Resident Evil 2 Remake [PC/PS4/Xbox]

gabe.paul.logan

Retired Footballer
7 January 2007
Budapest
Hungary
Cover:
MV5BNzIzYmEwN2YtN2Q1YS00OTA4LWExNzgtNDgxNWU4NGIxMDU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxNDQwMzA@._V1_SY1000_SX...jpg

Platforms: PS4/Xbox One/PC
Release Date: 25 Jan 2019

Developer: Capcom
Genre: Survival Horror

Description:
Resident Evil 2 is a survival horror game developed and published by Capcom. A remake of the 1998 game of the same name

The hell is wrong with this forum that i had to make this thread on launch day?

Dxsfx6pX4AAzOih.jpg:large

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-ordered and bought on Xbox.

Demo was ok, ran like shit on PC.

But been getting some excellent reviews so hoping the full game is better than the demo and the number of Zombies is reduced to make it scarier and more atmospheric.
I liked the originals as you didn't know what was round the corner is there a Zombie there or not, but in the demo they were everywhere, so there is no suspense or atmosphere.

Just initial thoughts, but this is one of my most anticipated games this year along with Shenmue and Last of Us 2, so just don't want to be disappointed.

Agree demo was ok. But nothing extraordenary for me... although about the suspense i liked the way the fixed cam angles are substituted with tight and lot of narrow angled corridors so you cant see much what around the corner.

I probably buy it sooner or later. Still had to finish RE0 first and i have RE7 on PC too untouched with all the dlcs.

Its on sale now on the ps store, picked it up with Doom 3 :D
Ummm RE2 looks really crap sometimes on my Pro however. Some of the surface reflections are horrible and parts of the cut scenese are very blurry. Is it RE Engine or the Pro, or only the PS4?

Game of the year?
Finally got around to start playing this. Got the first key of the mansion.
Everything seems spot on so far. Zombies are actually scary yet after 20 yrs of endless zombie games.

No spoilers.

Definitely my game of the year for 2020, but then there wasn't many decent games released.

I was surprised by the full game, as the demo really sucked.

Just got it going. Im at the point when i met mr x and i was running back to the save room straight away. Nope considering what a pain in the ass dealing with a zombie already. Damn the game sucked me in badly. Atmosphere is amazing, actually i favour the lack of music, so scary to listen to the cracks, noises,footsteps in the building. The zombies are scary too, sometimes they take a lot of bullets sometimes they go down quickly just so they can get up and gang up on you. I tried to butcher the bodies with my knife only to realize it gets worn down. I love also how the characters get bloody and dirty over time and how they sometimes say "the fuck?" when they encounter something weird. Puzzles are there too. Not badly difficult or require a lot of back track but they present a challenge. Voice acting is also great. Game got really grounded and griddy.

Capcom is still master of survivor horror.
Indeed looks like game of the year.
Cant wait to go home and play it. Havent felt this for a long time for a game. This is the perfect remake, perfect example where the old meets the new.

I am hoping Konami at some point do a remake of the original Silent Hill, but do an actual proper job.
Never played it when it originally came out, and couldn't play it now as although I play Amiga games occasionally, PS1, PS2 games now just look incredibly dated and just outright awful.

I am hoping Konami at some point do a remake of the original Silent Hill, but do an actual proper job.
Never played it when it originally came out, and couldn't play it now as although I play Amiga games occasionally, PS1, PS2 games now just look incredibly dated and just outright awful.

SH is still depressingly horrific. Also visuall ps1 wise its groundbreaking how they used the fog and the darkness+lighter combo.

my biggest gaming regret is never finishing Silent Hill 1. I think I came pretty close, was fighting some giant wasp when I fell off it for various reasons. That game haunts me to this day, so effective. I do have it on the PS Vita so I could go back I guess but... I know it wouldn't be the same.

It's like Resi 4, what an absolute gem, I bought a Gamecube for that game and didn't regret it, finished it when it came out and although I have eyed it many times during various PSN sales I just know it wouldn't be the same experience, I would rather just have the memory of my first encounter.

God damn these zombies.
I had a few instances now where i leave the f*ckers "alive", which means not blowing off their head or not chopping them up with my knife...and when i just burst through the area later they hide next to the door or just around the corner where you would logically run pass and they jump at you from behind so you cant even use defense items :D

The zombies are scary too, sometimes they take a lot of bullets sometimes they go down quickly just so they can get up and gang up on you. I tried to butcher the bodies with my knife only to realize it gets worn down. I love also how the characters get bloody and dirty over time and how they sometimes say "the fuck?" when they encounter something weird. Puzzles are there too. Not badly difficult or require a lot of back track but they present a challenge. Voice acting is also great. Game got really grounded and griddy.
The game balancing and design is so on point in this remake. The idea they went for is to create a believable world where Zombie are genuinely unpredictable & a threat like they are to the rest of Raccoon City's inhabitants.

Zombies don't have a formula for elimination like the old games, They're designed not to be a trope anymore and that the limited resources in the game provide a good old fashioned strategic challenge. After all, If this was real, You'd be lucky to find any ammunition lying around let alone take weapon top ups for granted just because it's a game and this is one of the rules of the medium.

We can cross our fingers that Konami have an awakening and recognise that in the west especially, They'll me leaving silly money on the table for not revisiting their prize franchises such as Metal Gear,Silent Hill & Castlevania and doing them a proper service.

As an aficionado of retro games, even i can agree with your sentiment that SH1 hasn't aged as well as the PSX Resident Evil games but at the time when gamers had nothing to compare 3D games to, It was an instant cult classic and a pioneer of the genre. Resident Evil had a more comfortable, Cinematic Hollywood tone to it but Silent Hill was an unapologetic, Underground horror that relied on mood and tension which influenced Survival horror for years to come.

However i would definatley suggest trying out Silent Hill 2 if you can, Certainly hasn't aged poorly at all, The worst you could say about it is the tank controls by modern standards but in the context of the game and it's fixed camera angles, It's easy to adjust to and makes sense.

Silent Hill 2 is considered to be the best in the franchise, A true masterpiece and an artistic triumph
SH is still depressingly horrific. Also visuall ps1 wise its groundbreaking how they used the fog and the darkness+lighter combo.
It truly was a genius design choice as it was wasn't even intentional, It was merely to cover up the very apparent lack of draw distance which ironically became the series visual trademark.

Yes indeed, however its still believable somewhat to find ammo as we are at a police station :D I think the 2nd title is the only exception for this.

The only thing i disliked a bit is Ada and Leon kissing scene, it was way premature and the relationship was underdeveloped. Its still on high level compared to the original and of course the game's length is limited due to the original concept so oh well... i guess not much choice here. I wish i havent played Last Of Us or Uncharted games where all characters felt natural and well explored. Damn you Naughty Dog.

Entering the Nest tonight here we go!

Finished it, Leon A. Great game, best RE ever. The only downfall are the inconsistent story lines for Claire and Leon. They dont extend the story but rewrite it since both Leon and Claire fights the same monsters in the same time.

Are the B scenarios that different?

Last edited:
I noticed Leon B starts off different than A, perhaps having different sections too but i dont want play it if it spoils the experience of Clair A or B.

To be honest i dont expect much story spoilers and i dont mind them, as i played the original but just in regular the whole experience rather. And i want to play Clair with my brother first.

But i always thought
Leon A = Clair B
Leon B = Clair A

right?

I don't know.
I played Claire A and Leon B..

Didn't see the point of playing both parts, the story probably doesn't change much, if at all.

I don't know.
I played Claire A and Leon B..

Didn't see the point of playing both parts, the story probably doesn't change much, if at all.

Should be the same just you may see a tad bit different areas of the map or get other weapons, you may get keys in different order perhaps but surely no story change you are right.

The actor who plays Albert Wesker has leaked they are doing a remake of Resident Evil 4, although it looks like it won't be coming anytime soon and most likely 2023.

Why? Why would you remind me about this game?

I almost cried when I thought Ada had died (well, pretty much... We all know it didn't happen after all) the first time I played the original game.

I don't want to go through all this again. šŸ˜­
...but I must, someday. Resident Evil 2 was one of my favourite games ever so there's no way I won't play the remake sooner or later.

The actor who plays Albert Wesker has leaked they are doing a remake of Resident Evil 4, although it looks like it won't be coming anytime soon and most likely 2023.
It would be cheaper for Capcom to just pay these guys who retextured the entire game with TLC and re-release that instead of the lazy upscaled HD version they released themselves.

Also, As much as RE4 is beloved by die hard fans, I think it doesn't really need remaking, The original is just fine and holds up far better than anything else from that era not to mention, Every 3rd person shooter since then has been inspired by and greatly improved the design of that game, that even REmake2 is a far better RE4 game than RE4.

Back
Top Bottom