnt make the 2nd foul which was very unnecessary then we were not talking about this here now,the first half except Khedira's shot,Germany did nothing,I know the refree was too hard,i wonder if he ever smile in his life ,never seen someone nervous as much as him,but anyway we dont have to blame everything on him..

Last edited:

No one is blaming him. Just saying he did a bad performance. Even if Klose's foul was unnecessary(it was doubtless), he must not directly sent him off.

Look at my post in the Germany thread, it was mostly the fault of our attackers, because they did not manage to score just one goal. But still the ref did a bad work. To us Germans and to the Serbians as well. Just look at the yellow cards for the Serbian defence(and all other, too). Some of them were really ridiculous. But we are still in and we will definitely reach the final rounds of the tournament.

The officials from Uzbekistan have been excellent.

They all have to pass fitness criteria to be officials at the WC. However some of the chaps ie from the Seychelles looked out of their depth.

So perhaps more officials from more high pressure leagues might be nice.

But it's hard to blame the officials all the time when players are constantly trying to deceive them. And until Blatter is taken out of FIFA HQ in a coffin there will be no introduction of technology to help them.

I think it is good to penalize players who cynically trip, pull shirts and hack to disrupt the opposition.

That's not the art of defending. Good defenders know where to position themselves by reading the game.

Players like Sammer, Scirea, Baresi, Moore, Passarella vis a vis someone like Gentile.

Personally I think the art of defending has declined.

Same as all players on field.
Every Serbia defender got Yellow in the end. Nothing more to say...I saw an extremely fair match between Germany and Serbia. The amount of cards could give a total different impression to someone who didn't watch.
Totaly agree...ALso we play from penalty to end with 4 yellow cards,but smart not like Klose...Why he come on midfield and make foul and he know what is level for yellows. Also for all german yellow we got it.

USA got f'n robbed!!

And yeah that f'n yellow to Findley was ridiculous too! :RANT:

Same as all players on field.

Totaly agree...ALso we play from penalty to end with 4 yellow cards,but smart not like Klose...Why he come on midfield and make foul and he know what is level for yellows. Also for all german yellow we got it.

To be fair to the referee before he booked Klose for his first card he had warned him when he kneed Ivanovic in the back of the leg.

You cannot say he was not warned.

The referee in the Germany v Serbia game reminded me of that Ivanov bloke from the Portugal v Netherlands match in World Cup 2006, where he set his stall out from the first foul and was giving yellow and red cards out like sweets. Having watched Spanish football a lot on TV for the last 10-15 years it doesn't surprise me, officials there are very card happy in my opinion.

Also that referee in Germany's first game was extremely over the top in giving Tim Cahill a straight red card, when a yellow card was sufficient punishment. After that there were a few tackles which were not unlike Cahill's which didn't even get punished. Prior to that incident, the standard of officiating had been generally good up to then I thought.

The least said about the Malian referee from yesterday the better, I have seen better refereeing performances in parks leagues. It all boils down to the matter of consistency, or rather the lack of it!

I know it's a hard job - but some of these performances have been woeful.

To add to those mentioned above, the one Frontliner picked up on between Aus and Germany - that ref has a reputation for being a card-happy prick, is a card-happy prick in the match (never a red, at least FIFA had hte balls to overrule it) but the real question is what is a card-happy prick like that doing at hte tournament?

Not that it's the only thing that makes me wonder but why would FIFA choose these people? It's like sending the worst guy at your office to go present to your biggest client. Just pure, unadulterated sutpidity (but that's kind of FIFA in a nutshell isn't it).

Also, anyone else noticed that extra time isn't being played to the full allocation? It's a 'MINIMUM' of x minutes. Almost every match I've seen so far has blown before the x minute mark. Just a fundamental mistake, however much the ref wants to get out of there.

many WC referees are shit...i realy dont know where FIFA found them......

VIDEO is the only solution

No chance mon ami. Not until Blatter and Platini pass away along with Escalette ,Warner and Grondona and all the old dinosaurs who treat FIFA as a personal private members club.

Money comes first, football second.

This is sure, until those dinosaurs, as we say in france, aren't out, nothing will move

Some really shocking decisions in the last few games from referees, but whether FIFA will take action remains to be seen. There was talk of some refereeing conference taking place today but I doubt the ones who made the controversial decisions had nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Keïta and Vidal both conned the refs with their thespian displays, I thought that referee in the Chile v Switzerland today was one of the worst of the tournament so far (just as bad as the one from Mali). He was shocking and gave some really questionable bookings, such as Nkufo for a shirt-pull near the halfway line, and Fernández for being fouled (he even booked another Chilean just seconds later for almost nothing). Probably one of those language-barrier "I don't know what you mean so I'm booking you" routines.

Will FIFA do something about it? No chance!

After seeing the completely wrong and over motivated red cards against Behrami and Gourcuff yesterday and right now, I have to say the referees at this world cup are the worst of all the men on the pitch. I think the best way to prevent such bad decisions would be the video solution as we have in some other sports already. Too bad that FIFA and UEFA are having antique monkeys in leading positions, because this would give us fast, true and good football (back).

This Referees are a Shame. The red card yesterday für Behrami was absurd and the red card for Gourcuff, too.

I thought both red cards were spot on.

And why? I see no reason for giving them. Both were given for normal duels, there was no intention to hurt the opponent in both cases. Villa deserved a red card, because this is clearly a scuffle.

And why? I see no reason for giving them. Both were given for normal duels, there was no intention to hurt the opponent in both cases. Villa deserved a red card, because this is clearly a scuffle.

The Honduran defender stepped him...

Back
Top Bottom