IRELAND thread

Re: Ireland Thread (Come on you Boys in Green)

Coleman is a mystery. Did he fall out with Trappatoni before ? Long behind Cox ?

Also taking Sean Murray would have offered more on the flank and in midfield than Green. The boy is quality especially at set pieces.

I don't know to be honest.

I don't seem to remember seeing Trap at any Premier League matches in recent years. Maybe he does, but I can't recall seeing him. I don't know how active he really is in picking the players, seems he's there to organize and coach them in a low stress job.

If that is the case, it would go some way to explaining why certain players are frozen out.

I don't recall seeing him at any EPL matches either and although I respect the man, I do find his selections somewhat puzzling too.

Is Seamus Coleman injured? That'd make sense but why is Ireland's most deadly goal scorer these days, Shane Long on the bench and rarely even getting minutes as a sub?

Anyway, tonight Damien Duff will captain the side out apparently as it is his 100th cap! Keane has given him the armband for tonight.

The Irish supporters certainly won that aspect of the tournament, too bad the team didn't deliver. But all in all, I didn't really expect a win against Italy. You have nothing to be ashamed of though, everybody (except maybe the English) loves you!

You have nothing to be ashamed of though, everybody (except maybe the English) loves you!

I know you are only joking but from my experience most English people like to see Ireland do well. It's only the nationalist idiots that don't. Many English people have Irish blood, hence why so many English born players are in the Ireland squad. The majority of these players are at English clubs.

Anyway, Ireland fans are top notch and real ambassadors for the sport. Good natured, passionate and friendly, the way it should be. I wish England fans were the same.

glad thats all over, the real tournament starts tomorrow,cmon england!!!

Ironically, Trapattoni used all his forwards tonight. The team needs a good striker Gomez-esque to score, since McGeady, Keane and Duff provide good quality.

Is Seamus Coleman injured? That'd make sense but why is Ireland's most deadly goal scorer these days, Shane Long on the bench and rarely even getting minutes as a sub?

Coleman was injured for a while, but he was fit by season's end. Should have been in the squad without question.
All that they've done now is deprive one of the few quality Irish players the experience of a major tournament.

Plenty of Irish like to take digs at the English for their high expectations going into tournaments. I'd rather have that mentality than the one shown in Ireland.

1st time since the 1970s that ireland have lost 3 in a row, its not all doom and gloom for the WC qualifiers,if i was Trap id change the formation to a 4-5-1 with the players we have available.

id set the new team up like this(pending retirements)

given
coleman dunne oshea duff
mcgeady mccarthy gibson mcclean
houlihan
long/walters

all premier league players and a stronger midfield

Well, goodbye "guys in the green", I was very happy to watch your team (starting with the qualifying round) and for your wonderful fans, which recognize the best in this Euro almost everything. It is a pity that you did not manage to score points in this group, but all you have to come. Gain experience and hope to see your team at the World Cup 2014 in Brazil and at the Euro-2016 in France. And finally, I can tell you that in spite of these lesions, if I was an Irishman, I would be very proud of his team. Good luck guys! ;)

Back
Top Bottom