Removal of the post count.

Sulph

Goodbye...
28 September 2003
I am coming to you with an idea, you do not have to accept, however, i feel that this is an important issue.

To get rid of spamming, I wont mention any names, i think that the post count should be removed, it has no purpose. People should be judged by the intelligence of their banter and not by the number of their post count, its ridiculous, once again, i am not mentioning any names but i think its blatantly obvious that some of us evo webbers have been posting over 200 posts within the last week, none of which serve any purpose.

Ive seen this system be implemented at other forums and it has worked wonders, the members that are respected and looked up to are the ones that make the most sense, not make the most posts.

I agree with this actually (and no, this isn't a post boost!! I actually do agree as there's no real point to the posts count anyway, apart from the more sad people using it as a "my cock's bigger than yours" thing.

lol, nice one Kezz!

I don't care about post count either, however will it really remove the spamming from some members?? I don't think it will help all that much, however if it means there is even a slight improvement then I am all for it.

As your last sentence said, even if there's a chance of an improvement it's worth it. I don't think it will remove too much spamming, but what's to lose? The post count serves no purpose anyway.

Here's hoping it's implemented and that it helps - I mean there's a few really nice guys here who've done nothing wrong, but their post count is made up of well-dones and questions already answered, and it's incredibly annoying (just like real life though I suppose, when you've got your friend's sister's cousin's auntie's cousin's daughter on the blower telling you how Paul's left windscreen wiper is a slightly different thickness than the right one but the bloke at Kwik Fit wouldn't even look at it).

(See, if there was no post count, here's an example of one post that may have been removed, and 60 seconds of your life you'd have back)

Oh and Kezz, you could always put your post count in your sig and update it every time you make a post! :vik:

Last edited:
I dont like removing it altogether, as it can help highlight these people and they can be sent a PM or told to stop posting useless crap.

I wonder is there any way it can be removed for normal users but left for mods to be able to see? That would be a perfect solution, and would stop the cock measuring contests (you'll never beat me anyway so dont try) and hopefully the people that feel the need to post a lot the few weeks after they join just to not be deemed a "n00b".

*** This message was brought to you and typed by Dar's phallus ***

Actually, it sounds like a good idea to us as well, so we're gonna take a look into it. Unfortunately, there's no simple option for disabling it in our software panel, so Mart will have some digging to do :mrgreen:

@Chris: Maybe I'm even gonna change the rules, so that it's only me who's allowed to have a .gif pic in sig as a counter ;)

@Cowb0y: I think that's not possible, the flooding control seems pretty basic. And I don't think we have a daily spam problem anyway, do we?

edit @Dar: Ask Mart as he's your boyfriend! 8)

If you start getting banned for making a certain amount of posts, then whats the point of a forum? I for example make 10 or less posts a day, would that be spamming? What if I made 25 posts, but actual posts that say something instead of just "yeh".

Ok, post counts have disappeared from threads and profile pages except for mods/admins who can still see them. Easy enough to change back if necessary.

Anywhere else they can be seen?

Seriously, a wise move.

Post counts are utterly pointless. People are not their post count, not matter what they believe

Good idea really, although I post quite alot I wouldn't consider it as spam, but as you say having post counts visible is utter useless, but then again so is join date?

I quite like join dates, it's handy when someone's posted something like a free iPod thread, if they just joined up to post that then we can safely ban them straight away.

Yea, but then "some" people who joined like 3 years ago think they are better than those who just joined. I don't think people should be judged by join date or post count, but by their posts.

Yes, but at least join dates dont affect spamming, only the post counts do.

Back
Top Bottom