Rock Band Thread

FlawlessCowboy

Stunted
5 July 2004
Coventry, UK
Harmonix, developer of the blockbuster Guitar Hero franchise, has today announced Rock Band, an all-new platform for music fans and gamers to interact with music like never before. Rock Band will allow gamers to perform music from the world’s biggest rock artists with their friends as a virtual band using drum, bass/lead guitar and microphone peripherals, in addition to offering deep online connectivity. Built on unprecedented deals with the world’s biggest record labels and music publishers, the music featured in Rock Band will span all genres of rock and include many of the master recordings from the biggest songs and artists of all time. Rock Band is slated for release on PS3 and Xbox 360.

The leading music publishers - EMI Music Publishing and Warner/Chappell Music - are allowing unrivaled access to their catalogs of incredible songs for use in Rock Band. The record labels - EMI Music, Hollywood Records, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group's Universal Music Enterprises and Warner Music Group's Rhino Entertainment - have agreed to supply master recordings by their artists for use in the game.

“Harmonix was founded to create new ways for everyone to experience the pleasure and satisfaction that comes from playing music. Our work on Guitar Hero was an instrumental step toward that goal,” stated Alex Rigopulos, co-founder and CEO of Harmonix. “But Rock Band is Harmonix’s most ambitious project to date, and it will take music gameplay to an entirely new level. MTV has given us the freedom and the resources to really swing for the fences and make the game we’ve always wanted to make.” “Our vision for Rock Band is to completely change the way people interact with and enjoy the music they love,” said Jeff Yapp, EVP, MTV Program Enterprises. “By joining forces with EA and the music industry’s largest record labels and publishers, we are striving to create a groundbreaking new platform that allows people to connect with their favorite music and artists in ways they never have before.” “Rock Band is a revolutionary new way for gamers and music fans to experience music,” said David DeMartini, vice president and general manager of EA Partners. “The team at EA Partners is thrilled to help MTV and Harmonix launch this incredible game on the global stage and get it into the hands of gamers worldwide.”

As previously announced, Electronic Arts will serve as the exclusive distribution and marketing partner for Rock Band, managing distribution for the game in US, Europe and Australia.

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8270

http://www.rockbandgame.com/

Last edited:
Rock Band

Dunno if we already had a thread for this but i cant find it.

HARMONIX, MTV: MUSIC TELEVISION AND EA ANNOUNCE Rock Band - THE ULTIMATE INTERACTIVE MUSIC VIDEOGAME EXPERIENCE

Creators of Guitar Hero(tm) Franchise Partners with Major Record Labels and Music Publishers for Unprecedented Access to Artist Catalogs and Original Masters for New Game

CAMBRIDGE, MA - April 2, 2007 - Harmonix, developer of the blockbuster Guitar Hero(tm) franchise, MTV: Music Television, a division of MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), and Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced Rock Band, an all-new platform for music fans and gamers to interact with music like never before. Rock Band will allow gamers to perform music from the world's biggest rock artists with their friends as a virtual band using drum, bass/lead guitar and microphone peripherals, in addition to offering deep online* connectivity. Built on unprecedented deals with the world's biggest record labels and music publishers, the music featured in Rock Band will span all genres of rock and include many of the master recordings from the biggest songs and artists of all time. Rock Band is slated for release on PLAYSTATION(R)3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360(tm) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft(R) in holiday 2007.

The leading music publishers - EMI Music Publishing and Warner/Chappell Music - are allowing unrivaled access to their catalogs of incredible songs for use in Rock Band. The record labels - EMI Music, Hollywood Records, Rhino Entertainment (Warner Music Group), Sony BMG Music Entertainment and Universal Music Enterprises - have agreed to supply master recordings by their artists for use in the game.

"Harmonix was founded to create new ways for everyone to experience the pleasure and satisfaction that comes from playing music. Our work on Guitar Hero was an instrumental step toward that goal," stated Alex Rigopulos, co-founder and CEO of Harmonix. "But Rock Band is Harmonix's most ambitious project to date, and it will take music gameplay to an entirely new level. MTV has given us the freedom and the resources to really swing for the fences and make the game we've always wanted to make."

"Our vision for Rock Band is to completely change the way people interact with and enjoy the music they love," said Jeff Yapp, EVP, MTV Program Enterprises. "By joining forces with EA and the music industry's largest record labels and publishers, we are striving to create a groundbreaking new platform that allows people to connect with their favorite music and artists in ways they never have before."

"Rock Band is a revolutionary new way for gamers and music fans to experience music," said David DeMartini, said vice president and general manager of EA Partners. "The team at EA Partners is thrilled to help MTV and Harmonix launch this incredible game on the global stage and get it into the hands of gamers worldwide."

As previously announced, Electronic Arts will serve as the exclusive distribution and marketing partner for Rock Band, managing distribution for the game in US, Europe and Australia.

For more information on Rock Band and Harmonix Music Systems please visit www.rockbandgame.com and www.harmonixmusic.com.

Re: Rock Band

It's been mentioned before - I think it was in the Guitar Hero / Guitar Hero II thread.

This game could be a really powerful release; I know two people who don't have consoles and generally aren't interested with them, but play Guitar Hero over here occasionally. After telling them about Rock Band (and the online features), they both said that they will get a console especially for it when it's released.

Could Rock Band be the new GTA?

Re: Rock Band - Harmonix, 360 / PS3

rock-band-20070621113948511.jpg

rock-band-20070621113949245.jpg

More images here

Oh my God that is brilliant, lower keys for higher notes! :D More seperation between different kinds of notes, that is something that bugged me a little with the last two. Cannot WAIT for this.

Would you recommend this to someone who wants to learn how to play a Real electric guitar? If so I might have to go for this!

Yes and no. It gets your hands used to the movements you'll have to make, but on a real guitar you don't just put your finger on one "block" and hold the whole "block" down, you have to put them at various points in-between - which is why I'll never be able to play a real guitar, it's very, very hard. So movement-wise it might help prepare you, but you won't be able to play anything when you go and get a real one.

Cheers JB, my fiancee has lessons and is pretty good. I might take lessons off the same teacher as her.

Oh my God. That looks out of this world.

I'm almost as excited about this as I am about FIFA 08.

This game is going to out of the world. I loved both Guitar Heroes, and the fact that I will be able to play drums on a game is just fantastic! This is going to be super awesome!

Oh my God. That looks out of this world.

I'm almost as excited about this as I am about FIFA 08.

Thats nothing apparently

Hey all,

The video of a trailer you may have seen on various sites was taken from a conference where attendees are generally encouraged to be casual and show off the new stuff they are working on privately. Apparently an attendee videotaped the talk. The trailer was made from an old build of the game quite some time ago for internal purposes- basically to get people working on the game excited. The song was one we have considered for the game but haven?t locked down, and you may have noticed that the trailer footage was made so long ago that the people in the video are playing old instruments and prototypes. I guess what I am saying is- this isn?t official and doesn?t really reflect the final game at all. We?ll be releasing a lot of info next week from much newer builds of the game with finalized songs.

i've tried to play guitar hero in the past but i'm just no good at it so i can't imagine that i'll be any good at this so i'll use Singstar as the game that will get my family around my PS3 (when i get one)

Just been looking at the video for this and you can download every Metallica song you want for it my fave band. You should see the size of my erection right now it's at least 2".

Where did you get that info from mate?

Enter Sandman will be included in the "Rock Band" video game coming out this year.

There's been a lot of chatter over the years about Metallica and video games . . . we finally have a release date for you on one! We're psyched to be a part of a cool new game, “Rock Band,” which comes out in time to be on everyone's wish list for Santa. The game is kinda like four games in one - you can be the lead singer, play guitar, bass, or drums . . . or you can get your buddies, family members, whomever, to be in your band. The game can be played on your Xbox 360 or Playstation3 and we'll keep you posted as we get more details and a firm release date.
To peruse the “official” press release, see below:

METALLICA LETS FANS DIG DEEPER WITH ROCK BAND™

Harmonix, MTV Games and the Superstar Band Bring Multiple Tracks to Rock Band Videogame Game Disc to Feature The Band's Iconic Hit “Enter Sandman”

SANTA MONICA, CA - July 11, 2007- Harmonix, the leading developer of music-based games, MTV Games, a division of MTV Networks which is a division of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), and rock icons Metallica announced today a deal that will showcase the incredible depth of the band's music in the highly anticipated videogame Rock Band™. The Grammy-award winning thrashers are making key tracks from their celebrated catalog available as digitally-distributed game levels. The incomparable metal song “Enter Sandman,” will ship on the game's disc this holiday season.

“Metallica is one of the best loved bands in the world and their albums redefined hard rock and metal. Its one of the bands we had to bring to the Rock Band experience,” said Alex Rigopulos, co-founder and CEO of Harmonix. “Rock Band will allow gamers to jam with the guys through their long, successful career, from young, raw talent to mega stars, playing the hard-rocking sounds that the band is known for.”

Distributed by Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS), Rock Band is a new platform for music fans and gamers to interact with music like never before. Offering four music games in one - Rock Band challenges rockers to master the lead/bass guitar, drums, and vocals or play in a cooperative band experience. Built on unprecedented deals with the world's biggest record labels and music publishers, the music featured in Rock Band will span all genres of rock and include many of the master recordings from the greatest songs and artists of all time.

Best known for its thrash-metal sounds, Metallica's 11 albums have sold more than 95 million copies over their 26-year career. Easily one of the most influential and intense metal bands of all time, the range of Metallica songs that will be available to Rock Band players will allow them to play along as the history of the genre unfolds

And saw it on a video on tinternet somewhere.

sounds good on paper but the price puts me off as well as knowing that if i only buy the guitar then there will be achievements (Achievements aren't the end of the world) and song unlocks, characters etc...i cant get because ive not bought and completed the SP mode with the mic or drums.

So ill be paying full price for a game i can only get 25% out of.

People complain about DLC that costs MS points and basically unlocks content that was already on the disc. and this is the same - you'll have content on the disc that you cant get to unless you pay out more money for the drums/guitar/mic

Plus i didn't give a crap about singstar so i definitely wont care about singing along to this game and looking like a 13yr old school girl in her bedroom listening/singing along to the radio.

One good thing - i like the idea of the 2 fret note areas on the guitar - that makes perfect sense and a good addition. though i wonder how it will play using the GH2 guitars

Cannot wait for this game! Wonder if its worth importing from US - reckon it would work?

Speaking to our sister site, GamesIndustry.biz, Electronic Arts has confirmed that Rock Band will hit US shops on 23rd November.
The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 bundles will be priced at USD 169.99. They will both include the game, a microphone and a wired drum kit. However, the 360 version will come with a wired guitar and USB hub, while the PS3's axe will be wireless.
The PlayStation 2 version won't arrive until 10th December but it will be slightly cheaper at USD 159.99. You'll be able to buy the game and the instruments separately if you're mean or poor.

News of the pricing emerged after the Rock Band listing was changed on Amazon.com, and Harmonix told Gamespot the new details were correct. Now an EA representative has said it's true too, but wouldn't reveal how much the game will cost in Europe. More as soon as we get it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=84459

Speaking to our sister site, GamesIndustry.biz, Electronic Arts has confirmed that Rock Band will hit US shops on 23rd November.
The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 bundles will be priced at USD 169.99. They will both include the game, a microphone and a wired drum kit. However, the 360 version will come with a wired guitar and USB hub, while the PS3's axe will be wireless.
The PlayStation 2 version won't arrive until 10th December but it will be slightly cheaper at USD 159.99. You'll be able to buy the game and the instruments separately if you're mean or poor.

News of the pricing emerged after the Rock Band listing was changed on Amazon.com, and Harmonix told Gamespot the new details were correct. Now an EA representative has said it's true too, but wouldn't reveal how much the game will cost in Europe. More as soon as we get it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=84459

I gotta feeling its gonna cost us that in pounds?

Dont care though, I'm saving for this and getting it as soon as it comes out. I cannot wait! I loved GH - gonna get GH3, but dont think its going to be a patch on RB...

I wouldnt mind getting this but it seems like a 10 year olds toy

Back
Top Bottom